Author Topic: How much would you pay this tutor?  (Read 2794 times)

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
How much would you pay this tutor?
« on: July 28, 2017, 10:44:30 AM »
We are looking at hiring an Occupational therapy or OTA student to tutor our 5 year old one hour per week to help with his fine motor delay. (Thanks to this forum for suggesting this!) We have a local community college with an OTA program that I plan on calling, but I want to make sure I have a fair wage in mind before I reach out to anyone. We are not requiring any credentials. Therapy will take place in our home. (Would love to use the library but a lot of OT for our son involves physical movement in order to maintain focus throughout the session.)  We are in a LCOL area.

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
Re: How much would you pay this tutor?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:59:58 AM »
With a doctor's referral, you can bill insurance. Otherwise, I would expect private pay for an OT to be $100 to $200 depending on the person/business. An OTA would be 1/2 or 1/3 of that price usually.

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »
We have been taking him to an OT in town paid for by insurance, but we will reach our annual max thru insurance next month. The OOP fee for the same OT will be $200/session, and she is already booked for after school appointments. She is the only OT in our entire town that serves children, aside from school personnel. This is why we are trying to think outside the box. He will also be receiving OT through an OTA at his school, who will be sending homework. My husband and I also work with him, but he is much more receptive to doing the work when it's not Mom and Dad nagging him. This is why we're seeking a student--we can advise him/her based on what he is working on in school and homework assigned, and we have a lot of accommodations available--chew sticks, swings, alternative seating, etc.

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 02:27:26 PM »
Personally, I would get in touch with the OTA at school and see if they would be willing to do this through private pay. Otherwise, a student in the OTA program might be willing to do tutoring sessions with "sensory integration" incorporated into them. Since they are not credentialed, they would likely require much less $$$, but will not have the experience to be quite as effective.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 01:08:25 PM »
Depending on where you are in the country $15-$20/HR for an OTA student would likely be fair, $20-$30 for an OT student would also be fair.
You may also find TA's in some local special education settings, or even Montessori schools who could do something similar for closer to the $15/hr range.

I may have commented on your previous thread, I can't remember, but good luck!

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 04:02:04 PM »
Depending on where you are in the country $15-$20/HR for an OTA student would likely be fair, $20-$30 for an OT student would also be fair.
You may also find TA's in some local special education settings, or even Montessori schools who could do something similar for closer to the $15/hr range.

I may have commented on your previous thread, I can't remember, but good luck!

Yes you did! Thanks again for your insight. Those are the figures I as thinking, but I didn't want to seem too cheap! (Story of my life lol)

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 03:28:45 AM »
$40-$50 per hour for someone who is still a student.  Probably more like $60-$70 if you're expecting them to provide materials that aren't nornally found at home (e.g. stuff like rice, pasta, tongs, carpet, cushions, Lego etc).

(I asked my friend who's an OT... i dunno what an OTA is)(Edit: I'm Australian so probs not relevant).

Stachetastic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 05:24:01 AM »
$40-$50 per hour for someone who is still a student.  Probably more like $60-$70 if you're expecting them to provide materials that aren't nornally found at home (e.g. stuff like rice, pasta, tongs, carpet, cushions, Lego etc).

(I asked my friend who's an OT... i dunno what an OTA is)(Edit: I'm Australian so probs not relevant).

We have all the accommodations in our home already, so they would not need to bring anything. An OTA is an occupational therapy assistant.