Author Topic: How much should we pay to carpool if you never drive?  (Read 23034 times)

ghaynes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How much should we pay to carpool if you never drive?
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:54:23 AM »
Starting this week my wife is working in the city. Our neighbor has offered to carpool since her building is directly next to my wife's. They have similar work schedules and the parking garage is equal distance from one another. The amazing thing with our neighbor is she gets free parking ($180/mo perk) but in order to get the free parking she has to drive everyday.

So my wife will never need to drive again during the week and our neighbor has asked for no money but I feel obligated that we should pay for something since its costing her gas and wear and tear on her car. Plus not only are we saving on gas now but we also are saving on the $180 parking expense that I thought we would have to pay.

So what's a reasonable amount to give for something like this? The commute is 20 miles each way. The reason she is asking for no money is that she said she would be spending the gas anyway and she would enjoy the company. I would feel like we would be taking advantage of her if we didn't offer anything.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How much should we pay to carpool if you never drive?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 08:00:43 AM »
I'd probably offer at least $100/month, buy her a gift card for gas each month, or offer to take turns paying for gas or something. I also wouldn't feel 'right' about just getting a free ride every day without contributing something.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:11:10 AM »
You could use the standard reimburse rate that the government uses and pay X cents per mile driven. If that amount--can't recall what the new amount is--covered gas and wear and tear, that could be a way to handle it.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:59:39 AM »
I think it'd be best to pay something towards it because if the situation isn't working as planned, ie the neighbor is often late, calls in sick often, etc. you have a little more leverage. Whereas, if she's doing it free, beggars can't be choosers & all that. Agree with oldtoyota that basing it on the federal reimbursement rate seems ideal, that way if your neighbor drives a Hummer you're not subsidizing it.

SunshineGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:18:50 AM »
I'd make filling up the tank part of the weekly commute, maybe every Friday. They could trade off. Your wife is still getting the better end of the bargain, but your neighbor doesn't seem to be financially incented, so it probably wouldn't matter, and it "feels" fair.

Plus a nice gift card now and then.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 10:48:16 AM »
Take the federal rate, multiply by number of miles driven, divide by two. That's your basis. Of course this is an average and doesn't account for differences in vehicles such as fuel economy and cost of parking, the fact that she carries insurance regardless of you being in the car, or more generally the "she would drive them anyway" factor, so adjust as required.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 11:20:46 AM »
I liked the idea of paying for the every-other-week fill up, but that doesn't take into account any other driving that the other driver might do.  Using the federal reimbursement amount, it looks like it comes out to about $25/week, which sounds like a fair amount to me.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 12:38:50 PM »
Will, you obviously found it but just so other people know, the federal reimbursement rate for 2012 was $0.55 per mile.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 01:16:19 PM »
I personally feel fair payment would be using the neighbor's cars gas mileage and wear and tear estimate to derive how much you owe on a mileage or daily basis.  Having said that, Occam's Razor seems to be at play here and perhaps you should just go with the government rate.  However, if your neighbor does drive a highly fuel efficient machine and/or a vehicle with hardly no maintenance required, feel free to calculate the new rate (provided it is lower than the government rate) and offer that as payment.  In other words, use the gov rate if your neighbor drives something that costs more to you than $.55/mile but calculate the real rate provided the real rate is lower than $.55/mile if your neighbor drives something fuel efficient.

As far as payment, I'd try to pay my share at the pump with my credit card to get 3%/5% (or whatever rewards you would receive) back depending on the station you are at.

ghaynes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 01:47:20 PM »
Our neighbor drives a 2008 Honda CR-V which gets around 26 MPG highway so its not the best but not the worst.

I like the idea of filling up every other week which probably will work out to around using the federal reimbursement amount. This seems like a win-win for both sides since we both will cut our fuel cost by half for the month and we also can skip paying the $180 parking fee.

I should also look into dropping comprehensive and collision on my wife's car since its just going to sit all week, so this could be another big savings us.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 01:51:03 PM »
I should also look into dropping comprehensive and collision on my wife's car since its just going to sit all week, so this could be another big savings us.

The other thing to do while you are adjusting it is let them know it is "pleasure use" and not "work/commute."  That usually will result in a lot of savings as well.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »
One thing to keep in mind is that your neighbor is doing it, seemingly out of friendship. I would avoid money if at all possible. Instead I agree with something like filling up the tank, gift cards, or taking her and her family out to dinner. I could be wrong, but giving money can give the impression that it is something other than friendship.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »
I liked the idea of paying for the every-other-week fill up, but that doesn't take into account any other driving that the other driver might do.  Using the federal reimbursement amount, it looks like it comes out to about $25/week, which sounds like a fair amount to me.

40 miles round trip x 0.55 x 5 days / 2 people =$55/week.   

Although, I like the $25/week better due to the "she is already going there and didn't ask for anything" factor.

And I would probably due it with lunch or other gift/thank you gestures.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 03:33:17 PM »
I'm confuse about the free parking requirement.  Is there a sticker that can only be used on a single car?  Couldn't you just use her spot on alternate days?

ghaynes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 03:42:56 PM »
I'm confuse about the free parking requirement.  Is there a sticker that can only be used on a single car?  Couldn't you just use her spot on alternate days?

Yes, its a sticker that's issued at the beginning of each year for each employee that needs to be applied to the vehicle. It cannot be removed.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!