Author Topic: How many loads of laundry per week?  (Read 47351 times)

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
How many loads of laundry per week?
« on: September 08, 2015, 11:58:45 AM »
I don't keep a real close count, but we probably do 5-6 loads for a family of 4.  Seems like a lot to me.

Just curious how many loads/week for most mustachians?  Please include household size.

Melf

• Stubble
Re: How many loads of laundry per week?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 12:09:09 PM »
I don't keep track either but it's probably about the same.....5 or 6 loads per week......but that's just for me and the g/f.  I think she generates most of it though.  She uses a towel for each bath/shower and it always ends up on the floor and a beach towel if she happens to get in the pool.  I use one towel for the entire week.  She wears a clean pair of PJ's every night.  I sleep in my birthday suit.  She goes to the office every day in business casual clothes.  I work from home in shorts and tee shirt every day.  Throw all of that together with the bed sheets once a week and all of the other stuff that gets used and needs washed and it seems like laundry is going all week.  I do try to hang quite a bit of the clothes to dry to cut down on dryer use though or hang them while still a little damp.  I also try to take stuff out of the dryer right when the cycle is done to prevent having to run it again to de-wrinkle.  I hate wrinkles!  LOL

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 12:11:44 PM »
We average 5-7 loads per week for a family of five. If they are playing sports that number goes up. Also, my kids are younger, so their clothes are still small. But I guess once they get older they won't be as messy, so maybe it will balance out.

For the record, we don't wash our sheets or towels as much as some people do. I'm not saying I let them go months, but we don't wash them weekly.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 12:11:53 PM »
Guessing about 1.2 loads a week for one person, or 1 every 6 days or so. I re-use my bath towels for a long time, and probably should wash my sheets more often, and wear certain clothes more than once. No pets either. It's kind of seasonal too - more often in the summer as extra sweating, but summer clothes are smaller. I wear more layers in the winter, and bigger clothes.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 12:14:41 PM »
Probably too many.   I agree with the my SO generates more.   I usually wear my casual business pants 3-4 times.    So my total week looks like this.

7 pairs of socks,  7 underpants,  1 towel, 3-4 work shirts,  3-4 T shirts,  1-2 misc.  One load for me.  The wife tends to use more towels and wash every item after every use.   She may be close to double.  So 2 loads?   Then the son is 1 load ---  So 4 loads total?

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 12:15:58 PM »
One person, I do laundry approx once every 7-10 days. No kids but one dog.

I wear clothes more than once. Jeans can go forever, tops usually 2-3x depending on the weather/what I was doing.

I have tons of underwear.

I wash sheets 2x a month. Towels with the weekly laundry.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 12:48:12 PM »
3-4, family of four.

Generally one white, one colored, one overflow (beach towels, etc).

The extra is for sheets, which we change every couple of weeks.

My work pants get worn a few times between washings (like, many).
My work shirts only get washed if dirty or if they don't pass the sniff test. (It's hot right now, I sweat).
7 pairs undies, 7 pairs socks, 2 bras.

We use our towels for a week before washing.

Kids' clothing are small.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 12:51:59 PM »
We're a couple and do one load a week. Two if we're washing the sheets and blankets. We don't give a shit about separating colors or whatever - everything goes in together.

KittyCat

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 12:53:58 PM »
Single person, and I typically one load every 15 days or so.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 12:56:00 PM »
Single person, and a bit of frugal clotheshorse, so I do 2 loads of laundry once every 15-20 days. I don't have on-site laundry and have to go a few blocks to do it, so that motivates me to put it off.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 01:00:41 PM »
2 people
1-2 loads/week

This is from best guess. Most of the time it seems like we do 1-2 loads every weekend. Sometimes 3 if we skip a week or two.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »
2 people
1-2 loads/week

This is from best guess. Most of the time it seems like we do 1-2 loads every weekend. Sometimes 3 if we skip a week or two.

Same thing here.

I don't keep track either but it's probably about the same.....5 or 6 loads per week......but that's just for me and the g/f.  I think she generates most of it though.  She uses a towel for each bath/shower and it always ends up on the floor and a beach towel if she happens to get in the pool.  I use one towel for the entire week.  She wears a clean pair of PJ's every night.  I sleep in my birthday suit.  She goes to the office every day in business casual clothes.  I work from home in shorts and tee shirt every day.  Throw all of that together with the bed sheets once a week and all of the other stuff that gets used and needs washed and it seems like laundry is going all week.  I do try to hang quite a bit of the clothes to dry to cut down on dryer use though or hang them while still a little damp.  I also try to take stuff out of the dryer right when the cycle is done to prevent having to run it again to de-wrinkle.  I hate wrinkles!  LOL

Jesus christ....5-6 loads per week for 2 people.  I mean I rotate between 15-20 dress shirts and 4 pairs of wool dress pants so I rarely wash them.  I am not flithy so they stay clean for a long period of time.  My wife primarily wears scrubs to work so thats that. 

We do 2 loads a week: colors and whites.  1-2 times a month we add in 2 extra loads for blankets and sheets.  Towels are on a once a week cleaning.   

A larger amount of dress shirts will make those dress shirts last so much longer.  I swear I've had this set for about 6 months already and I think some of them are new.  Also, buying duplicate shirts helped me out greatly.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:03:37 PM by Easye418 »

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
2 people
Estimated 1-2 loads per week.

Greg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 01:14:22 PM »
3 people (2 adults 1 teen) = 3 loads per week.  One is sheets and towels, one is our clothes, one is teen's clothes, if that.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »
2-3 for a family of 2.

We always have one of regular clothes. Sometimes there are few enough that we can throw gym clothes into that load too.

If not, we wash gym clothes separately.  (And usually on a small load setting.)

Then we either do a load of delicates or a load of towels/sheets/blankets.  Those alternate based on how many need to be washed.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:42:56 PM by iowajes »

step_away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 01:33:56 PM »
I separate my laundry into light, dark and colored.  So I only do laundry once a month for a total of 3 loads for one person.  Otherwise I won't be able to fill up a full load. 

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2015, 04:56:28 PM »
Gosh, I don't count. I have to wash every other day during the school week because the kids only have 4 uniform shirts each and they have to keep one at school for accidents. So maybe 4 loads a week? And an extra if someone pees the bed? We are a family of 4. The kids usually get too dirty to re-wear their clothes, but their clothes are tiny anyway (they are 3 and 4).

Tigerpine

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2015, 05:17:11 PM »
I do one load of laundry a week.  I could get by without washing for 2 weeks, but then I'd have 2 loads to do...so it's a wash.
(Pardon the pun. ;) )

Teacherstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2015, 05:34:18 PM »
Around 5 per week for 4 people. Two adults and two teens. I don't keep really close track, though. Some weeks might be 6 loads.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2015, 05:39:35 PM »
Family of two.

2-3 loads, depending on if we do sheets/duvet covers. Once in a blue moon we'll have a 1-load week, but it's rare. If we go more than three, it's because we had company who did a number on sheets/towels.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2015, 05:39:48 PM »
Probably averages out to one a week (maybe a little less) between the two of us.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
One person.

2 loads every 3 weeks.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 06:41:41 PM »
4 people.

3 loads a week, a little more if we had bed wetting or washing blankets. 

Most is H, he exercises daily and gets stinky.  He can't re-wear stuff.

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »
I try to keep it to 3 loads a week for the 4 of us. Thankfully no more diapers!!!

FLA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 08:31:44 PM »
household of 3 but all do their own laundry.  I can get it down to 2 loads every 3-4 weeks, changing sheets weekly, towels every few days.  Another load if I do a duvet cover. 

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 08:40:55 PM »
One person, one load every two weeks. It helps that I don't sweat much and that I have a desk job without any client-facing duties.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 04:13:52 AM »
We have a a tiny European w/d.  I do about 3-4 loads a week, which usually includes a load of sheets one week and a load of towels the other.  That's probably 2 loads in am American washer.  Two people in the house. 

Tyn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2015, 04:25:25 AM »
1 person and 1 load a week + 1 extra a month for sheets/towels.  If it weren't for exercise clothes I could stretch it out longer between loads.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 04:48:29 AM »
We have a a tiny European w/d.  I do about 3-4 loads a week, which usually includes a load of sheets one week and a load of towels the other.  That's probably 2 loads in am American washer.  Two people in the house.

Yeah I forget how huge American washers are. We have a tiny high efficiency machine, haven't used a dryer in years.
I rarely re-wear clothes after getting out of the habit living in hot places, and often wear natural fabrics which bleed easily, so separate into warm(reds), cool(blues/greens), and pale colors. In winter, 4 loads/week; spring-autumn, usually 3. Then another 2 of sheets, duvet covers, cloth napkins/dishtowels, etc. DH doesn't trust me to do his, so he generally does 1 load/week. Total (ack!) 6/week, or 7 with all our winter clothes.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 06:06:30 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. My sister has a much bigger machine than I do (we're both in Europe). She loves it though, as there are five of them. :)

I live alone and typically do two loads a week. One at 40c (work clothes (1 pair trousers, 5 shirts/tops), evening/weekend clothes (whatever trousers are due for cleaning plus a couple of tops, perhaps a jumper), 5 or 6 bras, dishcloths, tea towels) and one at 60c (knickers, socks (in winter), hankies, STs/panty liners, cloth TP, towel, face cloth, vests (if I've worn any), small towel that I use as a mat on the floor by the kitchen sink, eco-cloth that I use to clean floor with, any other cleaning cloths I've used, bathmat, if it needs it). Bed clothes get done every few weeks in a separate load.

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2015, 06:36:43 AM »
I have a big American Kleenmaid top loader. 3 adults, 3-4 loads a week and 1 pet load/week.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2015, 06:57:48 AM »
I separate my laundry into light, dark and colored.  So I only do laundry once a month for a total of 3 loads for one person.  Otherwise I won't be able to fill up a full load.

I wouldn't have enough clothes to go all month! 

In college I could definitely do this though- I owned a lot more clothes, and a lot more underwear!  But I've always washed in cold water, so I never sorted laundry (now with husband we sort by stink level... gym clothes get a higher setting on the washer.).

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2015, 08:15:35 AM »
2 adults: about 2 loads per week.
My SO does 1 load per week, I do 1 load every 2 weeks, and we make big loads of towels and sheets every few weeks.
I don't wash my stuff after 1 use (office job non facing customer) and I have a lot of wool items I like to wash by hand, so it's less machine loads.

merlin7676

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2015, 08:16:25 AM »
2 of us...2 loads a week.
Only use undies and work shirts once. But after work shirts 2x. Socks all day-once. a few hours-twice.
Bath towel use all week.
Sheets every 2 weeks

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2015, 08:23:38 AM »

In college I could definitely do this though- I owned a lot more clothes, and a lot more underwear!  But I've always washed in cold water, so I never sorted laundry (now with husband we sort by stink level... gym clothes get a higher setting on the washer.).
Yep, same here. I've expanded a bit now so that I could get through two weeks, just about, if necessary. Because sometimes I do go away for the weekend and might not be organised enough to get everything done in the evenings before I leave. For the same reason, colour catchers (but only the Punch ones, haven't found other brands any good) are a standard thing for me. I could always start just getting clothes in all the same colour but I like the variety and colour catchers allow me to wash things altogether and not have to have way too many clothes/use the machine for just one or two things. I do use them twice though - a new one goes in with the first load and then gets re-used for the second load (which is always the one with socks and towels and things - don't so much care if colours run in any of that).

JJNL

• Bristles
  • Zuinigheid met vlijt bouwt huizen als kastelen
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2015, 08:42:54 AM »
1 person. Most of my clothing is coloured, I do a load of that about once every 10 days. Lights go in with the sheets and duvet cover, I change those out every other week.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2015, 09:22:58 AM »
We do about 1.5 loads a week (usually two loads one week, one load the next) . . . but we've got a gigantic washing machine.  That's for a family of three (usually one load a week when it was just two of us).  All our clothes are washed on cold after soaking for a couple hours in the detergent, we have never had problems with washing coloured and white clothing together.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2015, 09:37:21 AM »
Family of 3 (2 adults, one 16-month-old), and let's say 3-4 loads of laundry a week on average.

We separate out whites, darks, and delicates (because it DOES make my work shirts last longer and look less worn if they're not being bashed about with jeans...). At least a load of darks every week, whites every two weeks, delicates every week and a half or so (aka: when I run out of work dresses and shirts...)

4th load is sheets/random house linens. We wash our bed sheets every 2 weeks (when they start accumulating cat hair), but my daughter sweats in her sleep and soaks her sheets through nightly, so those need changing much more frequently or they smell like stale sweat (charming baby, I know).

Could we do less? probably. Would the time spent managing what the rest of the household is doing with their clothing and linens be worth it to me? Not even remotely. Pick your battles, y'know?

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2015, 09:37:59 AM »
I do one load per week but there are only 2 people in my household. I also hang dry all my clothes to avoid using the dryer.

step_away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2015, 12:28:38 PM »

Eh, I handwash some of the underwear while bathing to make sure I have enough until the next laundry day.  I have an office job and don't sweat a lot so I could get away with re-wearing some of the clothes (e.g. black pants for work or blue jeans on casual Friday).

I always wash cold water, too, but some of my clothes still bleeds particularly the purple, red and black.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:17:17 PM by step_away »

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2015, 12:30:53 PM »
Single person, 1 load per week.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2015, 12:51:26 PM »
My girlfriend and I each do about two loads a week (lights, darks), but often we combine one or both (they aren't large loads), so I'll call it an average of three per week for two people.

We had a roommate at one point that ran the washer/dryer at least twice PER DAY.  I still don't know what the hell she was doing.  And whenever I took a peek, they were always full loads.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2015, 12:55:15 PM »
My girlfriend and I each do about two loads a week (lights, darks), but often we combine one or both (they aren't large loads), so I'll call it an average of three per week for two people.

We had a roommate at one point that ran the washer/dryer at least twice PER DAY.  I still don't know what the hell she was doing.  And whenever I took a peek, they were always full loads.

Oh, man, the water. The electricity. THE TIME. *faints dead away in horror*

Seriously... I've been running the washer/dryer 3-4 times per day this past week (just moved into a new house and our things have been in storage for 5 months for the transition, and all the fabric smelled musty and a bunch had dust on it, so... washing everything before putting it away). NEVER AGAIN am I doing that much laundry. Such a time and money suck... ok for a 1-week transition period, but every day??? Girl, get a hobby!

sunday

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
2 people, 2-3 loads a week.

Mongoose

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2015, 01:02:57 PM »
4 people (2 kids ages 4 and 6). 3-4 loads a week. Down from 8 loads a week when we were cloth diapering.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2015, 01:04:19 PM »
We do a bajillion loads per week. Seriously. Bajillion.

WE have a teen daughter who is of the mindset that as long as she doesn't have to wash/fold it everything is dirty. As soon as we tell her to wash her own stuff, she stops doing laundry and her room starts to stink. We lose either way.

WE have 2 boys who haven't mastered bladder control - especially at night. This means the bedsheets and comforters and mattress protectors often get changed at midnight. Its not uncommon to have to do an emergency bedsheet washing for both beds at once.

On top of that is laundry for parents.

When folding the largest stacks are always the boys, followed closely by the teen, then Momma, then me. Others are excited for FIRE, I'm just excited for the kids to just make it through the night without peeing everywhere.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2015, 01:05:31 PM »

Oh, man, the water. The electricity. THE TIME. *faints dead away in horror*

Seriously... I've been running the washer/dryer 3-4 times per day this past week (just moved into a new house and our things have been in storage for 5 months for the transition, and all the fabric smelled musty and a bunch had dust on it, so... washing everything before putting it away). NEVER AGAIN am I doing that much laundry. Such a time and money suck... ok for a 1-week transition period, but every day??? Girl, get a hobby!
I know!  Our utility bills took a pretty substantial tick down when she moved out.  I don't think she ever "got" why we were so confused/frustrated/blown away by her usage. 

For a while "to save money" she would hand wash her clothes in the tub (using WAY more water than the washer) and then throw them in the dryer to cook for an hour.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2015, 01:25:23 PM »

WE have a teen daughter who is of the mindset that as long as she doesn't have to wash/fold it everything is dirty. As soon as we tell her to wash her own stuff, she stops doing laundry and her room starts to stink. We lose either way.

Unless you live in her room, let it stink.  Let social pressures do the parenting for you!  Betcha she doesn't last a month.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2015, 01:29:51 PM »

Unless you live in her room, let it stink.  Let social pressures do the parenting for you!  Betcha she doesn't last a month.

You underestimate my kid. We've taken that approach in the past.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2015, 01:30:56 PM »

WE have 2 boys who haven't mastered bladder control - especially at night. This means the bedsheets and comforters and mattress protectors often get changed at midnight. Its not uncommon to have to do an emergency bedsheet washing for both beds at once.

On top of that is laundry for parents.

When folding the largest stacks are always the boys, followed closely by the teen, then Momma, then me. Others are excited for FIRE, I'm just excited for the kids to just make it through the night without peeing everywhere.
I feel ya on the boys.  My 3yo is recently potty trained, but using pullups at night.  He still has daytime accidents.
My older son still pees at night.  (My brother was 13 when he stopped, so...).  We use a nighttime pad-type thing, but sometimes he needs the sheets washed anyway mid-week.

The teen daughter - gotta be a way around that.