Poll

How much would you spend on a mattress?

0-500
500-1,000
1,000-1,500
1,500-2,500
2,500+

Author Topic: How much would you spend on a mattress?  (Read 48791 times)

FarmerPete

• Bristles
Re: How much would you spend on a mattress?
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 01:37:46 PM »
We bought a soft-sided waterbed.  I love it.  Looks like a regular mattress, but it's got water in the middle.  Nothing to wear out, and minimal maintenance.  Having said that, for memory foam, Sams/Costco or Ikea seem to be the lowest priced retailers.  You can get a king size 13" memory foam with box spring for $800.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/night-therapy-elite-13-mygel-prestige-memory-foam-mattress-bifold-box-spring-set-king/prod6480097.ip?navAction=push

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 02:06:38 PM »
Re:  that latex mattress - be very careful to put a good quality allergy-proor mattress cover around that thing!  I can't tell you how many people I see with evidence of latex allergies, who go home and sleep in a big bed of latex every night.  Can't be good for them.

PhysicsCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2015, 04:00:04 AM »
Re:  that latex mattress - be very careful to put a good quality allergy-proor mattress cover around that thing!  I can't tell you how many people I see with evidence of latex allergies, who go home and sleep in a big bed of latex every night.  Can't be good for them.

Had one thrown in as one of the extras along with 2 pillows and a sheet set. I'm usually not comfortable with haggling, but I don't have a problem haggling with mattress folks.

Juslookin

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2015, 05:35:48 AM »
Serta icomfort here. Compared it to the tempurpedic and liked it better but we spent mucho mucho dollars.  DH was in a horrible car accident a few years back and his back was broken in multiple places. We had to purchase an adjustable bed while he was recovering. We tried a rented hospital bed, that was the worst.

So we have a king size, split adjustable Serta Icomfort bed. It's like heaven on earth. We figured we would end up with the tempurpedic but we liked the Serta better, so even though we spent a bundle we were still able to spend a little less.

robbyho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2015, 08:24:28 AM »

Had one thrown in as one of the extras along with 2 pillows and a sheet set. I'm usually not comfortable with haggling, but I don't have a problem haggling with mattress folks.

lol, you're not the only one!

Seriously haggle on your mattress, it will save you tons.

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2015, 09:08:12 PM »
I Love the feel of those luxurious memory foam type mattresses with the nice thick squishy topper.  The price, though, for us is exorbitant. $1200+ which is just too much for us to spend.
While shopping for a bed, It dawned on me that a bedframe, boxspring,  mattress, and topper might in fact be the most complicated possible solution to a very simple problem. We ended up buying a very high-end memory foam mattress topper and putting it on top of a grass mat on our floor. If you want a visual, It looks very much like a Shikibuton on a tatami mat, as is the most common way to sleep in Japan.
It feels amazing. Absolutely luxurious. Total cost: 300 bucks.

Love this idea.  How thick was your memory foam mattress topper?

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
How much would you spend on a mattress?
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2015, 12:41:13 PM »
We have a 3" 4lb mattress topper. We bought a firm mattress to go under it, it would be way too soft if the mattress were soft as well. The taller the topper, the softer it will be all things being equal. So a 4" 4lb topper will be softer than a 3". The higher the weight, the firmer it will be.

Most cheap mattress toppers feel great the first year, and then they wear out. They may be fine for a guest bed or vacation home but not for your daily driver. Expect to spend $200-400 for a quality, real memory foam topper. Buy Tempurpedic if you want the warranty, if you don't want the warranty and want to spend less for the same thing then justad.com like I posted before is the way to go.

Pillow top and euro top mattresses are a waste of money. You can get the same exact experience by doing the firm mattress/memory foam topper combo and it allows you to keep the mattress for the rest of your life and just replace the topper. Trust me I bought a $2400 Stearns And Foster queen when I got married, it was awesome until a few years later when it wore out and I hated it.

I did the memory foam topper when my wife was pregnant with our first over 4 years ago. She slept better while big and preggo than she did on the old mattress and no bowling ball in her tummy.

After the memory foam, we got Egyptian cotton sheets and oh my are they amazing. We then combined that with tempurpedic pillows and now it's hard to wake up these days...

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2015, 01:39:54 PM »
We paid $1200 a couple years ago for a king mattress, and were looking at spending closer to $2K until we found one we liked just as well for less.  Assuming a 10 year lifespan, that's 3,650 nights you'll spend on that mattress, so like 33 cents per night.  To me that's a bargain for being comfortable and sleeping well.  Our old mattress didn't isolate movement, so it wasn't great for sleeping with a partner.  I think I paid around $400 for that one and it lasted about 10 years before we retired it to a guest room.  The frame makes a difference too; we bought our king frame off of Craigslist, and it's really solid so there's no shifting or squeaking when someone rolls over, whereas the old queen frame squeaked and shifted.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »
I got one of these about 11 years ago. I think it was over $2500. Its incredible.
http://m.naturesrest.com/

Medeine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2015, 02:54:27 PM »
No matter how much you spend, you will get 2-4x  the use out of it if you buy a DOUBLE-SIDED mattress.  Fewer and fewer places will even sell mattresses that are double-sided, and I think it's a racket.  When you flip your mattress (about every 6 months), you spread the wear out across both sides AND both ends (put the head-end to the foot-end on one of the flips).  Anything that has a built-in "topper" is absolutely limiting your use of the mattress to one position, and the topper likely won't last, meaning the entire mattress is ruined (I have family who spent a fortune on a quality mattress with a topper that couldn't be turned and in less than a year were stuck in the ruts they'd created).  If you need a topper (and you might just need a softer mattress), I would buy it separately so you can replace it as needed.

Also, you can buy a mis-matched mattress, which just means that they were running out of the material or pattern used on one side and the other is different.  These are "imperfect" and therefore sold at a huge discount, but the extra advantage is that if you get one that is softer on one side than the other, you can change your mind about how hard the mattress should be (i.e., flip it to the hard-side after injuring your back, and back to the softer side when you're well).

And finally, if you have neck problems from lying on your side, it might actually be your pillow that's the problem.  They make really fantastic foam pillows that look like a wave, thereby supporting your neck and providing a dip for your head, keeping it in better alignment (they can also reduce snoring).  Usually the wave on one side is higher than the other - I turn my pillow one way to lie on my side, and the other if I plan to lie on my back (the smaller dip).

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2015, 11:53:27 AM »
So we went out this weekend to try out mattresses and see what we like.  My intention of this trip was to not look at price but to try every mattress we could and get a feel for what kind of firmness and feel we both like.  Of course, the one mattress we both agreed on was the most expensive in the store, a whopping 4,600!  Haha, if we were in the 1M Net Worth range I prob wouldn't care but right now there is no way I can justify that price.  I still think this was a good experience because we really narrowed down what we like and what we don't like.  Now the goal is to find a good comparable knock off of the mattress we liked.

The search continues!

EUmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2015, 12:32:26 PM »
I also recommend the Casper mattress. We've had it for about a month now, and still every night when I get into the bed I think (and sometimes say aloud to the annoyance of my husband) "I love this bed." I wonder if he feels threatened? ;)

The earlier poster gave a good description of the construction of the mattress - it is a memory foam + latex combo. And the company's website has even more info. One thing I like is it is constructed in the US. And there are oodles of reviews online - text and video. There are 2 other companies with a similar model: Tuft and Needle - reviews say it is firmer than the Casper - and Leesa - reviews say it is less firm than Casper.

It is basically a risk-free purchase. You get a 100 night trial, and if you decide that you don't like it (what are you, crazy?!) they will arrange to have the mattress picked up (to donate) and you'll get a complete refund.

They ship the mattress to you via UPS, and the un-boxing/set-up is really fun. And for less than $1000 this is such a great mattress. Extra bonus - you can, but don't need a box spring. So that is one more thing you don't need to buy. 

Anyway - I have a referral code that will give you $50 off if you're interested (full disclosure, I get a kick-back too). http://refer.casper.com/v2/share/6104025186971748840

Happy hunting!

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2015, 12:45:19 PM »
I have looked into Casper before and I'm a little skeptical.  The main reason I like memory foam is because how sucks you in and I feel like latex wouldn't have the same effect.  Too bad there is no where to go test them out.  I'll have to look into them more though.

nirvines88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2015, 01:43:44 PM »
$400 on a queen 4 years ago, no complaints so far!

SpendyMcSpend

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2015, 02:02:34 PM »
I found a nice brand name mattress on sale on overstock.com free shipping and used credit card points for $325 of it.  Another 10% off for first time purchase ($50) and I ended up paying just $125 in cash.  It's the most comfortable mattress I've slept on

EUmustache

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2015, 04:13:28 PM »
You're right that the feel of a latex mattress is different than that of a memory foam. I dislike the feeling of sleeping on memory foam, and had previously owned a latex mattress that I loved. I think that is just a matter of personal preference. Different densities of latex will give you a varied degree of that "sucks you in" feeling.

The Casper is definitely on the firmer side, but it does nicely shape to your body.

I don't know where you're located, but Casper does have a showroom in NYC where you can try the mattress.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2015, 05:13:41 PM »
You're right that the feel of a latex mattress is different than that of a memory foam. I dislike the feeling of sleeping on memory foam, and had previously owned a latex mattress that I loved. I think that is just a matter of personal preference. Different densities of latex will give you a varied degree of that "sucks you in" feeling.

The Casper is definitely on the firmer side, but it does nicely shape to your body.

I don't know where you're located, but Casper does have a showroom in NYC where you can try the mattress.

I'm in Alaska so that would be one heck of a road trip! Lol

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2015, 06:51:29 PM »
My last mattress was $1200, purchased in 2009, on a slat base.

I'm happy with it. I don't like ones that are too soft because I find you sink into them too much (so too warm in summer).

Stacey

• Stubble
    • Bottling Moonlight
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2015, 06:41:18 PM »
After a lot of research, negotiating, and trying out beds, we opted for the simple approach and ordered a queen from Tuft and Needle.  After a week of sleeping on it, all I can say is that if I had the opportunity to try it out before all the research and negotiating with other places, I would have just bought it and been done with it.  I was a little nervous to buy it without trying it first, but after deciding we wanted a foam mattress and looking at the reviews and the price, we decided to go for it.  So happy that we did.  I love it!  It helps that our last mattress was awful and we spent a full year camping outside on the ground before we bought this, but it's seriously GREAT for the price ($600 delivered). 

Shropskr

• Stubble
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2015, 08:17:42 PM »
Late but I gotta say we've had our king size sleep number bed for 10 years with a three inch pillow top and I would not give that up for anything.  Nice to change firmness through a pregnancy too.  We hate sleeping in hotels.  Always want to get home to our bed.  :)

thisdoesfine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2015, 08:39:43 PM »
So I just wrestled with this very question. I had a cheap mattress that I had actually bought used, but we've had it for 6 years and have noticed back pain and poor sleep in recent years. I did I lot of research and decided to get a Casper: https://casper.com/, which is a very affordable combination latex and memory foam mattress with no chemicals. We've slept on an organic latex mattress while visiting my partner's parents, and it is incredibly comfortable, similar to the feeling you have described. Latex is slightly different from memory foam, but has similar properties. But those mattresses run 3,000, which is insane. We were actually contemplating buying a used latex mattress for around 1,000 when a friend told us about the Casper. The Casper was $850 for a queen (we got a $50 discount using a referral from her), shipped to us free in 5 days, and has a 100 day money-back return policy (which we are still in, but so far it has been great). Look online, people have posted lots of review videos about their Casper mattresses, including some people who decided to return it, and the company seems very easy to deal with. It might be worth looking in to.

Alternatively, my mom has an extremely comfortable conventional mattress that she bought at costco years ago, and it is great, If I were going to buy a new spring mattress I would get it there.

I came across this site while searching for information about these casper mattresses actually.  Kind of nice I found the site though, I'll be checking out other aspects of the forums for sure. 

We are right now a one income family with a 19 month old and a baby due in October.  We live a simple happy life but are always researching purchases.  Our current mattress is a spring and we've had it for nearly 12 years.  The casper looks solid especially with what seems a very honest trial period.  Did you keep yours after the trial period?  I'm looking to take advantage of the $50 off as well via referral code.  It's actually a decent deal. Casper maxes the benefit to one person to $250 a year @ $50 per person that they get to use their code.  I signed up there in hopes to get some people to use my $50 off code and get my $250 in gift cards.  Help others save, save some myself.  When you use the referral link it brings you to casper.com.  Add the mattress and you'll see a Promotion (Referral) -$50. 
My referral link is as follows: http://refer.casper.com/v2/share/6167380434775639042/73757266696e6d61696c40676d61696c2e636f6d

Silverado, please do respond with how you liked the mattress!  We're trying to decide on the Casper or a Sealy Optimum Destiny Gold.  Thanks again and thanks to anyone that uses my link to save us $50.00!!

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2015, 05:24:26 AM »
There's a chain around here running commercials that say your mattress purchase should equal 8 days of pay.

Sounds like the de Beers engagement ring marketing approach. "How can you make two months salary last forever?"

Good background on the story here: http://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/diamond-de-beers-marketing-campaign

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2015, 06:57:38 AM »
Our king size mattress and box springs (from Sears) was $634 including tax (free delivery).  We are very happy with it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2015, 07:07:40 AM »
I was actually considering building our bed as well...  I've wanted to start making tables and what not so this gives me the perfect excuse to go for it.

My husband made our bed. The best part was that I got a bed that would have cost many thousands of dollars for a fraction of that.  He could have made it A LOT cheaper, but he used good wood and stained it instead of plywood and painting it.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2015, 07:51:39 AM »
+1 to tuft and needle, can't spend more than $750 for their biggest fanciest model, free shipping too.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2015, 12:31:49 PM »
I agree on spending how much you need to have a really good mattress. it's an investment in health and quality of life.
That said, I heard that foam mattresses are ideal for sleeping but the worst for "fun", so maybe you wanted to know that.

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2015, 03:27:54 PM »
We bought a basic firm flippable queen size mattress and box springs from Denver Mattress for $300. 10 years ago. Not sure if they still sell ones like that now. I keep it rotated regularly: spin in the spring, flip in the fall. It is still very comfortable.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2015, 03:27:40 PM »
Thanks robbyho. Great to have an insider :)

robbyho

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2015, 09:42:50 AM »
No matter how much you spend, you will get 2-4x  the use out of it if you buy a DOUBLE-SIDED mattress.  Fewer and fewer places will even sell mattresses that are double-sided, and I think it's a racket.  When you flip your mattress (about every 6 months), you spread the wear out across both sides AND both ends (put the head-end to the foot-end on one of the flips).  Anything that has a built-in "topper" is absolutely limiting your use of the mattress to one position, and the topper likely won't last, meaning the entire mattress is ruined (I have family who spent a fortune on a quality mattress with a topper that couldn't be turned and in less than a year were stuck in the ruts they'd created).  If you need a topper (and you might just need a softer mattress), I would buy it separately so you can replace it as needed.

Also, you can buy a mis-matched mattress, which just means that they were running out of the material or pattern used on one side and the other is different.  These are "imperfect" and therefore sold at a huge discount, but the extra advantage is that if you get one that is softer on one side than the other, you can change your mind about how hard the mattress should be (i.e., flip it to the hard-side after injuring your back, and back to the softer side when you're well).

There's a lot of confusion about why every major mattress brand went 1 sided about 10 years ago. The reason is that they changed the Flame Retardant laws and the foam is the most flammable part. The test is that they light a fire under the boxspring and mattress and time how long it takes to get to the top of the mattress. If they use petroleum based foams (i.e. polyurethane and memory foam) on both sides, it will burn to the top faster.  Poly and memory foams of the most common and the highest quality foams used in bedding. The 2 sided mattresses still made don't use poly or memory foams.

Also think about from a comfort/price perspective. You can pay for 4" of foam and have it on one side and get the entire benefit of it while you sleep, or get 4" of foam but with just 2" of it nearest your body. Same amount of materials, same cost, 2x the benefit.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2015, 09:51:57 AM »
I've looked into this place, and I'm intrigued:

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/mattress

I'm going to look at this place for our next mattress, too.  And, personally, I'm interested in finding something that isn't full of flame retardants.  As a non smoker, I'm not super worried about my mattress coming in contact with open flames.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2016, 11:08:24 AM »
Bringing this back from the dead to say that we finally ordered a new mattress.... Almost 2 years after Starting this thread lol.

We both really liked the Tempurpedic Cloud Supreme Breeze but there was no way we were going to drop 4k on a new mattress, and one that has a crappy return policy on top of that....

After digging around a bunch the last couple weeks, I found a comparable mattress online for 1200 (plus shipping to AK).  Best part is they have a 120 day trial with a 100% refund if you don't like it. 

So we settled on the Novosbed in a medium firmness.  It should get here sometime next week, super excited to try it out!

TheWee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2016, 07:04:53 PM »
Although I see you have already chosen, I will add my 2 cents. I went with a mattress from Spindle after reading from this site/forum http://www.themattressunderground.com/ Ended up being around $1k.

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2016, 03:52:08 AM »
I used the same one from the age of 8 to 18....
Then when i was 18 i bought one for like 350$. Now 30 years old and still using the same one. JUST thought about replacing it the other day cause it is starting to look kinda dirty and old. But i decided to buy some cleaner stuff and see if i can remove some of the oily stains.

But i am weird, i grew up sleeping on a concrete floor with a sleeping bag so... i do not complain

asauer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2016, 07:00:00 AM »
Our last two mattresses have been the Sultan from Ikea and they are fabulous and $500! 

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2016, 07:31:42 AM »
We paid a LOT for our mattress.  I don't remember exactly, almost $3000 I think.  A tempur-pedic.  My wife and I are really crappy sleepers, I am willing to pay whatever it takes for good sleep.

Was it worth it?  Unfortunately, I don't know.  I didn't shop around very much, and that was a mistake.  However, we did get a King size bed, and I ABSOLUTELY recommend that for any people with a spouse who have trouble sleeping.

We got one of the really high density foam mattresses by Tempur-pedic.

Pros:
-high density foam (5 lbs per whatever unit).  Most brands do not compete with Tempur-pedic here I think.  A major advantage is that it absorbs so much motion that my wife and I don't wake each other up as much when we toss and turn.
-long lasting; going on 4+ years now with no signs of wear whatsoever.
-comfort; whenever I sleep on a non-memory foam pad, it's less comfortable now.  Also, the high-density foam feels different than other low density foams.  You sink into it more gradually and it holds you more firmly.  It's sort of like being in a womb.

Cons:
-heat: it does get hot (foam is a good insulator), and we keep our house old to help counter this.
-expensive!!!

If I could do it all over, I would shop around to see if I could find a better deal or another brand with similar density (I recall at the time that there weren't many options).  I would also consider options that offer similar memory-foam like support without the heat.  There are other designs (foam or non-foams such as the purple bed) that allow more air flow and might be worth checking out for hot-sleepers.

Sleep with my spouse has improved as a result of this mattress, but it is both due to the memory foam as well as the King's size.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2016, 07:46:54 AM »
all my mattresses have come from craigslist.  people buy mattresses and then dont like them and cant return them if they dont pay for certain things.  they all come with tags so you know the age.  last one i bought was a 1500 dollar king for 350 off craigslist and was 1 month old

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2016, 08:08:40 AM »
We bought a plain-jane queen mattress + box spring used for $140ish and put a $60 memory foam topper from Target on it.  3.5 years later, it's still going strong, but we'll probably need to replace the topper sometime in the next year.

Best bed I've ever slept in though was in the guest bedroom of a couple worth eight figures.  I don't know what the hell kind of mattress it was or how much they paid for it, but it was fantastic.