Author Topic: How much do you tip?  (Read 47027 times)

Guizmo

• Bristles
Re: How much do you tip?
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2014, 09:14:52 PM »

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2014, 08:31:23 AM »

Serving is not a thankless job, not any more than any other minimum wage job. It isn't any harder than kitchen work or janitorial or stocking shelves.  It isn't a skilled job either unless you are working a very swank place with very particular rules of presentation. Their workplace is responsible for their wage.
Having done both at various times, I have to disagree.  Janitorial work is simple; you don't have any abusive,  loud-mouthed know-it-alls in your face.  Every trade has its good and not so good as far as the skill set goes.  A good waiter is skilled at suggestive selling; selling is a skill most won't learn.  If you're sitting at their table, you are their workplace.  If your kids make a mess, you should be tipping 20%

I have a good friend who has worked overnight janitorial for 5+ years. Abuse doesn't always come from the potential tippers, it often comes from the management and there's no-one else around to take pity and improve the employee's shift with a cash reward. And that's a trap of many minimum wage jobs, the boss can treat you bad no matter how well you do and there's no hope of ever getting a tip from a customer. But like you say, it is situational and experience-based, and not to start a huge side debate, but it's also racially motivated in many cases. Servers can be skilled, but it isn't on the whole a skilled occupation. And I have never heard it referred to as a trade. That's reaching a lot, unless you can point me toward the Server's Guild.
 And FWIW, we rarely go out to eat at a restaurant and if we do with the kids, I clean up before the server gets a chance. But I can't wipe everything down, hence the extra %. Don't tell me what I should tip. It's up to me as a customer. The server's don't get to set their own "fees" to bring me food they didn't prepare and silverware they didn't wash. And they don't get to discriminate against my children by telling me to tip more when I bring them. I'm not in their workplace, they're working in the place I choose to eat. Without the customer, the server has no job. Who is working for who here?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2014, 08:38:46 AM »
I tip more based on the service than the final check total.  If its an order at the counter deal usually a buck per entree ordered.  One place we occasionally eat is a buffet lunch so the server only brings drinks so I tip less.  If I have good service but get a cheap lunch like the $7 soup and salad deal, I might tip $3.  15% would only be about a buck. 

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2014, 08:49:10 AM »
Tip?  You don't need to if you don't go out! 
But, more seriously - depends where I go; when I do. 
In NZ and OZ - NO TIPS EVER.

In Canada - whatever the tax is (~15%).  If the food is bad but service good - no tip penalty.  If the service is bad (independent of food quality) I am pretty harsh on the tip reduction - othewise, what is the incentive to up your game?  If the food is excellent - I'll ask the waitstaff to compliment the chef.  Having been a chef - this is pretty special to hear.

In USA...kinda complicated.  Can someone explain tipped vs non-tipped wages?  Looking here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States am I reading correctly that in some states the tip/non-tip wage is the same?  Would this mean someone working hospitality gets $9.19 PLUS tips?  vs say, Texas at $2.13 PLUS tips?  This seems very strange to me...and I may have to develop a complicated matrix of tip dependency based on restaurant location...lol

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »

Serving is not a thankless job, not any more than any other minimum wage job. It isn't any harder than kitchen work or janitorial or stocking shelves.  It isn't a skilled job either unless you are working a very swank place with very particular rules of presentation. Their workplace is responsible for their wage.
Having done both at various times, I have to disagree.  Janitorial work is simple; you don't have any abusive,  loud-mouthed know-it-alls in your face.  Every trade has its good and not so good as far as the skill set goes.  A good waiter is skilled at suggestive selling; selling is a skill most won't learn.  If you're sitting at their table, you are their workplace.  If your kids make a mess, you should be tipping 20%

I have a good friend who has worked overnight janitorial for 5+ years. Abuse doesn't always come from the potential tippers, it often comes from the management and there's no-one else around to take pity and improve the employee's shift with a cash reward. And that's a trap of many minimum wage jobs, the boss can treat you bad no matter how well you do and there's no hope of ever getting a tip from a customer. But like you say, it is situational and experience-based, and not to start a huge side debate, but it's also racially motivated in many cases.

I think this boils down to "there are some assholes everywhere." 

Where I work the janitor often sits with us at lunch and has even gone out with the group for lunch.  He'll come sit in your office and shoot the shit with you.  And this is an elderly black gentleman in a mostly white office in a deep south town that has a pretty decent history of bad racial relations.   

I'm not trying to say we're all saints ... just that there's a pretty wide variance of how folks treat each other. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2014, 11:24:48 AM »
Tip?  You don't need to if you don't go out! 
But, more seriously - depends where I go; when I do. 
In NZ and OZ - NO TIPS EVER.

In Canada - whatever the tax is (~15%).  If the food is bad but service good - no tip penalty.  If the service is bad (independent of food quality) I am pretty harsh on the tip reduction - othewise, what is the incentive to up your game?  If the food is excellent - I'll ask the waitstaff to compliment the chef.  Having been a chef - this is pretty special to hear.

In USA...kinda complicated.  Can someone explain tipped vs non-tipped wages?  Looking here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage_in_the_United_States am I reading correctly that in some states the tip/non-tip wage is the same?  Would this mean someone working hospitality gets $9.19 PLUS tips?  vs say, Texas at $2.13 PLUS tips?  This seems very strange to me...and I may have to develop a complicated matrix of tip dependency based on restaurant location...lol

Your understanding is correct.

But the 2.13 plus tips is supposed to also earn minimum wage even if no tips... It's just that you are unlikely to keep your job if you get so few tips your employer has to make up the difference. 

I feel bad about the matrix but at some point it just makes sense.  Say we go to a More European system where servers earn a living wage.  Can I just stop tipping? 

minimalist

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »
This might be a little extreme, but I tip 30% if the service was outstanding, 0% otherwise.

We're in MN, though, where waitress minimum wage is $7.25 like anywhere else.

It is pretty extreme to tip 0% unless they did something wrong. MN minimum wage for tipped employees is $5.25 for a small employer and $6.15 for a large employer (source: http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm#Minnesota).

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2014, 11:34:25 AM »

I feel bad about the matrix but at some point it just makes sense.  Say we go to a More European system where servers earn a living wage.  Can I just stop tipping?

That was going to be my next point...for folks that earn a high base rate (i.e. WA).. is it equitable that they be tipped and some guy working minimum wage (in a non-tip environment) isn't?  hmm...

Miss Growing Green

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »
18-25% for good service.  Towards the higher end of that range if we order a small amount (i.e. split an entree and didn't get drinks)
15% for bad service
10% for absolutely terrible service and rude servers.

jawisco

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »
My standard is $1 per drinks at bar, $1 per couple of drinks at coffee shop, minimum $3 tip at restaurant if small bill.   

For regular meals, I tip 15% as a baseline and then move up to 20-25% for better service.  A couple of times in my life, I have left a 10% tip when service was horrible.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2014, 02:24:39 PM »
I'm in the 15-20% range depending on service.  I've been lower on really bad service, higher on better service.

coconutpop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2014, 02:53:21 PM »
I usually tip 20-25%. I have been a waiter for sometime. I have to report tips on my taxes. When someone tip less than 15%, waiter lose money from their own pocket in taxes. At least in my area.

I rarely go in restaurants tho. I can make my groceries for free at my local organic store. In exchange for some services. 

SofiaBourbon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2014, 02:57:44 PM »
20%  - 25 %

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2014, 02:58:44 PM »
I used to wait tables part-time 2-3 nights a week, in addition to my full time job.  If I was making ANYTHING close to minimum wage, I'd never have done it.  I was doing it to make as much money as fast as I could to get out of debt and into a good place with my savings.

If all wait staff made was minimum wage, you can bet some of the "best" in the industry wouldn't be doing that job!  You can make really good money (though without benefits) waiting tables in a high-end restaurant, but to get that job (and keep it) you have to be really good at what you do.  Per hour, I consistently made more than I do at my day job.  But it wasn't an 8-hour-a-day job.  It was only great money being that it was in addition to my day job. 

Kinda sorry if this sounds snippy, but who are any of you to decide what someone "deserves" to earn?  My time is worth what I can get someone to pay me for it, and if someone was a "known" crappy tipper, I'd be going out of my way to avoid taking their table.  Why sell my time to your table if I can get 30% more at table 203?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »
who are any of you to decide what someone "deserves" to earn

The person paying those earnings out of my wallet.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
If eating out where I get table service, I usually tip 20%... it's easy to figure.  I've never had bad service that wasn't accommodated for by the server in some way, free drink or something.  When my kid was younger and messy I'd tip more, I hate leaving a big mess.

I also make sure people I'm with tip enough.  If they don't I make up the difference and point it out to them.  People can get weird when they eat out, like they're entitled.  If I eat at a counter service place I tip at least $1, more if my order is large or complex. 

Regardless I usually round up.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2014, 03:08:30 PM »

And your waiter is the one choosing whether or not to sell you their services.  At least where I worked, we had the option to decline to take a table if we didn't want it.

garth

• Stubble
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2014, 03:09:13 PM »
Another interesting question is, what should you tip on a bottle of wine? Let's say you typically tip 20% the cost of a meal. What if you ordered a $100 bottle of wine? Do you pay $20 on top of food? Keep in mind, if you had ordered a $30 bottle, you'd get the same "wine service" for only $6 on top of food.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2014, 03:11:08 PM »

And your waiter is the one choosing whether or not to sell you their services.  At least where I worked, we had the option to decline to take a table if we didn't want it.

Is it cause I'm black?  Good luck with that.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 03:12:33 PM »
Another interesting question is, what should you tip on a bottle of wine? Let's say you typically tip 20% the cost of a meal. What if you ordered a $100 bottle of wine? Do you pay $20 on top of food? Keep in mind, if you had ordered a $30 bottle, you'd get the same "wine service" for only $6 on top of food.

Plus what the hell is a corking fee? Why should I be charged extra for opening a bottle? Does this have to do with liquor laws, or are they just sticking it to us? Not that I drink wine at restaurants much.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2014, 03:22:57 PM »

Plus what the hell is a corking fee? Why should I be charged extra for opening a bottle? Does this have to do with liquor laws, or are they just sticking it to us? Not that I drink wine at restaurants much.

It's to cover the glasses, washing, breakage, extra work pouring, etc.  Oh and to "encourage" you to just buy a bottle from them.

Not every restaurant charges corkage so I doubt it's a liquor law thing.  In fact, the restaurants that don't charge corkage tend to be new places that haven't yet obtained their liquor license.

MustachianAccountant

• Bristles
« Reply #71 on: February 13, 2014, 09:07:18 AM »
Pizza Delivery Guy: $3 base, goes up depending on how far you are from the store or the weather. Unless we order more than 4 pizzas, then the tip would start at $5.
Usually 20% at restaurants.

mjb

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2014, 12:21:44 PM »
Always ~25% on the total bill. If service was truly bad (maybe once every five years), then it's 15%.

I've dated a lot of ex-bartenders and ex-waitresses, and my first job was delivering pizza, so I'm sympathetic...

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »
I generally tip ~19.5% (move the decimal point, double it, and I usually round down to the nearest dollar).  But I usually have a $4-$5 minimum tip, unless it's take-out, and then it's usually $1-$2 (for a single meal, to go).  Pizza guy generally $4-$5, and that's for 1-2 pizzas.

If I thought the service poor, I might go somewhere between 10-15%, depending how bad I thought it was.  I've also left one tip that was about equal to the price of my meal, and that was for FANTASTIC service.  I wish that guy could be my personal waiter!

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2014, 01:13:27 PM »
I always tip 20% unless the service is horrible & then 10%. I also do a minimum if the food is cheap  ($3.00) because I am keeping the table tied up.  Also I tip more if I meet with a friend and we visit for a long time. 

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2014, 01:38:21 PM »
Also I tip more if I meet with a friend and we visit for a long time.

Oh how I would have wished for more patrons like you!  For one thing, it can mean not getting assigned any more tables, even if the visiting table is not wanting to order any more, and for another, I had SEVERAL nights where I had to wait until 1 am because of a table that just. wouldn't. leave. (and I was responsible for bussing, even if they'd already paid).  Sucks a lot when you have to be at your "real" job at 8 am the following morning.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2014, 01:58:50 PM »
That's terrible that the people would not leave that late at nite.  I used to meet a friend every 2 weeks at this place that had really cheap senior specials-$4-6.00 for a full good meal.  We would also sit & talk for a couple of hours & they would fill our water alot, etc. I would always tip more then my meal but my friend would just do 20% which I did not think is right considering the circumstances.  I have never worked in that business but one of my son's did for a long time so I know how it is. If I could not afford a good tip I would stay home. 

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2014, 11:53:50 PM »
Where did this "20%" bit come from?

I've been tipping 15% for decades.

Given that food prices have kept pace with inflation, and therefore the dollar amount of a 15% tip has gone up, I don't see why the percentage should change.

The tipping system, in general, is idiotic.  We should just ditch "tipping" and roll the cost of the wait staff into the meal like they do in civilized countries.  Far less hassle.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2014, 03:27:29 AM »
Where did this "20%" bit come from?

I've been tipping 15% for decades.

Given that food prices have kept pace with inflation, and therefore the dollar amount of a 15% tip has gone up, I don't see why the percentage should change.

The tipping system, in general, is idiotic.  We should just ditch "tipping" and roll the cost of the wait staff into the meal like they do in civilized countries.  Far less hassle.

I'm not sure that food prices have kept up with wage inflation. 

killingxspree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2014, 05:02:53 AM »
I'm Australian (practically no tipping culture here) anyway, I was wondering...
do you have to tip when you get takeaway?
how cheap is eating out? For example how much is a good teriyaki chicken bento box (miso, rice, salad, fruit) at a decent joint. Not at a up class dress code sort of place but not at an omg is this place sanitary? (but it has rave reviews) sort of place. (here it ranges from about $12 to $18)
What are the repercussions if you don't tip? Can they refuse service the next time you visit?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2014, 05:07:48 AM »
how cheap is eating out? For example how much is a good teriyaki chicken bento box (miso, rice, salad, fruit) at a decent joint. Not at a up class dress code sort of place but not at an omg is this place sanitary? (but it has rave reviews) sort of place. (here it ranges from about $12 to $18)
What are the repercussions if you don't tip? Can they refuse service the next time you visit?

We'll have to find some common ground before we can compare, and I while I'm sure it's possible to find a bento box at a restaurant in the US, I've never seen one. It's certainly not the sort of thing where we could choose the level of the restaurant like that.

Do you have/eat at Italian/Chinese/Mexican/Thai restaurants -- are they common? Steak? Tst last is mostly higher end, though.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2014, 05:26:18 AM »

We'll have to find some common ground before we can compare, and I while I'm sure it's possible to find a bento box at a restaurant in the US, I've never seen one. It's certainly not the sort of thing where we could choose the level of the restaurant like that.

Do you have/eat at Italian/Chinese/Mexican/Thai restaurants -- are they common? Steak? Tst last is mostly higher end, though.

Bento box in SF - $8 (counter service) to $15 (sit-down w/ waiter).

I wouldn't tip at the counter, but I think 0%-10% is reasonable for take-away from the $15 restaurant (I'd probably average around 5% but I almost never do takeout so it's hard to say).

No consequences if you don't tip at the counter.  The only times I've ever not tipped for sit down service, the experience was so horrible I never went back anyways.  I wouldn't recommend consistently not tipping the same server (they could possibly refuse to serve you, spit in your food, give you extra bad service, etc... not sure how likely any of those things are but those are the possibilities... most likely you'd just get dirty looks).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 05:32:00 AM by dragoncar »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2014, 06:47:57 AM »

Bento box in SF - $8 (counter service) to $15 (sit-down w/ waiter).

...Which goes to show both the wide variance in this country and how long it's been since I was in SF!

On the takeout, I generally don't tip (in my usual owner's child scenario) or small tip of a dollar or two the once or twice  I've gotten a takeout lunch while at work. School cafeteria = no tip, though (no waitstaff, either).

As for consequences, there aren't any, really, except one's own inner knowledge that one has been an ass. There are rumors of servers spitting in food, but I doubt them. Sort of.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2014, 07:11:50 AM »

Yes, this.

Not that I'm a bad tipper or anything.  I generally don't tip at places where you order at the counter - that's a "new" thing to me (never happened until I hit about 30), and I live in California where minimum wage is pretty high.

At restaurants, I'm a decent tipper.

But - you know, MY job at my day job is to get paid what I am worth.  What I am worth is determined by what employers are willing to pay me, my own ability to negotiate, and my willingness to change jobs (and my interest in balancing family life/ flexibility with money).

I see a server's job as the same.  If you give bad service to me, then it is ABSOLUTELY my job to decide what you earn to serve my table.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2014, 08:12:04 AM »

Yes, this.

Not that I'm a bad tipper or anything.  I generally don't tip at places where you order at the counter - that's a "new" thing to me (never happened until I hit about 30), and I live in California where minimum wage is pretty high.

At restaurants, I'm a decent tipper.

But - you know, MY job at my day job is to get paid what I am worth.  What I am worth is determined by what employers are willing to pay me, my own ability to negotiate, and my willingness to change jobs (and my interest in balancing family life/ flexibility with money).

I see a server's job as the same.  If you give bad service to me, then it is ABSOLUTELY my job to decide what you earn to serve my table.

You're right, but that's not what I was referring to.  It was the attitude earlier in the thread that servers "deserve" no better than minimum wage, and that they blow all their tips on chain smoking and hair scrunchies.  Mentally capping the earning potential of an entire profession regardless of place of employment, skill level, etc.

It's really one of those professions you can be content with low earnings and never do anything about it, or show ambition, skill, and drive, and really jack up your earning potential.  Podunksville town lawyer writing wills and the occasional divorce vs high-priced corporate laywer.  Corner hooker vs high-priced escort.  Same thing in waiting tables, you can rot away at the greasy spoon diner, taking home 8 bucks an hour, or if you're good, and ambitious, move up to a classy fast-paced restaurant where you're averaging over $30 an hour.

stevesteve

« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2014, 08:16:28 AM »
This thread reinforces the reason I hate that tipping is basically mandatory in the U.S.  In about 80% of cases my services is just about the same.  In 10% of cases it's great (where I would tip happily) and in 10% of cases I'd like to pay the person less than an average tip.  When things are like that there's basically no reason it shouldn't be priced into the meal.  I just really hate the idea that I should in any way be guilted for not tipping.  If it's something that should be mandatory then make it mandatory.

I usually tip 20% at restaurants.  At really cheap places with great service I tend to tip more.  The only other thing I tip regularly for is hair cuts.  I never get delivery in part because I don't want to feel that I should have to tip someone despite just about all delivery service being the same in my experience.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2014, 08:39:04 AM »
This thread reinforces the reason I hate that tipping is basically mandatory in the U.S.  In about 80% of cases my services is just about the same.  In 10% of cases it's great (where I would tip happily) and in 10% of cases I'd like to pay the person less than an average tip.  When things are like that there's basically no reason it shouldn't be priced into the meal.  I just really hate the idea that I should in any way be guilted for not tipping.  If it's something that should be mandatory then make it mandatory.

I usually tip 20% at restaurants.  At really cheap places with great service I tend to tip more.  The only other thing I tip regularly for is hair cuts.  I never get delivery in part because I don't want to feel that I should have to tip someone despite just about all delivery service being the same in my experience.

Ah haircuts.  I get $7 haircuts.  What do you think I should tip?  I usually just tip the $3 that adds up to $10 because honestly I don't know how they pay their rent.  Maybe they already own the building or it's a front.  How much would you tip?

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2014, 08:44:23 AM »
I usually tip $5 for a $15-$18 haircut at cost cutters.  I have long hair, and only go 2-3 times a year, though.

I suppose if I were getting something long & involved done, I'd tip more, as I'm taking up more of their time, but for just a trim, they're spending maybe 10 minutes on me.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2014, 08:44:24 AM »

Ah haircuts.  I get $7 haircuts.  What do you think I should tip?  I usually just tip the $3 that adds up to $10 because honestly I don't know how they pay their rent.  Maybe they already own the building or it's a front.  How much would you tip?

I give my hair cutter 50% of all my earnings.   ...but I live in a community property state.  ;)

stevesteve

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »

I tip $2 on my haircuts which range from $9 to $15.  It's just the smallest thank you I can give and a reminder for them not to remember me as the guy who didn't tip and screw up my hair next time.  I generally tip out of fear and not appreciation at hair places.

Drew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »
I usually tip about 18% for average service.  If service is really good I will tip around 25%.  For poor service it will obviously be lower, possibly even 0% for very lousy service.  If I were FI I would tip even more for outstanding service just because giving makes me happy, especially when I know it is going to someone who works hard and appreciates it.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2014, 02:37:33 PM »
Minimum wage for servers is not the $8 mentioned in your excerpt.  It is more like $2.50, which is why they get the tips.
  Waitstaff has two functions: (1) they are your temporary employee, they are there to take care of you, and that is why you tip them.(2) They are also commissioned salespeople. They are there to upgrade you from water and the blue plate special.  A higher ticket price generally means a higher tip

It's actually worse than that.  They then tip-out... giving a predetermined amount to the busboys, kitchen and god-knows who.

I tip 20% as a norm... slightly more if something is awesome.  It looks like a thankless, hard job.
I used to tip out the host, the bar and the busser.  That amounted to about 5-6% of sales.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2014, 02:50:34 PM »
I usually tip about 18% for average service.  If service is really good I will tip around 25%.  For poor service it will obviously be lower, possibly even 0% for very lousy service.  If I were FI I would tip even more for outstanding service just because giving makes me happy, especially when I know it is going to someone who works hard and appreciates it.

Seriously, 18%? Are you the type of guy who pulls out a calculator to determine the tip?

I usually tip 15% for normal service, 20% for excellent. I've only ever tipped more than 20% when the total bill was small (what a cheapskate).

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »
Generally, my boyfriend and I don't tip. If the service is spectacular, maybe, but it never is. We refuse to participate in the nonsense that is north american tipping culture.

We live in Canada, so servers don't make $2/hr. I think the minimum wage for servers is around $10/hr, which is plenty.

I think the whole concept is ridiculous. I've worked various minimum wage jobs that were a hell of a lot harder than serving, like hand weeding a field on an organic farm and unloading trailers in warehouses. My boyfriend has worked as a cashier in grocery stores, and cleaning up stadiums after concerts. For some arbitrary reason, society has decided that those things are not tipped, and other things are.

Basically, it comes down to: it's your boss's job to pay you, not mine. I won't pay you just to do your job.

spoonman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2014, 04:46:12 PM »
20%, because it's so darn easy to calculate.

medeforest

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • VIP Hypnotherapy
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2014, 06:13:52 PM »
Going to a restaurant is a special event, so it's time to give the waitstaff their due.  They can't control my frugal ways.  I order the most labor intensive items and drink water.

If the food is typically served with soda, I will tip as though I had a soda.
If the food is typically served with alcohol, I'll tip as though I had alcohol.

Drew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2014, 06:29:50 PM »

Seriously, 18%? Are you the type of guy who pulls out a calculator to determine the tip?

I usually tip 15% for normal service, 20% for excellent. I've only ever tipped more than 20% when the total bill was small (what a cheapskate).

I've just always heard 18% is good etiquette for normal service.  Of course some say more, some say less.  Never really had a problem quickly estimating 18% in my head.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2014, 06:50:35 PM »
I have been guilty of cheap tipping in the past and had to sternly make myself stop being such a tightwad!

I tip more based on entree and service than price, but it usually ends up being between 15-45% (45% makes me look super generous, but it's my frugal choices that distort the picture.)

I rarely eat out, but when I do it's often at a little Mexican restaurant nearby.  Service is always great.  The food is amazing.  I drink water and have a $6-7 entree and tip $3. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2014, 09:32:26 PM »
Going to a restaurant is a special event, so it's time to give the waitstaff their due.  They can't control my frugal ways.  I order the most labor intensive items and drink water.

If the food is typically served with soda, I will tip as though I had a soda.
If the food is typically served with alcohol, I'll tip as though I had alcohol.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.  Which items are labor intensive?  Scavenged mushrooms???

Which foods are "typically served with soda" and which are "typically served with alcohol?"  For alcohol, I'm thinking like tater-tot nachos and chili fries?

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2014, 10:58:20 PM »
I tip $2 on my haircuts which range from $9 to $15.  It's just the smallest thank you I can give and a reminder for them not to remember me as the guy who didn't tip and screw up my hair next time.  I generally tip out of fear and not appreciation at hair places.

I usually go to a place whose list price is $17 but they always have coupons that take $3 off out there in ValPak or whatever. It is a chain place, so employees mostly don't stay long and quality varies a bit.

If I'm happy, I hand them a $20 and the coupon and tell them to keep the change. Happy for me really just requires fast and fairly short.

If it's adequate but I'm not really that happy - they took forever and/or it just feels like it's probably not right (but maybe I'm just done with sitting there letting them mess around with my hair) then I give them $3.

Once or twice I didn't tip at all because it was just such a hideous experience in ways that were completely related to the person doing the work.