Author Topic: How many of you work paid overtime?  (Read 23769 times)

Rube

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How many of you work paid overtime?
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2014, 10:48:53 PM »
I was just talking to the wife at dinner tonight about how much 'extra work" I should continue to take on. I'm salaried and don't have overtime per se but every so often have the opportunity to spend a couple of hours collecting an embarrassing hourly rate at an off site location. Those opportunities are sometimes few and far between but when big expenses come up I think about them in terms of those of those blocks of time. The only downsides are that they're usually weekends and there's sometimes 90 minutes of commuting to the various locations.

zataks

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2014, 11:29:50 PM »
I'm always a little reluctant to share my OT arrangement because, if you're willing to work the hours, it's very good.  Here goes:
Everything over core 40 hours (or 10 hours in a given day) is 1.5x
Anything over 8 continuous hours of OT is paid out @ 2x
Sundays pay 2x (unless regularly schedule Sunday)
Holidays pay 3x
Night shift (my current shift) pays extra 10%.

Not often that things like this come up but last week I was required to work 7 days straight, 12 hour shifts each day.  Yikes!  But it's helping pay debt off faster and push me toward FI!

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2014, 02:48:00 AM »
I was just talking to the wife at dinner tonight about how much 'extra work" I should continue to take on. I'm salaried and don't have overtime per se but every so often have the opportunity to spend a couple of hours collecting an embarrassing hourly rate at an off site location. Those opportunities are sometimes few and far between but when big expenses come up I think about them in terms of those of those blocks of time. The only downsides are that they're usually weekends and there's sometimes 90 minutes of commuting to the various locations.

My husband asks me that occasionally. We're debt free and have reached the 25x annual spending amount, so it's always up to him. Any over time is his play, unaccountable money i.e. trips for class reunions, extra holiday cash, wants vs needs spending. My overtime is my money that goes toward sinking car fund, increase savings, college for grandchildren.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2014, 05:51:41 AM »
I am not salaried, nor am I paid hourly, I am actually paid on a day rate.  Most jobs, I work at 12 hour shift, and sometimes I am alone, and required to work 24 hours a day.  The pay is the same, no matter how much I work.

Most of the time, my job is easy, and I get to play on the internet/watch TV most of the day, but that is punctuated by some days of shear stress.  I never get OT, I am just required to do the job that needs to be done.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2014, 06:41:34 AM »
I'm paid hourly, and I get 1.5x pay for overtime past 40 hours. I'm required to work a minimum of 45 hours a week, sometimes more, due to the factory's production schedule. Everybody there does 45 hours minimum, some do much more than that depending on the department.

I refuse to take a salaried position again, because they don't pay overtime for salaried people. And I don't work for free for anybody but myself.

NewStachian

• Stubble
    • VarsityFinances
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2014, 07:46:30 AM »
I have 40 hour work week with an optional 0-8 hours of overtime. Right now I'm capping it out every week and adding 100% of the extra pay to investments.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2014, 08:26:03 AM »
I'm always a little reluctant to share my OT arrangement because, if you're willing to work the hours, it's very good.  Here goes:
Everything over core 40 hours (or 10 hours in a given day) is 1.5x
Anything over 8 continuous hours of OT is paid out @ 2x
Sundays pay 2x (unless regularly schedule Sunday)
Holidays pay 3x
Night shift (my current shift) pays extra 10%.

Not often that things like this come up but last week I was required to work 7 days straight, 12 hour shifts each day.  Yikes!  But it's helping pay debt off faster and push me toward FI!

CHA-CHING zataks !!! :) FI is looming I am sure! :)  I try to take as much OT these days as possible for the same reason!

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2014, 08:27:08 AM »
I have 40 hour work week with an optional 0-8 hours of overtime. Right now I'm capping it out every week and adding 100% of the extra pay to investments.

A little pain now ... well done!!! :)

Matte

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2014, 06:02:26 PM »
Gotta say my ot arrangement is pretty cushy.  I'm in oil and union.  Plant operates 24/7 I work 3 on 3 off 12 hour shifts days and nights.  Anything outside of my 38 hour scheduled work week is double time.  I work about 350 hrs a year, most work over 500hrs.  Any schedule change with less than 2 weeks is overtime, stats are triple time. I think it really helps achieve fi and helps knock my mortgage down big time. At 95 an hour of rate at 12 hour shifts its over 1100 a shift (700 post tax), very hard to turn down (even though I do for family and sunny days all the time).

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2014, 06:03:29 AM »
Gotta say my ot arrangement is pretty cushy.  I'm in oil and union.  Plant operates 24/7 I work 3 on 3 off 12 hour shifts days and nights.  Anything outside of my 38 hour scheduled work week is double time.  I work about 350 hrs a year, most work over 500hrs.  Any schedule change with less than 2 weeks is overtime, stats are triple time. I think it really helps achieve fi and helps knock my mortgage down big time. At 95 an hour of rate at 12 hour shifts its over 1100 a shift (700 post tax), very hard to turn down (even though I do for family and sunny days all the time).

Are they hiring?  I'm willing to relocate to just about anywhere :-p

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2014, 11:24:15 PM »
Salaried... and we probably all do work more than 40h/week.

HOWEVER we have an out-of-hours duty component that has both an on-call fee (small, flat rate) and then call-in fees (which increases after midnight). It's a pest being called in at 1:00am however the pay per hour more than makes up for the inconvenience.

Davin

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2014, 05:09:45 PM »
I try to put in 10 hours of overtime a week. I get paid time and a half for any work over 8 hours a day or 40 in a week. It is the sweet spot in my balancing act. Any more than 50 hours of work in a week and I start to feel like I am wasting my life working, any less I begin to fear that I will have to work for the rest of my life.

panthalassa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2014, 05:37:56 PM »
I work 12 hour shifts and oh boy is it worth my time to work extra shifts.  Not only do I get paid double time but I can bank them and use them as vacation.  That way you don't get hit with paying extra tax and you get vacation.  It's pretty much the sweetest deal ever.

I have the same deal! The bonus is with 12 hour shifts you mostly only work 3 days per week full time, which means with one overtime shift a week it's still only 4 days with 3 days off. I know the hours add up, but as far as I'm concerned getting up and to work is the hardest part, once you're there you may as well stay all day.

I walk to work.  It takes me a grueling 3 minutes to get to the hospital. :) I love my job and my commute!

LadyStache

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2014, 06:34:23 PM »
I work OT and it is not optional. We have an OT schedule and are assigned 3-5 hour OT shifts on a rotating basis, in addition to the random times we need to stay late to finish a project.

Stachesquatch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »
Another Oil/Gas worker- 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off (100% personal time! no work duties unless at site).  The catch is that when I'm at work it is 12.5 hrs/day for 21 days straight, which comes to 40 hrs regular and 47.5 hrs OT a week. We have to pay our flights to and from work, but the take home pay comes out to a higher rate than other markets. The time off is amazing - I do 'lose' 18 days a year traveling to and from work (9 hitches per year) but have 160 days off at home to myself and make more than double the closer to home work wages (which would require leaving home anyway). I won't move 'closer to work' because it's not an option, while Deadhorse, Alaska is a town on the map there are no residential real estate opportunities beyond crazy expensive hotels. My wife doesn't want to move to other parts of AK.  This is not the most mustachian work setup but the unique earning opportunity has kept me in this setup, our savings grow faster than any other work option.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2014, 02:59:02 PM »
I get quite a bit of overtime at my job (lineman). Some of it is scheduled but most of it is power outages. We can go months without much at all or get slammed with several storms and work like freaking crazy for weeks at a time. The cool thing is every call is a minimum of 2 hours. I've been on some that have taken all of 15 minutes. 2 hours of 1.5x-2x pay for driving across town and replacing a fuse.... Yes please

Update... Today is shaping up to be a pretty good one for OT. we have a small beef packing plant here in town and they wanted the power shut off so they could do maintenance. I got paid 2 hours to drive across town about a mile and a half and pull a fuse and here when they call me when they are done I'll drive over and put the fuse back in for another two hours. Sunday is always double time so I'm working 30 minutes today and basically get a whole days pay 4 hours total at 2x my rate. Cha Ching!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 11:54:22 AM by Hedge_87 »

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2014, 06:18:14 PM »
I'm a contractor with a big company and get paid 1.5 overtime.  I don't do too much 0T though.  I've probably have no more than 20 hours this year.  I will receive an offer to become a direct hire with the company.  I've been told my offer will include a raise but I'll be salaried so no more OT.  I'll also get some benefits so I'll probably make out better in terms of overall compensation.  I do worry they will work me more now they don't have to pay OT though.  They keep mentioning they are giving me a raise because they anticipate more work for me due to some "problems" with some co-workers.

beachbound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2015, 01:25:22 PM »
First post (necro aware)!

I work for State gov’t in IT (paid hourly and 1.5x for OT) and have a nice budget to work OT. We have a bid process for working OT on the weekends (day/evening/graveyard), and lately I’ve been working a shift per weekend (from home and I always pick Sunday 7am-3pm when I have first pick). 

While I’m working I always grunt on how much I hate OT and that I could be spending time with my toddler playing and riding bike with him, or going to a picnic at a park with the gorgeous weather we have right now, rather than being stuck here in my office.  I occasionally come out for 20 minutes or so per hour, but I have to constantly check my email for ad hoc requests.  And my son constantly demands my attention, so it’s hard to focus sometimes.

I might just bid once a month for a Sunday, which I can tolerate.  It seems like I’m looking for a work/life balance, and working OT every weekend isn’t making me any happier.  Paying off the debt is what is keeping me motivated to work OT (debt is almost gone If I were single with no kids?  Yeah, I’d be racking up the OT, for sure.

This post written from my home office on Memorial Day in my pajamas while the wife is going to attempt to use the grill!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2015, 01:37:37 PM »
I work unpaid overtime.

Epry123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »
I work at a beef packing plant and in our busier season in working 80+ hours in 6 days and our "slower" time of year still pushing about 60ish in 5 days.
Anything after 8 and anything after 40 is over time the nicest part about it is I can work virtually as much overtime I want which makes those Minnesota winters fly by

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2015, 05:23:07 PM »
I've worked in IT for 25 years and have been an exempt employeed with much unpaid overtime.

A couple of years ago, my employer of 14 years put a bunch of different job titles into one category that got overtime. I usually put a few hours OT each week, but occassionally have a weekend project that causes me to put in 10+ hours of OT. Overall, I might bring home $200 to $1200 OT a paycheck. It is helping my tight budget as I try to pay off the house by January, giving my Mrs $5K/month.

Epry123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2015, 05:44:03 PM »
A question that may be relevant to this thread.
   There may be a situation coming up in my future where I have to negotiate from being an hourly employee to a salary employee any theories on tactics with this one?

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2015, 05:22:39 AM »
I'm salaried but still get overtime on the rare occasions I work it (at straight time). Given how much you work I would want to make sure there's an hours-pay relationship even if you're technically salaried.

protostache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2015, 06:03:16 AM »
I'm an independent consultant, so OT usually means bringing more work in. My steady clients pay the expenses, including my salary and SEP contributions, so anything extra I decide to take on gets paid out in my monthly profit distribution.

That said, I don't take on extra very often. I remarked to DW the other day that at this point we're semi-retired (I generally work two full days a week and she works three). We're really enjoying the lifestyle (still building toward FI with my SEP and her Roth) but not feeling any real rush.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2015, 07:17:06 AM »
How many of you get your overtime from on-call work?  In other words, you never know when (or if) you'll get the OT hours.  If you do get any OT, it's from getting an urgent phone call to look at something that can't wait until the next morning.

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: May 26, 2015, 09:01:49 AM »
I work for the federal government. I get paid for overtime  (just regular salary but more on holidays), but it has to be specifically approved, so usually just if I'm traveling or working in an emergency situation. I can't just work extra hours for extra money if I don't have a specific reason, although I can work a few extra hours for extra leave.

My husband on the other hand is expected to work overtime all the time for no compensation. His company is understaffed and his bosses have no incentive to hire people because they can just work their current employees 60 hour weeks for no extra cost (and profit off of the extra work). Drives us nuts. Which is why he is leaving and going to work for himself...

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2015, 11:15:12 AM »
...His company is understaffed and his bosses have no incentive to hire people because they can just work their current employees 60 hour weeks for no extra cost (and profit off of the extra work)...

I have worked crazy meet-the-deadline overtime, over the decades, including sleeping on the floor in my cube for a few hours overnight, so I could pick right back up on a programming project that ran over a few weeks. My limit for OT nuttiness is like 2 months.

Now that I work from home and get paid overtime, and don't have to do it too much, I'm OK.

If I work for an understaffed place, I won't keep working more and more hours for months and months to keep up. If they don't feel that the resouce triangle has limits, they'll just keep abusing the staff. So, I make a point of doing more than my job but not finding time to get to everything. This led to my customer hiring 5 contractors to handle the main part of a web migration project since I wouldn't fit it in with everything else I was doing.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2015, 07:00:43 AM »
A question that may be relevant to this thread.
   There may be a situation coming up in my future where I have to negotiate from being an hourly employee to a salary employee any theories on tactics with this one?

If it were me, it would have to be either 1. a LOT more money to make up for occasional overtime, or 2. actual paid overtime. It really depends on how flexible the employer is, and how they handle it.

Also, it's possible they could promise one thing and then rake you over the coals, so make sure you get it in writing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!