Author Topic: How much do you spend on meats?  (Read 15553 times)

morning owl

• Stubble
Re: How much do you spend on meats?
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2015, 10:42:31 AM »
We probably spend about $15-20 per week on high quality, small farm-raised fish and meat. But we don't eat very much meat, like maybe once or twice a week.

I'm just point out that all cattle eat grass :-)

All cattle do NOT eat grass -- when they're factory raised, they are usually fed grain feed because it's cheaper and easier to store. It's not like all cows raised for food are out there grazing in a field! Cheaper meats are cheap because of the mass production farming methods, which are pretty horrifying and OT so I won't get into it here. :)

JeffC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2015, 10:57:50 AM »
I have found that I enjoy the "cheap cuts" better.  Like leg quarters from chickens (1-2 per lb) if you cook them correctly they are very juicy and have great flavor.  Then I simmer stock out of the bones, which is really great. 

Whenever I see flatiron steaks on sale, I stock up.  The price I go for is when it goes under 5 bucks a pound.  They are so good grilled to medium rare, cut across the grain, with chimichurri.  Otherwise I don't really eat beef.

Pork shoulder is my favorite cut, and it is almost never more than $3.00 per pound.  With that, I make Carnitas by cubing it, simmering it with cumin, garlic and lots of black pepper, until all the liquid evaporates, then I fry the meat in it's own fat for about 15 minutes.  Crazy good. Also, if I have the time, slow cooking it over hardwood charcoal for about 8 hours until it falls apart and then pulling for sandwiches is awesome.

The other cut that's good is pork tenderloin, which seems to go on sale often here for about 2.50 a pound. marinate and grill it and slice into medallions.  Flavorful and lean. 

Ground pork is better in chili and tacos than ground beef, and is usually about 2.00 per pound.

Definitely the bulk of my protein intake comes in the form of eggs though.  I go for quality here.  Farm eggs if I can get them, otherwise organic from costco.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2015, 09:13:30 PM »
$11 for 2.2 lbs of oxtail! I'm pretty sure that's not great but at least we tried!

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2015, 09:36:08 PM »
$11 for 2.2 lbs of oxtail! I'm pretty sure that's not great but at least we tried!

.79 for leg quarters.... ehmmm "split chicken breasts" lol.

MrsCoolCat

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2015, 09:58:48 PM »
.79 for leg quarters.... ehmmm "split chicken breasts" lol.

Oh no you didn't! LOL but you seriously need to cook those tomorrow! LOL

kathrynd

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2015, 11:42:46 PM »
My husband and I spend about $10-20 a week on meat.
Usually chicken, beef, sausage,bacon, tuna...always on sale or reduced.