Author Topic: How much clothing do you have?  (Read 8255 times)

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
How much clothing do you have?
« on: June 27, 2017, 02:12:19 PM »
I am a 40+ year old man, not particularly interested in fashion, can wear whatever I like to work, and tend to wear the same handful of shirts and few pairs of pants most of the time, both for work and around the house.  Yet I was cleaning out my dresser/closet this weekend and I discovered I own 120+ shirts and 30+ pairs of pants -- this is after I filled a laundry basket with clothes to donate.

Relatives tend to buy me clothing for birthdays and Christmas, and occasionally I'll buy some clothes when I see a great clearance price on something I like.  But I don't get rid of old clothes when I get new clothes.  Other than t-shirts, socks, and underwear, my clothes rarely seem to wear out.  Most of what I own is...fashion-neutral...and I feel largely immune to changing fashion trends.  And I've been the same size since high school, so all my old clothes still fit.

Anyway, I think my quantity of clothing is absurd.  But apart from a general attraction to minimalist principles, I'm struggling to think of a compelling reason to pare down my wardrobe.  On one hand, someone else could make better use of it, donating would net a small tax deduction, and my closet/drawers would be slightly easier to manage if they were a little less full.  On the other hand I have so much clothing that, with the exception of t-shirts, socks, and underwear, I might never have to buy another article of clothing for the rest of my life!

Now I'm a bit curious whether I'm an outlier, or whether it's common to have this much clothing.  So what's in your closet?

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
Re: How much clothing do you have?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »
A whole lot less than that.  Maybe 12 sleeveless shirts for the summer, 20 long-sleeved shirts for the rest of the year, 15-20 pairs of pants including business-casual, capris and jeans.  Also, workout wear (4 tops, 4 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of capri leggings).  I have two long skirts and one dress that are all over 20 years old.  They are clean lines and basic black so they are classics.  I keep those for weddings and funerals, and I don't go to many.

I will wear things to their inevitable death (i.e., irreparable holes).  I try to take very good care of everything I own.  I shop the clearance racks and buy quality.

But each to his own.  I can't stand spending money on something I know (or suspect) that I won't wear to the point of absolute destruction.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 06:38:29 PM »
I'm 37, and about a month ago a Facebook group formed for my 20th high school reunion. The landing page has our senior picture in it, and I realized in the picture I had on the same t-shirt I was currently wearing. I don't know how many shirts I have, but the rotation is certainly large enough so that my t-shirts last for decades.

On the other hand, I could definitely go for some more nice socks.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 06:53:12 PM »
Good question. I have a 5-drawer bureau, and 5 linear feet of closet. Inside these things are:

11 pairs of underwear
15 pairs of socks
3 bras
2 sports bras
1 pair long underwear

2 exercise tops
3 exercise shorts
1 exercise long pants

11 teeshirts
6 girl-style shirts
2 dressy shirts

4 pairs shorts
6 pairs long pants
2 pairs dressy pants
3 sleeping pants
3 boxer shorts (summer sleeping)

4 sweatshirts (my weakness. Sweatshirts with the emblem of the ships I've sailed on)

1 spring jacket
1 winter coat
1 set warterproofs (bib pants & jacket)

5 pairs of shoes (toe-shoes, boat shoes, walking shoes, dress shoes, sneakers)
2 pairs of boots (cowboy, muck)

ETA: 4 ballcaps

I wear a uniform at work, so I have (approx) 1 million pieces of uniform crap. Shirts, pants, alternate skirt, shiny blobs, nametags, shoes, alternate chick shoes, rulers, sewing kits, shoe shine kits, shoe storage bags. It's irritating to keep track of it all, but they pay me a lot of money to keep the whole ensemble looking nice.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:22:07 PM by Sailor Sam »

Alf91

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 07:34:10 PM »
6-8 pairs of pants
4-5 pairs of shorts
12-15 tshirts
10-12 sweaters

(This feels like a lot to me).

plus undergarments, pajamas, etc

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 07:50:02 PM »
Pants/Skirts/Dresses: 5
Shirts: 4
Sweaters: 1.5
Jackets: 0
Bras: 1
Undies: 12
Socks: 12

It feels like the optimal amount for me.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
Hahahaha!

Everything fits into a 6-foot closet and a single bureau.
I work from home, except for infrequent travel to client sites, and I exercise a lot, often in ways that require somewhat specialized clothing. I do not wear exercise clothing for non-exercise activity, although I frequently work in shorts and a shirt. I bike commute around my extremely casual town, so that dictates a bit about clothing. Within the limitations of wearing shorts all summer, I try to dress somewhat like a reasonable grown-up. (So reasonable-looking shirts and non-stretchy waistbands, mostly.)

I have 6 feet of closet space, divided nicely between a tower of shelves (containing sweaters, jewelry, shoes, and miscellaneous sleep and exercise clothing - in this case mostly very cold-weather stuff, i.e. fleece tights and rain pants for skiing- and some hanging space for a few dresses, some work clothes for when I have to travel, and a bit of other clothing that needs to hang, and one bureau that's 5 drawers: top (undies including sports tanks, and scarves), socks, tops, bottoms, and the bottom drawer is more athletic stuff (bike shorts and tops, yoga/pilates bottoms, sports bras, swim stuff)

Pants I wear all the time: 5-6 pairs, and about 6 pairs of shorts that I wear most of the summer. There's a pair of leather pants and a pair of suede pants hanging for fancier activities. I still have a couple of skirts that I wear very, very infrequently. Three or four pair of work-appropriate pants for work-related travel.
Tops: 5 or 6 of each: sleeveless, short-sleeved, long-sleeved, and another 5 zip-neck tops that I wear under sweaters in the winter and as a top layer on cool evenings in the summer. (Another 6 or so hanging short sleeved dressy tops and 6 or so long-sleeved overshirts, and a few really fancy outfits for work and infrequent socializing.)
Sweaters: haha, I have a problem with buying cashmere/merino sweaters at thrift shops. On the other hand, they're all visible (none get put "away"), and I rotate through them in the winter. I should clean out some more. I also have a couple of ultra-heavy sweaters for the part of winter when I'm working from home and the office gets down to 50-something during the day.
Jackets: 6-8, ranging from waterproof rain jacket to a lovely boiled wool jacket for nicer-looking winter wear, and several work jackets. 1 jeans jacket I've had since high school.

The upside: after Kondo-ing several times, I have a few coats in the front coat closet (that get frequent use) and everything else fits in my closet + my bureau with plenty of space and no cramming. (Including a good long wool coat and a long dressy raincoat <- which I probably will never wear, and should get off the computer and go stick into the giveaway bag.)

The metric for keeping is: do I like/love it? Do I actually use it? Do I feel good when I wear it? I actually just gave away a shirt that I like except that it was just a little short, and I'm too damn old to have my belly sticking out when I reach for stuff.

You are inspiring me to get off the computer and go clean out my closet again.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 09:40:22 PM »
This feels like confession time. I have been on a self-imposed shopping ban for the past 2.5 years, with really good success. However, there's no way in hell I could ever wear out all of my clothes. My closet (for the past ten years) is the small bedroom in my 1200 sf, 3-bedroom bungalow. I want to go back to a dresser and a regular closet, but I *might* have a problem with letting clothing and footwear go (at least the shopping problem is finished!). A year or so ago, a blog I was reading about minimalist wardrobes suggested to write down all of the clothes in your possession. So I did. And now I have a use (?) for it! It has not changed materially since then:

FOOTWEAR = 97
Boots: 20
Flat shoes: 36
Heels: 28
Sports (incl gym shoes, skates, etc.): 13

COATS/JACKETS = 27

DRESSES = 31

SWEATERS = 79

BELTS = 35

SKIRTS = 18

PANTS = 56

BLAZERS = 5

SHIRTS (all styles) = 170

WORKOUT TOPS/BOTTOMS = 34 + 16

COUNTLESS socks, underwear, scarves, hats, sunglasses, jewelry...

When it's all laid out above by numbers, I feel sick and ashamed about it. I am hoping that putting it out here will spur me to take some action on paring it down. I wear about 10% of it, dress casually for work, and plan for this to be my last workplace. Like the OP, I find it hard to get rid of clothes; however, this quantity is just atrocious. Time to let go of some things and perhaps have a multi-purpose room instead of a closet!

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 11:06:27 PM »
Single 48 year old guy.  My only advice is to get rid of stuff you don't like or don't/won't wear.  If you like it and wear it and have room for it, just keep it.

I have:

18 short sleeved shirts (twice what I need, but about half are my son's - we partially share closet space)
8 long sleeved dress shirts (easily twice what I need, left over from when I used to work)
9 long sleeved casual shirts (twice what I need, but I get them from the Red Cross for donating platelets)
10 casual pants (6 pairs of which are jeans that are too tight, so I should get rid of them)
1 dress slacks (when I have to dress nicely)
6 pairs of shorts (all of which are too tight, but I wear them in the summer anyways)
5 coats/sweaters/sweatshirts
11 workout items (shorts, running shirts, running tights)
5 pairs of shoes
2 hats

So overall I could get by on about half of what I have.  Lately I've been getting itchy to do some decluttering but I'm sort of waiting on that until my son moves out and I can more easily see what can be donated or sold.  Plus, I'm lazy and it doesn't bother me that much to have extra clothes since I have plenty of room in my closet.  If I pared down by half my closet would look pretty sparse; not really a good reason to avoid doing something, but, well, there you have it.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 12:05:01 AM »
You're a guy, so I will give you my husband's rundown. (My wardrobe is similar in size.)

Five pairs of jeans
Two pairs of chinos
A dozen business shirts
A dozen t-shirts
Five pairs of gym shorts
Five gym singlets
Three pairs of casual shorts
One suit
Six merino jumpers
Three hoodies
Three pairs of trackies
Six jackets

Less than a dozen pairs of shoes, and we could cull those some more. Ninety-five per cent of the time he is in Metcons or riding boots, and the other five per cent is thongs and soccer boots.

This thread has motivated me to sort through my wardrobe again. Some scary, scary numbers in here.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »
I'm thinking the definition of thongs must be different in the US vs Oz.

ETA: Yes. Very different.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2017, 07:34:03 AM »
Wow...with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, I'm definitely an outlier in this thread.  If my clothestache were a result of a shopping addiction, or if it required an enormous amount of space to hold it all, I'd probably feel like it were a problem to be addressed.  But like jeninco, it all fits neatly in 6 linear feet along the back wall of my closet and one 30"x48"x24" dresser.  I've probably averaged $100/year or less on clothing over the last 20 years.

I think as long as I'm comfortable with the amount of clothing I have, I'll just preserve the status quo by donating or throwing away my least favorite item every time I buy a new item or one is gifted to me.  Actually I've already started to do this: I was recently gifted a shirt which I immediately recognized as my least favorite shirt that I owned, and it went right into the donation pile.  :D

The upside: after Kondo-ing several times...

The metric for keeping is: do I like/love it? Do I actually use it? Do I feel good when I wear it?...

Kondo's book is partially responsible for my closet cleanout.  I was already starting to declutter my house when I read her book, and while I'm not fully on board with all her recommendations, she helped me "unwant" certain things that I had been accumulating, and I'm glad to be rid of them.

For clothes, I have many, many items that I like but don't use.  I've tried on every single item of clothing I own (yes, this took quite a while) to verify that it fits and that I can envision wearing it at some point.  I did end up with an overflowing laundry basket full of donations.  But the remaining 120+ shirts and 30+ pairs of pants I kept, because I like them and will hopefully make use of in the future.

I'm glad this thread inspired you.  Did you end up getting rid of anything?

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 07:51:21 AM »
This thread has motivated me to sort through my wardrobe again. Some scary, scary numbers in here.

Awesome, and good luck!  :)

Out of curiosity, are the numbers scary to you because they evoke an image of extreme hoarding, unmustachian consumerism, or huge/messy piles of clothing?  None of those are true in my case at any rate.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 08:09:46 AM »
Over the last several years I've whittled my wardrobe down to what fits in my 4 foot wide closet and one chest of drawers.  I no longer have to change my closet depending on the season.  I also got rid of all but one item of "dry clean only" clothing.  The huge benefit on this is time saving;  it only takes a minute for me to glance through my clothes and decide what to wear or what to pack for a trip. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 08:16:25 AM »
I keep 50-60 items on those thin, flocked "velvet"hangers in a walk-in closet with 8 feet of rail space. That includes outerwear--I live in a four-season climate. Clothing is mostly casual tees/tanks/3/4 sleeves and slacks/shorts, with "Sunday" combos a little nicer, and a couple dressy tops/slacks, dresses, and one skirt. I have one formal gown that I hang in my bedroom as wall art. No dresser, but I have two attractive baskets 15" by 14". They look like handmade ethnic baskets, but they're from the Dollar Store. One is for underwear--maybe 12 knickers, 3 bras, a few pairs of nylons and tights-- and sundries like double-stick tape, small sewing kit. Tthe other is for out-of-season sweaters, hats, gloves,  and mending. A dozen pairs of footwear suitable to the different seasons of the year.

I'm a big fan of one-bag travel, and lightening up my packing lead to more awareness about my "home" wardrobe. I lightened that up, too--made sure everything is in "my" colors, fits well, and is relatively easy to take care of. If I make any mistakes, I donate the item to charity.

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 08:18:30 AM »
I live in four-season climates. (Just came from one that hits minus 40 C winter to plus 40 C summer.) I just layer up those clothes I have.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »
26 year old fashion-clueless dude checking in:

7-8 "business casual" shirts
3-4 T-shirts
1 pair of jeans
1 pair of "nice pants"
1 pair of "workout"/"sleepwear" pants
1 belt
1 pair of shoes
socks and underwear, about enough to match the laundry cycle that my clothing quantity necessitates.

Two Lands-End heavier winter-appropriate shirts (that enter the rotation in the winter months)
1 heavy winter jacket
1 light branded-with-work-logo jacket (barely wear this ever, but it was free)

Four fancy suit jackets and pants (from my dad; we're built exactly the same)

I usually get about 1 "business casual" shirt from my mom for Christmas each year.  I haven't bought one of those for myself since 2014 (and that was at a thrift store).

T-shirts are all from high school/college, none newer than 2011.

Jeans were from Goodwill, about three months ago.

New shoes about every 18 months ($17 from Costco).

Same belt since 2012.

Bought new socks last year (exciting), but my newest pairs of underwear were a Christmas gift from my girlfriend's sister in 2013 (I promise that's not as weird as it sounds).

It all fits hung up in about half a small closet.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 10:35:41 AM »
Wow...with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions, I'm definitely an outlier in this thread.  If my clothestache were a result of a shopping addiction, or if it required an enormous amount of space to hold it all, I'd probably feel like it were a problem to be addressed.  But like jeninco, it all fits neatly in 6 linear feet along the back wall of my closet and one 30"x48"x24" dresser.  I've probably averaged $100/year or less on clothing over the last 20 years.

I think as long as I'm comfortable with the amount of clothing I have, I'll just preserve the status quo by donating or throwing away my least favorite item every time I buy a new item or one is gifted to me.  Actually I've already started to do this: I was recently gifted a shirt which I immediately recognized as my least favorite shirt that I owned, and it went right into the donation pile.  :D

The upside: after Kondo-ing several times...

The metric for keeping is: do I like/love it? Do I actually use it? Do I feel good when I wear it?...

Kondo's book is partially responsible for my closet cleanout.  I was already starting to declutter my house when I read her book, and while I'm not fully on board with all her recommendations, she helped me "unwant" certain things that I had been accumulating, and I'm glad to be rid of them.

For clothes, I have many, many items that I like but don't use.  I've tried on every single item of clothing I own (yes, this took quite a while) to verify that it fits and that I can envision wearing it at some point.  I did end up with an overflowing laundry basket full of donations.  But the remaining 120+ shirts and 30+ pairs of pants I kept, because I like them and will hopefully make use of in the future.

I'm glad this thread inspired you.  Did you end up getting rid of anything?

Yep - the aforementioned long raincoat (with liner), a couple of shirts, and a jacket that I bought back when I was wearing oversized stuff. (I prefer more fitted clothing now, plus it was moderately itchy wool.) And a shirt that someone I love gave me, but that I will honestly never wear -- it can be released into the wild where hopefully someone who wants to wear it will snap it up.

Looked through some other things, but, like you, I'm pretty much left with things that I like and which fit and flatter me. I have room, so I can keep some stuff to allow for changes in my desire for stylishness.

(Not sure if that was for me, but :^)  )

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 12:03:15 PM »
Yep - the aforementioned long raincoat (with liner), a couple of shirts, and a jacket that I bought back when I was wearing oversized stuff. (I prefer more fitted clothing now, plus it was moderately itchy wool.) And a shirt that someone I love gave me, but that I will honestly never wear -- it can be released into the wild where hopefully someone who wants to wear it will snap it up.

Nice work.  I also let go of a really nice wool sweater last year...too itchy.  :(  And with my latest declutter I did donate two shirts that had sentimental value but I never wore -- one was gift, one was a concert t-shirt that I bought on one of my first dates with my then-girlfriend/now-wife more than 20 years ago.  I like the idea of passing these onto someone who might actually use them.

(Not sure if that was for me, but :^)  )

It was -- thanks for the update!  :)

SaveSpendGiveALittle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
I can dress business casual to work and wear the same pair of jeans to work everyday. I own one pair at a time until I wear a hole into them. Then I rotate 10 different shirts.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 10:21:57 PM »

Short answer - too much:) Mr. R. has five big drawers of T-shirts, a closet full of jeans, dress pants and mostly casual short sleeved shirts and maybe 2 long sleeved dress shirts.
I try to update and hit his side of the closet once every two years. He got on board as of last year, so it has become an easy two hour clothes review. Toss what doesn't fit, isn't liked or torn. Donate nice stuff or give to my son if appropriate.

Me - I'm about to tackle my side of the closet again. It's not over the top, but it is in need of sorting out, thrash and donation. My problem is that I've kept too many comfortable tops the last time, thinking they would make good night wear:) It is all leaving the house shortly - not even fit for donation - what was I thinking?

We each have 4ft of hanging closet space, which I do consider adequate since we both have cabinet/drawer space as well. Purging is imminent - I may come back and let you know exact numbers.

... and no, I don't think I would keep clothing just because I had the space. I'd rather have extra empty space for something nice to come into my life:) or just enjoy the empty space - it's sheer pleasure to have room with no need to cram your clothes into a tiny space. 

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 03:29:52 AM »
I don't have a count, but we are in the middle of a cross country move.

I have 6" of hanging stuff (pushed together snugly).

I have one carry on sized suitcase + 1 regular sized Rubbermaid tub.

That includes regular shoes but not snow gear or coats.

It's lovely not to have much.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2017, 05:06:56 AM »
I've gotten rid of most of mine over the past year. Only kept what I actually wear.

T-shirts: about 5
long sleeve shirts: about 5
pants: 4 pair
shorts: 3 pair
socks: 6 pair
underwear: commando
jackets: 2
couple of running shorts and shirts
footwear: maybe 5 pair total
one ballcap

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »
Anyway, I think my quantity of clothing is absurd.
You're probably not actually in the absurd range -- google "closet" on Pinterest, and you'll see Absurd with a capital A; however, you do have more than I do.  I'm in the process of cleaning out /sprucing up my closet right now, and I just counted my hanging items yesterday (because I'm going with all matching hangers):  I have 60-something items hanging and a 3' dresser with folded clothing. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2017, 05:31:21 PM »

Short answer - too much:)

This is my answer too. It's a rare person indeed who has too few clothes.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2017, 05:34:50 PM »
Pants/Skirts/Dresses: 5
Shirts: 4
Sweaters: 1.5
Jackets: 0
Bras: 1
Undies: 12
Socks: 12

It feels like the optimal amount for me.

1.5 sweaters?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2017, 07:50:37 PM »
I had two, so I could layer them together in winter.
Then my son needed a sweater so I gave him one.
Occasionally I borrow it back, so I think it's 1.5 :)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2017, 08:42:10 PM »

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2017, 08:52:25 PM »
I have like no clothes (for work). Lived in scrubs. Current job can't use scrubs. :-O

I live in jeans and tshirts. 3-5 jeans, lots of band tees (5-7). Lots of sweats. 3 pairs slacks. Maybe 3 blouses. Lots of hiking pants/shorts. 2 dresses. Tank tops. 5 flannels.  3 bras. Socks/underwear. Sweatshirt. 3 shorts. But thats only cuz I recently went shopping.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2017, 09:35:43 PM »
I just sorted through my clothing and donated seven bags of clothes to the St. Vincent De Paul Society. I went through a clothing binge-buying phase about a decade ago where I decided to buy absolutely every fashion in GQ, which was completely moronic. Most of it was rarely worn and then I lost a whole lot of weight so none of it fit me anymore anyway. It's nice to have my wardrobe simplified and when I need to purchase new costuming for my job I'll just go to the thrift shop.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2017, 01:35:36 PM »
When I semi-retired 5 years ago I got rid of most of my clothes that I wore to work. I also only kept a few dress up pants, sweaters and shirts as I live in jeans, capris, etc now.  WE have 4 mild seasons. I was surprised when I counted that I still have 40 shirts.  Half are for summer and half for winter. I only like to wash my clothes about every 3 weeks so it works for me. I have 10 sweaters and 3 pairs of jeans and eight capris. Some of the numbers here seem crazy high or low.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2017, 03:31:16 PM »
Not needing dedicated "work clothes" helps me keep my numbers low. But I make sure I have a few nicer "Sunday" clothes--and that I can always be dressed appropriately at a wedding or a funeral.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2017, 05:22:52 PM »

Short answer - too much:)

This is my answer too. It's a rare person indeed who has too few clothes.

Love this.

And this! :)

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
A lot more than I need... but this is due to lifestyle changes.
I used to wear nice office clothes daily and live somewhere with an actual winter.
Now I wear uniforms and have no real winter.
I've elected to keep all of my weather inappropriate clothes (pushed to one side of my wardrobe) on the basis I am on a 3 year contract and will likely move at the end of the contract. Even if only 10% of what I kept is useful to me in the future, it's ok as it's not bothering me (I have loads of cupboard space and am otherwise minimalist fairly minimalist). It's a few hundred (or thousand) I won't spend in the future. I'll happily wear them again when I return to a colder climate. They're also useful when I go on holidays (although far in excess of my needs). If my tastes drastically change over the next three years and I can't imagine anything worse than wearing (for example) my $300 leather biker jacket, I'll give away or sell these items. But for now, I like them, and imagine I will continue to in the future so there is no value in offloading them. It also gives me an incentive to maintain my weight, which given I like food translates into "incentive to bike places and go hiking" which makes for a happier me :-)

I'd file half your clothes away - all the duplicates basically, that 2nd white shirt, 2nd pair of black jeans etc -(vaccum suction bags are great) and then "shop" the bags when something breaks.

Abe

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2017, 11:19:14 PM »
I hate clothing clutter due to my parents' love of clothes-shopping. Just donated 4 trash bags worth of clothing before a cross-country move. Afterwards, I'm left with:
4 suits
14 dress shirts
10 short sleeve shirts
10 pants (same as above)
4 jackets of various thicknesses
<10 assorted other clothes (swim shorts, etc)
4 pairs of shoes

I theoretically only need to do laundry twice a month.

spicykissa

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2017, 08:05:51 PM »
I have an entirely too detailed list of every single item written down. In broad categories:

28 "dress clothes" (dresses, sweaters, slacks, skirts--stuff for professional meetings, weddings, funerals, fancy parties)
7 outerwear (coats x2, bags x3, gloves, scarf)
28 unmentionables (undies, bras, swimsuits, lingerie)
16 tops (mostly T-shirts/tank-tops)
11 bottoms (jeans, yoga pants, shorts)
6 pairs of scrubs
11 pairs of socks
6 pairs of shoes (sneakers x2, boots, flip-flops, flats, heels)

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2017, 06:57:13 PM »
If I've learned anything from this thread, it's that I have too much clothing.

I do pretty well with bottoms - about 6 pairs of shorts, 5-6 pairs of pants, and 2 capris. Shirts are my weakness. I want to cull my long-sleeved shirt collection, but I'm waiting until it gets cold out to see which ones I tend to wear. I find just trying them on doesn't always work - sometimes it may look/feel good, but after wearing it for a day, I find out it rides up, hangs funny when I move around, etc. I'm hoping to get down to 5-6 sweaters and 8-10 long-sleeved shirts.