Author Topic: How much do you pay for insurance? Please limit to United States  (Read 2807 times)

Aggie1999

• Bristles
Inspired by a thread asking how much insurance to carry, I figured a thread showing what people pay would be helpful to fellow members. When posting your amounts please post the coverage levels you get for the price. Please limit to United States only. I'll start it off:

Auto Insurance (MetLife: $1039 per year):

Cars:
- 14 year old Dodge truck
- 14 year old Monte Carlo

Liability:
-- Bodily Injury: $250k each person/$500k each accident
-- Property Damage: $100k each accident

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists:
-- Bodily Injury: $250k each person/$500k each accident
-- Property Damage: $100k each accident

Personal Injury Protection: $2,500 each person

Home Owners (MetLife: $936 per year):

Basic Policy Coverage:
- Dwelling: $213k
- Private Structures: $43k
- Personal Property: $149k
- Personal Liability: $300k each occurence
- Medical Payments to Others: $5k each person
- Loss of Use: $53k

Deductible:
- 2% Wind/Hail/Hurricane
- $1k for all other claims

Terms:
- Special perils on property loss
- Replacement costs on building and contents

Umbrella Policy (Metlife: $350 per year):
- Coverage: $2M

Aggie1999

• Bristles
Re: How much do you pay for insurance? Please limit to United States
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
Reserved

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 08:56:23 AM »
Reserved

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 06:20:15 PM »
Why don't you just get quotes from multiple insurance companies? Just takes time.

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 07:58:02 PM »
Why don't you just get quotes from multiple insurance companies? Just takes time.

I though a thread with people sharing their rates would be a quick, helpful way for people to gauge if their insurance costs are good, bad, etc. Lot easier to have a quick look than dealing with multiple insurance companies every time you just want a general idea.

No responses to this thread though so maybe I am wrong...

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 05:41:42 AM »
We also pay around $600/yr for Geico auto, full coverage for two cars.  I plan on dropping to liability only soon, and can't wait to see how low it gets after that.  We had State Farm before and paid almost twice as much.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:45:56 AM by kpd905 »

Ocinfo

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 06:06:59 AM »
This is interesting information but not too directly useful. There was a thread on auto insurance not long ago and it did encourage me and others to get some quotes and make a change (State Farm to GEICO, cutting rate by over 50%) so it did help in that way.

The main issue is that people with the same car, living in a similar area, and similar backgrounds can have vastly different rates at the same company depending on how that company evaluates risk. For me, GEICO was super cheap and All State was expensive but for others it was the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 06:31:32 AM »
I've found there's a pretty normal market rate, if you can get slightly below it, your rates will just increase to the mean at renewal.

You can save 5-10% through Geico because their model cuts out an in-person local agent and that is the agents commission.  Unfortunately I've been hit by a GEICO driver and will not do business with the company based on how they treated the claim process.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 06:45:53 AM »

I though a thread with people sharing their rates would be a quick, helpful way for people to gauge if their insurance costs are good, bad, etc. Lot easier to have a quick look than dealing with multiple insurance companies every time you just want a general idea.

No responses to this thread though so maybe I am wrong...

Just an aside:  I did something similar about 2 years ago.  I got about 10 quotes.  There was lots of time on the phone and lots of spammy salesmen calling for weeks.  I finally found a company that sounded good with rates well below what I was paying.  I switched.  My agent said "Oh... you'll be back.  I know how they operate."  Two months later, they had trouble with underwriting and just dropped me flat.  No amount of reasoning with them would fix it.  (And, dear lord, why don't they get underwriting approved before they write the damn policy!)  At the time, I was out of town, living in a hotel and caring for a dying relative.  Major pain in the ass to deal with.  Just like he predicted, I called my old agent back and re-signed with what I had.

That's not to say there are not better deals to be found out there.  Just know that the devil you know is sometimes better than the devil you don't know.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 02:31:09 PM »
+1 to what Spork said...

A good agent with one of the mutual insurance companies can usually stay close and keep your life from being a pain.  Spent most of my working life with State Farm and Liberty Mutual....the quality varies substantially between agents but find a good one and there's value.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!