Author Topic: How much should I ask for it?  (Read 6365 times)

HAULIN3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Plant Strong!
How much should I ask for it?
« on: May 12, 2014, 07:55:27 AM »
In 2007 we purchased a brand new gorgeous pool table.  Big face slapping mistake.  We played a few times and the cover has been on ever since.  It looks like it just came off the showroom floor.  We paid $3,600.00.    How much should we even ask for it? I want to sell it.. I have one person interested, but price has not been discussed..  It has to be taken apart, moved and then reassembled and I guess refelted? anyway.. just wondering what everyone thought...

swick

• Magnum Stache
Re: How much should I ask for it?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 08:16:52 AM »
It depends on how badly you need to/want to sell it and the area you are in. A pool table is one of those items where you either know what you want and what you are willing to pay, or you want  something beat up that the family can play with. 

Because it is basically brand new, I would list at $3,000 - a pretty good discount for those with a serious interest. Although I have no idea what re-felting would cost. If you don't get any bites you can lower your price, or use that as a start for negotiating and settle lower.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 09:15:38 AM »
Would check what they are going for on your local Craigslist and compare based on that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:11:28 AM »
If you want to get the most money for something like a pool table that doesn't have much demand, be prepared to have it listed for a long time.  In my mind, a used pool table is likely going to fetch much less than the original purchase price.  They seem to sell used for 1-2 grand at most around here.

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 11:46:32 AM »
The moving and reassembling - not including refelting, if that is indeed necessary - is $500-$700, at least in my neck of the woods, so reasonably you're going to have to discount at least that much, on top of the "taking it out of the showroom" cut. $2000 is probably fair, and I'd be overjoyed if you could get $2500 for it.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 03:48:01 PM »
Why would it have to be re-felted if it's basically new?

The main issue is that moving a pool table is a huge pain in the ass.  You could list it for a lot more if you're willing to figure out a way to deliver.  Without delivery, I'd be surprised if you get more than about $1200.

It doesn't really matter if it's "almost new".  In my experience, you're taking 50% off the top of what you paid for just about any used item.  Then further deduct wear (minimal in this case) and transport (expensive).  BUT, this is highly location dependent, and it only takes one buyer.  So if you're thinking a free ad on Craigslist, it doesn't hurt to list it with your optimal price first, and then gradually reduce it until you find a buyer.  It all depends on how fast you want to get rid of it.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 07:46:41 PM »
Refelting is not necessary - my parent's pool table has been moved 5 times without it

Clover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:20:13 PM »
We were lucky, bought our 1973 Brunswick from the original owners of the house we were buying for $500 (paid $400 to refelt it).  Owned it for 14 years and sold it last month for $800.  It needed to be taken apart (3 pieces of slate are heavy and not easy to transport).  I thought we did great.  DH thought it should have gone for more.

I hope you get lucky, there's such a limited market for them that it takes a bit of luck when you sell it.

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »
I sell a lot of used goods ( did it for a living for a while) and because of the difficulty in moving something like a pool table you are not going to be able to ask as much, because most people are going to have to incur some costs with moving it.

I would think you should be very happy with 2500, and should be willing to accept anything over 1750 or you could be stuck with it for a long time.

Now if you can somehow offer delivery and setup, even if you have to pay for it, you will be MUCH more likely to sell it.

As always, the best way to do it is to post it on craigslist at a higher price and work your way down until it sells. Start at 2900 and take it down 100 bucks a week or something, depending on how quickly you are looking to get rid of it.

HAULIN3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Plant Strong!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 08:16:32 AM »
Yay!!! Sold!  Got $1800!!  I'm happy!

HAULIN3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Plant Strong!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2014, 08:17:26 AM »
with the money from this We'll be debt free (except for our house) by June 15th!

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2014, 12:43:13 PM »
Congratulations! 

The Money Monk

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 03:22:43 PM »
Yay!!! Sold!  Got $1800!!  I'm happy!

Awesome, congrats. Looks like my valuation was on target.

I'm gonna give myself a raise.