Author Topic: How much homeowner insurance annually?  (Read 1889 times)

LAL

• Stubble
How much homeowner insurance annually?
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:07:29 AM »
Having never owned a freestanding SFH how much is Homeowners insurance annually? Looking at estimates online at mortgage calculator and it seems high. But can people just throw out numbers.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: How much homeowner insurance annually?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:52:57 AM »
$1,000 annualy on a $600,000 home and property.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 02:13:01 AM »
It is REALLY going to depend on where you live.

I live in Houston, TX and prone to flooding, hurricanes and higher crime rates so even in an area that has never flooded, only had damage one time (Ike caused around $6K taking out our entire perimeter fence, some roof damage, water damage from roof damage in two rooms effecting carpet/floor/baseboards and some freestanding furniture).

House is currently worth according to the tax assessor's office around $130K, Insurance currently covers house replacement value as $150K, insured cost is for $1,300/year.
(they always insist on quoting a value to replace the house if it was completely destroyed down to the foundation, so rebuild/replace is going to be more than the purchase or tax basis of the property in my experience)

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:39:55 AM »
It will depend on your location, your credit, your specific house/size/materials, and your company. There are also sometimes discounts available if you bundle auto and homeowner's insurance.

Do you have any relatives with an account at USAA that could give you a referral to get into their system? I price our rates every year or two and they're always much less than any of the competitors. You don't have to be in the military yourself, just have a family connection to someone who was who has an account.