Author Topic: How Much to Give to Charity  (Read 28773 times)

oinkette

• Stubble
  • Well behaved women rarely make history.
How Much to Give to Charity
« on: September 26, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »
I realize this is probably a controversial topic as it's rather personal for some but I'm curious as to how much the average mustachian individual gives to charity, especially during the FIRE building phase. I noticed on Mr. Money Mustache's posts that he gave 1,734 in 2012 which translates to almost 7% of his spending for that year (if my math is right).

I haven't found this posted anywhere else here so I thought I would ask. 

Where are you on the path to FIRE?
  • There already?
  • Debt free and building?
  • "Debt Emergency"?

And how much do you give to charity (percent or dollar amount)?

I'm also curious as to those who have substituted money for whatever reason (not approving of how many charities use funds, not wanting to cut into FIRE goals, etc.) with other forms of giving such as time, items, purchasing from philanthropic companies, etc. 

As for me, I'm currently in a minor "Debt Emergency" of $14000 in student loans.  Since it's only going to take me until early next year to pay it off I have decided to cut off giving money and instead donate a lot of items I no longer need/want (thanks to being influenced by this blog!) and some of my time. 

Phoebe

• Stubble
    • Phoebe's Journey
Re: How Much to Give to Charity
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 02:54:12 PM »
We are on the way to FIRE, and we've pushed ourselves to give more.  Last year we gave only $545, and this year we are on track to give $1300 (but may be more as we give to causes the come up sporadically as well).  This will represent around 3% of our spending this year, and I don't even want to figure out what percentage of our income (way less than 1%).

I'll just say that I don't think we have this figured out yet.  Giving $100 a month to charity feels like a lot when we examine our spending, but compared to our salary it seems minuscule and I feel guilty.  I think we'll continue to slowly give more each year until we're where we feel more comfortable.  We also make sure to give with our time as well, but the fact is that we wan to do both.  I'm interested in seeing what others give.

MamaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »
I prefer to donate my time, and also things more than actual money.  We will do random acts of kindness though the year like pay for a random family's dinner.  I also donate through work to the United Way when they offer jeans day stickers ($5 for one day to allow wearing jeans to work!)  I will also donate at work to the United Way when there are raffles, gift baskets for purchase, silent auctions, and my favorite, the "kids garage sale"....  actually that time of year is coming up pretty quickly and I am getting excited.   

Also blood donations.    It's not always about how much money, right?  Wait.....  :-)

rufflina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »
I'm debt free and building. I admit I don't give that much - $5 a year to my university (so I can contribute to the "alumni giving percentage"), and <$100 a year to various organizations if I feel like it. It would be even less than that but my company only matches donations of $50+ so I feel like I should give at least $50 when I do donate. So yeah, basically nothing considering my take home salary of $6000 a month (plus bonus and stocks).

I do try to regularly donate blood, though, like the PP mentioned. Red Cross comes to my company about every 8 weeks (which is how often you're eligible again), and I have type O+ blood to boot so I feel like it's a place where my contributions would be really valued. :) Even more so if I had type O- blood, but oh well...

I've really been meaning to get on a bone marrow registry as well.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 03:14:36 PM »
We are on the way to FIRE, and we've pushed ourselves to give more.  Last year we gave only $545, and this year we are on track to give $1300 (but may be more as we give to causes the come up sporadically as well).  This will represent around 3% of our spending this year, and I don't even want to figure out what percentage of our income (way less than 1%).

I'll just say that I don't think we have this figured out yet.  Giving $100 a month to charity feels like a lot when we examine our spending, but compared to our salary it seems minuscule and I feel guilty.  I think we'll continue to slowly give more each year until we're where we feel more comfortable.  We also make sure to give with our time as well, but the fact is that we wan to do both.  I'm interested in seeing what others give.

We're in the same boat, different numbers, but the same concept.  Actually, one of my goals for FI includes being able to participate and give generously to the charities I feel passionate about - I don't plan on quitting work until I can meet my goals of charity giving levels within my FI plan.....well, unless work becomes completely unbearable!

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 03:15:32 PM »
I donate:
  • Time.  I'm president of a non-profit (3rd year, 5th year on board).  I probably devoate about 20 hours a month in season, 5-10 hours out of season.  My husband is looking forward to me going off the board in 2 years.
  • Things.  I donate a whole bunch of products (e.g. shampoo to contact solution) to a women's shelter, my declutter efforts to charity, and specific items to my charity above.  I also have donated blood, most recently last month (but wouldn't have thought to list if someone else hadn't mentioned it first). 
  • Money.  I donate about 2.5-3% of what I spend.

oinkette

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 03:23:54 PM »

We're in the same boat, different numbers, but the same concept.  Actually, one of my goals for FI includes being able to participate and give generously to the charities I feel passionate about - I don't plan on quitting work until I can meet my goals of charity giving levels within my FI plan.....well, unless work becomes completely unbearable!

I feel the same way. I'm certain that once I reach FI I'll be giving a lot more than I ever have, simply because I will have otherwise met my financial and lifestyle goals. I do look forward to that part of it. Right now, maybe because I've only recently decided to jump on the FIRE bandwagon, I feel a certain urgency and am far more...selfish? with my money. But that's with regards to everything else as well (food, clothing, going out with friends).  I'm hoping that once the initial thrill of starting this tames I'll be a tiny bit more reasonable with all of my spending, including charity.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 04:00:00 PM »
We're still building wealth. At this time we probably only donate about 1% (or less) of our income to charity. I volunteer regularly though. As we do get toward financial independence, we will start to give more. I have given some thought to how exactly I would like to approach it. One of the big appeals of financial independence and early retirement, for me, is that I will have more time to devote to improving my community. However if I'm still enjoying my job well enough when I get to FI, I would strongly consider "working to give" (i.e. staying in my job, maybe only part-time if I can negotiate that, and donating most or all of my take-home paycheck to charity). As someone in a relatively high-salary field, I think I can probably make a bigger impact by donating my salary than I could make by quitting my job and volunteering much of the time.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 05:02:19 PM »
The thing with trying to include charity in your budget is that you need to truly practice it to ensure you develop the muscle. If you desire to be charitable, don't just say you'll do it after you're FI as by that logic there'll aways be an excuse to wait, just do so.

Give enough that it makes a noticeable impact on your budget and you become aware of its presence, but not so much that it impedes your responsibilities, and practice it in every part of your walk through life... don't just give money or time or resources, simply give of yourself.

As for a number, it's interesting how the Judeo-Christian standard of 10% of your life hits that conscious spot of difficulty without being trying.

rufflina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 05:15:10 PM »
Oh yeah, donating old stuff...I don't really count that myself because I always feel so thankful to Goodwill for taking my clutter! Haha.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »
This year we quit giving to the church we used to attend (we may go back, but needed a break; has nothing to do with the religion but more to do with not having slept in nearly two years --- thanks baby).  Instead, I've donated whenever people have come asking.  So far, we've given to St. Jude's Children's hospital, to a friend's pet's surgery (not deductible, but nice), to a friend's adoption fund (also not deductible), to my son's school for their art program (is deductible!), to my son's old school (items I made, time & some money and is deductible), provided meals for needy relative (not deductible).   

When we had auto-pay going to the church we donated a lot more money than we have this year.  I've been meaning to do more this year.  This tells me that if I make the decision to give and then make it a hard & fast part of the budget, we give and it works (and we feel pretty good about it).  If I wait until we feel like we have enough to give, we don't give very much at all, and I dislike that.  I don't want to be selfish and I don't want to become miserly.  If I don't have a giving spirit, then what good will millions of dollars do for me anyway?

I ran a tax simulator to see how we stand on our taxes for this year, and unless we increase our giving, we won't be able to itemize.  Basically, if we donate another $2500 to charity (on top of what we've already given this year), then we could reduce our effective tax rate from 8.9% down to 5.6%.  That isn't the only reason to give, but it does make me think I'd rather give money to causes I care about than to the government.  Giving both time and money is good for the soul.

snuggler

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »
I'm in transition mode on how much to donate. When I was net worth negative (student loan debt) I donated nothing, and instead donated a lot of time.

Now that I am net worth positive, I am incorporating more giving, and trying to dial back on how much time I give (I give a LOT of time).

I like the 10% rule, but I also like being flexible about how I give 10%. I certainly have given 10% of my time the past few years, but gave very little money. I'm hoping to change that as I'm saving for FI.

suntailedshadow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 06:01:12 PM »
Debt Free and building. We are currently giving about 5-6% of our gross. We donate about 5-10 hours a week between the wife and I.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 06:31:46 PM »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 06:56:41 PM »
I don't actuall believe in.. this kind of charity. Reasons?

Horror stories of how much money donated to breast cancer is not spent on searching for a cure for breast cancer; a friend contracted for Comic Relief in the UK and said the waste was incredible.

Aid to Africa has quite possibly done more harm than good (Christian missions? Oh... my).

Volunteering deprives people of paid work - you have to be well enough off to volunteer.

Now. I do give, a little, to certain projects like Mozilla, etc. I am leaning towards giving a chunk to the Gates foundation when I die.. because I have a feeling they are much more effective with the money. But will I give $2 to Loblaws' whatever at the checkout? No. Sorry, but no.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 07:07:43 PM »
10% of gross income.  My tithing check is written before everything else each month.

oinkette

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 09:02:08 PM »

Ha ha, I figured it would be.  As for everyone else, thanks for responding. I know it's a rather personal issue that involves all the touchstones of "taboo" discussions (religion, poloitics, income, etc.).

Diamondpick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Life. There are no second acts.
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 09:56:47 PM »
10% in cash at least...much much more in time and services...

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 06:27:51 AM »

Horror stories of how much money donated to breast cancer is not spent on searching for a cure for breast cancer; a friend contracted for Comic Relief in the UK and said the waste was incredible.

Aid to Africa has quite possibly done more harm than good (Christian missions? Oh... my).

Volunteering deprives people of paid work - you have to be well enough off to volunteer.

Now. I do give, a little, to certain projects like Mozilla, etc. I am leaning towards giving a chunk to the Gates foundation when I die.. because I have a feeling they are much more effective with the money. But will I give $2 to Loblaws' whatever at the checkout? No. Sorry, but no.

What I've seen of Gates F work has not been effective. YMMV. The point is that every charity will have areas where they need to improve. Charities are like any organization that will have good and bad apples. Some apples will be clueless with money management. Sometimes, the waste is fraud and sometimes it's just the organization getting the ship straightened out.

If how charities spend money concerns you, I would not decide NOT to give. I would do some research to see their audits. Charity Navigator gives out scores based on how much of a donation goes to programs. And, yes, part of your donation will probably go to maintain the workers who keep the place running. They, like you, need to eat and live.

But, to say you won't give because charities don't spend it well? I can't agree with that blanket statement when I see how many nonprofit workers make so little and do with so little in order to get their jobs done.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2013, 06:31:55 AM »

Wait a second. These two statements contradict each other a bit. I'll grant that it's a complicated situation.

So, let's say you donate money to a breast cancer fund and not much is used for breast cancer research. There are buildings to maintain. There are people to pay. Who knows? Maybe someone is stealing the money, but let's just say they are not. Let's say at least part of the money has to go to the people who run the organization. If they were not there, you would not know about their programs or probably even donate.

You also say volunteering deprives people of paid work. Absolutely true. At the same time, it means more money goes to breast cancer research because volunteers mean more of the money donated goes straight to the research.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2013, 07:01:19 AM »
This has been on my mind a lot lately so you've saved me from starting a thread.

I've always donated time, and several % of my income to charity. Ironically once I became a single parent I became much more convicted about the resources I had and gave to 10%.

When first mustachian I refused to cut any of my giving.

I've not made much of this on this forum but one of the reasons for my semi-retirement was ongoing chronic fatigue and some looming health problems if I did not reduce my working hours. 30 years of a stressful high income career,  increasingly less enjoyable with the passing of time, complicated by single parenting for the last 14, had finally taken its toll on my health.

After a lot of soulsearching I cut my giving by 50% on semiretirement. I'm hanging in there with the other 50%, but it might need to go too. I've really really struggled with this, but I think in the end its wiser to look after myself so I can look after others. In 3-5 years my kids will be fully independent and I will have money and time to give again.

edit:typo
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 05:17:19 PM by happy »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2013, 07:19:34 AM »

What I've seen of Gates F work has not been effective. YMMV. The point is that every charity will have areas where they need to improve. Charities are like any organization that will have good and bad apples. Some apples will be clueless with money management. Sometimes, the waste is fraud and sometimes it's just the organization getting the ship straightened out.

If how charities spend money concerns you, I would not decide NOT to give. I would do some research to see their audits. Charity Navigator gives out scores based on how much of a donation goes to programs. And, yes, part of your donation will probably go to maintain the workers who keep the place running. They, like you, need to eat and live.

But, to say you won't give because charities don't spend it well? I can't agree with that blanket statement when I see how many nonprofit workers make so little and do with so little in order to get their jobs done.

My wife works for a nonprofit so I know a bit about that. It's totally inefficient - the good people should get paid more, and the rest should find something they are good at. Of course, the answer is to become a board member and fix it (for a given charity). But... that's volunteering. I believe in taxpayer-funded healthcare.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2013, 07:25:55 AM »
I don't give anything to charity.
45% of my pay goes to the goverment, about half of it is social securtiy. I feel like it's the goverments responsibilty to use that money to fund homeless shelters, schools and the like.

I don't believe in giving money to foreign countries, that's just covering the upper layer, not fixing the problems.
I do believe in economic reasons. That is, I buy fair trade stuff, buy organic food and have electricity from 100% renewable energies.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2013, 07:26:50 AM »
You also say volunteering deprives people of paid work. Absolutely true. At the same time, it means more money goes to breast cancer research because volunteers mean more of the money donated goes straight to the research.

Depends on the organization, but that would be a very nice thought if it were true. 

As far as donations - right now, I donate randomly and it is a very small percentage.  Part of my issue with donating to medical research is that I don't always believe research is testing everything they should be.  For instance, the chronic illness I have.  I don't believe the facilities are working to test more natural solutions.  Instead, they are recommending things as drastic as stem cell replacement.  Those are expensive.  And while anecdotal, I have heard of numerous cases of mediations + natural solutions putting the illness into remission.  I am a scientist by nature, but I think sometimes scientist believe that science (ala new medicines) must be the answer. 

I am looking into how to become actively involved with Habit for Humanity.   I never really learned the handy skills to do things around the house and I think that would be a great thing to learn and awesome way of doing it.  Of course if things go the way I am hoping over the next 6 months, it might have to wait.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2013, 07:35:51 AM »

Wait a second. These two statements contradict each other a bit. I'll grant that it's a complicated situation.

So, let's say you donate money to a breast cancer fund and not much is used for breast cancer research. There are buildings to maintain. There are people to pay. Who knows? Maybe someone is stealing the money, but let's just say they are not. Let's say at least part of the money has to go to the people who run the organization. If they were not there, you would not know about their programs or probably even donate.

Offtopic, but breast cancer is a particularly difficult one because so much is spent on *awareness* rather than *research*.

I agree, it's complicated; I tend to be a black/white person, and there are enough things I have heard, read and felt about 'charities' generally that my answer has been to disconnect. It's not 'the right' answer, I just don't believe in 'the whole thing'. I disconnect from things I don't like.

Ben

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2013, 07:47:31 AM »
45% of my pay goes to the goverment, about half of it is social securtiy.

Wow, that is brutal, what country are you in? Can't wrap my head around that kind of income tax, I am glad to be in the US...

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2013, 07:54:33 AM »
I have noticed that when I give to big corporation-like charities (Doctors Without Borders for example) they have spent my donations sending mailings to ask for more money, I presume to buy yet even more mailings. I'm done with that.

We just gave $2k to a local non-profit which makes bike paths, hopefully near our house soon.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 07:55:16 AM »
We're debt-free, but in rough shape in terms of retirement and kids' college, so we're definitely in the starter phase of financial freedom.

We donate a small amount each year to National Jewish, which is a pulmonary hospital in Denver that saved our daughter's life (she also saves some of her allowance for them). Once we're on better footing, this will be where the bulk of our donations go.

I'm a social work researcher at a local university, so am involved in helping numerous community agencies at a program evaluation level.
And yeah, I give to the United Way campaigns at work each year.

Finally, we make a donation to our kids' non-profit Montessori-based school each year. One day I'd like to be able to make a larger one, but for now we do $150 per kid each year.

We're trying to raise our kids in a culture of giving, but so far it's mostly been giving of time and sending small bits of allowance to National Jewish. For us, it's one of the parts of parenting that is most important for us to get right, and we've been putting a lot of thought into it as they get older (they're 12 and nine now).

Phoebe

• Stubble
    • Phoebe's Journey
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 08:12:26 AM »
The thing with trying to include charity in your budget is that you need to truly practice it to ensure you develop the muscle. If you desire to be charitable, don't just say you'll do it after you're FI as by that logic there'll aways be an excuse to wait, just do so.

I totally agree.  Last year we gave about $10 per week, and this year we decided to double it and give to anything that came up sporadically that we wanted to give to.  Each time we give more, we're surprised by how good it makes us feel.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2013, 08:21:48 AM »

This is a fallacy to me.  Your statement assumes that if one doesn't volunteer, someone else will be paid to do the work that you are doing, rather than that it just remains undone.  I can tell you that at least for what I do, very little would be paid rather than being undone (a bit would be taken up by someone else).

And btw, regarding the "well enough off to volunteer" it may interest you to know that the lower and middle class donates a greater percentage of their income than the wealthy do.  (Yes, I know, the wealthy didn't become it giving money away...)

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 09:02:24 AM »
I shoot for 10%, but I stagger it so I come in at 0 some years, and well above the standard deduction on the other years.  I'd hate to be giving just under $5,900 every year, and not receive a deduction, so this year, I'll probably give 15-20%.
I also think 10% is not necessary, but so many people are in such awful positions, and I'm in such a good one ... it doesn't make sense not to do something.
I mostly give to local charities - church school (mostly low income students with tuition assistance and donation is employer matched), local homeless shelters, organizations that provide help to pregnant women.

I also try to do some volunteer work, but that's only totaled ~30 hours this year, so not really that much.

All money and hour go to local organizations which I am familiar with.  I also will not donate time/money to food organizations (except maybe an actual soup kitchen - my work sponsors food-bank sorting) because I see how much food flows into shelters and doesn't get used because everyone has this misconception that food is the #1 needed item.

Dulcimina

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 09:11:29 AM »
I have noticed that when I give to big corporation-like charities (Doctors Without Borders for example) they have spent my donations sending mailings to ask for more money, I presume to buy yet even more mailings. I'm done with that.

We just gave $2k to a local non-profit which makes bike paths, hopefully near our house soon.

+1

In 2010, after the Haiti earthquakes, I made one time donations to Doctors without Borders and Oxfam.  There was a box to click if it was a one-time donation, and I didn't want to be contacted.  This was online with a credit card, so no option to do it anonymously.  They have continued to harass me with mailings and e-mails.  They've sold my name to other charities, so I get mailings from those places with pictures of mangled animals and babies with deformed cleft palates.  The same thing happened before that when I contributed to various charities through the annual drive at work.  Twenty years later, my alma mater is still stalking me and calling at night to see if I want to donate to whatever fundraising scheme.

It's not that I mind giving.  I just want to give without having to worry about another hand out begging before the ink has dried on the first check.

avonlea

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2013, 09:32:14 AM »

+1

In 2010, after the Haiti earthquakes, I made one time donations to Doctors without Borders and Oxfam.  There was a box to click if it was a one-time donation, and I didn't want to be contacted.  This was online with a credit card, so no option to do it anonymously.  They have continued to harass me with mailings and e-mails.  They've sold my name to other charities, so I get mailings from those places with pictures of mangled animals and babies with deformed cleft palates.  The same thing happened before that when I contributed to various charities through the annual drive at work.  Twenty years later, my alma mater is still stalking me and calling at night to see if I want to donate to whatever fundraising scheme.

It's not that I mind giving.  I just want to give without having to worry about another hand out begging before the ink has dried on the first check.

Yes, I know exactly what you are saying.  We have given to those same places and have dealt with the same issue.  I was very happy to find Heifer International last year--loved their mission, but now they are sending me a lot of requests in the mail, too. :(

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2013, 09:53:49 AM »
45% of my pay goes to the goverment, about half of it is social securtiy.

Wow, that is brutal, what country are you in? Can't wrap my head around that kind of income tax, I am glad to be in the US...
Germany, of course there some advantages, like free college admission, better public schools and social securitry for retirement is something you can actually live on.
But I still don't fell like donating even more.

maryofdoom

• Stubble
  • Jeopardy! loser since 2010
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2013, 10:02:42 AM »
I donate blood as often as I can - I have O- blood and so the blood people call and harass me sometimes.

Charitable endeavors to which I have given money in the past include Planned Parenthood, the Red Cross, and Heifer International, but I've fallen out of the habit of doing anything like that. I also don't donate to my undergrad alma mater, because they honestly didn't give a crap about me while I was going to school there and only deigned to acknowledge me when I graduated; and I don't donate to my grad school alma mater, because they have a $1 billion endowment AND I AM ALSO EMPLOYED THERE.

I also find myself volunteering to help the ladies with whom I embroider on Friday nights. A lot of people upthread have talked about giving of their time, instead of financially, and I like that idea very much. I feel like my time is just as limited as the amount of money I have, and if I can pitch in by helping someone learn something new, or with picking up some groceries for them while I'm shopping, I'm going to do that.

How does everyone in this thread feel about donating money directly to individuals? For example, I have an Internet friend who is unable to work, due to bipolar disorder and other medical conditions, and although she's receiving government assistance, it's not nearly enough to cover the cost of her medications. Sometimes people in similar situations will post that they need donations for medical issues, or for vet care, or for something, and if I can help people who are having problems, I feel good in doing so.

historienne

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2013, 10:04:49 AM »
We give 5% of our after-tax income.  In the past, I've also volunteered about 4 hrs/week at a women's shelter, but that's on hold right now because we have a newborn. 

For those concerned with the effectiveness of charitable giving, you may be interested in Givewell, an organisation that rates charities based on evidence of effectiveness.  I have some quibbles with their methods, and they only cover charities that opt in to participate, so it's by no means comprehensive, but it's a good starting point.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »
I volunteer on the board of directors for a local non-profit, and most of my charitable donations go to that organization as well.  It's not even close to 10%, I wish it was. 

I do owe a lot of band/school/sports fundraising karma to the universe as well, so I am a shoe-in for your cookie dough, jog-a-thon, carwash coupons and so forth.  I keep a line in my budget well stocked for this sort of thing.  I also use this part of the budget to answer the call of friends for whatever they are raising funds for.  Usually for causes involving kids, basic human needs, disaster relief.

In winter, I scope out the grapevine/Craigslist for someone to help around the holidays.  I guess that kind of counts as giving to individuals over the internet?  I don't give money, I usually fulfill specific requests like a Christmas tree or a couple of toys.  I've had 100% wonderful experiences with this.  One time I bought a couple of toys for a single dad and when we met up, it turned out to be someone I knew a long time ago and we both pretty much felt the universe click back into place a little that night. :) 

lackofstache

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2013, 10:33:18 AM »
I too give more time than money. While trying to save, it works better for my family. It's also nice to see what your donation does directly rather than just hoping it has a solid effect.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »

I am looking into how to become actively involved with Habit for Humanity.   I never really learned the handy skills to do things around the house and I think that would be a great thing to learn and awesome way of doing it.  Of course if things go the way I am hoping over the next 6 months, it might have to wait.

I helped build a house for Habitat. Another time, I helped fix an existing house. I recommend it.

esperto

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 10:58:45 AM »
I give 10% of my money to my church, frequently donate time to others, sometimes donate stuff.  I believe in living with a spirit of generosity and kindness to others.

Giving to or serving others is good.  Allowing others to give to or serve you is also good.  Don't deny others the opportunity to be a blessing in someone's life, even if that someone is you.  Just pay it forward when you can.  Nothing makes you feel rich like knowing you have enough and then some, than to give someone less fortunate than you.

As far as charities go.  Giving to local charities means you are helping those closer to you, your actual neighbors. 

One of the great things about this day and age, is that that charities are under greater scrutiny than ever to actually be efficient and productive with the funds, stuff, and volunteers they get.  Just as everything else mustachian, scrutinize the value being added by your dollars when you give.  Give only to the ones you feel are the best stewards of what your placing in their hands.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »

I have volunteered for them a few times in the past. It's pretty easy to get into. The first time you'll probably want to contact someone at your local Habitat office beforehand so they know you want to volunteer. They'll direct you to a build site. Once you're there, get to know the people working on that house (they often have full-time Americorps folks doing a lot of the coordination). They'll rarely have a problem with you just showing up on the site when you have a free day to help out. You do learn quite a bit. Things I've done have included cutting and installing snap-together wood flooring, building forms for a concrete foundation, nailing together framing members in the house, building a fence, demolishing the interior of a foreclosed house so it could be renovated, and more. Those are the good days. Other times they'll have you spend most of the day moving a pile of building materials from one place to another so it's in the right spot for the next work group. It really varies.

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2013, 12:23:36 PM »
I've given time and money to political campaigns, but that certainly isn't charity. I don't really give any time or money to charities.  I don't really feel guilty about it either, so i'd be trying to make myself feel like a better person if I said "i want to give more" or "i'll give more when i'm in a better financial situation".  I feel like I really am a good person, and like to do nice things for my family and friends, i just don't really think about charity or giving to it.  Maybe that makes me a bad person or a burden on our society. I like to think i'm socially responsible though- I pay my taxes, serve on juries, vote, obey traffic signals, etc. i just don't give anything to charities. I certainly think charities are a good thing, and do great things.  And I suppose if I suddenly needed the services of a charity tomorrow, it would be a great thing that they existed and that other people decided to give to them  (Although, i'd imagine that most people who do give to charities don't do so as some sort of cosmic insurance policy in case they need it) 

Anyway, just thought I would be honest.   

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2013, 12:45:38 PM »
As I've said elsewhere, I don't give money, and I'm not really interested in doing so. But I am a successful grantwriter, which is a highly paid field. I chair the board of a local nonprofit and volunteer as their grantwriter; I bring in the majority of their annual budget that way, and it's considerably more than my annual gross income. Plus they don't have to pay a grantwriter. That's enough.

The nonprofit is also education-related, so I get to put it on my annual report at work as service to the profession. That makes a win-win, my favorite sort of situation.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2013, 12:53:34 PM »
As I've said elsewhere, I don't give money, and I'm not really interested in doing so. But I am a successful grantwriter, which is a highly paid field. I chair the board of a local nonprofit and volunteer as their grantwriter; I bring in the majority of their annual budget that way, and it's considerably more than my annual gross income. Plus they don't have to pay a grantwriter. That's enough.

The nonprofit is also education-related, so I get to put it on my annual report at work as service to the profession. That makes a win-win, my favorite sort of situation.

Want to write grants for my favorite non-profit too?  It has an education component :)

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2013, 07:52:14 AM »
I've given time and money to political campaigns, but that certainly isn't charity.

I would argue political donations to candidates in local races, particularly in more-ghetto-like areas where corruption runs rampant, are almost as good (maybe even better) than charitable donations.  Many of those areas won't improve until the money stops flowing to the politicians.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »
And I suppose if I suddenly needed the services of a charity tomorrow, it would be a great thing that they existed and that other people decided to give to them  (Although, i'd imagine that most people who do give to charities don't do so as some sort of cosmic insurance policy in case they need it)
It's not exactly the same thing, but I think "there but for the grace of God go I" is one of the larger motivations for charitable giving.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2013, 08:25:53 AM »
It's very small for me, probably only 1% of our pretax income.  I'm on a war path to FI, after that I plan on giving more.  I look at every expense as "Is this worth extending my time in a stressful job"

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2013, 08:56:14 AM »
I have been soured on charitable giving. When I donate to a cause, I get solicited for years and my name is sold over and over.

I've had to tell my three universities to take me off their lists. I paid for my education without scholarships so it was a business transaction, not a lifetime grab of my wallet.

I pay so much in taxes to the federal government, the state of California and Los Angeles County that I feel I am supporting a household of 12.

The best thing I can do is use my money to take care of my own family.

I appreciate those who feel differently, but this is the conclusion I have come to.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2013, 09:01:26 AM »
It's interesting how many people post based on their convenience versus how few post based on the needs of society. I'm not arguing that society's needs come before yours as an individual, but doesn't worrying about mailing lists count as tiny details exaggeration syndrome compared to the awesome power of preserving your community's history or saving lives from malaria with just a small portion of your incredible prosperity?

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2013, 11:28:34 AM »
It's interesting how many people post based on their convenience versus how few post based on the needs of society. I'm not arguing that society's needs come before yours as an individual, but doesn't worrying about mailing lists count as tiny details exaggeration syndrome compared to the awesome power of preserving your community's history or saving lives from malaria with just a small portion of your incredible prosperity?

That (should be) is tax. School, fire, police, etc comes from property tax. Health (in any civilized country, ha ha) comes from income tax.

Africa would be better off without 'charity' - IMHO. Free money is a crutch that often leaves the recipients unable to walk. Misguided charity, anyway.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying all people, all the time. Many people benefit from organised charity, I'm sure. It's not that simple, but I suspect the net benefit is... ambiguous.

Malaria should absolutely be fixed. But the governments in question really need to push.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!