Author Topic: How many of you have added commute - even if it's public transit?  (Read 2044 times)

ender

• Walrus Stache
How many of you have added commute - even if it's public transit?
« on: September 26, 2019, 04:40:27 PM »
Considering a job offer which would increase my commute time meaningfully, but I'd be able to be on a train for most/all of it.

I'm not really sure how to evaluate this. I currently have a short commute but find myself spending some time to decompress anyways. I'd be able to just read on a train or use a computer there, anyways, so it feels like the overall time might be a wash (though I'd lose flexibility).

Curious what folks think on something like this. If it was sitting in a car it'd be an obvious decision, but being able to potentially work on train some and/or decompress on a train feels like a different situation.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How many of you have added commute - even if it's public transit?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 04:54:47 PM »
For me it would depend on how nice the train is, and how conducive it is to reading and working.  I've done nice trains that I actually miss being part of my commute, but I've also done city subway/train that is crowded and dirty and loud and there's no way I'm able to read much less work.  Also, if you can work on the train, can that count as part of your work day?  If so, then it doesn't even count as commute time.

KBCB

• Stubble
  • Burning to Fire
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 05:42:32 PM »
I would agree that the quality of the time and train cleanliness would be a factor. I also would evaluate this time depending on your life. Do you plan to stay at the job long, would your life change significantly where the time on the train would no longer work? Right now it doesn't seem to bother you and shouldn't for the remainder of your time at the new prospect you should just remove it from being a factor unless there is a cost added.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 09:14:47 PM »
I did an hour each-way driving commute for 18 months, and it darn near drove me insane. 3 years ago, I moved and now have a commute that is 10 minutes longer, but its by commuter train, and the difference is night and day. The train is relaxing as the seats are generally comfortable, there's a fair amount of room, and I spend most of the time playing video games (Twilight Princess currently) to and from work.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 09:40:40 PM »
My work is moving permanently soon from a 30-40 bike ride commute to a 1-hour bike+express train commute location and while I initially thought it would be problematic, when I have done it, it's actually quite nice sitting on a train and reading a book/practising my Duolingo and actually factors into my decompression/downtime needs.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 01:05:06 AM »
I know a couple of people who do / have done long commutes on public transport. They negotiated a deal with the employer that the time on the bus/train counted as regular working hours. This was a combination of their skills being in demand where they commuted to plus that the nature of the jobs were so that they could actually work while commuting. Might be worth checking out with your emplyoer and have it as part of the negotiations on pay / total package. If you get it - at least the bulk of it - as paid time it will make a massive difference.

You should also check out the actual commute in person to get a feel of how it works. Are you guaranteed to get a seat? Does it have a "premium" class or whatever better suited to working while on the train? Are the trains reliable in the area? Is the cell service good along the line (if relevant to working)?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 04:47:42 AM »
I doubled my commute time to switch jobs, but I also cut my days working at the same time, so overall I'm commuting about the same time during the week. Still, the longer time spent in traffic is a real drain, but the job is so high quality it's worth it.

Just to echo above re:trains, if it were a nice train ride where you know you will get a seat, I wouldn't hesitate for a second. It's a great way to ramp up for the day and to unwind at the end.
However, a shitty train ride can be utterly miserable, so it really does depend on the train. I used to hate Montreal subway commuting.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 05:27:25 AM »
Big difference between train and car in terms of frustration with a longer commute.  The train can be tolerable, the car is misery.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 05:36:17 AM »
Big difference between train and car in terms of frustration with a longer commute.  The train can be tolerable, the car is misery.

Personally, I would take a long traffic-free drive over a shitty crowded dirty train any day.

It's really the other people involved in the commute that really makes it miserable.

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 06:13:47 AM »
Considering a job offer which would increase my commute time meaningfully, but I'd be able to be on a train for most/all of it.

I'm not really sure how to evaluate this. I currently have a short commute but find myself spending some time to decompress anyways. I'd be able to just read on a train or use a computer there, anyways, so it feels like the overall time might be a wash (though I'd lose flexibility).

Curious what folks think on something like this. If it was sitting in a car it'd be an obvious decision, but being able to potentially work on train some and/or decompress on a train feels like a different situation.

what kind of train? will you be crammed in, possibly without a seat? or is it fairly open with a seat virtually guaranteed?

same for both coming and going?

speaking to working while commuting - yoyo next to me was on his laptop yesterday's commute - constantly elbowing me in ribs as he typed.

Don't do that.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 07:04:31 AM »
When I moved from Detroit to Dublin, I exchanged a 45 minute drive in the car (including 20-40+ of on-the-freeway-going-slowly) for 45 minutes of train + walk.  Great trade.  Then, over the summer, I traded that for 1 hour walk, a good part of it through parkland.  Even better trade.  Now the train is just my bad weather alternative.  Dublin is a boomtown, and the trains reflect that:  ridership is up 11% year-over-year, without a commensurate increase in train cars.

As others have said, you can't say for sure until you have tried it.  But it could be quite useful.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 07:31:13 AM »

Personally, I would take a long traffic-free drive over a shitty crowded dirty train any day.

It's really the other people involved in the commute that really makes it miserable.

I've occasionally got to do a relatively traffic free two hour commute each way to go to a nearby university and interview students.  Wouldn't want it every day.  It's the fact that you have to be concentrating on something for solid hours of your day . . . even if it's relatively simple stuff like driving, it still wears on you.  On a train you can relax.  But yes, a shitty crowded train would be less comfortable . . . particularly if you're standing.

tawyer

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 09:44:33 PM »
How frequent is the train and how much flexibility in schedule do you need? A train once per hour that you miss by a few minutes is essentially an hour lost and is a constant low level stressor, whether you catch it or not. Personally, a departure about every fifteen minutes is my threshold for feeling like I never need to rush to catch a specific train.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 11:04:42 PM »
What I personally would do is either move to an apartment walking/biking distance from the job, or move to a job within walking/biking distance of my current home. I would just axe any option that required commuting at all, because in my experience any commute serious fucks up quality of life way more than I would be willing to accept.

To me, the biggest leap is going from not commuting at all (i.e. walking a short distance) to commuting. This commute versus that commute wouldn't really be much of a factor for me.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 01:15:34 AM »
Noise-cancelling headphones make my commute more workable.

I find that working at a laptop isn't always possible from train seats (although an external mouse helps) and risks back pain. Reading reports on a tablet or planning on a paper book works better.

Still, I couldn't do my commute forever.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2019, 01:38:02 AM »
I now walk to work. I used to train 50 minutes to work. The walk is more pleasant and enjoyable, but the train ride was also good - i was able to mentally prepare for work and also unwind on the way home. I'd say that as long as your public transport is pleasant, safe and not too crowded, it's still going to be a productive use of time.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2019, 07:25:43 AM »
How frequent is the train and how much flexibility in schedule do you need? A train once per hour that you miss by a few minutes is essentially an hour lost and is a constant low level stressor, whether you catch it or not. Personally, a departure about every fifteen minutes is my threshold for feeling like I never need to rush to catch a specific train.
There are some nice things about having to catch a once an hour train. It forces you to leave the office as you can't spend "just a few more" minutes working on a project and catch the next train.

GermanStache

• Stubble
  • Working my way to FI
    • My Journal
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2019, 10:07:53 AM »
My commute is
- 15 Minute walk- 30 Minute train ride (nice train but I get a seat only if I take a early one - 6 AM early that is. Between 7 and 8 AM you get no seat.- 20 Minute city train ride- 5 Minute walk
If I take the car it is between 30 and 45 Minutes altogether.

I would much prefer one hour on a train and be there....

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2019, 10:20:15 AM »
I changed jobs recently, and my commute changed from driving the carpool to mostly riding the bus (and biking one mile each way to/from the bus stop).

The bus is a hundred times better than driving in the city, with the only exception being if I have to get somewhere in a hurry. I can now read a book, surf the web, take a nap, whatever, all while not having to get stressed out about stop-and-go traffic.

My bike/bus trip takes about 1:05 in the morning and 1:30 in the afternoon, whereas on average a car trip would take 0:35 in the morning and about an hour in the afternoon.