Author Topic: How much of a raise would you ask for?  (Read 2050 times)

Maya

• Bristles
How much of a raise would you ask for?
« on: November 13, 2018, 06:02:49 PM »
You're in management. Other managers make 40k more than you. You've done great work and saved the company a ton of money and streamlined processes in the last couple years.

Other managers work weekend and evenings and you refuse to and can still get your job done but not working quite as hard as others.

How much higher of a salary would you ask for?

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How much of a raise would you ask for?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 06:11:17 PM »
$40,000 more. Same work, same pay. The schedule is irrelevant.

I doubt they will grant it, but all you can do is ask. Then look for another job. That's a big gap.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 07:27:40 PM »
I would anchor my request on what salary.com says I'm worth.

Next questions are

(1) How did you get into this situation making so much less than other managers with presumably the exact same titles/duties/experience? Does this company actually appreciate you? Are they worth working for?

(2) Do you really want to work at a company where advancement is based on looking like you work long hours?

I'm just saying if you take a raise and stay another X years, the unemployment rate by that time might be very high. Then you don't have as many choices and your next advancement in the company will be a 7 day a week job where you still make less than your peers.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »
I would anchor my request on what salary.com says I'm worth.

If I did that I'd be making a lot less.  The higher up the ladder you go, the further away you get from the bell curve.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 09:40:45 PM »
I was in that situation.   I was promoted into a manager / director role based on my technical skills needed for the job.  BUT!  I was at least 10 years younger than the youngest person who normally held a position at that level.  They gave me a $20k promotion when I got the role, but it was still $40k under the other directors / the person I replaced.

A huge part of this was years of experience / longevity.... so no $40k... BUT!  I could and did ask for it.  AND I did get 15% raises  or other compensation for a few years as I "caught up".

On the flip side, they were very patient with me when my pregnancy turned into a health issue and I [very] under performed for about 4 months.   That "years of experience" and "loyalty" culture worked both ways, apparently.

Maya

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 08:07:18 PM »
Yeah they have 10 years less experience than other managers and a smaller department but it seems been a couple years without a raise so time to catch up a bit. And great progress has. Den made with the role. We'll wait and see.

Jen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 07:16:09 AM »
I've asked for and gotten 30% raises twice in my career (at two different companies), so here's my advice.  Yes, definitely ask.  First, do so in an incredibly positive manner.  I.e., "I love my job and working for this company, blah blah, but want to make sure I'm getting paid commensurate to my value."  In other words, the only issue you present is that you want to get paid what you are worth.  I wouldn't bring up other people, and I wouldn't say anything negative. 

Second, have this conversation separate from annual raise time.  Companies typically have a budget for annual raises, so if someone gets a larger than normal raise, it has to come from other employees.  But if you request this at another time, it comes from a different pot of money and all of a sudden, big things become possible. 

Oh, and yes, ask for a big raise as long as you think there is data out there to support it.  You don't even have to reference the data points necessarily; believe me, they know you are underpaid. 

Good luck and let us know!

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 07:50:11 AM »
In this case, I recommend asking for a "market rate adjustment" to bring you up to your peers' salary levels.

I'm wondering about the attitude of the boss you will request this with. If he/she values long hours and you have different values, then they may not see you as high performing as you see yourself. I'm 100% with you on performance>hours but I also recognize that many (most?) people think that long hours are inherently meritorious. It's puritanical, not logical. But it can't hurt to ask for the MRA and if it backfires, move to another company.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!