Author Topic: How much would you pay for a good dishwasher?  (Read 7796 times)

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
How much would you pay for a good dishwasher?
« on: April 16, 2018, 08:58:17 AM »
I'll be buying one soon and I've never had one before.  In a previous thread, Bosch came out as the most recommended brand and I see that Sears sells their models starting at $450 and going up to $1100. 

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How much would you pay for a good dishwasher?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 09:10:20 AM »
Wait for a sale. We bought a Bosch during Thanksgiving sales in 2010. I think it was around 40% off, and cost right around $400.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 10:31:45 AM »
We bought a Bosch last year, $749

I've had others over the years and this is well made. The inside is stainless steel.
One difference, it doesn't dry. I never used the dry cycle anyways, so that's no problem. It's very very quiet, but runs for about an hour

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:22:08 AM »
I bought my current Bosch last summer, to replace an earlier Bosch. I didn’t buy the cheapest one they had as it needed to be black and I wanted the 3rd rack. I think it was $800 something including installation which I paid for because the time we installed a d/washer ourselves was not a good experience, but YMMV.

It does a terrific job and it’s super quiet, but the whole cycle takes 2 hours.

Also the drain pump broke in under 6 months. They replaced it for free, but I was not amused.

kenmoremmm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »
i understand bosch is no longer what it used to be.

in my area (near seattle), you can find lots of like-new DW's on craigslist for $200-300. bosch's go for $400-600. most of the like-new ones were from a remodel upgrade where the recently installed new model didn't fit the new homeowner's tastes.

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 03:08:07 PM »
When we bought our house in 2013 we inherited a Bosch dishwasher that was in the 8-10 year old range. Within weeks I had to replace the control panel. Year later I had to replace the sprayer arms and filter. Last year I had to replace the water inlet valve, then 6 months later the pump went. I felt the Bosch was overly fancy and they really crammed stuff in which made it hard to replace parts.

Over President's day I found a lower end Maytag was $30 cheaper at Best buy than Home Depot so I went to Home Depot and asked them to price match, they did +10% additional savings! Works well using the non eco friendly mode. All the eco friendly stuff just doesn't wash dishes well! Also all the new dishwasher take 3+ hours to finish and require a rinse aid to actually dry dishes

mavendrill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 06:37:44 PM »
A dishwasher expectation point: energy efficiency standards make it so that new dishwashers will not beat older ones for complicated cleanliness.  However, they use crazy small amounts of water and electricity.  Adjust expectations with upgrades.

That said, I paid 400 for a stainless one and have had no regrets.

Also, almost everyone can install their own dishwasher.  It's quite easily accomplished.

Awesomeness

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2018, 06:45:47 PM »
Personally I think they are mostly crap.  I have a nice whirlpool with the stainless interior, paid about 500$. Only cycle that gets them clean is the 8 hour soak and clean cycle. But it is very quiet and my house is small so that’s good.  And it looks nice too.

Had an older whirlpool that I wanted to replace but the repair man said to keep it, they don’t make them like this anymore.  He was right. Many parts were repaired but that thing ran like a champ and got it all done in a hour. Decently loud hour but I liked it better. Not nearly as pretty. 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 07:03:39 PM »
Holy crap this thread is on an anti-mustachian trajectory.

Shelling out >>$400 for a dishwasher deserves a financial face-punch. Start with craigslist; I see about a dozen in my area for under $150, some under $75. So many people renovate kitchens with brand-new appliances you can find barely or never used dishwashers for a fraction of the cost.

...and that's not even mentioning the option of a $10 tub and a larger drying rack.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 07:09:47 PM »
When we got our new Bosch, we put the old (can't remember brand) out front and it was gone within a half hour. People never disappoint me, we put stuff out front, they take it.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 11:03:56 AM »
I wash plenty of dishes!

For about $2/week, I can throw everything into the dishwasher after dinner, wipe off the counters and go do something else. Worth it to me! (And I do not live in the land of expensive and extensive kitchen remodels.)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 11:19:19 AM »

Shelling out >>$400 for a dishwasher deserves a financial face-punch. Start with craigslist; I see about a dozen in my area for under $150, some under $75. So many people renovate kitchens with brand-new appliances you can find barely or never used dishwashers for a fraction of the cost.

...and that's not even mentioning the option of a $10 tub and a larger drying rack.
Our $400 dishwasher only survived about 10 years before it stopped working - we have some of the hardest water in the country.  It's pretty ridiculous.

Our Bosch cleans the dishes much better and has a spot for the salt addition, so that we don't end up with hard spots on our dishes or the inside of the dishwasher.

I wash piles and piles of dishes every day and every week already (pots and pans, things that are used daily).  Fuck it, if you want to come and do my dishes, maybe I'll lose the dishwasher. 

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 11:35:45 AM »
Since a DW is important to me in that it encourages me to batch cook and not eat out, the dollar amount I spend is not as important as the functionality of the machine.  Having a DW fail at an early age is very stressful and expensive (especially if you have a repairman out and you have a professional install/uninstall; in my case I also have to deal with the Condo Association's need for a certificate of insurance when a repairman comes out).  If you told me there was a $1K dw with 100% warranty for 10 years (no deductible), money back guaranteed to clean well, guess what, I'd buy it!

Currently, I have a 2013 GE model that I paid about $600 installed.  In the 5 years I've had it, I've cleaned both spray arms, replaced one of the spray arms and the filter, then had a repairmen fix a clog and add some parts for about $160.  I guess that's OK.

As others have said, newer "eco-friendly" models do not clean nearly as well as the machines did 20 years ago, so don't have very high expectations (be prepared to scrape/rinse).  I personally HATE the time it takes to hand wash/dry versus using a machine...that's just me...

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »

I've put a lot of thought into the decision to install a dishwasher and feel the investment is worth it.  I decline your offer of a face punch!  :)

I appreciate the feedback I've received thus far on the pricing question.  It looks like $700ish is a reasonable amount to spend on a good quality machine, with the understanding that the experience may vary from the expectation.

I'll be going round to the various retailers in my area and looking for floor models and clearance.  I did look on craigslist but found only one machine at $200 less than retail and no indication of the condition listed.  I feel more comfortable buying new and at least getting the warranty and the assurance that the unit doesn't have any issues, and if it does, it can be exchanged.

dhc

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 08:45:28 PM »

I've put a lot of thought into the decision to install a dishwasher and feel the investment is worth it.  I decline your offer of a face punch!  :)

I appreciate the feedback I've received thus far on the pricing question.  It looks like $700ish is a reasonable amount to spend on a good quality machine, with the understanding that the experience may vary from the expectation.

I'll be going round to the various retailers in my area and looking for floor models and clearance.  I did look on craigslist but found only one machine at $200 less than retail and no indication of the condition listed.  I feel more comfortable buying new and at least getting the warranty and the assurance that the unit doesn't have any issues, and if it does, it can be exchanged.
You may have thought about it a lot, but it deserves a facepunch just the same. Nobody needs a dishwasher; they waste space, don't clean dishes as well as your hands and the sink do, ruin perfectly good silverware, waste a ton of energy, and what you're focused on is stuff like which one is fanciest? Nuh-uh.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 08:55:21 PM »
I just looked at the warranty with my Bosch:
1. It does not cover a display, an 'as is', or a previously returned model.

the warranty is for 365 days, with an extended warranty:
5 yr limited warranty on electronics
5 yr limited warranty on dish racks
Lifetime warranty against stainless steel rust through

BookLoverL

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 07:55:03 AM »
I wouldn't pay anything for a dishwasher myself, because I'd do my dishes by hand instead. What's the point of putting things in a dishwasher if it's going to use electricity, create a bunch of noise, take time to load and unload anyway, and you may end up still having to rinse your dishes beforehand?

If you really insist on getting a dishwasher, I agree with the other people who are saying to look for used nearly-new dishwashers, either on Craigslist or elsewhere.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 09:49:45 AM »
I just looked at the warranty with my Bosch:
1. It does not cover a display, an 'as is', or a previously returned model.

the warranty is for 365 days, with an extended warranty:
5 yr limited warranty on electronics
5 yr limited warranty on dish racks
Lifetime warranty against stainless steel rust through

This is good to know, thanks!

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 10:22:40 AM »
Hey jane x--I've read several cool and memorable comments you've made on journals here on MMM and was hoping you have a journal I could follow.  Couldn't locate one.  Do you have one?  And, if not, please consider starting one!

Sincerely,
A fan

About dishwashers, we got a new one about 5 months ago and both my husband and I marvel that it cleans and dries so well.  We've had 4 previous dishwashers (mostly inherited from houses we've bought, but one brand new GE Adora model.  They all sucked).  Not one of then cleaned the dishes.  We always joked that we were sterilizing them. 

Anyway, we did a total kitchen remodel and I started researching dishwashers thinking we might replace our 13 year old sterilizer (GE Adora) to try to get a dishwasher that wouldn't require all the scrubbing and rinsing.  I got on the Houzz forums and read reviews on appliance websites almost obsessively and ended up finding an out of the box but unused Miele on Craigslist listed by a used/scratch dent store.  They included a 30 day warranty through their own mom & pop store, but I was still worried it would malfunction or something after the 30 days.  It was still a ridiculously high price ($800), but more than half off list price. 

Long story short, we've had it installed for 5 months and I couldn't love it more!  It's worked flawlessly (knock wood that continues). Not saying you should buy a Miele, but I'm a convert to getting a dishwasher that actually cleans even if it costs quite a lot of money!  I've read a lot of good things about Bosch and even the newer models of Kitchenaide.  Maybe there are low cost dishwashers that really clean, but I'd just had so many negative experiences with "regular" dishwashers, I decided to "upgrade."  Generally, I don't really believe that upgrading stuff like that makes enough of a difference in quality to conmpensate for the price.

Good luck & hope to see a journal from you soon.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 10:32:09 AM »
I wouldn't pay anything for a dishwasher myself, because I'd do my dishes by hand instead. What's the point of putting things in a dishwasher if it's going to use electricity, create a bunch of noise, take time to load and unload anyway, and you may end up still having to rinse your dishes beforehand?

If you really insist on getting a dishwasher, I agree with the other people who are saying to look for used nearly-new dishwashers, either on Craigslist or elsewhere.
Uses a lot less water than handwashing.

My dishwasher isn't noisy.

Loading is a breeze.

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 02:10:43 PM »

You may have thought about it a lot, but it deserves a facepunch just the same. Nobody needs a dishwasher; they waste space, don't clean dishes as well as your hands and the sink do, ruin perfectly good silverware, waste a ton of energy, and what you're focused on is stuff like which one is fanciest? Nuh-uh.
What about sanitizing? This is the main reason I like the dishwasher, long periods of hot steam

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 02:33:50 PM »

What about sanitizing? This is the main reason I like the dishwasher, long periods of hot steam
Most any dishwasher will sanitize, and I've seen nothing to indicate that proper hand-washing results in dishes which are less sanitary.
Speaking from a commercial kitchen standpoint, you do not need to run dishes through a mechanical dishwasher before re-using. When its very busy it's common practice for humans (called 'dishwashers') to clean and dry the dishes before they quickly go back into rotation.

SansSkill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 03:32:39 AM »
You could give me one for free and I'd just give it away.
Just buy some soap and start scrubbing, takes a couple of minutes like once or twice a week or so.
Just feels like a waste to pay electricity / water / the machine when the time saved is non existant to doing it manually.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 05:03:55 AM »
How do you only wash dishes a couple of minutes twice/week?

We do a lot of cooking (and evidently use a lot of dishes.) I wash dishes every day, and run the dishwasher every day.

(I also have a kitchen in my classroom, and wash dishes there every day.)

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 05:59:28 AM »
I have a Bosch and I don't remember how much it cost. We have hard water and it caused some maintenance issues, the tech insisted that I only use a certain premium pod detergent - like Finish quantum, and that I use dishwasher cleaner occasionally that helps with the hard water (I actually should do this about now.)   I can't remember how long I've had the machine but it's been fine for us.   From what I hear Miele makes a great dishwasher but they are more $$. 

A dishwasher is luxury for us but we get to choose a few luxuries.  Good luck with your purchase.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 06:15:20 AM »
How do you only wash dishes a couple of minutes twice/week?

We do a lot of cooking (and evidently use a lot of dishes.) I wash dishes every day, and run the dishwasher every day.

(I also have a kitchen in my classroom, and wash dishes there every day.)
You could give me one for free and I'd just give it away.
Just buy some soap and start scrubbing, takes a couple of minutes like once or twice a week or so.
Just feels like a waste to pay electricity / water / the machine when the time saved is non existant to doing it manually.

It seems like you are at opposite ends of the dish-washing spectrum. Perhaps the size of the family is a big factor here?
I can't imagine running a full dishwasher load every day, nor could I envision only washing dishes once or twice a week.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 09:41:26 AM »
I think if I was going to buy a new stove I'd probably spend about $400-$600 and just buy a glass top like I have now.  I've had it for 15 years and I've never had a problem with it.  But dishwashers seem to run into many more problems because people often share stories about it.  Is it just that the dishwasher's job is more complex, thus more prone to glitches?

I did spend almost $1,000 on my ss fridge, but that was mainly because of my space constraints and going for a particular look.  If I had to do it over, I would probably make a different choice as the one I bought is very nice-looking but very cheaply made and I didn't realize that at the time. 

I think part of the problem is that consumers as a whole demand a lot of stuff and still want the item to be cheap.  People want a fancy looking fridge with lots of fancy features and they want it to be cheap too.  But mfg's and retailers still have to build in certain costs, so they cut corners on materials and production.  Yesterday I was coming home and stopped off at Five Guys to buy a burger and they had a big Now Hiring sign.  The starting pay is $13.50/hr with benefits of free employee meals, bonuses and tips.  $13.50/hr is also what Wendy's and In-N-Out pays.  And the real estate costs here are insane, both for buying and renting.  Obviously, something's gonna give.

So I understand that buying a good-quality machine might cost more, and I'm okay with that.  It's just hard to know which of the machines are the good ones! 

And that's what this thread is for: to help me find a good machine.  I would appreciate if the folks interested in discussing the pros/cons of purchasing a machine would start a different thread to avoid derailing this one.  It's off-putting to come into the thread and be told you deserve to be face punched for spending your money the way you see fit.  It's off-putting to me, and I'm sure it's off-putting to others who might want to contribute to the conversation.  Please be considerate and allow this conversation to continue without making offensive and negative comments.  Thanks.

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »
We have 2 kids, cook for them every night, and the time savings of our new dishwasher is considerable.  Even MMM bought a nailgun instead only using a hammer to save time.  :)

We got a highly rated consumer reports dishwasher for a low price - whirlpool Model # WDF520PADM.   ($328 for stainless on sale, would have been ~$250 for white or black).  We couldn't be happier, it works very well, quiet, and was easy to install.

Good luck on your purchase.

- Chops

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »
We have 2 kids, cook for them every night, and the time savings of our new dishwasher is considerable.  Even MMM bought a nailgun instead only using a hammer to save time.  :)

We got a highly rated consumer reports dishwasher for a low price - whirlpool Model # WDF520PADM.   ($328 for stainless on sale, would have been ~$250 for white or black).  We couldn't be happier, it works very well, quiet, and was easy to install.

Good luck on your purchase.

- Chops

Thanks for your reply Chops.  I just saw that HD has this model on sale for $357 in stainless.  How does yours handle pots and pans?  I do lots of batch cooking from scratch.

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 01:17:13 PM »
It handles them great, we've been impressed.  FYI - We don't use the dry cycle so there is sometimes a small amount of water left in a pot, we just turn them over and let them drain after. 

- Chops

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2018, 06:01:36 PM »
Yeah, family size and #meals you eat at home are key. With a homeschooling family of seven, I run the dishwasher at least once a day.

dhc

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2018, 06:38:46 PM »

<snip>

I would appreciate if the folks interested in discussing the pros/cons of purchasing a machine would start a different thread to avoid derailing this one. 
Here's an excellent thread with some thought-provoking arguments on both sides: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/dishwasher-vs-hand-washing/

It's off-putting to come into the thread and be told you deserve to be face punched for spending your money the way you see fit.  It's off-putting to me, and I'm sure it's off-putting to others who might want to contribute to the conversation.  Please be considerate and allow this conversation to continue without making offensive and negative comments.  Thanks.
With all due respect, what you see as "off-putting" is also a large part of what MMM is all about. This isn't Consumer Reports or Bogleheads; the point of MMM is to challenge "normal" pre-conceptions about what's actually necessary to spend money on. And in at least one comment on a blog post, MMM himself refers to a dishwasher as a luxury (though also noting that he finds value in this particular luxury).

My point is, if you don't want to be challenged to think outside of your specific question, this probably isn't the appropriate forum to ask it. The whole rest of the world is willing to answer specific questions you ask without challenging the status quo behind them. One of the great things about this community is that it won't necessarily play by your arbitrary rules, and will instead challenge you to consider the greater context a particular decision fits into.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2018, 08:35:11 AM »
@chops - one more question if I may?  Do you have to rinse things before putting them in washer?  Thanks!

@MsGuided - thank you for your kind words.  You're very sweet.  I tried keeping a journal but it was boring and depressing because the only time I feel like journaling is when I'm feeling bad.  :)   So I abandoned it all together. 

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2018, 08:59:16 AM »

<snip>

I would appreciate if the folks interested in discussing the pros/cons of purchasing a machine would start a different thread to avoid derailing this one. 
Here's an excellent thread with some thought-provoking arguments on both sides: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/dishwasher-vs-hand-washing/

It's off-putting to come into the thread and be told you deserve to be face punched for spending your money the way you see fit.  It's off-putting to me, and I'm sure it's off-putting to others who might want to contribute to the conversation.  Please be considerate and allow this conversation to continue without making offensive and negative comments.  Thanks.
With all due respect, what you see as "off-putting" is also a large part of what MMM is all about. This isn't Consumer Reports or Bogleheads; the point of MMM is to challenge "normal" pre-conceptions about what's actually necessary to spend money on. And in at least one comment on a blog post, MMM himself refers to a dishwasher as a luxury (though also noting that he finds value in this particular luxury).

My point is, if you don't want to be challenged to think outside of your specific question, this probably isn't the appropriate forum to ask it. The whole rest of the world is willing to answer specific questions you ask without challenging the status quo behind them. One of the great things about this community is that it won't necessarily play by your arbitrary rules, and will instead challenge you to consider the greater context a particular decision fits into.

The OP is already getting a dishwasher, let's not make this like the mortgage payoff thread where people come in and crap all over other people's perfectly acceptable decisions. 

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2018, 02:56:44 PM »
Jane X -

No, we just scrape off any food particles we can (and leave the small ones) and put them right into the dishwasher.  No pre-rinsing required, and they end up perfectly clean.  Glad I've been of help to you!!

Have a good weekend,

Chops

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2018, 08:45:23 AM »
Jane X -

No, we just scrape off any food particles we can (and leave the small ones) and put them right into the dishwasher.  No pre-rinsing required, and they end up perfectly clean.  Glad I've been of help to you!!

Have a good weekend,

Chops

Thank you Chops!  You have been a tremendous help.  I know exactly which dishwasher I'm getting.  :)  And I'll be saving a bunch of money to boot.

A wonderful weekend to you as well!

freeat57

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2018, 10:39:11 AM »
A comment and a story:  The consensus seems to be that, with today's efficient dishwashers, it is a more environmentally friendly choice to use a machine rather than hand wash.  The Whirlpool suggested by Chops seems like a great, economic choice.  Whirlpool is a common brand and part are easily available and reasonably priced. The European brands can be very expensive to repair.

Now the story.  I've never actually bought a dishwasher.  I've bought houses, which already had dishwashers.  My first house, purchased in 1992, was a 1930 bungalow with a circa late 1970s remodeled kitchen.  (Yellow counters, floor, walls, appliances)  After a few years, the dishwasher pump died and no repair part was available.  I went a few months hand washing dishes.  One day, on "big trash" day, I saw a dishwasher on the curb with the trash a couple of blocks away from my house.  I recognized it as a vintage Maytag like the one my parents had.  I knocked on the door to ask the people what was wrong with it, but there was no answer.  Looking inside it, I saw that it was completely caked up with hard water deposit.  Hoping that was the only issue, I went home, got my wheelbarrow and carted it to my back yard.  A quick test showed that the pump worked. I spent about four hours on a pleasant Summer afternoon disassembling and cleaning it.  It worked beautifully and was still in the house when I sold it about 8 years later.  SCORE!!!!

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2018, 12:17:00 PM »
We recently bought a Whirlpool after our old KitchenAid dishwasher (possibly from the 70’s, had wood paneling) started shrieking and a repair person said that they don’t make the part I need anymore.  The modern one cleans much better!  The people from the store said that you actually shouldn’t pre-rinse, just scrape, since the sensors that check for remaining food particles won’t read it accurately with a prerinse.

We tried a few kinds of pods and love the ones from Trader Joe’s.  No chemical smells and the dishes come out very clean.  Also, another tip: the first few times the dishwasher ended up smelling like a swamp.  Turns out that there is water underneath that didn’t get fully pumped out during the run, maybe it’s water that drips from the dishes afterward.  If you hold down the start button for several seconds, it runs a 3 minute drain that will pump out all that water.  No more swamp smell after that!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2018, 08:39:42 AM »
Our dishwasher runs a 2-minute drain cycle if you hit the stop/cancel button while it's not running.

I wonder if there's a dishwasher equivalent of Speed Queen washers/dryers, i.e. no bells or whistles, but effective and reliable.  A relative of mine recently had his (modern, electronic) washing machine fail on him, and it would have cost $600 to repair.  On the advice of his trusted appliance repair guy, he eventually settled on a commercial Speed Queen with electromechanical controls, i.e. zero electronics at all.  It is literally the last and only model on the market that is electronics-free.  The distributor my relative found said that he cannot keep them in stock.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2018, 11:29:37 AM »
I do love my Speed Queen washer!

Happy Little Chipmunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2018, 11:44:29 AM »
We bought our first dishwasher 18 years ago when we had our first kid. It was a Bosh. We bought our second dishwasher this year. It was also a Bosh. Love the third tray up top and the stainless interior. We bought a top of the line ($1000 retail), but found it in the ding & dent section of our local appliance store and installed it ourselves.

Installation is pretty easy if you are a family that enjoys projects. If you are replacing an existing unit, remember to replace the braided hose; eventually those things can leak. Replacing it is cheap insurance for future happiness.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2018, 04:24:04 PM »
Our dishwasher runs a 2-minute drain cycle if you hit the stop/cancel button while it's not running.

I wonder if there's a dishwasher equivalent of Speed Queen washers/dryers, i.e. no bells or whistles, but effective and reliable.  A relative of mine recently had his (modern, electronic) washing machine fail on him, and it would have cost $600 to repair.  On the advice of his trusted appliance repair guy, he eventually settled on a commercial Speed Queen with electromechanical controls, i.e. zero electronics at all.  It is literally the last and only model on the market that is electronics-free.  The distributor my relative found said that he cannot keep them in stock.

We got the same one, and dryer. Love them

Krolik

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2018, 01:31:29 PM »
We bought Whirlpool (Gold series) on sale from HD and I am very happy with it. Does the job and is quiet. We paid ~ $400.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!