Author Topic: How many loads of laundry per week?  (Read 47353 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: How many loads of laundry per week?
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2015, 01:31:12 PM »
You could always rent out her room and force her to move in with a brother. . .

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2015, 01:32:32 PM »
Does she have a cell phone?  Because with all the teens I know, a sure way to get your way is to take away the phone until she does her laundry.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2015, 01:37:14 PM »

Now that's funny.

tonysemail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2015, 02:02:43 PM »
we have 4 people and we average 4 loads a week with a bonus load once a month for the sheets.

the next challenge will be to declutter our closets and stop buying more clothes.

it's a bit extravagant to own 10 sets of clothing when I'm washing the laundry every 2-3 days.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2015, 02:13:04 PM »
Others are excited for FIRE, I'm just excited for the kids to just make it through the night without peeing everywhere.

I dream of the day when I can mark pull-ups off the shopping list...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 02:21:28 PM by So Close »

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »
Two adults in my house.  I go a load about every 3 days.  I only do full loads but space out doing them b/c I use the grey water in my garden.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2015, 11:58:01 PM »
You guys must wear less than me :-/

1 person, 2 loads per week.
1 for clothes (2-3 pairs of shorts, 7-10 shirts, bras, sports bras, knickers, socks, sports uniforms)
1 for sheets, bath towel, floor towel, and kitchen tea-towels.

I've noticed that my housemates don't wash their bras very often - they'll wash 1 sports bra and 1 or 2 normal bras per week. I ride to school every day (in 40oC/104oF weather for half the year!), so my bras get a bit gross if I wear them more than twice. Actually... They don't wash their sheets very often either (once a month?).

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2015, 06:02:34 AM »
2 Loads per week for myself and SO.

Super cost effective. We spend ~25/yr on laundry.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2015, 06:04:28 AM »
Single, no pets, no kids.  I do laundry once every 7 to 14 days, usually on cool wash, and line dry outdoors if sunny, or on my laundry rail if raining, takes about 2 days in winter.  I wear clothes more than once, and wear an underslip under dresses/skirts, and an apron when cooking/cleaning to protect my clothes [got those tips from Madame Connoisseur on Youtube!].

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2015, 07:23:30 AM »
Related but unrelated... during the nice-weather days, we line dry as well. One of my great inventions is my scrap lumber laundry tree that cost us a whopping $9.00 for a 4X4 post. The rest of the lumber and the wire was scrounged. I should post a pic. Its so ugly its lovely.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2015, 07:38:20 AM »
For my clothing - probably a bit less than 1 load per week, but my boyfriend throws a few of his things in when he is over - so probably one load per week. I do a load of work clothes (special handling) about every other week.

Kids are about 1 load each per week, maybe slightly less frequent.

Bedding and towels are changed and washed weekly - about 2 loads total.

One load for misc accidents and unfortunate events.

So - 5-6 loads per week for a adult, adult visitor on a regular basis, two kids, 1 dog, 3 cats, and desire to have clean sheets on a weekly basis.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2015, 08:56:13 AM »
4 people, plus a gaggle of poultry. The washing machine never really stops. Probably a load a day on average. Dish towels, cleaning rags, sheets, towels, garden dirt, duck poop, little boy nighttime pee - it all adds up.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2015, 09:21:16 AM »
4 people, plus a gaggle of poultry. The washing machine never really stops. Probably a load a day on average. Dish towels, cleaning rags, sheets, towels, garden dirt, duck poop, little boy nighttime pee - it all adds up.

One of the perks of living in an apartment is having access to multiple commercial machines, so I can efficiently do a bunch of laundry in one afternoon. Otherwise, I'd be running a single loader six days a week.
I'd rather do one load a day/every other day than have to deal with it all at once! 

Having recently acquired poultry, I have not found them to increase my laundry.  This statement has me curious.

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »
Having recently acquired poultry, I have not found them to increase my laundry.  This statement has me curious.

It's more that I'll let garden dirt on my grubby clothes slide for a few days, but once I kneel in duck poop, those clothes are getting washed. If you aren't the type to crawl around where your animals crap, I imagine there would be little impact on laundry. :)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2015, 09:49:02 AM »
I'd rather do one load a day/every other day than have to deal with it all at once! 

Quick note because it might help others: when my baby was little (and puking up on everything, all the time - I was going through multiple outfits a day on both of us, never mind blankets/sheets/couch slipcovers/etc... so much laundry) I noticed that our electricity bill was calculated at X/kwh up to a certain usage, and then a higher rate for usage over that.

So I switched from doing 3-4 loads of laundry in one day to spreading them out over multiple days, since we had to use the dryer and that uses up crazy energy.

Direct effect: 20$ less on our already-low electric bill.

Maybe those who do more laundry and can't line-dry might wanna look into how their electric rate is calculated!

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2015, 09:53:16 AM »

Quick note because it might help others: when my baby was little (and puking up on everything, all the time - I was going through multiple outfits a day on both of us, never mind blankets/sheets/couch slipcovers/etc... so much laundry) I noticed that our electricity bill was calculated at X/kwh up to a certain usage, and then a higher rate for usage over that.

So I switched from doing 3-4 loads of laundry in one day to spreading them out over multiple days, since we had to use the dryer and that uses up crazy energy.

Maybe those who do more laundry and can't line-dry might wanna look into how their electric rate is calculated!

We use the time delay on our washer to make sure we only running the washer during off-peak times. We time it to come on at 7:00 PM than the second load goes in around 9:00PM.

The early wash gets hung outside as soon as its done, the late wash goes out in the morning.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2015, 09:55:36 AM »
A bit under 2.5 for 2 of us...  We each generate our own load of "cold" wash every 7-9 days (depending on temperature & activities), and together we generate one load of "warm" wash every 2 weeks.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2015, 04:57:45 PM »
 Generally four loads a week for two people, this in a smallish older top loader that holds exactly 5 pairs of pants at a time.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »

We're charged less for usage as you use more.  I still line dry everything though, because it's less wasteful.

lil_miss_frugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2015, 09:52:37 AM »
For 1 person, I do laundry once a week with 3 loads, including my towels. I use a new towel and face rag everyday.

Katsplaying

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
Ridiculous amounts: single adult who goes through at least 2 changes of clothes per day (work out togs that stink, then work clothes that actually get dirty, sometimes also date night clothes) plus does the linens from the date night play space.

8-10 loads per week and I run the washer pretty much every time I can fill it.

Yeah, that's a lot. I hang dry all pants but use the dryer for everything else. The city started metering water usage this year and my bill went down a tiny bit until the Spawn & her bf moved in in June. They're moving out next week so it'll be interesting to see how much I can shave off that with just me again.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2015, 11:28:45 AM »
For 1 person, I do laundry once a week with 3 loads, including my towels. I use a new towel and face rag everyday.

I've always found that by using soap when I shower I come out clean . . . and my towel doesn't get terribly dirty.  It gets washed every few months mostly out of habit.  :P

Cornelia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »
Family of four (incl. a 2yr old and 5yr old)

I probably do 5-6 loads per week.

2 loads with family clothes (so nice to hear other people don't sort whites/darks, I thought I was the only one!)
1 misc towels, kitchen linens, kid clean-up cloths (can't wait til the youngest grows out of the sticky, messy phase!)
1 diapers (sometimes 2, he's halfway potty trained)
1 misc. Could be sheets, blankets, mid-week clothes or greasy workshop clothes..

I try and do most wash on the weekend when electric rates are the lowest, then I can line dry outside.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2015, 07:21:07 AM »
Between the 2 of us, probably less than a load per week. I'm a bit surprised at some of the high frequencies on the thread. I get if you have kids that have accidents your usage would go up. But things don't need to be washed all the time, and you can fit a lot into a load.

I've always found that by using soap when I shower I come out clean . . . and my towel doesn't get terribly dirty.  It gets washed every few months mostly out of habit.  :P
Yeah, me too. Just hang it up after use. Eventually it might start to smell a bit and then it gets washed. But it takes months. I wear shorts and sweats for sitting around the house and those don't get washed for a month either. They don't get dirty. Socks, underwear, and shirts get washed after one day's use. But I have 30 or so of those so I go a month between loads.

Katsplaying

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »
I dunno where people live who can hang dry towels and they don't get funky in a day or 2, especially if you shower more than once per day (ie; after workout in the AM, then again after a grungy day at work or before date night). My bathroom must just be a stagnant zone, even though I run the fan during showers and leave the door open always. :P

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »
I dunno where people live who can hang dry towels and they don't get funky in a day or 2, especially if you shower more than once per day (ie; after workout in the AM, then again after a grungy day at work or before date night). My bathroom must just be a stagnant zone, even though I run the fan during showers and leave the door open always. :P
If you're showering more than once per day, just use two towels. Let one dry completely before using it again. Yours are clearly not getting dry. Maybe hang them in a less damp room?

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2015, 09:01:18 PM »
1 person.
About 5 loads/fortnight (2.5 per week).

- I wash work uniform in a separate hot wash (Australian here- for a laundry load with only compulsory uniform in it, there is a $1 tax deduction per load as long as a diary is kept). Once weekly- I have enough uniform for one week.
- Rest of clothes are divided into delicate/wool wash (washed with soapnuts) and things that do better (or tolerate) a more vicious cycle (home made laundry liquid.
- My closet has been pared down to a point where any more reduction will lead to an increase in laundry loads as I start running out of clothes.

I don't own a dryer. For the times where I think a dryer might be really really useful (like, once annually) I'll toddle down to the laundromat.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2015, 12:52:02 AM »
We do a bajillion loads per week. Seriously. Bajillion.

WE have a teen daughter who is of the mindset that as long as she doesn't have to wash/fold it everything is dirty. As soon as we tell her to wash her own stuff, she stops doing laundry and her room starts to stink. We lose either way.

Unless you live in her room, let it stink.  Let social pressures do the parenting for you!  Betcha she doesn't last a month.

You underestimate my kid. We've taken that approach in the past.

Okay, i have teens, so I will add my note here.

We wash about 2-3 loads per week, for a family of 4 (teenagers);   but then once a month to 6 weeks, I need to do a MEGA clothes wash.. just finished 8 loads on the weekend.  I finally counted and realized that my 13 yo son has at least 20 pairs of underwear, maybe more...

Everyone is expected to wash their own clothes, but for the kids, I think I must do about 60% on the mega wash weekends, and 20% for DH.  I wear business clothes, and change to casual when I get home, so my laundry is mostly underwear, a few t-shirts, and a pair of jeans every two weeks.. and one load of delicate business clothes. 

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2015, 08:14:16 AM »
I dunno where people live who can hang dry towels and they don't get funky in a day or 2.

Isn't the PNW notoriously damp?

Yes.

Drying inside in the Pac NW is challenging. Clothes/towels/etc that are wet will mildew or literally grow mold before they dry in many homes, especially from October - May, when the outside humidity is likely to be 100%.

We run a dehumidifier as needed in our bathroom in the winter, and our airflow in that room is actually pretty good by local standards. So making a towel last 2 months between washings or some of the other things I've heard from mustachians in more arid climates is not my frugality hill to die on.

Line drying in the summer isn't bad, though - our summers aren't hot, but they are usually warm and dry enough to get clothes dried within a day. We often toss our damp towels outside to dry after an AM shower.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2015, 10:55:46 AM »

Between the 2 of us, probably less than a load per week. I'm a bit surprised at some of the high frequencies on the thread. I get if you have kids that have accidents your usage would go up. But things don't need to be washed all the time, and you can fit a lot into a load.

So much of this is lifestyle specific.

DH's job involves meeting with business people alternated with repairs that can be quite dirty.  He changes shirts between duties, the dress shirt can last a day or two but he might go through 3 grubby tees in a day.  Jean's can often go two days but not always.

We live far out in the country on a working farm.  Beyond the poop hazards that Erica mentioned, I'm often sweaty and working with dirt, mud, machinery, and itchy things like hay and grains.
My day job is business casual - those can go several wears between washes.
Bath towels and sheets can go months, but we use tons of hand towels and rags.

2 people, 5 loads a week.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »
1-2 per day, easily.  Family of 6.  Most of the loads are towels.  It's amazing how many towels we go through.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2015, 01:47:33 PM »

So much of this is lifestyle specific.

DH's job involves meeting with business people alternated with repairs that can be quite dirty.  He changes shirts between duties, the dress shirt can last a day or two but he might go through 3 grubby tees in a day.  Jean's can often go two days but not always.

We live far out in the country on a working farm.  Beyond the poop hazards that Erica mentioned, I'm often sweaty and working with dirt, mud, machinery, and itchy things like hay and grains.
My day job is business casual - those can go several wears between washes.
Bath towels and sheets can go months, but we use tons of hand towels and rags.

2 people, 5 loads a week.

That. Basically.

My husband and I both work office jobs (business casual: shirts and underthings get washed after a full day of wear, pants get re-worn. Similar to what most people on this thread do.) But then we get home and switch to work gear and deal with the toddler, the barnyard chores, and the general outdoor chores (change #2 of clothes in the day). And then, once the work is done and the kid is in bed, we take a shower and slip into flannel PJ pants or sweats to curl up and read/watch TV for a half-hour before going to bed (change #3 of clothes in the day). And that's not even accounting for the toddler getting into the finger paint (or, when she was younger, puking up on everything that stayed still long enough).

Look: PJ pants get re-worn for most of the week, business wear gets washed when it needs it, farm gear gets washed every two days or so and kept in the machinery room (no way is there chicken poo in my bedroom, not happening)... but with our lifestyle, I can't really see of a way to do less laundry.

As Erica said: could we do better? Possibly, but not without significant effort/sacrifice, and I think there are much better places for us to be putting that energy (places that will save more money, as a starting point). So... not my frugality hill to die on. (Home cooking, minor animal-keeping, the aquaponics set-up I want to start in the spring, no take-out lunches, tailoring and fixing of clothing instead of buying new, limits on electronic gadgets, being a 1-car family and limiting car use... yes. Laundry: high effort, low returns.)

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2015, 03:05:56 PM »

I HATE the smell of mildew.  It really drives me crazy.  And I'm a bit of a clean freak.  I solved the PNW towel-drying problem by buying thinner towels, asking my husband to "shuck himself" (sounds terrible, but basically is just brushing all the water droplets off himself before towel-drying), and then hanging towels on a dining chair if the bathroom is too small/humid.  If you shower twice a day, I'd try rotating two towels.  By the way, a mildewy towel will retain a bit of that bacteria even after washing and be prone to smelling funky again.  I've read that a plain hot wash with just vinegar and no soap will kill off the mildew.

I'm pretty shocked at how much laundry some of you folks do (I totally get that having kids means tons more to clean, talking about homes without kids).  I do a big light and a big dark load every two weeks for clothes and towels for the two of us, plus sheets when it's needed.

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2015, 03:17:54 PM »
One person, one load every two weeks. It helps that I don't sweat much and that I have a desk job without any client-facing duties.
After reading this post, I've been rethinking my clothing habits.  I mean, she lives in the PHILIPINES!  Therefore I know that the heat and humidity of South Carolina is no excuse.  I'm trying to get to the 1 load / 2 weeks benchmark by the end of next month.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2015, 03:54:59 PM »
One person, one load every two weeks. It helps that I don't sweat much and that I have a desk job without any client-facing duties.
After reading this post, I've been rethinking my clothing habits.  I mean, she lives in the PHILIPINES!  Therefore I know that the heat and humidity of South Carolina is no excuse.  I'm trying to get to the 1 load / 2 weeks benchmark by the end of next month.

Cheering you on.  The environment and your wallet will both thank you.  Plus, think about all the time you'll reclaim!  :)

lil_miss_frugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2015, 08:45:58 AM »

Yeah, me too. Just hang it up after use. Eventually it might start to smell a bit and then it gets washed. But it takes months. I wear shorts and sweats for sitting around the house and those don't get washed for a month either. They don't get dirty. Socks, underwear, and shirts get washed after one day's use. But I have 30 or so of those so I go a month between loads.

I'll only reuse a towel on gym days and I'll hang it to dry. Otherwise I fear that they'll start to smell if I use it more than twice.

Rightflyer

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2015, 03:20:27 PM »
Two Adults and 1 Dog

2 loads (whites and coloureds) on most weekends. Hydro is cheaper on the weekends.

On weeks we don't wash, if we need t-shirts/smalls/shorts for farm-work, I handwash them in the bathtub and dry them on the balcony railing.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2015, 05:10:27 AM »
...work out togs that stink, then work clothes that actually get dirty, sometimes also date night clothes...
Hehe. In Queensland, togs are swimming clothes / bathers / costume. So I'm imagining someone working in their swimmers :P

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2015, 09:44:25 AM »
I hope you succeed! Also, I love your avatar!

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2015, 09:58:22 AM »
1 load per week

1 adult 3 kids

I can't figure out how everyone is doing so much more

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2015, 10:17:24 AM »
We do about 2-3 loads per week for a family of 4, and that includes DH in a dirty job  (agriculture).  But I'm in an office job and wear clothes many many times before washing.

For those of you buying pull ups, you might want to consider cloth training pants.  I've not been there or done that, my kids were EC'd and transitioned to dry nights quite easily, so I might not know what I'm talking about.  But I did use cloth diapers as well as EC, and I felt it was a good move.  I can't see why replacing disposable training pants with cloth wouldn't also work.

About towels for those who live in damp environment.  You might want to try turkish towels, which can be had on amazon for $15-$20.  They are thin, not terry, and super absorbent.  My mom got me one as a gift while visiting Turkey, and I liked it so much (and my husband did, too) that we got a 2nd from Amazon.  They dry so fast they don't really have as much time to get the damp stink.  I would get rid of all of my other towels because we only use our turkish towels (one each, maybe washed every 5-6 uses, which for me is about a months worth) but I'm emotionally attached to the other towels and sometimes the kids use them.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2015, 10:17:33 AM »
1 load per week

1 adult 3 kids

I can't figure out how everyone is doing so much more

Do you live in a nudist colony? Only wear swimsuits? Seriously, what's your secret?

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2015, 06:26:52 PM »
I hope you succeed! Also, I love your avatar!
Thank you!
I did a load last weekend, but the contents were slightly different from normal, as I had a couple of shirts whose "time had come."  I think the trick for me will be to have dedicated sleepwear.  I'll let you know if I'm successful!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2015, 08:23:01 PM »
Household of two, myself and my husband, both work in professional settings.

Sheets (one load) and towels (one load) are washed each week, plus two to three loads of clothes.

Oh, I'm spring cleaning at the moment so between loads of clothes I'm also washing our doona cover, blankets, and cushion covers, and giving them a couple of days on the line to air dry.

More info for extra credit: we have a 6kg top-load washing machine, use laundry powder bought on special, and air dry on a mini Hills Hoist on our balcony. We own a clothes dryer but only use it a few times a year, when it's absolutely necessary.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2015, 02:07:53 PM »

Oh, I'm spring cleaning at the moment so between loads of clothes I'm also washing our doona cover, blankets, and cushion covers, and giving them a couple of days on the line to air dry.

Spring cleaning in September - please don't be from Australia. If you live in the northern hemisphere, we are on the same wavelength.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2015, 02:49:19 PM »
I think I do it every two to three months. Switch the sheets out about every 6 weeks, maybe. It's only me and I own a ton of clothes and underwear and hate laundry.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2015, 02:53:43 PM »
One load of cloth diapers every week, two washer loads/one dryer (hang the rest) every week or so. 

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2015, 03:12:55 PM »
I think I do it every two to three months. Switch the sheets out about every 6 weeks, maybe. It's only me and I own a ton of clothes and underwear and hate laundry.
That's a very impressive laundry rate! How large are the loads?

Lindy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Frugal Turtle
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2015, 03:16:14 PM »
One person here.  I probably average 1 load of laundry every week and a half.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2015, 03:42:17 PM »
Oh how I love laundry!

I'm geo-batching right now, so there actually isn't much to accomplish. I wear the same uniform for a week, just re-iron it daily. I also go through 5 undershirts, 2 after work outfits, and 2 sets of workout clothes. Socks. Underwear. I could get away with one load, but I have to separate out the undershirts and bleach them. Otherwise they turn grey and have to be replaced.