Author Topic: How Much Did You Pay for Your Couch? (And How Long Have You Had It)  (Read 30449 times)

makincaid

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How Much Did You Pay for Your Couch? (And How Long Have You Had It)
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2015, 06:42:38 AM »
$15, almost 20 year ago. It was left over at a boy scout yard sale.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2015, 07:11:26 AM »
$650 I think? Not 100% sure. Somewhere in that range, but it's a pull-out for guests (full). Figured that would be important in a one bedroom apartment. It's new (got it in December). It'll be good for 20 or so years. Ashley Furniture.

chemgeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2015, 07:16:06 AM »
I second the suggestion to avoid big box stores. If you're not in a crazy rush, I think furniture turn over season is in the summer, so if you don't have a specific color in mind, you can usually scoop a floor model from some of the higher end showrooms. We got out couch for 2k (that supposedly had a 5k list price) because we bought it off the showroom floor. It's a Century sofa. We've had it a year and still don't regret the high price.

Also, if you like some of the styles of the Pottery Barn/West Elm/Crate and Barrel furniture, see if there are any of those outlets in your area. The crate and barrel outlet near us constantly has furniture at pretty steep discount from returns. Sometimes they have minor things wrong, like a snag in the fabric or uneven coloration, but it's usually not noticeable and worth it for 50% off.

Coach78

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2015, 08:40:10 AM »
We had an experience with bedbugs once several years ago. It was beyond awful, and as such, used furniture will never be an option for us. The bedbugs go away, but headbugs live forever.

I spent a lot of time looking at sofas, and just could not get over the idea that a sofa is a very complicated way to solve the fairly simple problem of not sitting on the floor.

I ended up calling a manufacturer of sofa cushion foam, and had three sofa cushion foam pieces custom cut. Two like regular sofa cushions, and one like a chaise. I ordered the top of the line foam- the kind that you only find in couches that cost an absurd amount of money. Then I hired a seamstress who makes custom dog beds to custom make cushion covers and throw pillows for the foam pieces. I also bought a couple of cutesy pillows from Pier 1 with a gift card. Got a seagrass mat to anchor the whole thing on the floor.

When I put it all together I ended up with an absolutely amazing and comfortable Morrocan-style sofa that you can move around like a puzzle to suit your desires.

Foam: $300
Removeable covers and pillows : $90
Seagrass mat: $50

We've had it for a couple years.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 08:50:31 AM by Coach78 »

TimmyTightWad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2015, 09:39:08 AM »
I purchased a Pleather section for $700 (smh) about 3 yrs ago. It's already peeling. Now when I move I will have to buy another couch/sectional. this time suede!!!

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2015, 09:51:04 AM »
$650ish for a new couch with a chaise, around 8.5 years ago. It's held up well, and I expect it to turn 15 before I sell it to some college students. Most importantly--it sleeps like a cloud! Guys should never overlook that feature when shopping around.

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2015, 11:55:45 AM »
Couch and Loveseat set for $75.  The nice, cushy, microfiber kind.  They came out of a storage unit and the loveseat had had an engine sitting on it, so I had to shampoo out some grease stains.  I've only had them for a year, but I expect I'll have them for a good long time.  They still look new.

ShaneD

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2015, 01:41:40 PM »
$1200 or $1400
9 years ago (just before my older son was born)
We opted to replace the regular couch (that I purchased used from a friend in 1994 for $100) with a sofabed.  We have a small house, and it's where family sleeps when they visit.

The sofabed was cheaper than buying a house with a third bedroom.

mm1970, did you end up with a brand/model you'd recommend? I'm in search of a good sofa bed for these same reasons. All our furniture must do double-duty, but I'm having a hell of a time finding a sofa bed that doesn't suck as a bed or a futon that doesn't suck as a couch.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2015, 01:48:41 PM »
$1200 probably about 5 years ago.  It still looks new.  I do keep covers over it except with guests come over because of my heavy shedding dog.  But there is no sag to the cushions and it gets a lot of  (way too much) use.   I have had cheap furniture before and after just a few years, it looked bad. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »
$150 for a nearly perfect condition, comfortable, black leather couch off Craigslist.

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2015, 02:03:48 PM »
We bought a pleather sofa, loveseat and ottoman from Big Lots just over two years ago.  Buying used upholstered furniture kind of creeped us out (fine for tables, etc but not something that people may have sex on that you can't really disinfect very easily!), so Big Lots was the most budget-friendly option that we were comfortable with.   Total of about $600-700 for all three pieces and they still look great. 

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2015, 02:03:58 PM »
This place has AMAZING prices on new sofa's!!!!    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1_MZApnzGI

KD

• Stubble
  • "Waste is a resource out of place."-Coors Mfg.
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2015, 02:07:42 PM »
Leather sofa off of Craiglist $200.00. Man had spendypants wife who without discussion upgraded & had delivered a new one before he came home from work. On Store Credit.  Needless to say he was miffed.

3 weeks later and another seller...

Leather double reclining loveseat $100.  They were moving & it wouldn't fit in their new location. 

They both match & are napworthy!

About a year before that we gave our old worn ones away at $35ish on Craigslist when we were given Gran's perfectly nice set before our move, but they weren't really my colors or style and we wanted leather.  Sold our set for $300 so we didn't have to move it across the state.  Bought these in a few weeks after moving in.  So, we've had them about 2 1/2 years.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 07:55:09 PM by KD »

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2015, 02:53:26 PM »
I bought my lovely purple couch at goodwill for $200 a little under 4 years ago. I was excited because I was about to move into an unfurnished apartment by myself for the first (and only) time, and I wanted something appropriately silly to match the lime green walls in the living room.

I had no idea that I'd meet and move in with my future husband within a couple of years, and that we'd get a puppy who would scratch up the cushions. So sadly the couch is sort of a mess at this point, and it probably won't be coming with us on our next move.

justplucky

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2015, 05:43:28 PM »
Our "couch" is actually a futon I purchased to use as a bed. I went for a pretty high-quality frame and mattress, so it was around $700.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2015, 07:06:13 PM »
My parents bought our couch in the 1970s at Ethan Allen--I was born in 1984.  It was our family sofa until I was about 12, and then it was the guest room sofa.  About 10 years ago, they gave it to me--I had it recovered in ivory canvas for about $350.  People ask me if it's Pottery Barn!

So, technically, it's been my sofa since I've been alive.  :-)

NonprofitER

• Stubble
  • Reaching FIRE w/ High Purpose (Low Pay) Nonprofit
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2015, 07:51:27 AM »
We bought an IKEA Ektorp couch and we love it.  IKEA seems to be very love/hate with people, but the Ektorp has held up super well and I love that I can wash all the cushion covers regularly.  It's the couch guests seem to gravitate towards too and very nap-able.

We also have a vintage/ chesterfield brown leather couch bought off craigslist from a college student for $200 after he realized it wouldn't fit through his frat house room door.  He clearly had inherited it from his wealthy parents when going off to school but didn't understand its value.  I *almost* felt guilty for taking it so cheaply. 

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2015, 06:11:19 PM »
I bought my really expensive leather lounge suite new thirty years ago - it still looks great.

The very expensive new couch I got new twenty years ago for a birthday present doubles as a pull out bed. The cushions are becoming very worn, but last week I used a lot of cotton to darn/sew the covers and they will be great for another 5 years - and after that I have some spare fabric that I can use to patch it.

vivian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »
$100 for a new couch that was a slightly damaged floor model in 2002. Still super comfy.

Dimitri

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2015, 09:14:54 PM »
$777 for couch / loveseat / ottoman.  12+ years ago.  The couch is like new --- nobody sits in the living room --- it is wasted space.  The loveseat/ottoman are in the "TV" room.  Both are like new --- we don't wear shoes in the house.  No complaints.  20 or more years of use are reasonably expected.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2015, 09:19:18 PM »
About $400, 15 years ago. The cushions on the back are a bit misshapen, but otherwise it is in fine condition.

JetsettingWelfareMom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2015, 11:09:27 PM »
People pay for couches? Really?
My grandfather bought our green sofa back in the mid 1980's..all he bought was American made solid wood furniture. We repair and try to keep it from falling apart, which is not that hard since they made things to last back then. So if you're paying for quality stuff to last decades, sure spend a little. If it's just to match the new curtains this year, expect it to break down next year....

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2015, 07:21:41 AM »
We are on year 10 with our Ashley furniture couch, loveseat, 2 end tables and a coffee table that cost $1200 altogether.  The biggest problem is that the cushions don't match the arms anymore because we've washed them so many times.

We actually bought a second couch/loveseat/chair set for like $2500 about 2 years ago and I already really dislike them.  I'm really regretting that purchase, since I have at least 5 more years with them before I can justify replacing them. They are super comfy, but they wore down really quickly and don't look good.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2015, 07:50:35 AM »
I paid about £1200 for my enormous six foot long, 2 foot wide sofa and matching armchair about ten years ago.  Both still look great, are extremely comfortable and are neutral enough I can repaint my walls regularly and they match.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2015, 08:03:43 AM »
Ours was $450 at Big Lots for a couch with a chaise on one end (nice compromise since a sectional wouldn't work in our small living room). Only had it for ~2 years so far though so I can't speak to longevity...

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2015, 08:09:01 AM »
300$.  Bought a coworkers Haverty's sectional that was in great condition.  They even brought it to me for free.  Turned around and sold my smaller Ikea sectional to a college student for 350.

MsGuided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2015, 01:13:51 PM »
3 Craigslist couches:

1.  $1100.  Stickley leather and tapestry combo couch, basically unused.  I think we probably overpaid, but I'm a sucker for Stickley furniture.  It's in our family room and has been used and abused significantly and still looks incredible.  Probably would not pay that much again, though.

2.  $300. Ethan Allen sofa, chair and ottoman navy blue pinstripe velvet, excellent condition.  Eventually sold the chair and ottoman for $75 and still have the couch in a cabin that is rented out and abused.  Looks good.

3. $35.  Henredon brown houndstooth check couch with beautiful lines.  I couldn't believe running into this great condition couch at Goodwill on their 1/2 price Saturday.  It appears that the couch was used for staging or something, it was in near perfect condition except for a few scuff on the side (looked like from moving it).  The marks wiped right off.  This is my most recent purchase.  It sits in our front room that didn't previously have a couch and seems to be holding up well.  Mostly my daughter lays on it with a princess blanket reading. 

Since I have never experienced bed bugs, maybe I've been too casual about the risks, but I can't imagine buying a new couch.  I still obsessively check all Craigslist Stickley furniture listings even though I don't need any new furniture.  Just love the stuff.

Good luck with your couch hunting!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »
sectional basement dual recliners microfiber ... id say mid level quality 2 years old for us ... 150 CL

recliner / sofa with dual recliner / rocker recliner love seat.  microfiber... 5 years old for us 650 CL

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2015, 02:07:53 PM »
I wouldn't decide ahead of time, see what's out there used. Sometimes other people's used is still relatively new, and also some old sofas were really made well. We live in NC, and there are some good antique/consignment shops in our area. Our old couch (solid sleeper sofa) was still comfortable but the fabric was really embarrasingly stained despite all my attempts at cleaning (would have needed to be re-covered) so we sold it. And then re-organized room so we needed a sofa that needed pretty specific dimensions. We looked over the course of a couple months, consignment, antique, craigslist and also new before making a decision. A couch is usually not critical so you can take your time with search.  If you do buy new, learn some of the terms about construction so you are comparing like with like, price-wise.
Oh when we had our sleeper sofa it was 800 (a deal, nice solid Workbench piece with higher end queen mattress that saw a lot of use and was still comfortable), next a leather sofa with ottoman for 1100, previous to that, resale sofas (less than 50).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 02:12:46 PM by partgypsy »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2015, 02:31:07 PM »
The couches I've had throughout my life have all been free. I don't have a couch now at all.

dunhamjr

• Stubble
  • mustachian in training est. July 14
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2015, 02:59:29 PM »
i dont recall the exact amount because its been a couple of years... we got a couch, loveseat, chair, and a table... but through various issues with the table it was finally returned/refunded AND we ended up with some credits as well.

i would guess the couch was around $500 of the total.
bought through Macys i am thinking only about 3 years ago.

the butt cushions havent held up like they could.  the material is a bit tweed like, and has a large amount of "pilling".
the chair butt cushion seems are letting go.

really disappointing overall.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »
A year into our marriage bought a moderately-priced sofa-and-loveseat set.  It looked like crap in about two weeks -- okay, that's an exaggeration, but the point is that it just didn't last.  We limped along with it for a decade, especially because the kids were small and buying good stuff didn't make sense.  However, we decided that we'd never again skimp on furniture that gets heavy use. 

When we moved into this house 14 years ago we bought a NICE Broyhill leather set -- again, a sofa and loveseat; not the type with pieced-back-junk, but good stuff -- and although it cost 2K, it still looks like new today.  Money well spent.  I have no plans to replace it anytime soon.