Author Topic: How much did Mr Money Moustache invest each month?  (Read 3648 times)

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
How much did Mr Money Moustache invest each month?
« on: November 17, 2017, 03:05:10 AM »
As per title, does anyone know what % of income MMM invested each month, on his path to freedom?

Did he ever make a reference to this?

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
Re: How much did Mr Money Moustache invest each month?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 04:01:20 AM »
He made a blog post detailing the growth of his stache year by year.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/09/15/a-brief-history-of-the-stash-how-we-saved-from-zero-to-retirement-in-ten-years/

Is that what you’re looking for?

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 09:54:41 AM »
Thats the one, thanks!

It seems he did very well with work and so had an easier run with income than a lot of other people here. Not as straight forward for many!

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:03:49 AM »
Thats the one, thanks!

It seems he did very well with work and so had an easier run with income than a lot of other people here. Not as straight forward for many!

+ a small bump from a startup.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 10:17:03 AM »
yes dual engineering salaries helps a ton.  we're approaching his levels around the same age.  but spend more so we'll work longer.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 03:13:01 PM »
Looking at that, it does seem the two incomes were a key contributor. In year 5, they made 170K and their networth rose 100K. (I assume 170K gross, probably 100-130 net?)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 03:58:00 PM »
Looking at that, it does seem the two incomes were a key contributor. In year 5, they made 170K and their networth rose 100K. (I assume 170K gross, probably 100-130 net?)

I would wager that vast majority of the dual income households on the MMM forum are around that income as well.

It's definitely a HUGE advantage.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 04:30:54 PM »

I would wager that vast majority of the dual income households on the MMM forum are around that income as well.

It's definitely a HUGE advantage.

I'm a single parent and engineer. I feel a tinge of jealousy that some people have comparable spending to me on these forums but blow my savings rate out of the water because of dual incomes.

neil

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 05:12:34 PM »
Single/dual income isn't necessarily it; if you live with a good roommate and cook at home, most of the expenses should be similar.  Working and saving like a madman to shorten the runway just simplifies the risk of running into life events that throw the curveballs, like -

- Medical events will happen eventually.  They are obviously far less likely from 20-30 than 20-50+
- Kids, if you want them (delaying to 30 is not unreasonable)

I only recently married, but on my own I spent around twelve years building and solidifying my career.  In some hypothetical scenario where we met in college, it would actually be harder to work out career goals because we do very different work.  SO's field is not lucrative so compromises would have probably resulted in less income.  I still imagine difficulties keeping both careers optimized for maximum income when you have to compromise with the other.