Poll

How much would you spend on a mattress?

0-500
500-1,000
1,000-1,500
1,500-2,500
2,500+

Author Topic: How much would you spend on a mattress?  (Read 48787 times)

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« on: February 10, 2015, 07:02:54 PM »
So this one is pretty straight forward...  I have back issues and we are looking at replacing our current mattress with a memory foam mattress.  I slept on a memory foam mattress last summer and the difference I felt over a couple days was amazing.  I have researched various memory foam mattresses and I have found some decent ones online but I doubt I will be able to convince my wife to get one without testing it out first.  We tested several out at our local furniture store today and found one we both like but its 1,200.00.  We definitely have not made up our minds yet but I'm having a hard time justifying a $1,200.00 mattress...

All of this got me wondering where the MMM community stands on mattress purchases.  Is it worth it to shell over big bucks for a mattress?  How much would you spend on a good mattress?

Also, we have no debt other than a mortgage and are currently saving 50-60% of our income.

Look forward to your responses!

SS
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:14:13 PM by StudentStacher »

fxsts12

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How much would you spend on a mattress?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:10:21 PM »
I spent $1,000 on a floor model in 1996 and was told you keep a matress for 10 to 15 years. At 19 years there is no place to replace just flip it over. Somethings are worth the money but can also be purchased at a better price point.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 07:10:57 PM »
I bought my mattress late last year for $350.  It was exactly what I needed - I don't have back problems at all, but I find I really dislike soft mattresses so I bought a hard one.  I plan to hold onto that sucker for as long as I feasibly can.

A mattress to me is something you shouldn't skimp on.  You seem to be in good shape financially and this will definitely affect your quality of life, so I say spring (no pun intended) for the mattress you want and don't look back :)

kc2006

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 07:16:03 PM »
I'm in the same boat, I have a really bad back, our current mattress is junk.  Heck last night I'd look at the clock every time I woke up and it was every 15-20 mins I'd have to move around because my back hurt so bad.

The mattress we have now, its five years old and has been kind of crappy for a couple years and it was $900 and a quality brand.  I'm looking at sleep number beds now and granted they're expensive as hell, I hear they hold up much longer.  Assuming the bed has good reviews and are known to hold up, I'd be ok with spending more.  Back pain definitely sways a decision in this one I think.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 07:33:26 PM »
I bought an $800 mattress six years ago after years of sleeping on futons and hide-a-beds. It was glorious. That was pre-moustache, but I think I'd pay it again. It's really nice.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 07:35:19 PM »
Sleep is really really really important.  You don't want to skimp.  Bad sleep can affect your entire life...trust me, I'm married to a wonderful man with a ridiculously severe sleep disorder...I voted 1-1.5k but tbh if I found a mattress that in some miraculous way would improve his quality of sleep (not really possible because he's literally missing sleep regulatory neurons...), I would spend a million bajillion trillion dollars on it. 

Not really obviously, but that's seriously how important I think sleep is.  Be happy that you found something that helps you so much for only $1200.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 07:39:58 PM »
You spend a third of your life on the thing, so it's worth paying a bit for quality. We bought a nice pillowtop mattress last year for about $900, so that's where my vote went, but if we had liked the memory foam one a lot better and it only cost $300 more we would probably have gone for it.

tuckred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 07:46:50 PM »
$1200 is expensive, but, if it lasts you for 10 years, that's $10 per month, which is pretty cheap for good sleep and health! That said, I wouldn't spend that much, but I seem to be comfortable sleeping anywhere. For years I slept on a cheap piece of foam on a plywood platform. My husband bought our mattress for $100 from a friend shortly before we got married 15 years ago. We got a memory foam topper thing from Costco (I think that was about $100), and it is as comfortable to me as any of the fancy mattresses I've slept on in fancy hotels.

Dimitri

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 08:04:23 PM »
You spend a third of your life on the thing, so it's worth paying a bit for quality. We bought a nice pillowtop mattress last year for about $900, so that's where my vote went, but if we had liked the memory foam one a lot better and it only cost $300 more we would probably have gone for it.

I couldn't agree more.  A good eight hours sleep is nearly priceless.  If memory serves me correct I paid a little over $1,800 for a Tempur-Pedic® mattress and box spring twelve years ago. 

If I was in the market for a mattress I would buy another in a heartbeat.  This is one area where you don't want to be cheap. 

Learn more at - http://www.tempurpedic.com/

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 08:12:40 PM »
I won't ever sleep on a non memory foam mattress again, however, I don't like paying a crazy amount of money for it either. So my wife and I bought a firm mattress and got a mattress topper from justad.com and it's amazing. If the topper ever wears out, we just replace it with another $300 one, instead of a $1-2k mattress. Call Rebecca and she'll tell you what size and weight you'll need. They use the same material as tempurpedic but sell it for 3-5x less. Look at the reviews on their eBay store, it's legit.

Once you spring for the mattress topper, buy yourself a tempurpedic pillow for Christmas. Your sleep will go to a whole new level!

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 08:16:01 PM »
My suggestion is to bring a set of sheets with you, and try the bed with them.  The bed will feel different with them on.  This is especially true with pillow tops, because they add height.  I paid ~$1300 for a Cali King.  I don't regret it.  I could literally feel the springs on my old bed though.  I was ~23 at the time, and my bed was my first one, so it desperately needed being replaced.

MountainBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 08:21:29 PM »
Also have no concerns with buying a mattress that works for you...  if you like the memory foam you might check out Costco, we bought one there a year ago and paid ~$800 delivered.

offtherradar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 09:48:33 PM »
I was in the market for a new mattress around a year ago.  My wife was of the opinion that a mattress lasts a long time and you can't put a price on good sleep.  She wanted a $2500 Tempur-Pedic or Sleep Number mattress, but left the decision up to me. Basically that meant that if I bought a cheap mattress and she didn't like it then I'd never hear the end of it.  With the pressure on, I spent a lot of time reading reviews and looking for the best value (the web site sleeplikethedead.com was very helpful).  In the end, I rolled the dice and went with a $700 mattress from bedinabox (their original/basic model). Buying a mattress online, sight unseen was probably the riskiest purchase I've ever made, but it really couldn't have turned out better.  I sleep great on it but, more importantly, my wife likes it so much she's recommended it to her friends.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 05:53:58 AM »
We spent $$$ on a mattress a couple years ago, and we don't regret it a bit.  I still get into bed and think, "This is wonderful" every night.  This is not a scrimp area.

However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get the best value for your dollar.  The best value we found was a mattress shop that took returns . . . and they had perhaps 30-40 mattresses lined up that had been used a couple weeks, then returned.  They were around 1/2 the cost of the never-used mattresses.  If you're saying, "Yeah, but USED, ask yourself what you sleep on in a hotel room!  The one hitch, of course, is that these are "final sales" -- you don't like your choice, you're stuck with it.  To that, I'd say, Take your time and choose wisely.  Go in when the store isn't busy, and take your time lying on the mattress.

One last thought:  I see that memory foam is getting rave reviews on this site, but I didn't like it.  Neither did my husband.  I'm just glad he and I agreed.   

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 06:06:26 AM »
Bought a fancy one through Costco and have no regrets.

PeachFuzzInVA

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 07:03:16 AM »
2 things I don't believe in skimping on are matresses and shoes. You spend 1/3 of your life sleeping on your mattress and the other 2/3 standing in your shoes. My wife and I bought a new mattress about 3 years ago. I sold mattresses for some extra income a while back, so I knew exactly what I wanted. Orginally, we went out to get the Tempur-pedic Cloud, expecting to spend $2600. The Serta iComfort was new at the time, so we decided to compare it to the Cloud. We spent around 30 minutes at the store laying on each and there was no discernable difference between the two. With the iComfort being $800 less, we decided to go with that one. I don't regret the decision one bit. In other words, my advice is to buy the best quality mattress you can fit into your budget.

Mr.Chipper77

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 08:43:59 AM »
I put 1k--1500 as I agree with most on here that you do spend 1/4 to 1/3 of your life on it and sleep is important. The right mattress makes a difference and lasts a long time.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 09:11:15 AM »
I paid $1400 for a queen size and do not regret (including tax and delivery).

You can really feel the difference between a quality mattress and a crappy one.  Every time I stay in a guest room at either of our parents houses, I'm reminded of how much I absolutely love my mattress and how insanely comfortable it is.  I don't have back problems, but I do feel achy and crappy after sleeping on an uncomfortable mattress.

I would check out various price points, but don't settle on something that isn't 100% comfortable, and I would go one step further and purchase from a place that will let you exchange in the first little bit....it's hard to tell how you're going to like a mattress when you've only been on it for a few minutes in a store.

SantaFeSteve

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 10:34:17 AM »
Buy the best mattress you can afford at the best price you can find.
I have more than 10 years on my Tempurpedic mattress and have no regrets. 
Good quality sleep is one of the best things you can do for yourself and a good mattress is a huge part of that.

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »
I recently found the receipt for the queen size mattress and box spring we bought 10 years ago. $300 at Denver Mattress. It was the cheapest firm (non pillow top) flippable mattress they had. I have carefully rotated it (spin in the spring, flip in the fall) all along and kept a mattress cover on it under the sheets and it is still in very good shape, still very comfortable.

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 10:56:52 AM »
I've got a bad back too, and as others have said, sleep (and your back!) is important. 

With that being said, I scored a queen size memory foam off Woot 4 years ago for $250.  It's doing fine so far, I've been very pleased with it.  Hopefully if you look around you can find a great mattress for an amazing price.  But if you can only choose one or the other...  go with the great mattress!

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 11:23:16 AM »
I bought a Tempur Pedic mattress five years ago with no regrets - paid $1400 for a floor model, about an $800 savings on that particular bed, and the same price as the lowest end bed. You can still find deals, if you look around.

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 11:46:52 AM »
I voted for the top tier in the poll, because I would spend lots, if that's what was required for me to get a good sleep. As said above, you spend TONS of time on your bed.

We own a Tempurpedic, and are very happy with it. However, I just bought both my kids Tuft and Needle mattresses, which are quite affordable and seem to be well made (in CA). If we had never tried a memory foam, I would try out a T&N one.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 11:48:02 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone! I've been doing a lot of research on memory foam mattresses and have been constantly comparing them on sleeplikethedead.com for the last several weeks.  I know that my wife would prefer to try one out before purchasing so I have a feeling we will be trying to get a deal at a local store.  Hopefully we can go out in the next couple weeks and do some mattress testing at multiple stores.  1-2k is hard to part with but it sounds like it will be worth it in the long run.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 12:28:54 PM »
At my wife's insistence (before her MMM-Lite conversion), we spent a regrettable $2,500 about 7 years ago -- and I've hated the fucking mattress since Day 1.  I can't wait to replace it, but I'll be damned if I do until the thing is virtually falling apart!

I've looked into this place, and I'm intrigued:

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/mattress

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 12:31:51 PM »
I paid $900. For a queen. Love it! Considering how long you will have the matress, $1200 is not bad imo.

minimalist

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 12:43:59 PM »
I put a $125 memory foam mattress topper on top of my $200 mattress and I'm happier with it than the $1000 mattress I had as a teenager.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 12:50:53 PM »
Here is what we're doing soon:

1. Buying a split king adjustable frame for roughly $1750: http://www.amazon.com/Split-Leggett-Platt-S-Cape-Adjustable/dp/B004TSDO4I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423683935&sr=8-3&keywords=adjustable+split+king+bed

2. Buying Tuft & Needle twin XL mattresses OR something highly rated on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=twin+xl+mattress - for $150-350 each.

(We've bought our kids mattresses from Amazon for really decent prices and have been very happy with them. It's great to be able to read reviews.)

After being together for 25 years, it's time we both get to have the kind of mattress we each like - he likes a very firm mattress and I am the opposite. We'll keep this frame for at least 15 years and replace the top mattresses as needed.

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 01:03:01 PM »
Ikea memory foam is awesome--we have had ours for more than five years already and it is still in pristine condition. Hubs had back problems previously. Queen size was $350 brand new.

PeachFuzzInVA

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »
Just some advice for when you do go shopping...lay on the mattress the way you sleep at home and don't just get up after a few minutes, lay on it for a good 15-20 minutes. If you're feeling pressure anywhere in your body after you've been on it for that short period of time, imagine what that would feel like after 8 hours.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2015, 01:24:33 PM »
Just some advice for when you do go shopping...lay on the mattress the way you sleep at home and don't just get up after a few minutes, lay on it for a good 15-20 minutes. If you're feeling pressure anywhere in your body after you've been on it for that short period of time, imagine what that would feel like after 8 hours.

Thanks for the advice.  The issue that I am having right now is that I'm trying to sleep on my back but our current bed sags a little bit in the middle so I eventually roll over.  Ideally I would stay on my back the entire night because if I spend too much time on my side then I start to have upper back and neck issues the next day. 

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2015, 05:52:50 PM »
$50, came with a bed frame.  Nice family bought it for a teen who then didn't like the style after a week of using it.  Never got around to returning it.

Pretty mustachian I'd say, should have been $500 new.  Sleeps decent.

willow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2015, 06:06:32 PM »
So this one is pretty straight forward...  I have back issues and we are looking at replacing our current mattress with a memory foam mattress.  I slept on a memory foam mattress last summer and the difference I felt over a couple days was amazing.  I have researched various memory foam mattresses and I have found some decent ones online but I doubt I will be able to convince my wife to get one without testing it out first.  We tested several out at our local furniture store today and found one we both like but its 1,200.00.  We definitely have not made up our minds yet but I'm having a hard time justifying a $1,200.00 mattress...

All of this got me wondering where the MMM community stands on mattress purchases.  Is it worth it to shell over big bucks for a mattress?  How much would you spend on a good mattress?

Also, we have no debt other than a mortgage and are currently saving 50-60% of our income.

Look forward to your responses!

SS

I think this falls under frugal but not cheap. If you think you need a better mattress for your back trouble, go for it. For a while my spouse and I were each sleeping on twin beds that laid on the floor. The quality of mine was much worse than what someone should sleep on and it led to some back pain. We finally sucked it up and bought a 500$ mattress. It has been a huge improvement and I hate that we didn't do it sooner.

And I'll say, I think I'd go up to 1000$ next time for a better night's sleep. When we're both on the bed it kind of dips in the middle and even that, while I sleep well, leaves me waking up to turn over and relax my back.

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2015, 07:01:05 PM »
I ordered this memory foam one from Walmart and liked it pretty well:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-8-Memory-Foam-Mattress-Multiple-Sizes/12542630

I can't remember it it was the 6 inch or 8 inch version. It took a little while to get used to the foam holding an impression--the memory aspect of it. But I guess that would be the case with anything like that.

I used a frame like this one except that mine came bundled with the mattress as part of a sale at the time. It's nice to have the extra space under the bed but still have the bed at a normal height.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-Steel-Smart-Base-Bed-Frame-Black-Multiple-Sizes/15739163

At one point, my roommate's mattress got bedbugs after she came back from a camping trip to a cabin with bunk beds. :-( The whole apartment was tested and treated and tested again, and my room never had a problem. To be on the safe side, I threw the mattress away when I moved, and I would never ever buy a used mattress. I check the bedding in hotel rooms now, too. I've heard that most hotels now have at least mild infestations, and it's better to be on the safe side. Dealing with bedbugs was an enormous hassle.

Anyway, I was happy enough with my cheap mattress. The next time I moved, I tried to just walk into Walmart and get something similar, but there were only one or two choices in stock. I ended up getting one that was a 5 inch foam one (not memory foam) for about $100. It's alright but not as nice. I'm used to it now and sleep fine, still using the same frame.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2015, 04:27:48 AM »
Buy the best mattress you can afford at the best price you can find.
I have more than 10 years on my Tempurpedic mattress and have no regrets. 
Good quality sleep is one of the best things you can do for yourself and a good mattress is a huge part of that.

I sleep just fine on my $200 mattress.

If you have some sort of problem that requires a high cost mattress, go ahead and get one.

But for many, a basic mattress will do just fine.  No need to spend a lot "just because you can."

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2015, 04:32:33 AM »
I use a $100 foam mattress from Clark rubber, on top of  a slat base.  Have done for years. I find it more comfortable than expensive ones.

Chester Allen Arthur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2015, 07:21:11 AM »
Buy it buy it BUY IT.  I switched from an innerspring  mattress to a memory foam mattress, paying a similar amount of money, and it was the best purchase I have ever made.  You will use the mattress for 8 hours a day and it will last a decade or more, this is one place where there is no reason not to buy the best you can.

gt7152b

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
The best mattress I've had was a $20 one from a nice hotel that was getting rid of their used mattresses for new ones. We purchased a 1" memory foam topper for $100 and the combination was excellent. When we moved last, my wife insisted that we get rid of our cheap mattress and buy something nicer. I agreed to this so we spent over $700 and it is the most uncomfortable mattress I've ever slept on short of a fold out couch. I thought we would just adapt and that the higher cost meant that we'd be getting better quality. We both hate it and I'd rather be on our pillow top mattress that is 16 years old in our guest room but it's full size and doesn't fit our fancy new queen bed frame (another silly purchase that I wish we could take back). First world problems, I tell ya.

PhysicsCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2015, 07:51:23 AM »
Spent $2000 on a latex mattress from PlushBeds mostly at the wife's urging. 25 year warranty, had it for a year and still like it.

Coach78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2015, 08:21:57 AM »
I Love the feel of those luxurious memory foam type mattresses with the nice thick squishy topper.  The price, though, for us is exorbitant. $1200+ which is just too much for us to spend.
While shopping for a bed, It dawned on me that a bedframe, boxspring,  mattress, and topper might in fact be the most complicated possible solution to a very simple problem. We ended up buying a very high-end memory foam mattress topper and putting it on top of a grass mat on our floor. If you want a visual, It looks very much like a Shikibuton on a tatami mat, as is the most common way to sleep in Japan.
It feels amazing. Absolutely luxurious. Total cost: 300 bucks.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:25:05 AM by Coach78 »

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2015, 09:11:58 AM »
I Love the feel of those luxurious memory foam type mattresses with the nice thick squishy topper.  The price, though, for us is exorbitant. $1200+ which is just too much for us to spend.
While shopping for a bed, It dawned on me that a bedframe, boxspring,  mattress, and topper might in fact be the most complicated possible solution to a very simple problem. We ended up buying a very high-end memory foam mattress topper and putting it on top of a grass mat on our floor. If you want a visual, It looks very much like a Shikibuton on a tatami mat, as is the most common way to sleep in Japan.

Another way you can save money is if you have a bed that doesn't require a box spring.  DH built our bed - it's a tall wood headboard/platform bed and he built it with slats, so we didn't need to spend the money on a box spring.  :)

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2015, 09:57:06 AM »
If the mattress lasts 10 years, you are paying $120 a year, or about 30 cents a day to sleep on a good mattress.  Seems a small price to pay to be free of back pain. 

Just beware, if you live in a warm climate, sometimes you can get too hot in a tempurpedic mattress (although I think they are making newer ones that have something special to reduce that.

robbyho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 10:20:22 AM »
So this is coincidental, I'm a manager at the largest mattress chain in the Northeast (probably shouldn't say its name online) and one of the executives recommended MMM to the entire company in a company blog post. Since then I've read every blog post and just recently joined the forum.

As a professional, I can tell you that how well you sleep directly affects every aspect of your life. From muscle soreness, to fatigue, to memory and cognition. If you toss and turn, if you wake up more than once throughout the night, or if you wake up in the morning feeling pain and then the pain goes away throughout the day then your mattress is not doing you right.

The proper mattress and pillow for you will keep your back in alignment throughout the night and relieve all pressure in areas like your hips, ribs, and shoulder. The biggest mistake people make is they get a mattress that is too firm. As long as the support is right, go as SOFT as possible. If your back is straight, you want as much pressure relief as you can get. If you get something good quality, you don't have to worry about it wearing out prematurely.  Just make sure you have a waterproof mattress protector and proper support under the mattress (boxspring, frame, or sturdy platform).

As much as I hate selling them, because they pay terrible commission, Tempurpedic really is the best. Memory foam is self leveling so it always puts your back in alignment no matter if you're 100 lbs or 300 lbs. The foam contours to your body and gives the best pressure relief. Their quality is better than every other memory foam company. People have TP's for 20+ years.

Now here is the secret, mattresses have huge markups almost everywhere. And many places are willing to negotiate. Depending on the place, shoot for 40-60% off the everyday price. This won't work at sears or discount places, but it will work at most bedding stores. I don't know if it is against the policy, but the mustachian in me would be happy to help out other mustachians with discounts and advice. We can deliver anywhere.  Feel free to shoot me a PM. 

If you don't like memory foam, you're best bang for your buck is Beautyrest World Class. Great mattresses and priced pretty well.

One other note, be careful with mattress reviews. So tough to translate what someone else feels to how you will.

I

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 10:53:31 AM »

Another way you can save money is if you have a bed that doesn't require a box spring.  DH built our bed - it's a tall wood headboard/platform bed and he built it with slats, so we didn't need to spend the money on a box spring.  :)

I was actually considering building our bed as well...  I've wanted to start making tables and what not so this gives me the perfect excuse to go for it.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 11:42:07 AM »
I spent around $400 on a generic brand memory foam topped mattress.  I love it.  It's from Mattress Dealz.

There's a chain around here running commercials that say your mattress purchase should equal 8 days of pay.  Which is ridiculous.  Why should someone who makes more have to spend more on a mattress?  And how did they come up with that number in the first place?  By that logic, I should have spent $1200 on a mattress.  And I know some of you here should be spending two or three times that amount...

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 11:50:47 AM »
I'm sleeping on a 20yr old futon that cost me $200.

That said sleep is important so if you are not able to sleep well on your existing bed you need to change something.

You have a $1200 cost for that memory foam mattress as a baseline. So I'd start looking around for what's available used and see what you find.

Although you liked the memory foam mattress you could be very happy on another type of high quality mattress. If you buy used at a good price you can try something for a few months and sell it again at no loss if it's not what you want.

Ultimately the way I would make my decision is comparing the cost of used high quality mattresses vs. the memory foam product and letting the spread in costs vs. the hassle of buying used.

-- Vik

robbyho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 12:08:24 PM »
Another option is you don't want too buy used, you can buy floor models from lots of retailers. There is a Sears Outlet by me that has great floor models for big discounts.

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2015, 12:14:53 PM »
So I just wrestled with this very question. I had a cheap mattress that I had actually bought used, but we've had it for 6 years and have noticed back pain and poor sleep in recent years. I did I lot of research and decided to get a Casper: https://casper.com/, which is a very affordable combination latex and memory foam mattress with no chemicals. We've slept on an organic latex mattress while visiting my partner's parents, and it is incredibly comfortable, similar to the feeling you have described. Latex is slightly different from memory foam, but has similar properties. But those mattresses run 3,000, which is insane. We were actually contemplating buying a used latex mattress for around 1,000 when a friend told us about the Casper. The Casper was $850 for a queen (we got a $50 discount using a referral from her), shipped to us free in 5 days, and has a 100 day money-back return policy (which we are still in, but so far it has been great). Look online, people have posted lots of review videos about their Casper mattresses, including some people who decided to return it, and the company seems very easy to deal with. It might be worth looking in to.

Alternatively, my mom has an extremely comfortable conventional mattress that she bought at costco years ago, and it is great, If I were going to buy a new spring mattress I would get it there.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2015, 01:27:06 PM »
Bought a fancy one through Costco and have no regrets.
Same thing here. We were looking at one that was about $800 on sale, but I think my husband opted to go for the $1200 one.

In any event, we are very happy with it.  It's new (November).  Our prior mattress was 20 years old. It was a firm mattress, and is still fine, but it wasn't working for our mid-40's backs like it did for our mid-20's backs.

oldfierm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2015, 01:32:52 PM »
I feel like I've commented on this topic before...I got a $400 memory foam mattress off of Amazon.com last year.  It is fantastic!  If you are searching for it, I don't remember the name but it had like 1200 reviews.  Some complained that it was "too firm" but when I got it I knew that they must not have tried out memory foam before, because as far as I can tell it was exactly the same as the expensive version (which I had spent the night on in the past). 

I actually bought it because I had a pretty bad back injury and thought it might help.  Not sure if it really did, but I've been "problem free" since shortly after I bought it, aside from continuing to recover from the injury.   

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!