Author Topic: How Much Did You Pay for Your Couch? (And How Long Have You Had It)  (Read 30442 times)

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
Wondering if I am about to get a facepunch here...

My DH and I bought a home about four years ago (pre-mustacian, although frugal) and decided our free college couches needed to go for a matching set. We bought a sofa and loveseat from a going-out-of-business Ashley's Furniture for about $600. We also have a Black Friday special chair that was $200 from Haverty's.

We don't like them anymore. A spring fell out of the back of the chair, which didn't bother me at first, but then I was in a car accident five months ago and the missing spring is just aggravating the area. I want the couch, but DH is simply too big for my little chair and we both think the loveseat really isn't practical/comfortable.

We want to buy a sectional so we can both lay on the couch whenever we want, and cut down on some fighting. DH wants to get a really nice one that will be very comfortable and last a long time. I am trying to push him towards finding a nice one on Craigslist. I am looking in the $200-$1,000 range.

That leads me to my question - how much did you pay for your couch? How long have you had it? Is this facepunch worthy?

Note about our finances: Our home is now paid off and we own a rental, so no loans or credit cards the money needs to go towards. Just delaying money for the downpayment of our next rental.

cashstasherat23

• Stubble
Re: How Much Did You Pay for Your Couch? (And How Long Have You Had It)
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »
I would recommend Craigslist. I just moved and spent a lot of time on there perusing couches and the like. I ended up going with a $50 futon (single, in a 1 bd apt with no need for more furniture than that!) , but saw many many nice sectional couches for sale in the $500 range, barely used by people who decided they liked something better, or were moving to a smaller place. No need to buy a sectional full price-there are many spendypants people who are willing to sell to you for a discount!

bungalow10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:15:36 AM »
We have a leather couch, chair, ottoman by Thomasville we bought barely used for $1000 off ebay.  It was less than a year old, gorgeous.  The bad part is that hasn't held up well.  I guess it is eight years old now, but looks and sits like crap.

We also have a sectional from Costco in our family room.  $1000.  So far it is holding up great.  Two years old.  DH had an injury and gushed blood all over it and it cleaned right up (we did Scotchguard it with some cans from the hardware store).   

I'll buy from Costco again.

J'onn J'onzz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 10:16:25 AM »
Just bought a "new" couch and oversized chair thing for $420 from a thrift store. I know it is second hand but you can not tell my looking at it.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:17:13 AM »
I paid about $250, 5 or 6 years ago.  It's in sad shape though - the cats have shredded the sides & we have to keep them covered with blankets because all the stuffing is falling out the sides.  The cushions are still great though.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:22:13 AM »
Second hand store, 8 years ago. I think it was $500 for the couch and the matching oversized chair, but I split halvsies with my parents so they could use them ~6 months until they were out of their old home. Were holding up okay until they were kept in a storage unit with heavy things on them for ~3 months. Since then, the bottom is starting to buckle. Will have to replace them when we move.

I vote Craigslist or second hand also because the offgassing from new furniture is pretty intense and has potential health implications (VOCs, etc).

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:30:04 AM »
$150 for a couch and love seat from Craigslist about 2 years ago.

LucyBIT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:31:04 AM »
Sofa Mart, ~3 years ago, $700 sectional. I love it and it's holding up really well, even with kitty claws. It's big enough for both me (5'4") and my husband (6'4") to lie down on at the same time, plus the back is just pillows so you can rearrange them in any number of ways. My only gripe is that the clippy thing that holds the pieces together has come off, but it stays together without it and it could probably be reattached with little effort (we're lazy).

zoltani

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 10:31:18 AM »
$70 bought from a yardsale about 3 years ago. The couch sells new for thousands. Got a good deal!

caseyzee

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:34:36 AM »
I have a bed bug phobia.  I would never buy a used couch.  I'm pretty sure I would need medication to get over the issue.  YMMV.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »
I have a bed bug phobia.  I would never buy a used couch.  I'm pretty sure I would need medication to get over the issue.  YMMV.

I live in FL, where bed bugs are very unusual (I have never heard of anyone who had them). I know this is a big concern in other areas.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 10:41:08 AM »
Craigslist has great deals on furniture! Even the free section sometimes has furniture in really good condition.

To answer your question: I bought a used sofa off of craigslist for $150 about 4 years ago. It is a crazy 1980s sofa w/ amazing fabric and was super clean (barely used). Love it. Super comfy.

I have a Mitchell Gold sectional that was purchased in 1999, new, when I was living in Hawaii. I think it was abour $3000. There was no craigslist back then so... It was very expensive but it has held up. Fabric still looks good even after cats, dogs, two kids who are now 11 and 8, etc.

What is not worth spending any money on at all is *cheap* cheap super cheap furniture from dealers (sorry - the kind of place where you get a sofa for $400) and also not worth it is a lot of the upholstered furniture from Ikea. Some of what Ikea sells is ok quality, but a lot of it is junk that looks good for a while and then falls apart. Inexpensive upholstered furniture is easy to make look good in the showroom - and even if you know about furniture construction you can't nessesarily tell much about the quality just from looking at the outside. In comparison, it is pretty easy to tell poorly made casegoods (like a dresser) from junk just by looking. Springs should not be falling out of chairs after a couple years of use! Furniture frames should be heavy and have a solid feel to them when you pick them up, padding should be firm, upholstery on fixed areas should be tight w/ no loose seams. Pillows can be filled w/ foam (generally more firm) or with down (squishy), or with a combination.

Unforunately, I put Ashley Furniture in the category of a store that is selling a lot of poorly made furniture. "Big store" brands that are good quality include Henrehdon, Pottery Barn, West Elm, Mitchell Gold, Ethen Allen, Flexsteel, many others. You can find excellent quality used furniture on craiglist. Avoid that awful cheap "bonded" leather that rips and goes to hell with very little use (any leather sofa that is $1000 new is covered in the stuff - it is basically leather cooked up w/ plastic - junk).

So you can both get what you want w/ some careful shopping on craigslist - a comfortable sectional w/ a reasonable price.

LadyDriver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 10:43:12 AM »
Our house was a vacation rental before we purchased it, and the sellers threw in an assortment of furnishings as a part of the bargaining process. I've gotten rid of many items over the last 6 years (DH and I do not need 6 beds, for example). The couch was the most recent thing to go. I've hated it since day 1, but waited until something better (but still cheap or free) came along. Sister just downsized and gave me her couch.

That said, I wouldn't have a problem spending in the range you mention because it sounds like you will use it daily.

Edit: I just realized that I have lived in this house longer than I have lived anywhere before. Perhaps moving 20 times contributes to my reluctance to spend money on furniture.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:02:46 AM by LadyDriver »

eostache

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 10:50:06 AM »
Our couch is a decent quality wooden futon. I got the futon mattress for free at a yard sale. It looked like it had been barely used and the person just wanted to get it rid of it. A little later I found a moving sale on craiglist selling the wooden futon frame for $50. Cleaned it up and tightened the bolts up a bit and it's perfect for us.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 10:50:22 AM »
Craigslist has great deals on furniture! Even the free section sometimes has furniture in really good condition.

To answer your question: I bought a used sofa off of craigslist for $150 about 4 years ago. It is a crazy 1980s sofa w/ amazing fabric and was super clean (barely used). Love it. Super comfy.

I have a Mitchell Gold sectional that was purchased in 1999, new, when I was living in Hawaii. I think it was abour $3000. There was no craigslist back then so... It was very expensive but it has held up. Fabric still looks good even after cats, dogs, two kids who are now 11 and 8, etc.

What is not worth spending any money on at all is *cheap* cheap super cheap furniture from dealers (sorry - the kind of place where you get a sofa for $400) and also not worth it is a lot of the upholstered furniture from Ikea. Some of what Ikea sells is ok quality, but a lot of it is junk that looks good for a while and then falls apart. Inexpensive upholstered furniture is easy to make look good in the showroom - and even if you know about furniture construction you can't nessesarily tell much about the quality just from looking at the outside. In comparison, it is pretty easy to tell poorly made casegoods (like a dresser) from junk just by looking. Springs should not be falling out of chairs after a couple years of use! Furniture frames should be heavy and have a solid feel to them when you pick them up, padding should be firm, upholstery on fixed areas should be tight w/ no loose seams. Pillows can be filled w/ foam (generally more firm) or with down (squishy), or with a combination.

Unforunately, I put Ashley Furniture in the category of a store that is selling a lot of poorly made furniture. "Big store" brands that are good quality include Henrehdon, Pottery Barn, West Elm, Mitchell Gold, Ethen Allen, Flexsteel, many others. You can find excellent quality used furniture on craiglist. Avoid that awful cheap "bonded" leather that rips and goes to hell with very little use (any leather sofa that is $1000 new is covered in the stuff - it is basically leather cooked up w/ plastic - junk).

So you can both get what you want w/ some careful shopping on craigslist - a comfortable sectional w/ a reasonable price.

I agree Ashley's Furniture was the wrong place to buy something, we just didn't know at the time. Our parents had never really bought furniture before (all hand me downs), and we really just didn't know. We looked on craigslist at the time and couldn't find anything/didn't know what we were doing. Thanks for suggestions on better furniture - I will focus on craigslist postings from those.

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »
We paid $1,000 for a Crate and Barrel couch in 1993.  It is SOLID and still in great shape.  I've recovered it twice and it is probably ready for another.  Recovering it costs about $600, but $2,200 for 22 years is still pretty good for a couch that gets used daily. 

AllezAllezAllez

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 11:36:30 AM »
I bought a newly reupholstered 4-pc sectional from a consignment shop for $450 in 2001; 3 of the 4 sections are still in my living room, and one functions as a "slipper chair" in a bedroom. It was perfect at the time because the sections are small, so easy to get up the windy staircase to my apartment at the time. I agree that you have to be super-careful about bedbugs etc, but if you shop used furniture in the right places -- consignments and estate sales in upscale neighborhoods -- you can find some great stuff.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 11:38:52 AM »
$1200 or $1400
9 years ago (just before my older son was born)
We opted to replace the regular couch (that I purchased used from a friend in 1994 for $100) with a sofabed.  We have a small house, and it's where family sleeps when they visit.

The sofabed was cheaper than buying a house with a third bedroom.

Now, years later, we've added to the mix with 2 camping cots and a $100 cot with a mattress from Amazon.  We've slept up to 4 extra people at one time. It's a squeeze though.

DagobertDuck

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 11:42:48 AM »
I don't own a couch.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »
Craigslist... sure it's hit or miss, but I lucked out and found a like new set of cream Italian leather couch and sofa... for $50.

RedMaple

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 11:49:45 AM »
My love seat was about $350 from a furniture store. Both of the seats recline, the couch is leather, and it's very compact/small. Aside from the colour, it was exactly what I wanted. I've had it for about 4 years and I still love it. I'm planning on keeping it until it is no longer comfortable to sit in or it can no longer recline. Actually all of my furniture was expensive because it needed to be compact/small yet functional and I also wanted to like how the items meshed in my studio. They were purchased from furniture stores. I think I spent a bit under $2k for everything - full size bed, mattress, dresser was ~$1250, table was $250, tv stand was $60, computer table was $70. But this is excluding tip.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 11:56:51 AM »
$80 futon from moving sale. 10 years old. Replaced the cover and mattress for another $50 since then.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:07:07 PM by Cookie78 »

jaymeegs

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 11:58:50 AM »
My Craigslist couch and chair set was $150, delivered. We sold it 7 years later before moving out of state for the same price!

Our finds for the new place include a beautiful couch for $25, and a family freebie that they were paying to store. Keep an eye on Craigslist, and your ears open. You'd be surprised what people need to get rid of!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 12:21:51 PM »
Queen sleeper-sofa was purchased new but at a floor sample discount in 1982. Bought it at Ethan Allen in upstate NY…but I understand you have to be careful of their quality these days…apparently not the same company it used to be. Anyway, this sofa is still going strong…has been moved multiple times…never re-upholstered. Expensive to begin with, but well worth it. Our other fancy pants queen camel-back sofa with matching loveseat was bought in 1997 at an Ethan Allen bargain back room. The pieces had custom upholstery but the customer refused delivery because she didn't like the (perfectly fine) upholstery job. I think the two pieces totaled around $1700. Pricey but totally worth it--I have laid all over both pieces for years--formal looking but comfortable. We have had other sofas here and there from local middle-grade furniture stores and places like J.C.Penney. I think the most important things are practicality and comfort. Make sure you have a sofa in your house that is long enough to lie down on. I wouldn't buy second-hand unless I knew the people well. Agree with those upthread who would worry about bedbugs.

HenryDavid

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »
My parents got a 2nd hand couch at a flea market. Tired upholstery but kickass oak frame and steel springs.
Paid $20 Canadian. Then $200 for brand new upholstery and cushions.
That thing is gonna last a lifetime.

jackiechiles2

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 12:31:03 PM »
I would recommend Craigslist. I just moved and spent a lot of time on there perusing couches and the like. I ended up going with a $50 futon (single, in a 1 bd apt with no need for more furniture than that!) , but saw many many nice sectional couches for sale in the $500 range, barely used by people who decided they liked something better, or were moving to a smaller place. No need to buy a sectional full price-there are many spendypants people who are willing to sell to you for a discount!

Yep.  We bought a leather couch and chair (real leather) for $500 on craigslist 2 years ago.  Sits super comfortable and easy to wipe off when our kids spill God knows what on it.

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 12:45:18 PM »
I bought a sweet leather sectional on craigslist for $300.  So don't think that you can't find a good deal.  Just look every day!

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 12:52:24 PM »
I paid $1k for my leather couch 17 years ago. It's a little faded as I neglected it for a few months letting it sit in the sun. Nevertheless, the couch is supple and in excellent shape for a daily used item. The other one cost me $400. Still have it too... they're getting old and it's probably time to change but I can't do it just yet...

cynthia1848

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 01:02:52 PM »
I would not buy used furniture any more because BEDBUGS.

We just bought a new couch from Crate & Barrel, about $3K.

frugaldrummer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »
I bought a beautiful large sofa and chair with ottoman for $1,000 brand new at a large local furniture consignment shop 3 years ago. Nice quality (they get new stuff sometimes, overstocks, designer mistakes etc.)  They also carry a lot of nice high-end used furniture. 

Years ago, I had a nice large sectional couch that was wicker (not the skinny reeds, the fat ones - think tropical look).  The only upholstery was on the removable cushions themselves.  That held up great and all I had to do was sew new cushion covers if it got worn or if I wanted to change the look.  Also easy to wash the covers when my three kids spilled on it.  That was really practical with kids.

If you buy leather, make sure it's real leather, not "bonded leather" - the bonded leather will not last, it wears off the surface after a while.

Write Thyme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • I will get there one day.
    • Simple Living. Saving + Frugality. Meal Planning.
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2015, 01:41:30 PM »
I got mine for free from someone that was moving. 3.5 years and counting. I'd never pay more than $200 for a couch, and that is pushing it.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2015, 01:49:35 PM »
$900 seventeen years ago ($53 per year) for a leather sofa.  It does have 2 very small wear holes that are not noticeable.  Otherwise it is still good and comfortable.

I prefer leather furniture (dark color), because it's durable, comfortable, and pretty much stain proof.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
I got a Rowe sofa (good quality, made in the next state over, eco-friendly, etc.) for about $800. I found the same model sofa sold under a different name at Haverty's, waited until Black Friday, got a big (Haverty's) discount, then had my independent neighborhood furniture store match the price.

We've had it for three or four years now and it's in like-new condition, but I have to admit that doesn't mean much because we don't sit on it all that much and we preemptively covered it so our cat wouldn't tear it up. (In retrospect, I should have picked a fabric with a tighter, smaller weave, like a microfiber.)

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2015, 03:13:30 PM »
Paid $300 for a dual-recliner sectional off Craigslist this past September.  It's like 6 years old and the original owner paid $1200ish.  It was in amazing condition when we got it but my dogs are jerks and now it's got rips.  It's super comfy though and I don't see us replacing it until it's unusable...no sense buying a new one when the dogs are so heavy that they pop a hole in the upholstery with their nails when they jump on it. 

We also just paid $180 for a nicer more "formal" Raymour & Flanagan sectional for our upstairs living room, from one of those Facebook tag sale sites.  We haven't even unloaded it out of the car yet because there's been so much snow, but it's in like-new condition and only 3 years old or something.  I think it was probably around $1500 or 2k new. 

There are a lot of people out there getting rid of great stuff just because they feel like adjusting their decor...might as well take advantage :D

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2015, 03:36:47 PM »
I purchased a couch from a coworker for $300. It's nice and long with soft cushions and has held up great for four years and counting. Before that we were using a free couch that we got shortly after moving to town. It was fine for a while, but not something we wanted in our house for the long term. It pays to be opportunistic about these things -- perhaps the perfect couch isn't on Craigslist for a great price right now, but if you're willing to wait a few months and check back periodically you can find some awesome stuff!

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2015, 05:28:29 PM »
Our present couches are expensive (discontinued Ikea Stockholm 2.5 seater), got it for 900, but I also got a custom cover. It's guaranteed for 30 years. Our basement couch is a custom hideabed sectional, made locally, cost like $2500. We don't intend to buy any new couch ever again.

Our first couch we bought in 1999, red/orange shiny with big black paisleys and spire things the cushions hooked onto. $70 used and already at least 25 years old. It lasted until our puppy in 2012.

NV Teacher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2015, 07:04:38 PM »
I bought a love seat, chair, and coffee table at the scratch and dent store in 1999 for $583.  They still look great and are very comfortable, probably because I live alone and no one really sits on them much.  I plan on keeping them until I retire and move back home.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2015, 07:23:59 PM »
Our current couch (and matching loveseat) came for free when a family member was downsizing.  We really got lucky here since the relatives have better taste than I do.  :)  They appear very durable too. 

JustTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2015, 09:12:47 PM »
I finally bought a couch new for the first time this year. I wanted a high quality couch for less than $400. (I set that as the standard, because Ikea's cheapest couch is $400, but super ugly). I managed to find one by going to a labor day tent sale at a huge furniture warehouse. It's warrantied, locally made, and attractive and I got it for <$375 after tax (about 75% off original price). President's Day weekend might be the perfect time to look for deals on furniture.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2015, 09:16:30 PM »
We paid about $800 for our couch seven years ago. It has a reclining function for the two edge seats, which partially accounts for the cost. It's holding up pretty well.

MsFrugalista

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2015, 09:23:37 PM »
We have a couch ($100) and two arm chairs ($75 both) which we bought on Craigslist. They are IKEA furniture and we have found that IKEA stuff re-sell very well, especially if you live in an area where the closest IKEA can be >30 miles away. 

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2015, 10:19:32 PM »
:-/ I've never owned a couch.

Share houses FTW

Knapptyme

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2015, 10:27:25 PM »
Current couch - $200 on Craigslist more than a year ago. It was two years old when we bought it from a single, older lady downsizing homes.

Previous couch - $100 on Craigslist, but we bought a cover for it ($80). It also came with an Ethan Allen wing back chair and ottoman that I sold for $100. It lasted us four years, and we sold it for $50 after buying the aforementioned one above.

Also in our set is a $700 rocker-recliner-swivel gift from DW's mom. To go with that, we have a large Ethan Allen chair that I picked up off the side of the road. (It has a cover on it, so it's not completely free.) The recliner we've had for five-plus years, and the chair for ten.

If you can find an Ethan Allen couch on Craigslist in your price range, go for it. It should last for a good long while.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2015, 10:55:21 PM »
We nearly bought this for $169 ... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70087108/

But then we bought this for $779 ... http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99894152/#/S09850529

We've gone months keeping our eyes out for something used and/or cheap.  We have visitors coming and decided to just friggin buy it.  I imagine it'll retain about 50% of its value for re-sale.

I'm with some of the others here who buy new upholstered furniture.  For me, the issue is allergies.  My immune system is hyper-active.  If a piece of grass so much as wafted past a pillow, or if a cat considered cozying up near the arm-rest, well then it's a piece of furniture I can't enjoy. 

Thanks for the opportunity - this sectional confessional is cathartic; I was feeling very un-mustachian as we assembled this thing yesterday. 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:00:14 PM by Malaysia41 »

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 01:33:21 AM »
I was lucky enough to inherit mine from... probably only its second owner, but depending on whether you're scoping out any vintage pieces - most modern furniture is meant to have a fairly short life and replacement cycle. Heirloom stuff can sometimes really live up to the hype. My sofa's from the 1930s, carved wooden legs and everything, and the back is still springy, and if I weren't very much in the phase of accumulating and spending relatively little time at home I'd get or make some new cushions and it'd basically be like a new sofa (though with a couple of audible creaks.)

I have zero plans to replace it, but if I ever do it will be because I've retired it to photo sessions only. I adore it even if it looks comically out of place next to the bookstore salvage shelves and castoff coffee table and outdoor folding dining set.

escolegrove

• Stubble
    • Reluctant Landlord
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 04:17:32 AM »
I love our sectional! We got it for free from a friend. That being if our friend hasn't have given us here I was going to pay $450 for a nice used one!

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 04:24:36 AM »
We recently replaced our old $350 (in 1989) couch with a reasonably nice one, but nothing extravagant (cost about $1k).

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2015, 05:57:29 AM »
I've had my couch for about 4.5 years. I paid $175 for it on Craigslist. It's still very comfortable, although my dog chewed a hole in the side of one cushion (thankfully, not visible) and my brother ripped part while moving it (mended). I've kind of outgrown the style (it has some vintage elements and that's not my thing anymore) but I don't plan to replace it anytime soon, especially since I built a really nice modern coffee table that balances out the room.

Zoot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2015, 06:11:06 AM »
Couch #1:  leather sofa with matching chair, free from a guy at work whose wife-to-be didn't like the furniture and asked him to get rid of it; I've had it for about 11 years and still love it (and the chair)

Couch #2:  cloth sofa, free from my mom, who was buying new furniture for her house; I've had it for about 3 years

Come to think of it, nearly all the furniture in my house was free, from various sources.  I did pay $150 for a queen-size sleigh-style headboard/frame at a garage sale, and $600 for a (new-to-me) king-size headboard/frame at a consignment store when I got married a couple of years ago, but I think that's it.  :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:14:24 AM by ZootsTwin »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2015, 06:32:38 AM »
$0 (both couch and loveseat). Over 10 years at this point.