Author Topic: How much do you tip your hairdresser?  (Read 14323 times)

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
How much do you tip your hairdresser?
« on: January 17, 2017, 10:56:26 AM »
I live in a very HCOL area and recently had my very short hair colored to the tune of $75.  Ouch.  And this is a mid-range salon.  I've heard that 20% is the going tipping rate, but that just feels like too much.  Am wondering what others in this situation are tipping.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
Re: How much do you tip your hairdresser?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 10:57:45 AM »
I sleep with her.
sorry - moving on...

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 11:04:54 AM »
I tip 20%.  I figure an appropriate tip is part of the cost of the service and I can find a cheaper way if I want without shorting the stylist.

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 11:08:29 AM »
20%

I live in an Atlanta suburb. Typical haircuts cost around $50-60. A color gloss (semi permanent that blends in my grays), costs $20-40. Regular color is much more. So I don't think $75 is unexpected for a hair color.

I would say that tipping on hair color is the same as tipping on eating out - you should factor in an adequate tip when deciding whether you can afford it in the first place.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 11:20:14 AM »
20% Even as a grad student in the LA area. Haircuts are $50 at the place I go, so $60 with tip. I tried some of the $20-30 hair salons but got the craziest, worst haircut at one and decided it wasn't worth it anymore. At least with fine wavy/curly hair I can stretch out time between cuts to 3 months rather than 6 weeks... I've contemplated having bf do it, but (a) not now that I'm interviewing! and (b) afraid of it ending in frustration and a fight.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »
I live in a very HCOL area and recently had my very short hair colored to the tune of $75.  Ouch.  And this is a mid-range salon.  I've heard that 20% is the going tipping rate, but that just feels like too much.  Am wondering what others in this situation are tipping.

I was tipping about 10%, but then my husband informed me that I was being cheap, and he suggested doubling it. I don't get my hair colored but do get it cut every 6 weeks (it's curly, so it needs it), and I pay $40 per haircut ($48 with tip).

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 12:11:55 PM »
I tip 20%

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »
20%

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »
I sleep with her.

So, just the tip then? ;)

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 03:05:38 PM »
I sleep with her.

+1

I do the same. (MY wife, not acroy's :) )

rpr

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 03:08:31 PM »
Usually 20% for me. DW tips higher depending on satisfaction. 

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 03:11:08 PM »
My wife won't cut my hair. Ah, la, the trouble in my life.

I tip almost all service people 20%. It adds an extra $20 to the final bill at the salon. It's painful, but the lady providing the service deserves it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 03:13:00 PM by Sailor Sam »

LadyMuMu

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 03:11:26 PM »
20% and a $20 on Christmas additional.

Eric9064

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 03:34:21 PM »
20% on anything over $50, $10 tip on any haircut that cost less.

missundecided

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 12:28:48 AM »
What if the hairdresser is the owner or self-employed and not renting out a chair at the salon?

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 04:05:14 AM »
What if the hairdresser is the owner or self-employed and not renting out a chair at the salon?

Mine is.

I feel guilty not tipping but I hate tipping.

I know people say you don't tip the owner but it feels so weird.

Haircut is 30, I give her 5$.  I gave up haircuts and did it myself for a couple years as a sahm, but now I'm back at work and went back to getting it cut.

Tipping blows.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 04:20:13 AM »
I tip about 20%.  But I get moderately priced cuts (~~$40), 2-3 times a year, so it doesn't really bother me. To me, it's part of the cost of the service, and if I'm not comfortable spending $50 on a haircut, then I need to find another option.

Iplawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 04:28:30 AM »
I have a quarterly service I almost always buy a Groupon for.  I tip 20% on what the service would have cost if I'd paid full price.

On all of my other services are 20% to the next dollar.  $100 at Christmas.

yachi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 05:53:25 AM »
2 or 3 drops of oil between the blades of my clipper every few haircuts.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:12 AM »

+1

Going to a hairdresser?  What am I, rich?

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 06:35:20 AM »
Definitely in the 20% range.  I am also in a HCOL area.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 07:09:50 AM »
20%

I'm in a medium COL area (highest for my state though).
A shampoo/haircut for curly hair runs about $50-60, $70-80 if I have them blow dry and style, which I don't.

I get my hair cut extremely short once every 1-2 years then grow it out until I'm tired of it (no need for trims with my hair), so that saves a bit. Wish I could go for a cheaper haircut, but man have I had some disasters on my difficult hair.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 04:19:39 PM »
A haircut at my barber is $17 CAD [$13 USD] and I give him a twenty without getting change back.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 04:46:59 PM »
I go with $5 tip on a $10 haircut.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 04:58:37 PM »
15%, and the haircut is $16 at my local barber. So about $19 total.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 05:03:53 PM »

Mine is. I don't tip, because he sets the price he wants.

Pigeon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 05:25:27 PM »
I go to a low priced salon ($15 for a cut) and I tip $7.  They give great haircuts and I feel guilty that they charge so little.

frugalfelicia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 05:29:19 PM »

+1

Going to a hairdresser?  What am I, rich?

Same!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 06:30:16 PM »
I give my hair dresser a kiss and a thank you (my husband). When I cut his hair he does the cleanup, which is huge because he has a tremendous amount of thick, black hair that absolutely gets everywhere and sticks to everything.

I have fine hair so I knew nothing about this before. His shirt hairs are like little needles that stab. I even ended up with a hair splinter that got in under my skin that I pulled out with tweezers. Crazy!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 06:44:55 PM »
I've been cutting my hair for years but I recently went to a salon because I was tired of my same old style.  The stylist was great!   I tipped 22%.  My reasoning is the stylist is on their feet the entire time, it took almost 1 hour from start to completion, and it was a very good haircut.  I've had my share of sloppy or bad haircuts, so when I find someone with talent I figure I should pay up. 

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 08:40:01 PM »
20%

letired

• Pencil Stache
    • Needs More Glitter
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 09:12:39 PM »
I was tipping between 10% and 20% for  mediocre mid-price haircuts, no color. Then I watched this video and started cutting my own. The tradeoff is that I keep my hair longer than I might otherwise, but it's not $40 + tip more effort to take care of. And if I decide to color my greys at some point (diy of course), it will definitely be worth the cost to keep cutting it myself.

Disclaimer: I work in a casual office in a casual field and can pretty much look like whatever I want. That said, my hair looks just fine, tyvm. Possibly not adequate for a more high-powered look without practice.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 05:43:49 AM »
Nothing. I cut my hair myself and don't color it. When I was still going to salons in a HCOL area, I tipped 20%.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 05:58:33 AM »
I sleep with her.

+1

Damn, I came here to write ''I bang him''  but you all beat me to it!!

MoonLiteNite

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2017, 06:52:19 AM »
I normally just buzz my hair every 3-6 months. But every great now and then i go to supercuts.
I think they charge like 17$ after taxes.

And i normally throw a 10$ tip on there if they people are nice. Always makes their day :)

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 07:00:41 AM »
20%. I dye my hair myself, but cutting it is something I really don't trust myself with. Plus I like it when I go for a maintenance cut every six months and have someone else wash my hair. Super relaxing and nice.

fatcow240

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 07:21:53 AM »
I sleep with her.

+1

I have been doing this off and on.  My wife finally started letting me cut her and the girls hair after watching many YouTube how to videos.  I had to start out sparingly, so she could go get it fixed if I screwed up.  So far, so good.

2017 annual hair budget $0.

I used to tip $5 on a $17+tax haircut.  I agree with the 20%.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2017, 07:50:41 AM »
I am notoriously bad at getting my hair cut in a timely fashion, but I found a woman that doesn't shame me for not visiting every 6 weeks (rather every 6 months), she cuts my hair in a way that allows me to spend about 3 minutes styling it in the morning and grows out well, she doesn't try to upsell products and she has a smart ass sense of humor. The haircut costs $50 and takes her 20 minutes, maybe 30 if she feels chatty. I give her $10 in cash.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2017, 07:56:07 AM »
+1 for sleeping with the enemy... er hair dresser. My wife takes care of my hair for me. I've lost half of it anyway, so why even try? Just shave it down once a week.

But my god I hate having to sit still for that long. What am I, a toddler?

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2017, 08:34:18 AM »
I am notoriously bad at getting my hair cut in a timely fashion, but I found a woman that doesn't shame me for not visiting every 6 weeks (rather every 6 months), she cuts my hair in a way that allows me to spend about 3 minutes styling it in the morning and grows out well, she doesn't try to upsell products and she has a smart ass sense of humor. The haircut costs $50 and takes her 20 minutes, maybe 30 if she feels chatty. I give her $10 in cash.

I use a different stylist (at the same place) each time. They all think it is hysterical that I cut my hair less than once a year. They don't seem to mind that they aren't going to get repeat business, and everyone has done a great job when I tell them to cut it in a way that will not fit into a ponytail, and then grow out well until it does fit into a ponytail.

Rubyvroom

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 08:59:34 AM »
They all think it is hysterical that I cut my hair less than once a year. They don't seem to mind that they aren't going to get repeat business, and everyone has done a great job when I tell them to cut it in a way that will not fit into a ponytail, and then grow out well until it does fit into a ponytail.

I totally relate. I always feel weird finding a new stylist and having to explain my level of laziness to them. I don't buy products. I just want to get my hair wet in the morning and muss it up with my hands and be good to go. And I want it short enough that it still looks halfway decent 6 months from now. The looks I've gotten over the years... stylists be like D:

Prodigal Daughter

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 09:00:58 AM »
My stylist is the owner of the business. I still can't figure out if I should tip her or not. I always do, even though she's the owner, but I probably tip closer to 10-15%. So now I don't know if I've been under tipping or tipping when I don't need to.

The tipping system is dumb.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 09:06:08 AM »
I tip 20%, BUT...I get it cut at an Aveda school so the actual cut is only $20-25.  It does take longer (I can easily be there for an hour), but I've always been happy with the results.  And I have long hair, which I figure is lower risk :)

ETA: If you have short hair, any reason you can't DIY the color at home? If you are doing highlights, you can get one of those little caps with the holes to pull chunks of hair through, a bit tedious but works much better than DIY foils (foils are definitely best left to pros).  If you are doing a solid color, my mother always swears by getting two adjacent colors and mixing them to get a color that doesn't look like it came from a box (you can use 1/2 of each for one coloring and then save the other 1/2 for the next session).
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 09:13:07 AM by cats »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 09:31:53 AM »
They all think it is hysterical that I cut my hair less than once a year. They don't seem to mind that they aren't going to get repeat business, and everyone has done a great job when I tell them to cut it in a way that will not fit into a ponytail, and then grow out well until it does fit into a ponytail.

I totally relate. I always feel weird finding a new stylist and having to explain my level of laziness to them. I don't buy products. I just want to get my hair wet in the morning and muss it up with my hands and be good to go. And I want it short enough that it still looks halfway decent 6 months from now. The looks I've gotten over the years... stylists be like D:

I tend to say "if it takes more than 30 seconds to put a bit of gel on it when I get out of the shower, this style is too high maintenance." (I really do need gel when my hair is short; it is super curly and really frizzy- but I buy the LA Looks stuff that costs nothing and lasts 8 years...) 

I do not own a blow dryer, straightening iron, curling iron, or anything else that people do hair with.  I have a thin tooth comb and a wide tooth comb. Both are between 20-30 years old.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:47 AM »
10% ($5 on $50). If it's amazing, I do 20%.

I also discount her accounting services. So fair is fair. She doesn't tip me even though she says I'm an amazing accountant.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »

I also discount her accounting services. So fair is fair. She doesn't tip me even though she says I'm an amazing accountant.

What is the % tip if you add in your annual accounting discount to your annual hair appointments tip?

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 10:08:41 AM »

Wrong question for this site!  We facepunch people that spend that kind of money on having hair done!

NeonPegasus

• Bristles
    • Neon Pegasus
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 10:25:14 AM »

Wrong question for this site!  We facepunch people that spend that kind of money on having hair done!

Why? If the person is on track financially, why would that matter? We all make decisions about how best to use our money and enjoy our lives.

I spend a pretty decent chunk of money getting haircuts ($55 for cut + $25 for color +20% tip every 6 weeks). I don't get manicures or pedicures, get other cosmetic treatments, buy expensive clothes or spend money in a myriad of other frivolous ways. I rarely get time to myself (mom of 3) and we are quite on track with our finances. A nice non-mom haircut is a treat and I enjoy each and every one.

Cpa Cat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 11:30:57 AM »

What is the % tip if you add in your annual accounting discount to your annual hair appointments tip?

Probably around 110%, assuming I meet her quarterly for tax matters and get my hair done quarterly. Not counting free tax advice during the appointment.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2017, 11:30:38 PM »
Thanks for the replies!  20% it is.  I've decided to do the DIY route and see how that goes.  I just don't get enough value out of this service to pay the going rate.  If the diy doesn't go well, I will check out some teaching salons and other cheaper options.