Author Topic: How much do you tip?  (Read 47026 times)

ritchie70

• Bristles
Re: How much do you tip?
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2014, 11:05:34 PM »
How did 18% or 20% become standard?

I've always heard 15% until the last maybe ten years and I'm not sure where that came from.

I guess I'm a bad tipper but I've usually done 15% then rounded up to the next dollar. Sometimes I add on a couple more dollars but I'm not thinking percentages at that point.

Years ago I tipped a Steak and Shake breakfast waitress 75% but that was around $5. I was a regular who had been put in someone else's section and got completely ignored. This other waitress recognized me and came and took care of me once she realized I had no eggs, no toast, and no coffee. (S & S breakfast was cheap!)

I did also give her a big discount on auto repair a month or two later, does that count as a tip?

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2014, 06:56:57 AM »
How did 18% or 20% become standard?

I've always heard 15% until the last maybe ten years and I'm not sure where that came from.

I guess I'm a bad tipper but I've usually done 15% then rounded up to the next dollar. Sometimes I add on a couple more dollars but I'm not thinking percentages at that point.

Years ago I tipped a Steak and Shake breakfast waitress 75% but that was around $5. I was a regular who had been put in someone else's section and got completely ignored. This other waitress recognized me and came and took care of me once she realized I had no eggs, no toast, and no coffee. (S & S breakfast was cheap!)

I did also give her a big discount on auto repair a month or two later, does that count as a tip?
It started being required by owners to tip out the bar, the busser and the host a certain amount of sales (not tips), it was no longer voluntary.  As that information started getting out to the public, many people started increasing their tips to cover that and still give the server 15%. 

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2014, 12:38:06 PM »
Right! If the owner or his family are the ones waiting on you, they usually consider being tipped as an insult (so order extra to make up for it)

Having owned both a restaurant and a catering company and spent many years in foodservice, I've never heard this before.  I never had someone not leave me a tip in the restaurant when I was waiting on them, but also would only actually take tables if we were really short staffed.  Certainly had it happen with catering jobs.  We also did a LOT of delivery and only a couple customers would tip either me or staff on deliveries, even when it was Thanksgiving or Christmas Day.  Always bugged the snot out of me, you won't tip my staff when they are bringing you an awesome high end meal to your second home that is multiple times the size of my only home, but you will tip the pizza guy at home?

Waitstaff put up with a huge amount of bs, our standard is 20%, we'll certainly leave more than that on a low check in a busy place.     

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2014, 01:14:31 PM »
Having owned both a restaurant and a catering company and spent many years in foodservice, I've never heard this before. \

This could also vary by type of restaurant: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/72569-tipping-in-chinese-restaurants/
I've been told similar things about not tipping in Chinese restaurants (or at least that the "regulars" don't).

More reason that if you do have to eat out, to go for (hopefully cheap and tasty) ethnic food :)

Pootie22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »
Waiters and Waitresses (and all other "tipped" employees) make $8.00 an hr here in California (and will go up to $9.00 in July) so I really don't feel bad if I tip 15%, it's usually around 18% and if I felt i was treated special then I'll do a max of 20%
Even then, I do hate the idea of tipping. If these employees need to make more money then then employer needs to build it into the price of the food. If this "discourages" waiters from being nice then fire the ones who suck and constantly get complaints, that's how all other businesses work.
I don't get tipped for creating an awesome spreadsheet for our clients and it doesn't discourage me from providing excellent service to our clients. If one of my co-workers constantly does a poor job then they get fired.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2014, 08:49:53 AM »
Waiters and Waitresses (and all other "tipped" employees) make $8.00 an hr here in California (and will go up to $9.00 in July) so I really don't feel bad if I tip 15%, it's usually around 18% and if I felt i was treated special then I'll do a max of 20%
Even then, I do hate the idea of tipping. If these employees need to make more money then then employer needs to build it into the price of the food. If this "discourages" waiters from being nice then fire the ones who suck and constantly get complaints, that's how all other businesses work.
I don't get tipped for creating an awesome spreadsheet for our clients and it doesn't discourage me from providing excellent service to our clients. If one of my co-workers constantly does a poor job then they get fired.
I've worked in retail and serving.  Trust me, I worked harder as a server and did more for the guest.  Trust me, your service would go down to average retail service if you got rid of tipping.  Yes, at the higher end restaurants you would still get better service (just as you do at higher end retail, like Nordstrom), but on the average you would be paying the same (tip would be included) for worse service.  There are restaurants that include 18% at required when you walk in the door.  They don't last long and the few that do, have amazing food.  The service, though, never worth 18% and this comes from someone who tips 20% on average.

Mae80s

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2014, 11:52:46 AM »
This definitely depends on where you're living.

I've lived in France, the US and now back in Canada.

US - Always 20%.

Canada - 10-15% It has to blow my mind to tip 20%. However wait staff here make minimum wage at $10/hour, not much, but it's not the "serving" wage that exists in many US states. When I lived there, I resented having to supplement someone's income (regardless of service) just because the owner can get way with paying such a ridiculously low wage.

France - never tipped as 18% was automatically included in the bill.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2014, 04:16:29 AM »
Having owned both a restaurant and a catering company and spent many years in foodservice, I've never heard this before. \

This could also vary by type of restaurant: http://forums.egullet.org/topic/72569-tipping-in-chinese-restaurants/
I've been told similar things about not tipping in Chinese restaurants (or at least that the "regulars" don't).

More reason that if you do have to eat out, to go for (hopefully cheap and tasty) ethnic food :)

My wife is Chinese, and she says this sounds like nonsense, probably BS propagated by some cheap SOB who is just looking for an excuse leave no tip and not look like a miser.

We both tip in Chinese restaurants the same as any other kind of restaurant.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2014, 04:03:04 PM »
Ok everyone ... how about Taxi's ???? I have had to take a few rides (since being pregnant) and have no idea if I should tip or not tip ... the ride isn't very expensive (max is $8)

What do you say?

Mercer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2014, 04:27:27 PM »
Am in Europe for work and have been eating dinner in the same hotel bar/restaurant for several weeks now.  When I first got here the wait staff was typically slow by American standards, I could be sitting there for five minutes without them coming by to offer a menu and take a drink order.  You have to be more aggressive over here and this can feel very unnatural and is about the last thing I want to deal with after a long day of work.  So based on past experience I started training the waiters.  I started tipping the standard american 15-20%, this is massive here, no matter the survive quality, I just wanted to teach them that I would tip well and to remember me.  Well about half a week after starting this the locals are as fast and friendly as any american waiter.  I get a menu and drink at my table very quickly now when I walk in.  It costs a bit more but is well worth it when you are tired and hungry.  Bonus; the locals are still as chill as ever about me just sitting there reading for half an hour after finishing the food, zero rush for me to leave no matter how busy.

How odd is tipping here: when I sign the check and charge it to the room there is no place to add a tip, I have to leave cash.

But in the states I normally tip 20% on the rare occasions we eat out.  Maybe more if I have had a few and cant do the math correctly :-)
"Europe" is a pretty big place: what approach to service and approach to tipping is like will obviously vary massively between countries!

In Britain, 15% or so is pretty normal, I think. Certainly I tip around that, depending on service etc. The idea that you need a fixed tip regardless of service because they're so underpaid... don't think I've seen that here.

In my experience of going to restaurants, I also find that places get friendlier and more helpful when you go there more often: you just stand out more. It may not be the money that's having the effect! Though obviously if you're somewhere where they usually get no tip, being randomly given chunks of money is likely to keep people sweet.

kaetana

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »
It's too complicated for me to try and keep track of different tipping customs when I travel, so I pretty much stick to my standard of starting tips at $0 and working my way up for good service. Just okay service gets $0. Bad service gets a complaint to a manager. But good service can go up to 100% of the value of the service and frequently involves taking the manager aside to praise the staff. I've only left a 100% once, though.

I also HATE when I pay a bill, say at a restaurant, and the change isn't given back to me - usually because the server just assumes that's what I'm paying as a tip. Even if I that was my intention, I think I should be asked! When that happens, I make a point of asking for the change, leaving no tip, and informing the manager.

I do live in Australia, though, where tipping isn't expected.

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: April 08, 2014, 10:18:23 PM »
20% - almost always.  I suppose if service was awful maybe 15.

It is my personal belief that this is not where to save money. If you don't want to tip this much then don't go out! Seriously.  I would rather go out less than tip a lower amount to try to save money for myself.  I consider the tip part of the cost of going out - and if it's too much then I don't go.

You're affecting individuals here.  And that's a big deal.  It's not the same as buying at Costco and saving a few bucks.  Do the right thing.

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2014, 08:15:05 AM »
I absolutely hate tipping as a thing. I don't understand why we need it. Why cant we just pay the waitstaff a reasonable wage and change the prices to reflect what it would have cost with a tip? Is it really that difficult?

That is another great thing about living in TW, tipping is not really a thing here. There may be some tip jars in starbucks or something, but I never go there. I love just buying/ordering what I want and paying the price stated and not having to add anything extra.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 10, 2014, 09:56:36 AM »
I absolutely hate tipping as a thing. I don't understand why we need it. Why cant we just pay the waitstaff a reasonable wage and change the prices to reflect what it would have cost with a tip? Is it really that difficult?

That is another great thing about living in TW, tipping is not really a thing here. There may be some tip jars in starbucks or something, but I never go there. I love just buying/ordering what I want and paying the price stated and not having to add anything extra.

In a lot of countries, people will just look at you like you are nuts if you leave a tip.

This is an area where the USA is stuck in an archaic, inefficient, and annoying system.  I wish we'd get rid of it.  It's so nice to order a dinner in Germany (or other civilized country that doesn't use the idiotic "tipping" system) and just pay the cost on the ticket, without having to fuss over 15%, 20%, whether it's okay to put the tip on the credit card, and all the other nonsense Americans put up with.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: April 10, 2014, 10:07:38 AM »
I tip over 20%. I take the before-tax bill, move the decimal to the left, double it, and round up. The rounding pushes it into the 20%-25% range.

I am of the general mindset of MMM -- you don't go to restaurants primarily for sustenance. You go for an experience, which involves good company and food you'd be unlikely or unable to make at home yourself. For me, being a generous tipper and all the good karma that accompanies it is part of that experience.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 10, 2014, 12:54:47 PM »
Food, 20%; drinks, the greater of $1 or 20%. I usually round to the nearest dollar.

lb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #116 on: April 10, 2014, 01:07:58 PM »
As a former coffee shop girl, the nice minimum thing to do is leave whatever change (coins) you get back in the tip jar. It always amazed me that people would pocket the dime and three pennies or whatever I gave them back in change along with their bills. That change made a huge difference to me as it added up all day but I doubt it made much difference to the individuals. If you really want to be nice, a dollar for coffee service is great. I was making minimum wage at the time and the extra I got in tips made a huge difference.

At a bar, the general rule is a dollar a drink. Did you order a round of 4 cocktails for your friends? Lay down $4. At a restaurant, move the decimal point two places, double it, and round to an easy amount. For take out, include a dollar or two.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #117 on: April 10, 2014, 01:46:12 PM »
I agree with a few others ... service jobs should have the tip included in the bills ... I hate the tip idea ... Pay the employees a fair wage for the work they do and be done with it.

MinimalistMoustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: April 10, 2014, 07:17:21 PM »
I learned from my father to begin a tip at 20% and have done this for many, many years.
Still unsure why he was FI early on, but not me.

(Nah, I know why . . and I can't blame it on tipping :-)

ASquared

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2014, 09:15:42 AM »
I agree with a few others ... service jobs should have the tip included in the bills ... I hate the tip idea ... Pay the employees a fair wage for the work they do and be done with it.

That's a really nice thought, and idealistically I don't disagree at all.  But unfortunately in the US the situation isn't changing anytime soon.  What I'm saying is don't punish the individual server for a system issue that they have no control over.

smithy777

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2014, 04:43:18 PM »
This topic greatly angers me. I hate tipping so much that I consistently avoid places where I have to do it. I hate spending a week's worth of grocery money on a single night just to be able to have a sit down meal and a drink with my wife.

I think that any "tipping" that is expected should instead be rolled into the cost of the service before that service is rendered so that consumers can make the best choices (this has been mentioned here many times).

I think that empathy and the idea that it is "our responsibility to make sure the wait staff gets paid a livable wage" is EXACTLY what has drove us to the horrible situation we have today, and continues to drive the "standard" tip rate higher and higher. Unfortunately that is the view of most of the people in this topic. Its no wonder the US tipping system is so out of control.

Now don't misunderstand me: I totally believe that the wait staff should make a livable wage -- just not that it is the customer's responsibility to make sure that happens on a meal-to-meal basis. It is the responsibility of the worker, and the business owner if the owner wants to have skilled servers. The power of the market will take care of the rest. For example, consider if everyone in the US suddenly stopped tipping: wait staff would naturally move to restaurants that payed higher wages. In turn, if restaurants wanted the best service people in order to attract more/better consumers, they would have to pay more to the wait staff. And as workers, the wait staff should choose jobs that pay them an appropriate amount, and don't take jobs that don't. This would produce more certainty/consistency in weekly pay and transparency in the cost of the service. If a wait staff job does not provide enough money, then go to college and get a different job.

Why is this SUCH A BIG DEAL for wait staff? What about the grocery store? Do you tip the cashier for helping you pay for your groceries? Do you tip the workers for stocking the shelves? Do you tip the truck drivers for delivering the groceries to the store? No, you don't, because that is all part of running the business. As it should be part of running the restaurant -- it is total nonsense to separately tip the wait staff. And the only reason it continues is because the social pressure to tip (no one wants to be labeled as cheap or as a jackass) is preventing the market from smoothing everything out and allowing restaurant owners to get away with paying low wages.

I know that the social pressures involved are much too large for this to fix itself anytime soon, and I don't expect my opinions to elicit positive responses. Just as with anything we buy, we are supporting the broken tipping system by visiting places where tipping is the norm. Just as I don't own a car and don't eat meat/dairy, I'll happily continue avoiding services that require tips.

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2014, 09:21:18 PM »

I think that any "tipping" that is expected should instead be rolled into the cost of the service before that service is rendered so that consumers can make the best choices (this has been mentioned here many times).

What, then, would be the difference between a meal that costs $60 and a tip of $9 is deemed appropriate and a meal that costs $69 up front?

For example, consider if everyone in the US suddenly stopped tipping: wait staff would naturally move to restaurants that payed higher wages.

You do realize that the "restaurants" that pay more are McDonalds and Burger King?

Why is this SUCH A BIG DEAL for wait staff? What about the grocery store? Do you tip the cashier for helping you pay for your groceries? Do you tip the workers for stocking the shelves? Do you tip the truck drivers for delivering the groceries to the store?

Truckers are generally paid more per hour than wait staff.  Ditto for stockers

curlycue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2014, 09:25:47 PM »
20% is the norm for the U.S. If you can't afford that, order cheaper food or go to a cheaper restaurant and pay 20%. I'm always amazed at the people who "save money" by tipping less. Having worked in food service the only reason to tip less than that is poor service. If you can't afford it then you can't afford to eat out.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »
20% is the norm for the U.S. If you can't afford that, order cheaper food or go to a cheaper restaurant and pay 20%. I'm always amazed at the people who "save money" by tipping less. Having worked in food service the only reason to tip less than that is poor service. If you can't afford it then you can't afford to eat out.
But when did it become 20% instead of 15%?  (I don't eat out often, and don't get me wrong, I generally do 20% because the math is easier).

I live in California where the servers get minimum wage.

SJS

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2014, 08:33:31 PM »
When eating out I always tip around 20%, but no minimum.  If the service is really bad, then anything goes... down to 0%.

Ditto.  If the service is good (server is friendly, efficient, no overly intrusive) I have no problem tipping 20% or even a bit more.  BUT.......if the service stinks, I have no problem not tipping very little, or if warranted,not at all.  I don't feel I'm OBLIGATED to tip - I feel that if this is their job, they had better be on their toes to provide great service in order to make a good tip.  It's not a given with me, sorry. 

Jags4186

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2014, 08:41:16 PM »
I tip 18% on the pre-tax amount.  If there service is really bad I drop from there.  I never drop for food quality...that's a complaint for the manager.  If I have to ask multiple times for the same thing wait forever for check etc.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:51:18 PM by Jags4186 »

castead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »
I tip 20% standard on total bill (which includes tipping on tax). Often a lot more and always a minimum of at least $4-5. If I have to order something under $20 I typically wouldn't sit down at a restaurant and have someone serve me. I would call ahead and get it to go and eat in my car/home/work. I find it very hard to tip less, but if you are awful at your job or rude, I will. I doubt that I have ever tipped less than 10%. Have never encountered such terrible service and tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I know where owners of restaurants who want to pool tips for everyone are coming from but I don't agree. First let me say I think minimum wage is a joke, and wage for waiters is even worse. Everyone in a supposedly rich country such as this one should be able to make a living wage if they are working the standard 40 hours/week. Restaurants aren't always busy, so a lot of times waiters are only making 2+ hour and that's it. So sometimes you have a good day/night and sometimes you don't, over time it evens out pretty closely to cooks or other employees. I don't agree that a dishwasher should make the same as a waiter, and I do not agree that a server or even a dishwasher should be making $7.25/hour.

If people don't want to tip at least 15-20% then they should not be eating out. You cannot afford to eat out! It would be wonderful if our minimum wage was like Australia's, but it's not. Being frugal does not mean being cheap. If you truly want to be frugal, stay home instead of making the people who SERVE you pay for your cheapness.

lazysundays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2014, 08:57:02 PM »
I do 2 times tax, and round up to the next dollar.

Oh and $15 haircuts get $10 tip. Dog's $55 haircut also gets $10 tip.