Author Topic: How much did YOU spend on Christmas gifts?  (Read 12749 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
How much did YOU spend on Christmas gifts?
« on: December 24, 2015, 10:44:32 PM »
I noticed on the Nightly Business report that people in the US will spend $850 on Christmas stuff.. they seemed to be implying buying physical gifts and decorations.

So I spent $115 on a new jewelry box for my Wife as she ddn't need anything else.

I couldn't imagine us both spending $1700 combined on consumeristic crap..

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How much did YOU spend on Christmas gifts?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:46:16 PM »
Cash for my legal assistant and key personal service providers, plus new floor mats for my mom's car, and Christmas cards for family = $425

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 11:48:57 PM »
Christmas gifts? What Christmas gifts?

Zero.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2015, 12:21:50 AM »
I planned on $400 which was the last two years, but we ended up coming in around $550 this time. 

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2015, 04:44:09 AM »
I think it was about $400. 6 nieces and nephews, 2 other small kids, a dear friend and her young son plus $100 to charity (a bunch of us do that instead of exchanging gifts). Oh and DH just spent $80 on gift cards for his parents.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 05:10:19 AM »
About $870, including cards, postage, etc., as well as gifts.  A good portion of the "gifts" were things that we probably would have bought anyway, like clothing and kitchen implements.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 06:14:29 AM »
I spent around $500 for parents, siblings, their spouses, my in-laws, etc. my wife and I spent about $600 on all new winter gear for our planned ski/snowboarding trip this weekend. That was stuff we actually needed however, as we didn't really have any after living down south the last 6-7 years.

Lski'stash

• Pencil Stache
    • A Teacher's Journey to FI in the Mitten State
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 06:34:30 AM »
$650 between six nieces and nephews, parents, in laws, and three siblings (nieces and nephews got the bulk of it). Husband and I did not exchange gifts this year.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2015, 06:58:03 AM »
$18.93.

Book for a guy friend that I kind of fancy, and some chocolates for the sweet man who works at the parking deck.  He is always so cheerful and I enjoy chatting with him every day when he rings me up.

Other than that, gifts to the rest of the family are in the form of 'quality time'.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2015, 08:11:03 AM »

Zero.

That would be me.  DH buys for his immediate family.  6 people x ~$50 each, so about $300.

I think I'm going to do some cash/gift cards for the people who work at the stable, but more of  year-end tip than a Christmas present specifically.  Maybe $125 there.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 08:16:11 AM »

Zero.

I like you.

I spent a few hundred, but it was for my daughter plus I sponsored two children in foster care.  I don't buy gifts for adults, to me that is simply ridiculous.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2015, 08:37:55 AM »
Zero Dollars.

I'm giving one gift, and it was free. I also told the few people who were so inclined to not give me anything.

I may be a grinch, but I'm a happy one.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 08:40:24 AM by MonkeyJenga »

jac941

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2015, 09:21:43 AM »
$20 for a white elephant at work. Not my idea of a good time, but it's one of those not mandatory but really mandatory things.

$100 on an "adopted" family who really needed the support.

$1300 on a couple of charities we support.

$0 on our family. Our kids are still too young to "get" what they're missing. When they get older, we might start doing "something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read".

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2015, 09:33:28 AM »
Zero.  But one person surprised me with a gift, so I will probably get him something in return.

smella

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 10:00:43 AM »
I spent $130 on my spouse, but it was a mixture of kitchen things we needed anyways and clothes and books for our baby-on-the-way.

I made handmade gifts for my relatives, cost of supplies about $20.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 10:11:22 AM »
Spent ~$250 on my SO, and about $400 total on remaining close family, godson and godsons parents.

If it were up to me, I would only exchange gifts with my SO. I come from a culture/family that places weight on this aspect of xmas/birthdays. It is what it is, I can easily afford it and generally enjoy giving a thoughtful/useful gift that is appreciated. I tend to receive gifts that I have no use/want for.....this year I expressed a "wish list" or is asked specifically I requested gift cards to Marshalls/Burlington Coat Factory to purchase some updated work clothes now that I lost 25lbs in the past 6 months and will lose another 10-15 before I'm done.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »
Plane ticket SEA to LAS: $100.60

Wife Present: $199.58

Boss Present: $10

Family Presents: $67.82

Total: $378.00

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »
I think it was about $400. 6 nieces and nephews, 2 other small kids, a dear friend and her young son plus $100 to charity (a bunch of us do that instead of exchanging gifts). Oh and DH just spent $80 on gift cards for his parents.

I forgot - plus $40 on boxes of chocolates for our pharmacy, vet practice and chemo ward staff. Our pharmacy and vet practice in particular went above and beyond for us this year with support and help. Such wonderful people. A box of chocolates and a heartfelt card was the least we could do.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »
About $280 for all of my family. Got everyone tickets for a day at a pro golf tournament. I value the quality time much more than consumerist items that they don't need more of

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2015, 03:14:11 PM »
I've only just started keeping track of our spending but we spent about $500 for both families.  9 Adults and 4 kids.  Most of the gifts were practical except for the kids, those were more fun.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »
WE quit exchanging gifts with friends in 2008. Everyone agreed so it was great. I took my adult kids out for a nice dinner last night which was $104.00 for the 4 of us.  My hubby & I also quit exchanging years ago.  We donate some $ to charity every year.  Now if I had grandchildren that would be another story but I don't so that's it:))

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2015, 04:39:40 PM »
$20 for a white elephant at work. Not my idea of a good time, but it's one of those not mandatory but really mandatory things.

The law firm my wife works at did that this Christmas except everyone drew an envelope out of a box that contained money to buy the gift that the firm provided.  She drew $75 while others drew up to $300.  A gift bag we had for a few minutes contained a Samsung tablet and a $50 gift card.  We ended up with a $130 flat screen television we couldn't possibly use. 

BarbeRiche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • BarbeRiche
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2015, 05:56:31 PM »
0$ as well and I do have a girlfriend and family : /

The way I see it is if a gift idea is just so obvious for a specific person, than I would go for it.  It kind of have to pop in my mind...not me thinking about it for 2 weeks and shopping for 12 hours before finding something decent.

I have no problem hosting a dinner at my place and providing food and wine anytime of the year but I really hate shopping, I do.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2015, 06:12:59 PM »
$350.  A lot of it was practical for my son who will be working outdoors this winter. 

StartingEarly

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2015, 11:12:04 PM »
$65. Bought some toys for my niece and nephew with my dad for $45 for my portion and put in $20 for a friend's daughter to get one of the toys she really wanted plus helped them put it together.

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 11:35:20 PM »
Sadly I spent quite a bit this year, but I mostly buy practical and needed gifts. It's also lower YOY.

$200 Total cost for iPhone 6S using the ATT Citi deal from another post. iPhone 4S still worked, but it's close to being end of life and that was a great deal for a phone with no contract.
$15 wife bought me a couple of puzzles
$8 new desk calendar for work, Dilbert gets me through the day
$2 new socks

$189 New camera for my wife. Hers got ruined taking pictures out the window while we were on vacation/sabbatical.
$75 Instant Pot for my wife, it benefits me too. Yes a bit of a luxury item, but we are hoping to use it to save money by cooking our own beans.
$15 Long underwear for my wife. She was due for new ones anyway.
$25 rechargeable battery set for new camera
$2 New socks

$10 workout shirt for oldest son
$50 impact driver for oldest son

$12 sweatshirt for youngest son
$50 gift card for grocery store for youngest son

$100 for 1/2 of a recliner for my mom. One of my brothers paid for the other half. She's really been wanting one for quite a while and I never could get either brother to pitch in for it in the past. Score, mom was very happy. She is on a fixed income and I already let her live in a condo I own for free.
$12 sweatsuit for mom
$10 slippers for mom

$108 for a pest inspection for my MIL. She has lived in her house since brand new, it's now 45+ years old and falling apart. She also said she had some sort of infestation in a closet. She too has been on a fixed income for quite a while and we have been helping support her. This inspection will hopefully set the priority of what needs to be fixed first.
$10 Lotion MIL wanted

$30 legos for nephew
$8 jeans for nephew

$15 video game nephew
$20 nerf gun nephew

$20 learning game for grand nephew (yes we did lots for this kid, but his mom is a single mom with very little income)
$8 jeans for grand nephew
$15 shoes for grand nephew
$15 sweatsuit for grand nephew
$5 PJ's for grand nephew

$10 crafting beads for cousin's daugter
$10 playdough for cousin's son

$10 blanket for brother

$10 blanket for brother and sil

$80 in friend gifts

$50 in charity gifts for various toy runs

$140 in White Elephant gifts (2 people and 3 exchanges)

This was off the top of my head. I budget $1000/yr, but try to keep it as low as possible. I used to budget more.

JJNL

• Bristles
  • Zuinigheid met vlijt bouwt huizen als kastelen
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 01:51:42 AM »
Zero on gifts - but that's relatively easy if you live in a country where Christmas gift-giving isn't traditional. I still had some cards from last year and some stamps lying around, so apart from the money represented by the stamps that was also a 0. I did cook a relatively fancy dinner for my mom and sister, that was probably about 40 euros.

Hotstreak

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2015, 10:59:05 AM »
I cut back quite a bit this year, and spent $0.00.  It's nice to keep the extra year end money from work for myself, instead of spending it on "stuff" that people don't really want!  Everything I was given is being taken back to stores, which is just a chore.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2015, 02:52:37 PM »
I spent right around $3,000.  Pick your jaws up off the floor!!  I have 6 kids plus 2 of their spouses plus a long time SO plus grandson.  Then there are my parents (mom, dad, stepmom) and dh's dad and stepmom and dh's two brothers (neither married or with children of their own so dh feels obligated).  So we buy for 17 people and averages less than $150 per person so is comparable to those who spent a lot less for a lot less people!  I've actually cut back from the past few years (money was tighter this year) and bought less for my adult children since they have spouses/families of their own now.  Dh and I will need to come to some agreements before next year because I think we need to cut back even more but when I try he just keeps buying stuff!  We SHOULD have come in closer to $2500.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:54:39 PM by lakemom »

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2015, 03:14:08 PM »
Looks like I spent about $170 combined on our two kids and about $175 on extended family and friends. Mr. FP spent perhaps another fifty.

Mustachian People Problems: The boys received four hundred dollars in Christmas presents and I don't know what to use it for! I mean, I guess I could reimburse myself for some of the $170, but I was going to spend that anyway.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2015, 03:22:37 PM »
I spent nothing. 1.5 gifts, both were free.

Lakemom, have you considered asking the other adults if they would be ok with a "kids only" rule? And then some kind of $ limit per kid? Thoughtful gifts can be found for less than $150, and it's possible the other adults feel pressured to spend more than they would like too.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:56:29 PM by MonkeyJenga »

bye-bye Ms. FancyPants

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2015, 03:29:24 PM »
About $475 for 25 people. We have a large family and a MIL with high expectations.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2015, 03:35:38 PM »

Lakemom, have you considered asking the other adults if they would be ok with a "kids only" rule? And then some kind of $ limit per kid? Nobody needs $150 worth of gifts.

What she said. We had 9 small kids on our gift list, and we spent about $30 per kid, which was enough for a decent toy per child. We spent another $30 on a dear friend of mine, $80 on gift cards for our parents in law (we have tried to go gift free with them but they resisted, so we do low-key as a compromise) and then there is a group of friends who contribute $50 each to a charity donation instead of doing gifts. I reckon you could easily get to below $50 pp and minimise the number of adults that you give gifts to. Even  a nice $20 bottle of wine per adult (or similar) would save you heaps.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »
Out of pocket was somewhere around $400, but most of the gifts came from the "gift shelf" at home. We buy generisk presents through the year; when we find something on sale, or something of good value. When I get gifts for speaking, most of those go to the gift shelf. The same goes for a lot of the gifts we unwrap on Christmas. It is such a time saver when the kids get invited to birthdays, or when we plan the Christmas shopping.

The largest expense was cash gifts for our nieces and nephews. My sister spent the money at a water park (yay, experience instead of stuff), my brother was talking about clothes, and my husband's nephews are teenagers. We probably don't want to know.

MMMaybe

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2015, 04:22:44 PM »
Zero. We wanted to put the focus back on the day itself. Its become all about the presents and we think it should be about enjoying the time.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2015, 05:22:19 PM »
Mustachian People Problems: The boys received four hundred dollars in Christmas presents and I don't know what to use it for!

Education savings or investment account.  I wouldn't spend it now just to spend it, when there will almost certainly be something later that money could be used towards.

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
We had 10 people to buy for, my parents and rest is my in laws. We spent approx $40 TOTAL. All were good new gifts but we bought at garage sales and such. One we bought with a gift card ect. Even before we became more frugal and minimalistic we never spent over $100. Next year we are debating on not buying at all.. this will however cause an issue with his family as they will accuse us of being cheap most likely and non family oriented. We certainly have different views and goals then they do. We also spent $10 on operation christmas child, which is wonderful to do. We did 2 shoeboxes full of toys for it. Got everything from the dollar tree. Hubby and I do not buy for each other, instead we make each other a card. The insane present buying for Christmas is out of control.. I cannot believe how much people spend. Haha then the day after, you see everyone in the return lines.

It has gotten so far from the true meaning and reason of Christmas..
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:30:42 PM by icemodeled »

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2015, 05:26:28 PM »
Just shy of $1000. 

About $250 per kid, so $750 right there.  I'm sure there's some delusion involved in this type of thinking, but I give my kids gifts of things I would likely get them anyhow: swim gear for DS; horseback lessons for DD; art supplies for DSD. "Family Gift" of a day at the ski park.  And clothes, socks, PJs for general restocking.  My MIL was visiting so bought her a gift for about $40.

The rest of my extended family has gone from a gift-a-thon to drawing names with a $50 limit, but this year decided to pool all the $$ we would have spent on that and "adopt" a family in our community in extreme need.  So we bought the kids in that family warm coats, new shoes, toys, books, and a nice robe for the mom.  There was enough to buy all the makings for a holiday dinner, with the rest loading up a grocery store gift card.  It was done anonymously, and delivered by a friend of my uncle who dresses as Santa on Christmas Eve (he just looks like Kenny Rogers the rest of the year).  Being involved in that actually made my holiday.

My younger kids were momentarily disappointed when a well-to-do family friend, who normally gives them cool stuff, sent out a letter that she was donating to Doctors Without Borders  instead of buying presents for anyone on her usual list.  We looked up DWB and they saw all the great work that's done around the so it ended up being  a good discussion.

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2015, 06:46:16 PM »

Lakemom, have you considered asking the other adults if they would be ok with a "kids only" rule? And then some kind of $ limit per kid? Thoughtful gifts can be found for less than $150, and it's possible the other adults feel pressured to spend more than they would like too.

These are all MY kids (except for dh's family and that is non negotiable for him therefore my parents get gifts too (a magazine subscription for each) , but none of my 7 siblings/their spouses/their children get gifts from us).  My kids draw names and each get one gift (limit $75).  I'm sure once everyone has kids this will change again but I'll still be buying for a passel of grandchildren.  I don't mind I really just post on these threads to show that "how much did you spend" is relative.  Many mentioned in the low hundreds but only bought for 4-6 people.  My list is huge and I won't leave out any of my kids, their spouses, or their children ( I could have left out the SO but her gift was a whopping $13, a framed photo of her and my son taken on a family vacation this passed Summer).  I budget generously for Christmas and always have since I have a big family.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:55:58 PM by lakemom »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2015, 07:56:43 PM »
$25 each for my 8 nieces and nephews
$30 each for my parents, DHs parents and his grandmother
$50 to charity in memory of our son and $10 for an ornament for the tree (though we didn't put one up this year)
$80 on a new tent for us
Plus a bit for dessert ingredients and a bottle of wine to take to dinner at a friend's house.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2015, 08:17:04 PM »
$18.93.

Book for a guy friend that I kind of fancy, and some chocolates for the sweet man who works at the parking deck.  He is always so cheerful and I enjoy chatting with him every day when he rings me up.

Other than that, gifts to the rest of the family are in the form of 'quality time'.

Haha.. Both of these look like "investments" to me as opposed to gifts.

Let us know how the "guy you kind of Fancy" reciprocates..:)

FeelingRosie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2015, 11:18:25 PM »
We decided this year not to spend any money on Christmas gifts! This was easier for my husband and I because we don't have any children. We just told all our friends and family that we weren't going to buy any Christmas gifts this year and nobody even said a word about it.

We did end up giving a couple gifts because we participated in a group gift exchange, but I just found some nice item in my home that I never use and some even still in original packaging and gave them.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2015, 02:44:14 AM »

These are all MY kids (except for dh's family and that is non negotiable for him therefore my parents get gifts too (a magazine subscription for each) , but none of my 7 siblings/their spouses/their children get gifts from us).  My kids draw names and each get one gift (limit $75).  I'm sure once everyone has kids this will change again but I'll still be buying for a passel of grandchildren.  I don't mind I really just post on these threads to show that "how much did you spend" is relative.  Many mentioned in the low hundreds but only bought for 4-6 people.  My list is huge and I won't leave out any of my kids, their spouses, or their children ( I could have left out the SO but her gift was a whopping $13, a framed photo of her and my son taken on a family vacation this passed Summer).  I budget generously for Christmas and always have since I have a big family.

You choose to budget generously for Christmas, and that is cool. Why not say that, instead of using the number 17 as an excuse? We also buy for 17 people, but 5 of those people also have birthdays during the holidays, so we end up getting 22 presents. Our budget is well below yours.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2015, 07:08:22 AM »
Total spending was $550 plus $50 to charity.   However, $400 of the spending was credit card bonus points.

Emg03063

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2015, 01:47:34 AM »
$0.  Fringe benefit of being Jewish, although I didn't spend anything on hanukah presents either. :p

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2015, 04:38:42 AM »
$300-400 on actual gifts, but also about $350 for airplane tickets to actually visit all my family.  I wish I could scale back more on actual gift giving (no one truly needs anything) but all my family is so much into it... Fortunately I can afford easily this level of spending.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2015, 05:29:04 AM »
Out of pocket was somewhere around $400, but most of the gifts came from the "gift shelf" at home. We buy generisk presents through the year; when we find something on sale, or something of good value. When I get gifts for speaking, most of those go to the gift shelf. The same goes for a lot of the gifts we unwrap on Christmas. It is such a time saver when the kids get invited to birthdays, or when we plan the Christmas shopping.

I also keep a gift shelf.  All through the year, if I see a good deal on something that makes a great gift, I'll pick it up.  Besides the deal, this also greatly lessens the burden at Christmastime.  It's also FUN to shop the shelf!

Husband $50
Son $80
Daughter $100
Me $50
In law family gift exchange 25 x 4 = 100
Work secret santa $40
MIL $25

Total $450

For immediate family, its always stuff we use: clothes, shoes, makeup/skincare, restaurant gift cards.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2015, 07:30:33 AM »
We ended up spending around 1K. Here's the breakdown.

$400 on our three kids
$50 on stockings for each other (only mostly practical things and nicer chocolate and food)
$200 on parents and siblings
$100 on nieces and nephews
$125 on teachers
$100 on charity
$20 on neighbors

I will say, though, that we receive far, far more than we give. It's kinda crazy how much we are given. I would say about 1K in gifts and about 3.5K in cash. The parents are generous. We never ask and it changes every year. But my husband and I both got 1.3K each in cash and about $200 in gift cards. Plus the kids got cash that we deposit in their savings accounts.

This is because of having multiple grandparents because of divorce and great grandparents (again - divorce). We do a decent job directing people towards practical gifts, though. For instance, we got Weathertech floor mats for the car and soccer nets/local memberships for the kids. Plus clothes, shoes, and more clothes.

It's an embarrassment of riches, really. I am grateful, even as I am sighing at the amount of stuff that entered our home in the last few days. 

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2015, 08:16:36 AM »
$65 - groceries for a needy family
$32 - earrings for my 81 year old Mom, a tradition I've done for last 30+ years
$18 - One pair of Darn Tough socks (made in VT where I live) for same Mom above. 
$25 - my contribution to our Christmas Feast for our family of 12 including spouses.
$10 - Nephew's headlamp, we hike a lot & he always steals mine :)
-----
-$150 total Christmas expenditures

To offset this expense, I sold 3 winter jackets on CL $60 + $40 + $25
+$125 total Christmas sales

$25 Total cost for Christmas 2015

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 08:18:23 AM by snogirl »

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2015, 07:19:34 PM »

If you're happy with what you spend, that's great. I got the impression from your first post that you weren't completely happy, since you mentioned your husband going over budget, money being tight, feeling obligated to give to certain people, and wanting to cut back next year. I was trying to offer concrete advice on how to achieve that, not attack your spending.

And I was including your kids in the adults group, if they're old enough to have children of their own. :)