Author Topic: How many miles to expect on 2010 Prius?  (Read 18988 times)

LilTazzy

How many miles to expect on 2010 Prius?
« on: February 09, 2017, 02:31:00 PM »
Hello all,

I have a 2010 Prius that I purchased brand-new (not a good idea, I know) in 2011. I put a lot of miles on the car for work and currently have 100,000 miles on the vehicle. I have not had any repairs other than regular maintenance and new tires.

How long can I expect this Prius to last ,specifically the battery? Because I do a lot of travel for work, I do want a reliable, fuel efficient vehicle. This is my second Prius and am very happy with it. When should I expect to look for another vehicle?

Thank you to all who reply! :-)

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How many miles to expect on 2010 Prius?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 04:09:50 PM »
Get on craigslist in your area and search prius   (prii?) for sale.  Set the mileage filter high.

At the mileage point that you stop seeing priuses for sale, thats obviously the cutoff.

This isnt an exact science, but in my area there are lots of priuses at stupid numbers like 250k+ and some over 300K I see occasionally.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 05:51:53 PM »
I don't think it's an exact science...my 2011 prius has around 75k miles and hasn't had any problems yet. My friend has a 2009 prius which also has around 100k miles and hasn't had any issues i know of.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 06:22:21 PM »
You should be fine on the battery for 10 years as it is backed by Toyota for that long. Well, at least the 06 era Prius are. It isn't the miles that kill batteries, but rather age as well as temperature. Hot climates kill batteries prematurely unless they have cooling systems. The Prius unfortunately does not have one really, outside of your A/C.

As long as you change your oil and filters, as well as your transaxle oil, you shouldn't really see any issues. Oh and I think there was a water-pump something or other that was a recall on them, not sure if your model year was included. You can go to look up recalls by VIN. Sorry I forgot the URL, but a quick Google search will yield the answer should you want it.

I have an 06 with about 107K on the odometer. Battery went bye-bye last year, on the 10 year mark, so outside of factory warranty. It would have been prorated anyways, so not really too helpful since I did not go to a stealership. 

You can also go check out Prius Chat, it's a forum for Prius owners full of great info.

sailingTowardsFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 06:45:10 PM »
I have a 2007 Prius with about 116000 on it - all the parts that matter are still going strong but I have a nagging issue where headlight bulbs don't seem to last more than ~6 months at a time and the latch on the hatch is getting a little finicky.  The latch I can live with, but I'd like to solve the headlight issue! 

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 07:04:37 PM »
How long can I expect this Prius to last ,specifically the battery? Because I do a lot of travel for work, I do want a reliable, fuel efficient vehicle. This is my second Prius and am very happy with it. When should I expect to look for another vehicle?

If the battery has problems, get a replacement battery.  They're $2500 or $3000 after core charge, but you can get them easily enough and that's a lot less than a replacement car.

Toyota makes good engines - they have a reputation for reliability for a reason.

Realistically, make sure you're doing the scheduled maintenance (timing belt changes if needed - I'm not sure if the Prius engine has a timing belt or a timing chain), accept that you'll probably need to replace the suspension at some point (maybe 125k miles?), and you should be good for many, many more miles.

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 12:25:33 AM »
i have a coworker with a 2008 Prius with 250k that's still going strong.

Can't Wait

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 04:44:15 AM »
I saw a list one time that had the 3rd gen Prius listed as having the cheapest cost of ownership since it requires little to no maintenance, other than changing the oil, fluids etc. A lot of taxi services use/used the 3rd gen Prius as well, and I'll routinely see those retired and listed for sale with 300-400k miles.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 08:41:22 AM »
I have a 2007 Prius with about 116000 on it - all the parts that matter are still going strong but I have a nagging issue where headlight bulbs don't seem to last more than ~6 months at a time and the latch on the hatch is getting a little finicky.  The latch I can live with, but I'd like to solve the headlight issue!

I hope this doesnt upset you, im not challenging your intelligence in any way,   but are you using extra bright headlights like sylvania silverstars?     There is a law limiting the max wattage a headlight can have.  So to get extra bright light, they over drive the filament and it doesnt last very long.      Just thought Id toss that information out there.     I had a vehicle with a similar problem, so I kept buying nicer and nicer bulbs expecting them to last longer......   But the more expensive ones were burning out faster....

diggingout

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »
I know this isn't standard, but I thought I'd mention...my friend's dad drives a prius and he uses it for work, for which he has to drive A LOT.  He's still on his first battery and last I spoke to him maybe a year ago, he was at 845,000 miles on it.  I guess our local Toyota dealership keeps trying to purchase it from him for $3k so they can display it, but he's pretty determined to drive it into the ground.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 02:12:32 PM »
I know this isn't standard, but I thought I'd mention...my friend's dad drives a prius and he uses it for work, for which he has to drive A LOT.  He's still on his first battery and last I spoke to him maybe a year ago, he was at 845,000 miles on it.  I guess our local Toyota dealership keeps trying to purchase it from him for $3k so they can display it, but he's pretty determined to drive it into the ground.

That is baller. I hope he makes it to 1,000,000 miles! If he does, he should contact the Ford museum and see if they are interested in the car. They have an original model Prius there and lots of other cool cars of course.

farmecologist

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 02:37:22 PM »

The reliability of these things is also why Taxi companies frequently use them...at least in our area.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 03:00:41 PM »
Newer cars in general are very long-lasting these days.  I've got 257,xxx on my 2009 Hyundai without problems, and I'd expect a Toyota to outlive a Hyundai any day of the week.

As far as the battery, those seem to care more about years than miles within reason.  From what I've seen, the batteries rarely go bad and if they do it's after 10-12 years, and even then sometimes you just have to replace a few cells (and as someone else mentioned it's only like $2500 to do the whole pack).

To be extra-conservative in your shoes, I'd plan on 200k, hope for 300k.  Especially if by "a lot of miles for work" you mean highway miles.  Just do the maintenance upkeep required (which I know isn't a lot on those cars) and you'll be good to go for a long time.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 05:12:35 PM »
My 2008 Prius has 267k miles. I've only had it a few months, but seems to perform well enough consistently.

Outside of the battery dying, I could see it going another 100k easily.

SaveSpendGiveALittle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 09:42:27 AM »
I bought a 2010 prius last year... I expect that I will want a replacement vehicle before the car needs to be replaced. They should run forever with timely routine maintenance...

sailingTowardsFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 09:50:37 AM »

I hope this doesnt upset you, im not challenging your intelligence in any way,   but are you using extra bright headlights like sylvania silverstars?     There is a law limiting the max wattage a headlight can have.  So to get extra bright light, they over drive the filament and it doesnt last very long.      Just thought Id toss that information out there.     I had a vehicle with a similar problem, so I kept buying nicer and nicer bulbs expecting them to last longer......   But the more expensive ones were burning out faster....

Thanks for the tip, I'll double check the type of headlight I'm using!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 10:18:47 AM »
+1 to everyone else.  500k would not surprise me if properly cared for, and it's possible to DIY-rebuild battery packs if you know what you're doing.

LilTazzy

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »

Thank you everyone for your replies! I am not car-savvy at all, so will have to rely on a mechanic for any work that needs to be done. But I am breathing a little easier knowing that I can hopefully make it another 100,000 miles+ before needing to get a new car! :-)

Landfall

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »
I have a 2006 prius.  My battery WENT in 2015 @ 180k. I got a new battery.   I am not sure if my big furry go with dog shortened battery life.  Prius mechanic says dog hair often found when take apart dead battery and peer inside.  All worth it (doggy and new battery)

Slow&Steady

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »
My 06 Prius has 290K miles on it and is still going strong.

My goal has long been 300k + miles with the plan to drive it until it is simply not able to be driven any longer.  I am impressed by the quoted post, not only for the miles on the car but also because I have heard rumors that about half of the odometers on the Prius will simply stop counting at 299,999.

As for the battery on the 2010, I believe that is the 3rd generation Prius and I thought I had read that Toyota had made some pretty significant improvements to the batteries on the 3rd gen to reduce the potential battery replacement need.  So although it is not uncommon for the 2nd generation to need a new battery around 10 years (mine has not needed a new battery), I did not think that was supposed to be the case for the 3rd generation, but my memory could be wrong on this.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:20:14 AM by NicoleO »

Heroes821

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 12:39:40 PM »
Hello all,

I have a 2010 Prius that I purchased brand-new (not a good idea, I know) in 2011. I put a lot of miles on the car for work and currently have 100,000 miles on the vehicle. I have not had any repairs other than regular maintenance and new tires.

Thank you to all who reply! :-)

I am actively prius shopping and I was looking at a consumer report on battery replacement of prius vs Honda hybrids. Going back as far as 2002 prius had a 5% battery replacement rate that was in 2013. So in 2021 you probably have a 5% chance of needing to replace your battery, the cost of which keeps going down.

I think you could easily hold onto the prius for 10 years with little to no issues. When I pull the trigger in a few months I plan to aim for 15 years in the prius I pick.

iowagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 11:46:27 AM »
I've had mine 3 yrs now and its a 2010. It has about 120K on it and it is going strong. I haven't done any repairs other than basic maintenance since I've had. My most expensive fix was new tires and I got a really good deal on those. I've been considering trading it off. My bf is pushing strong for me to sell it to him and me buy a new one which isn't on the radar yet.