Author Topic: How many of you work paid overtime?  (Read 23772 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
How many of you work paid overtime?
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:04:01 PM »
I work as a salaried employee but my department occasionally has the option for optional overtime (paid, at 1.5x my normal hourly rate, but also factors into 401k match and any year-end bonus, so it is closer to 1.65x hourly compensation).

This works out to about $500 a week if I work 10 hours.

I'm already saving $1k a month for a house after maxing a 401k/HSA so it's not like I need the money. It translates to only $200 or so takehome pay per week, which is not insignificant but hard to motivate me to be gone more.

I guess working 10 hours paid overtime each week would let me roughly double my house savings rate. I'm never sure how to evaluate this and am curious what others think.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How many of you work paid overtime?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 08:25:07 PM »
You already know what the monetary benefits are. So I think when evaluating it from here you need to look at how you feel about it on a personal level. It depends on how you feel about being at work longer, and if it's worth it to you. If you hate your job and you are miserable at work it might not be worth it. But if you either like or don't mind your job, the extra money can make up for a lot IMO. I work overtime every other week as part of my regular schedule (I work five 12 hour shifts in a row), and I love the big pay check. We also have to cover shifts a lot, so that's additional overtime. It makes work a lot more tolerable knowing I am being paid time and a half. Working overtime also bumps up my vacation pay, so that's another bonus. So for me it's not only worth it, I count on the overtime. The more overtime I work, the more I am able to save, and the closer I get to FIRE.

My only question is about the two separate numbers for overtime. You said you make an extra $500 a week if you work overtime, but take home pay is only $200? Do you really lose 60% of your pay to taxes? If part of the difference is extra 401k money and a larger year end bonus, then it's definitely helping you out in the end. I'd factor that into my decision.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:32:47 PM »
My only question is about the two separate numbers for overtime. You said you make an extra $500 a week if you work overtime, but take home pay is only $200? Do you really lose 60% of your pay to taxes? If part of the difference is extra 401k money and a larger year end bonus, then it's definitely helping you out in the end. I'd factor that into my decision.

Hmm, I guess I somewhat incorrectly factored my 401k reductions in (I'm on pace to max it out this year with no overtime, so this will be "reclaimed" at year end when I stop contributing). So with that and a 25+8+7.65=40% marginal tax rate it's a pretty big hit on take-home pay.

So the actual effect on my yearly pay is closer to just the 40% tax hit, so about $300 in takehome per week. That's probably the better way of thinking about it... woops.

spoonman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 08:42:06 PM »
I do, here and there.  The extra hours are paid at the same rate and I have to work at least 8 extra hours for the week to claim OT.  There are people in the company that sometimes work extra hours and don't get paid for it, but I always demand to get paid.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 09:53:30 PM »
I could work over time if I wanted to. But I really really don't want to. I would if it's a Company holiday so I can get 2.5x my hourly rate but other than OT squeezes my soul dead.

Ambergris

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »
It's not really overtime, but I can get some additional money for teaching in the summer.  The main issue with doing this is that it cuts into research time - contrary to popular belief, academics have to use their summers to do all their non-teaching work.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:20:16 AM »
I have started to work as much overtime as possible our rate is 1.75xour normal rate which ends up being about a $300 take home each additional 7.5 hour shift worked ... Since I have so little time to work now until the baby comes the extra $$ is getting put on paying off debt.

Normally I work a 12 hour shift so coming in for the 7.5 makes the day seem very short ...

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 06:54:54 AM »
I work in a university - so I do cover lessons, invigilations, preparation and marking for extra pay whenever it's available. A lot of it is between lessons anyway, so I don't necessarily have to spend more time at work.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 07:28:54 AM »
I work in a university - so I do cover lessons, invigilations, preparation and marking for extra pay whenever it's available. A lot of it is between lessons anyway, so I don't necessarily have to spend more time at work.

American academics do all that for free. Well, except I don't know what an invigilation is ; is it painful? :-)

Edit... Looked it up. We call it "proctoring," and it's boring, but not painful. Done for free, usually as a courtesy to a colleague who can't proctor his or her own exam for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:32:22 AM by Rural »

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 07:39:12 AM »
I'm salaried, but every hour over 37.5 hours/week I earn equivalent paid leave/comp time.

panthalassa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 09:02:27 AM »
I work 12 hour shifts and oh boy is it worth my time to work extra shifts.  Not only do I get paid double time but I can bank them and use them as vacation.  That way you don't get hit with paying extra tax and you get vacation.  It's pretty much the sweetest deal ever.

schimt

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 09:35:38 AM »
I am salary and get plenty of overtime without pay.

Currently working as a plant maintenance reliability engineer in a steel mill, our scheduled down time is generally on Sundays, so inspections I get involved with end up on weekends, and the plant runs 24 hours a day, so I get calls during the night for major break downs. Unfortunately this time is not tracked and does not earn me additional time off, although the boss will be pretty lenient if I need a half day to take care of some things.

So I am envious of those who get optional paid overtime as opposed to required unpaid OT

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »
Engineer, salaried, get straight time rather than 1.5x.

OT not always available.  The money is generally worth it to me, try not to go over 10hr days but that can be maintained for weeks doing part day Saturday/Sunday too.  Much over that and all you do is work, drive, and eat; and that really sucks after a bit.  I dont think it gets me any "extra" 401k match but as my contributions are a percent of pay I max out the contributions earlier in the year, then those nov/dec checks are nice and fat and go direction into the taxable investment accounts.

Where the OT is really nice is while on travel as you are getting per-diem too.  Those are very profitable days.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 10:21:59 AM »
doctor, pick up whatever overtime i can get, it's 1.25x pay for me per shift. works out to a little under 60 hrs most weeks and the occasional 100 hr weeks which just bring a huge smile to my face.

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 10:22:55 AM »
doctor, pick up whatever overtime i can get, it's 1.25x pay for me per shift. works out to a little under 60 hrs most weeks and the occasional 100 hr weeks which just bring a huge smile to my face.

Dude, rock on!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 10:33:43 AM »
I am salary and get plenty of overtime without pay.

Currently working as a plant maintenance reliability engineer in a steel mill, our scheduled down time is generally on Sundays, so inspections I get involved with end up on weekends, and the plant runs 24 hours a day, so I get calls during the night for major break downs. Unfortunately this time is not tracked and does not earn me additional time off, although the boss will be pretty lenient if I need a half day to take care of some things.

So I am envious of those who get optional paid overtime as opposed to required unpaid OT

When I interned at an automotive plant I did the same sort of thing (weekend shifts, night calls), except all the interns were hourly so I was making 1.5x weekdays and 2x for weekends. It was a fun day when my salaried boss figured out I was being paid more than he was for most of the installs we did.

Still wouldn't go back to the 70 hour weeks. 40 is plenty thank you very much.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 10:52:17 AM »
Still wouldn't go back to the 70 hour weeks.

The gf only sort of understands that I have to actually work those hours to get paid for those hours.  On some level she knows there is not a magical OT fairy that just adds hours to my time sheet but on some levels she is surprised when I am not around because I am working extra hours.

And I see that a lot at the local navy shipyards, there is just stupid amounts of mandatory OT where salired engineers making 1.5x/hour way out do guys much higher in the GS scale.  Granted these guys also get hotel rooms near the ship yard to save time on the commute and come out ahead.

But second hand navy ship yard stories are a different thread.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 11:32:21 AM »
I am a salaried employee for 44 hours a week.  Any work beyond that I'm paid overtime (1.5x) on.  I typically work less than 300 hours overtime a year.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »
I work 24 hour shifts and usually work 3 one week and 2 the next.  With this schedule, I get 4 hours of 'built in' overtime and three times a year we get an extra 24 hours of 'built in' time.  OT is pretty plentiful at the moment and it generates 1.5x pay.  We do have the option of trading OT worked for comp time off but IIRC, that's awarded on a 1 for 1 basis.

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 12:14:02 PM »
I work 24 hour shifts and usually work 3 one week and 2 the next.  With this schedule, I get 4 hours of 'built in' overtime and three times a year we get an extra 24 hours of 'built in' time.  OT is pretty plentiful at the moment and it generates 1.5x pay.  We do have the option of trading OT worked for comp time off but IIRC, that's awarded on a 1 for 1 basis.

Always been curious - out of those 24 hours, how many are spent (on average) working/training?

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 12:29:18 PM »
I am salary but work every 4th day and every 4th weekend call. When I get called back I get 1.5 X my hourly rate, with a minimum of 2 hours, so it works out pretty well for me. If I work past 5:00 on a call day I get overtime also.

But I don't have much control over whether I work overtime or how much, so I just take it as it comes, just part of my overall compensation. Some months it can be a couple grand, and I have gone some months without a single hour of overtime. I would be happy to lose the overtime if I could give up the call. :)

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 12:43:48 PM »
Always been curious - out of those 24 hours, how many are spent (on average) working/training?

The work day is M-F 0700-1700 and Saturdays until noon.  On Sundays and holidays, we tend to take it easy but are, obviously, still responsible for running calls.  Weekends and holidays aren't always spent relaxing, though, since the call volume is lower and we have more opportunity to train, uninterrupted.

As far as call volume, some stations are busier than others.  For instance, yesterday one of our transport units had 15 calls while another had just 4.  The engine I rode had 7 or 8 runs spaced throughout the day, evening, and (mostly) night including a couple in the wee hours of the morning.  We do sleep at night but we have to be out of bed, dressed, on the truck, and out the door in 90 seconds.

In between, we checked the truck, did about 3-4 hours of driver training for a newer employee, preplanned our response area since there are new subdivisions with unmapped streets, and spent time learning about the new air packs. 

All in all, it was a pretty typical day for us.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
We do sleep at night but we have to be out of bed, dressed, on the truck, and out the door in 90 seconds.

I hit the snooze like 7 times this morning, then half fell asleep in the shower.

Glad you guys were there when I needed you, thanks.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 01:44:56 PM »
I'm salaried to work Fri-Sun. Once I became eligible for my companies 401k, I started picking up during the week. It's not OT per se but at a slightly higher rate. I've been working 6 days a week (super focused on increasing our savings before my husband retires), but the "extra" days are light. It does pay for my 401k contribution, although I'm not maxed out yet. Unfortunately, I have to go through my company to change contribution rates. So annoying!

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 05:26:13 PM »
American academics do all that for free. Well, except I don't know what an invigilation is ; is it painful? :-)

Edit... Looked it up. We call it "proctoring," and it's boring, but not painful. Done for free, usually as a courtesy to a colleague who can't proctor his or her own exam for some reason.
I'm paid by the hour; I think the salaried staff don't get OT for the same things.

Most of our exams need two (sometimes more) invigilators, so someone else has to invigilate alongside the lecturer themselves. There's also invigilators required for students who need to do the exam in a separate room with support. So, plenty of work to go around.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2014, 05:40:18 PM »
I do but I only get paid a $15 hourly rate.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2014, 08:18:27 PM »

I'm paid by the hour; I think the salaried staff don't get OT for the same things.

Most of our exams need two (sometimes more) invigilators, so someone else has to invigilate alongside the lecturer themselves. There's also invigilators required for students who need to do the exam in a separate room with support. So, plenty of work to go around.

I'm salaried, as are 95% of the faculty at my institution ("staff" means employees other than the faculty over here). My institution is unusual for the US in having virtually no part-time (adjunct)  faculty. We have just the professor running a test generally, but institutions with larger classes do often have someone else present. Our classes mostly run 20-35 students, with 50 as the very biggest, but that's not the norm in the US (wide variability seems to be the only real norm as far as class sizes). Our students who need extra support take their tests in a special testing center staffed by, well, staff... :-)

Interesting all the differences.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 05:54:08 PM »
We do sleep at night but we have to be out of bed, dressed, on the truck, and out the door in 90 seconds.

I hit the snooze like 7 times this morning, then half fell asleep in the shower.

Glad you guys were there when I needed you, thanks.

I can relate to the snooze button.  When i'm not at work, it takes a little...extra time to get out of bed :)

Glad you're alright!

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 07:00:05 PM »
I don't get OT in my job, as I am the ED. I guess I could claim lieu time, that is, if I really had to work more than my 35 hours a week, which is not even remotely possible :)

But since I work here by myself (3 weeks in Yellowknife, 2 weeks back home in Calgary with the family), I have plenty of time to get in trouble in this little northern town, so I got myself a casual job on a weekend and sometimes in the evening as a residential support worker, assisting people with developmental disabilities in their daily lives, making $25 an hour just to hang out with them, go to the coffee shop, grocery shopping, etc., basically things that I would otherwise do in my free time. I started this gig last November, and so far, I average about $1,000 a month of extra income.

FIreDrill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2014, 07:08:00 PM »
I work paid overtime but it varies greatly.  I also do a rotating on call schedule and if you get called out it is a 2 hour min and 1.5% hourly rate.  The amount of call out depends on what issues come up so some times it can be 0 hours in a week but a couple months ago I had a 4 week stretch where I got called fairly frequently and was able to get 40 hours at 1.5%.  I enjoy the extra savings and 401k match that it brings. :)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »
I don't mind working overtime, but that's because for me overtime doesn't involve any actual work, it involves goofing around online or playing computer games while waiting for a party to end so I can clean up (or if I'm feeling social, joining in the party). Sometimes I do evening reception coverage which is the same (computer games, etc), except I answer a call every once in awhile. It can end up being pretty lucrative, especially when parties run late.

That said, it would be pretty draining doing actual work for an extra 10 hours a week - I don't think I'd want to do that.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 10:38:59 PM »
I don't think I ever got ot on a job where it was available, most of my jobs as a kid were under the table so even though I was working more than 40 hours a week I only got my straight pay.

When I was a pilot, I got a 70 hour a month guarantee no matter how many hours I worked.   To make ot I'd have to go beyond those hours.   That seemed to be damn near impossible, so most months I would just try to pick a line with the least amount of hours possible.   I had three months in a row where I managed to fly 2 days a week.    Still long days though.   

The crappy thing was that as a pilot you were only paid when the engines are running and the door was closed.    Which is why I used to love to get days where the de-icing line was 1.5 hours long in Pittsburgh.   Going through security, sitting around waiting for a late plane, sitting on a maintenance delay, sleeping at the maintenance base while I waited for  a plane to get fixed....Wasn't getting paid and wasn't eligible for ot.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 08:09:02 AM »
Much of how commercial pilots are brought up, trained and paid could use a major overhaul. 

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »
2 hours last night ... 7.5 hours today ;)  at time and a half... money to pay down last cc woop woop ;)

Ayanka

• Stubble
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2014, 12:37:01 PM »
The company I work for has a very creative view on this. Today was a 12h shift, which is not OT (its planned in, its a 24/7 company), but gets a 12h bonus. Next week, when it wasn't planned and I have to come, is OT, which I can take as compensation hours or get paid 1,5 times. Working extra hours on a day is also OT, following the same rules. In reality, I work OT every day I am working shifts. Not because of the shifts, they are never OT or paid extra (unless they are on Sunday/12h), but because you are always there longer than the shift. Got a headache yet?

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »
I work straight time paid to past my scheduled hours. A little over 700 hrs last year. Totally worth it. I do rotating 12 hours shifts so I have 1/2 the month off before ot and I get the 401k match on Ot too so that's cool. It pays for all my traveling.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »
I don't (not an option), but my DH does. He works in a residential treatment center, and he often works beyond his scheduled shift ending time to complete necessary documentation or to transfer to the staff arriving for their shift. If something crazy happens (ex., kid has a major meltdown or runs away), he hits over 40 hours easily in a week. In 2013, he worked an average of 40.42 hours per week, or nearly 22 hours of OT at time and a half.

greaper007

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 11:50:59 PM »
Much of how commercial pilots are brought up, trained and paid could use a major overhaul.

Ha, when I got my commercial certificate the examiner said "Congratualtions, you're another unemployed commercial pilot."   I didn't make a dime until I got an instructor certificate, and I didn't break $40,000 until I got an Airline Transport Pilot certificate and moved to the left seat at the airline (can't do that anymore).   

Still, I never understood people working their asses off to make a couple hundred pre tax dollars.   I always figured the smart money was to work as little as possible and make them pay you the 70 hour guarantee.  I met people who could sit reserve in base and ski while they were making money or work on their second job. 

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2014, 05:22:41 AM »
I work 12 hour shifts and oh boy is it worth my time to work extra shifts.  Not only do I get paid double time but I can bank them and use them as vacation.  That way you don't get hit with paying extra tax and you get vacation.  It's pretty much the sweetest deal ever.

I have the same deal! The bonus is with 12 hour shifts you mostly only work 3 days per week full time, which means with one overtime shift a week it's still only 4 days with 3 days off. I know the hours add up, but as far as I'm concerned getting up and to work is the hardest part, once you're there you may as well stay all day.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 04:33:37 AM »
I think I'm going to try working 50 hour weeks for a while. Going on a vacation which was super relaxing makes me realize I really, REALLY want to be FI or at least closer ASAP.

Worst case, I decide to stop doing this :)

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2014, 05:30:46 AM »

Hey, I really admire you! I opted out of hospital overtime altogether because it was just terrible hours in terrible conditions and making me hate my job. To the OP, I would take into consideration the nature of the work and whether or not it is shift work. Tagging an hour or two to your day on either end and then being able to bill your employer for it, is far more worth it than taking on extra shifts that interfere with your sleep and your ability to do your job in regular hours.

CentimentalFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2014, 05:37:03 AM »
I am a salaried employee with paid overtime as well. I agree with what FuckRx said. When I volunteer for OT, I usually do it 2 hours before my shift so that it doesn't affect my overall schedule. Billing your employer for it is well worth it. Although, I would consider the tax implications as well (I'm in Canada and that makes a huge difference for me, I am not sure how it works in the US.)

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 05:55:53 AM »
The nice part about getting OT is not counting it (for us) in our regular budget. It's for extras like vacation.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 08:52:22 AM »
The nice part about getting OT is not counting it (for us) in our regular budget. It's for extras like vacation.

Yeah it's going to let me save twice as fast for a house down payment.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2014, 11:11:58 AM »
I am (or I can get comp time), but I need to get approval for it each time.  I often don't bother.  I don't like needing to justify it.  (In my head, I think, well, do I really NEED to stay late?  Can I get it done tomorrow instead, even if that just continually pushes the overload out?  So it ends up just being if I've got a hard deadline or meetigns.)  I usually just work the extra hour or two if needed without saying anything even though as a "union" lawyer, I'm apparently "not supposed to".  Some folks around here are pretty busy and are able to ask for approval pretty frequently.  I have only done it a handful of times (perhaps a total of 20 hours in 2 years).  It's straight pay for the first 2.5 hours, then 1.5 after that.  Thus there's a bit of incentive to just ask when I have ~4 extra hours to do in one week to do rather than 1-2. 

Serve&Volley88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »
I am in a government job and receive paid OT (time and a half). It is rare, unfortunately, and I don't expect to get more than 12 hours or so this year.

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2014, 02:24:03 PM »
I am a fake engineer (IT). I have the leeway to work some overtime every week if I wish, or on occasion need to if there's some sort of issue at work that I'm uniquely qualified to fix quickly. Most days I use up my useful brain capacity and just don't want to keep going.

There's also the issue of doing too much overtime at work and becoming salaried, so I tend to reserve overtime for when I need to or when I find my zone and can't set a project down.

kelly1mm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2014, 08:20:59 PM »
I work bunches of OT during tax season - usually 60 hours a week and my high this season has been 74 hours in one week.

BUT!
1) I work from home in my PJ's
2) I work 5 hours a week the 35 weeks that is not tax season!

PS - technically I am getting paid OT writing this post!

gobius

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »
I don't get paid any extra for OT; if I come in more than 5 days in a week I get $0.50/mi or so.  I've worked quite a few 60-70 hour weeks and the longest was 90 hours.  It isn't all work though; at times we have a lot of free time or are waiting around for something.  We usually work at least 45 hrs/week but the bosses don't say much if you take some comp time here and there.  We get a decent amount of freedom, good benefits and good compensation.  You have to like working a lot of hours at times though and have to take a lot of ownership of your areas of responsibility.

A lot of hourly guys get less freedom but they get paid 1.5x OT and 2x on Sundays/holidays.  When one of them moves into a supervisory role (a salaried position) I ask them if they like their hourly rate going down with OT rather than going up.  Most of them, as long as they work 45 hours/week, make more than I do.  It makes me ask myself sometimes, "Why did I get a degree again?"  Some of them even have degrees but don't use them; I've considered jumping over to their side.

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »
Today I am working an extra 3 hours ... it is a holiday (Good Friday)  that I get paid an incredible amout of cash for working the extra three hours is enough to cover the cost of our new gas water heater lol... :)