Author Topic: How Many Miles Do Your Cars Have?  (Read 25885 times)

jenniecountspennies

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How Many Miles Do Your Cars Have?
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »
2007 Hyundai Sonata with 152,000 on it. 40,000 of that is us over the last 3 years - we've done some cross-country moving.

Hoping to keep it for another 100k miles … gets great gas mileage.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2015, 01:08:30 PM »
I have a 2004 Sienna mini-van with 108k miles on it. The sliding doors stopped working and the back lift door doesn't open automatically either. Run flat tires are expensive to replace but I'm hanging on to it.

psinguine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2015, 01:11:44 PM »
Wife's "broken in" 2005 Buick Century: 372,000
This is impressive!  Does it still run okay?  372,000 miles in 10 years is a ton of driving.  Did the miles come from a sales job or something?

Almost half of those miles were put on in the last few years. When we moved in together in an attempt to save money on rent (and related items) we failed to account for the fact that her commute went from 10 miles per day to nearly 300. Somehow this failed to cross our minds, probably because I watched my dad do it for my entire childhood and thought it was normal.

psinguine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2015, 04:54:16 PM »
Wife's "broken in" 2005 Buick Century: 372,000
This is impressive!  Does it still run okay?  372,000 miles in 10 years is a ton of driving.  Did the miles come from a sales job or something?

Almost half of those miles were put on in the last few years. When we moved in together in an attempt to save money on rent (and related items) we failed to account for the fact that her commute went from 10 miles per day to nearly 300. Somehow this failed to cross our minds, probably because I watched my dad do it for my entire childhood and thought it was normal.
Ummm...hoping that's a typo.

Nope. A three followed by two zeroes? Yeah that's what it's supposed to be. We kind of trapped ourselves in a corner with that one. With her education she could either work at that company... or move to another province. There were no other hospitals in the entire province looking for somebody with her skill set. Luckily life intervened in the form of paid maternity leave. And then by the time that ran out she had managed to somehow fall into a well paid federal job with a 20 mile commute.

She doesn't make quite as much per hour. And she doesn't get as many hours either. But she still takes home more than she was.

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »
185,000 miles. Still looks like this.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2015, 05:28:58 PM »
2010 Mini Cooper S: 48,228 miles. Purchased for cash with 3 miles on the odometer. Really fun, but probably a once-in-a-lifetime event. I'll retire her to the barn if she starts getting unreliable, but I plan to own that damn car until I die.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2015, 05:34:00 PM »
Currently showing an einsurance ad for car insurance. There seems to always be something to link on thread related at the bottom of all the forum pages.

Now it's Cadillac - mustashian people's choice of car for 2015!
Oh, I see it now! I guess I've never noticed for some reason- maybe because I'm used to ads being on the tops and rights of pages. I saw a car and a university (clearly, I paid attention). Thanks~ Haha, yes, Cadillac edged out Bentley this year.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 05:36:21 PM by KittyCat »

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2015, 05:38:08 PM »
113K miles, Civic. I work from home most of the time now so I rarely drive it anymore.

efish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2015, 06:53:18 PM »
2010 Civic - 32,000
2011 Civic - 11,000

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2015, 11:10:34 PM »
Me - 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan, 124k. Used to be my company car pre-FIRE. I bought it out cheap when they did away with company cars and had a car allowance for the last 18 months of my career. Have driven about 24k miles since I retired in 2012, primarily trips to SoCal to deal with aging parents and rental property.

DH - 2002 Ford F150 Extended Cab, 85k. He walks to work, so no commute.

DH wants me to get a new car and I can't decide. We use the truck enough to justify keeping it. His mom has Alzheimer's and lives with us, so no way am I going to be without a car. We'd like a reasonably priced, comfortable family cruiser with decent cargo capacity. Following to see what other mustachians are driving and what lasts.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2015, 12:16:29 AM »
2003 Volvo V40 1.8i 176,000 miles
2003 Volkswagen Golf TDi  156,000 miles

calivianya

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2015, 02:43:44 AM »
2015 model, currently sitting at 1944 miles. Had a 2005  Civic with ~108k miles on it that had an overheating problem that four different mechanics could not fix despite four different attempts, and I didn't want it to explode on me.

At least the new car has a lifetime powertrain warranty courtesy of the dealership for as long as I own it, so I see it as a good extremely long-term investment. Maybe a rest of my life investment.

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2015, 03:33:44 AM »
I have a 1997 Nissan Micra I got from my gandmother. It has about 97k KM, so not a lot considering how old it is. I want to make as much use of it as possible. My parents have hinted I should upgrade to a newer, safer, bigger car so I can also carry more stuff. I've loaded it with some huge furniture, just putting the backseats down and being organized.

It is old and dented and a bit rusty so I feel like my closest family is a bit "embarrased" about it. My girlfriend doesn't like it as much as I do. I remember her nephew once sniggering silently when he saw our car, he himself drives some new big McFancy car, I don't remember what kind it was. I feel a kind of silent pride driving it and think to myself "bitches don't know about my financial goals, let them think I am poor or inferior in some way, their problem not mine".

One concern I actually do have though is the safety factor. The car really is small and I sometimes feel anxious about bigger cars crashing into me.

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2015, 04:24:38 AM »
One concern I actually do have though is the safety factor. The car really is small and I sometimes feel anxious about bigger cars crashing into me.

http://www.euroncap.com/en/results/nissan/micra/15465

Yeah not much safety rating on those cars. It would concern me.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2015, 07:36:15 AM »
1995 Corolla, 200k miles
2006 Odyssey, 115k miles

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2015, 08:12:35 AM »
1999 Chevy Metro - 171,000 miles
1992 Buick Roadmaster Wagon - 182,000 miles

Both look pretty ratty.  The Metro is rusty and has a cracked windshield, and the Buick is beat up because we hit a deer at 60mph (and a few other not-the-car's-fault mishaps that would have ended a lesser creature), but both are great mechanically!  Barring anything too stupid happening, I hope to get each of them to at least 200k.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2015, 08:13:29 AM »
'91 MR2 Turbo - ~260k chassis, ~3k rebuilt motor
'07 GX470 - ~105k

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2015, 08:54:56 AM »
'10 Corolla 75k
'08 Fit 76k
'06 350Z 36k

Hall11235

• Stubble
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2015, 08:55:19 AM »
2002 Mitsubishi Galant
246,896 Miles. This car is unbelievable. Honestly. My dad bought it used in '05. He then gifted it to me when I graduate College in May of 2015. We have never had an unusual repair. Only oil, brakes, and timing belt.

This car is bulletproof. I would pay 20,000+ to own another beater like it if that car had the same reliability.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2015, 10:13:52 AM »
I'm surprised (in a non-judgmental way) at the number of people here with multiple cars. Driving is expensive here in the UK, with regular overheads like road tax and annual MOTs (roadworthiness checks and resulting corrective action) that can easily add up to US$1000 or more per annum for an older car.

Then again, "bad weather" for us is relatively mild (maybe a couple of weeks of light snowfall a year), so this may be different from some of you who live in more challenging climates.

Around here the fixed costs of owning a car (insurance, registration, etc) are really low (I pay $350 a year for my more expensive '95).  Variable mileage costs don't really come into play as miles on the second car are miles off the first car.  The biggest thing is the capital tied up in having the car.  When they're all old, well, there's not much value there...  Unless your hair's on fire, it's not like there's much benefit at all to selling them...  There's also the advantage of being able to take your time fixing one car yourself while driving the second one (vs. having to use a shop/loaner car or get a rental car for a week).  The weather thing, for me, is more "because I can".  I used to only have the RWD MR2, and it does "good enough" (I've only been stuck three times with it in all the years where I needed help, and all of them were extreme situations) when equipped with nice snow tires.  However, when I have an AWD Eclipse available with snow tires, well, I'll take that one (that one has never been stuck)...  :-)  That said, this only applies for people that aren't going to bike to work.  In that case, dump 'em all!  :-)

Some day I hope to bike to work, but I'm not there yet.  Mileage, route, and living in tornado alley (with frequent long thunderstorms that you do NOT want to be on a bike in) are the hurdles I haven't yet fought my way over.  My hope is that eventually we'll be down to 1 car (for wife, as she doesn't do well on bicycles, and trips together), 1 motorcycle for my solo trips (as my wife won't ride with me), and a bicycle for everything I possibly can!

littleteapot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2015, 12:10:48 PM »
2005 Jeep Liberty - 115K

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2015, 12:18:48 PM »
1997 Nissan Altima, 178,000 miles - Paid $500 for it and spent $350 on repairs 6 years ago when it had 120,000 miles

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2015, 12:30:07 PM »
2002 Dodge Grand Caravan (paid cash): 110,000
2006 Saturn Ion (paid off, was the last car note I will ever have): 98,000
1996 Saturn SL (sold it) had 205K and was still running
1965 Rambler (payed cash)- the lowest miles of them all! 46,800.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2015, 12:32:19 PM »
My car:  '13 Sonata 2.0t - 32K Miles
SO car:  '08 Chrysler Sebring Convertible (GIANT PIECE OF SHIT) - 108K Miles

I am afraid the Sebring is on it's last legs before a huge repair.  Tons and tons and tons of problems.  Never buy a Chrysler. 

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2015, 12:43:31 PM »
I'm surprised (in a non-judgmental way) at the number of people here with multiple cars. Driving is expensive here in the UK, with regular overheads like road tax and annual MOTs (roadworthiness checks and resulting corrective action) that can easily add up to US$1000 or more per annum for an older car.

Then again, "bad weather" for us is relatively mild (maybe a couple of weeks of light snowfall a year), so this may be different from some of you who live in more challenging climates.

I guess I expected fewer multiple-car owners too, although I am one myself!  Chester may be do-able by bike and public transport, but I am in rural Scotland and we would really struggle to be a single-car household.  If anything, your $1,000 is an underestimate - I don't think I would manage to be under £1,000 per car per year once you cover insurance, tax, Mot and MOT-essential parts.  Absolute minimum fixed costs would be about £500 per car.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2015, 02:21:34 PM »
94k on a 2008 Audi A4.  I bought it used a little over 4 years ago and put almost 60k miles on it so far.

This included a job where I had to drive some places and got gas reimbursement, also multiple road trips, and I had to work far from home for several years while building my resume.

I am trying to cut back now though on driving. Work is only about 11 miles each way and I only go in twice per week. My problem is that my gym is 13 miles from home which I am at 4 days per week, and I go to an asian market once per week to get fish and that is about 22 miles each way. There is no similar gym or fish market closer to home, unfortunately, and they are in exact opposite directions, with my work being over to the side.

I am hoping to keep driving this car until 2017, but I have thought about trading in next year since I can get a super low mileage camry for only about $3k on trade in.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 02:24:23 PM by stlbrah »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2015, 06:41:58 PM »
Our daily commuter (carpooling as of this week!) is a 2003 Kia Rio with 240,000 miles.

We have multiple vehicles as well. Running are the Kia, a 97 Jeep Wrangler with ~159k miles and our backup, an 81 Toyota Tercel which is over 150k but under 200k, I think.

The Tercel gets the best fuel mileage, but no heat, no AC, and a passenger seat which won't sit up straight make it uncomfortable for carpooling long distances. However, it would get us there in a pinch, which is the reason we have a backup. It costs us $21 and change in registration and tax annually plus under $100 in insurance- cheaper than having to rent a car for three days, in other words, and that without factoring in the 45 miles to a rental place.

The Wrangler does mostly off-road, not as in recreation but as in getting to places that don't have pavement (like our house, though the cars will get here if it hasn't been storming badly).

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #77 on: August 18, 2015, 09:24:41 PM »
1993 Taurus – wrecked (totaled) at 200,334. It ran good, but visually was a real beater. Lots of things didn't work, like for example the air conditioner. But it always ran well, always started, even in frigid temperatures, and it had good tires and brakes.

2002 Taurus – 105,000. A much nicer looking vehicle. Has needed a lot of repair for the one year / 5,000 miles I have owned it. Broken suspension spring, expensive PATS spare keys, Air Conditioner recharge, and a fuel pump replacement.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2015, 05:25:00 AM »
I'm surprised (in a non-judgmental way) at the number of people here with multiple cars.

I totally understand. Not to dodge facepunches or justify anything, but in rural America, there is no cycling infrastructure, and usually lots of other problems with being car-free.

That being said, I'm one of the only people who commutes by bike in my town. I contemplated going car-free (for myself) but the wife sometimes calls me to pick up multiple kids from dance, horrible weather, or whatever, so it got shot down. I would have done it and carried on, but... it wasn't meant to be. Maybe when my kids are grown, I'll do it.

As it stands, I've gone 3-4 weeks without even starting my car before. Even if I can't get rid of it, I use it as little as possible.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2015, 07:07:45 AM »

What do you drive? Many late models no longer have timing belts - this is a good thing. I hate timing belts.

2015 Elantra. 
If it doesn't have a timing belt that would be freaking amazing. That was the most expensive repair I ever had to get done on the Civic I had for 15 years!

KaizenSoze

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2015, 07:31:33 AM »
2005 Prius 126,000. I'm the original owner. Averaging around 43 MPG. It's come down a mile or so in MPG in the last two years. But the battery pack is still solid.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2015, 07:59:01 AM »

2015 Elantra. 
If it doesn't have a timing belt that would be freaking amazing. That was the most expensive repair I ever had to get done on the Civic I had for 15 years!
You're in luck.  You've got a timing chain

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2015, 08:46:25 AM »
Timing chains are fantastic... both of my Saturns had them, and my Grand Caravan and Rambler have traditional cams and timing chain. Replacing a chain sucks, but you don't have to do it nearly as often.

Taffy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2015, 09:06:34 AM »

I guess I expected fewer multiple-car owners too, although I am one myself!  Chester may be do-able by bike and public transport, but I am in rural Scotland and we would really struggle to be a single-car household.  If anything, your $1,000 is an underestimate - I don't think I would manage to be under £1,000 per car per year once you cover insurance, tax, Mot and MOT-essential parts.  Absolute minimum fixed costs would be about £500 per car.

Oh I see the logic in one car per adult, especially in rural areas. But many people on this board have more than one car each. As BlueMR2 says above though, fixed costs to ownership in the States are low. Including insurance, MOT, repairs, and road tax, my 11-year-old Peugeot 207 SW has cost me £1,362 ($2,130) in the past 12 months, and that's with sourcing parts and doing minor servicing myself. But yeah, I was trying to be optimistic with the $1000-a-year number.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2015, 09:53:54 AM »
Timing chains are fantastic... both of my Saturns had them, and my Grand Caravan and Rambler have traditional cams and timing chain. Replacing a chain sucks, but you don't have to do it nearly as often.

They're fantastic until you have one snap and it goes through your engine compartment like a buzzsaw.  :-)  I prefer the safer timing belts myself (especially with a non-interference engine) even though they do require more frequent replacement...

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2015, 11:12:15 AM »
2010 Mazda 3 hatchback: 66,000 miles (bought new in 2010)
2013 Mazda 3 sedan: 2200 miles (bought new in 2015, was sitting on lot)

The newer Mazda replaced a 10 y/o Honda that we sold to a family member - it costs us less than $1000/year of ownership including fuel. We're planning on driving both Mazdas into the ground. The older one is mine and I can't imagine getting rid of it for at least another 10 years.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2015, 11:37:34 AM »
1997 Saturn--166,000 miles. Has been a dream. I wish they still made them.

Fritzy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »
2014 Hyundai Elantra - ~20,000 miles in just over a year of driving. We're really making up for lost time, since we didn't have a car between 2008-2014.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2015, 12:34:18 PM »

Oh I see the logic in one car per adult, especially in rural areas. But many people on this board have more than one car each. As BlueMR2 says above though, fixed costs to ownership in the States are low. Including insurance, MOT, repairs, and road tax, my 11-year-old Peugeot 207 SW has cost me £1,362 ($2,130) in the past 12 months, and that's with sourcing parts and doing minor servicing myself. But yeah, I was trying to be optimistic with the $1000-a-year number.

Your £1,362 annual cost is pretty good and most folks with newer cars are losing several times that per year on depreciation alone!

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2015, 01:28:37 PM »
Mine: 2012 Nissan Leaf, 40,700 miles (40 mile daily round-trip commute)
His:   2012 Honda CR-V, 33,000 miles (10 mile daily round-trip commute, sometimes biked, used for road trips)

The Leaf replaced my 2005 Scion xA in February.  That little sweetheart had 140,000 miles but after replacing the exhaust manifold gasket, and most of the exhaust system, and the windshield gasket, and repairing the rust through the rear passenger floor, and a couple of dead batteries... enough was enough.  She'll probably make it to 200,000 miles with the next owner.

freezerburn

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: August 19, 2015, 08:15:18 PM »
2002 Subaru Forester, about 93k miles. Bought new but with a few thousand miles already on it since it was a dealer display model, then halfway through its life (at about 60k) it sat for a few years, and now I'm hoping it'll go another 100k. It's got some cosmetic jalopy characteristics for sure but it's reliable and gets us where we need to go.

Mr. OTT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • One Thousand Thousands
« Reply #91 on: August 19, 2015, 08:48:35 PM »
'07 Jeep Patriot: 92k miles

I bought the Jeep Patriot new and drive it about 12k a year.  I read somewhere recently that the Average American drives around 13,500 miles per year so while I drive less than average, I still have some work to do to get this number lower.

oneday

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • only good pies and no bad pies -mspym
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2015, 02:39:38 PM »
1997 civic -249k
2004 subaru- 180k
2000 ford-    104k
1997 bmw- 150k

Hoping to push them all into the 300k range!

*sniff* You are making me miss my 1998 Civic 😢 I sold him when the odometer was at 250K miles and it needed about $1K worth of work. Sold To a friend, for her son, who does not drive a stick shift! If I had still been commuting in it,  probably would be over 300K miles by now. But at least the Civic is still on the road doing someone some good.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2015, 03:05:14 PM »
85k on my 2003 matrix. It set in an old ladies garage for a long time before I bought it. :)

otter

• Stubble
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2015, 08:03:22 PM »
2004 Honda Accord with about 50k (I got it in 2011 with 16k on it!)

1993 Nissan Sentra SE-R with about 220k on it - got that one new, but i haven't driven it since 2008. Hope to have it on the road again by winter

1981 Fiat Spider with about 50k

1980 Porsche 911 that's probably in the mid-100s.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!