6 (12.5%)
16-20
2 (4.2%)
20+: I'm a churner to the max!
5 (10.4%)
NONE: credit cards are the worst.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: How many credit cards do you have?  (Read 17421 times)

tomatops

• Stubble
How many credit cards do you have?
« on: March 14, 2016, 02:00:43 PM »
I'm curious how many credit cards folks have. I'm well aware of credit utilization and scoring calculations etc. and I pay off all my cards on time, always. My primary driver for owning cards is the rewards:

- 2 cashback cards that offer 2% on gas and groceries and another one that gives 2% on food establishments and pharmacy
- 1 travel card that offers free travel and trip cancellation insurance every time I use it to book travel
- 1 dedicated movie theatre credit card

I presently have 4 credit cards that provide various tailored benefits and am wondering if that really is too many. Not worried about utilization since I'm good on that front, even if I whittled down to 2 cards - so what about you guys? Am I crazy and should I pare it back?

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
Re: How many credit cards do you have?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 02:02:57 PM »
11 cards between my wife and I, credit scores in the 800's. Get a new card every month or so to churn the bonuses.

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 02:05:22 PM »
11 cards between my wife and I, credit scores in the 800's. Get a new card every month or so to churn the bonuses.

So do you cancel a card every time you get a new one or once the rewards expire?

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 02:06:39 PM »

So do you cancel a card every time you get a new one or once the rewards expire?

We cancel cards if they don't waive the annual fee on the 1 year anniversary.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 02:11:21 PM »
I'm curious how many credit cards folks have. I'm well aware of credit utilization and scoring calculations etc. and I pay off all my cards on time, always. My primary driver for owning cards is the rewards:

- 2 cashback cards that offer 2% on gas and groceries and another one that gives 2% on food establishments and pharmacy
- 1 travel card that offers free travel and trip cancellation insurance every time I use it to book travel

I presently have 4 credit cards that provide various tailored benefits and am wondering if that really is too many. Not worried about utilization since I'm good on that front, even if I whittled down to 2 cards - so what about you guys? Am I crazy and should I pare it back?

Definitely not too many. Between my husband and I we have 8-9 or so, and I don't think that's anywhere near excessive. Each of our scores hover around the 790-800 mark.

Too many to me is where 1) your credit score is impacted in such a way that it has legitimate negative effects on your life - like you would get turned down for a mortgage, or something. This is very unlikely to happen (read: won't) with 4 cards you pay in full. or 2) you've exceeded your own personal threshold for being able to organize and coordinate the cards, so that you miss payments, don't maximize rewards, or the like. It doesn't sound like you have that problem with 4 cards.

What are you getting at when you ask about "too many"? Too many for some arbitrary social requirement? Too many for your credit score? Either way, I think you're fine.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2016, 02:18:32 PM »
You're nowhere near crazy in my book. I have 22. At least, I think? I recently cancelled a couple and then applied for a couple more so I've kinda lost track. It's around 20 for sure.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »
Just got my 20th card last week. I've been hitting the bonuses pretty hard this past year.

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 02:25:07 PM »
15 between Mr and Mrs MacNerd. We just started "churning" last July. Only cancelled one so far. I have about three long-term cards I've had opened for years and years. Those are fee-free and will stay in the pile. The rest will be cancelled when it makes sense.

Our individual credit scores are still awesome, by the way.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 02:26:05 PM »
One for personal, one for business.
No need / desire for any more.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 02:30:15 PM »

You can get the Citi Double Cash or the Fidelity Visa which earn 2% on everything. No AF.

And no, don't pare it back. Your credit score is an asset that can be used to get good cc's with good signup bonuses and rewards, and low interest rate loans. If you don't need the latter in the near future, just keep getting those cc's (so long as you can easily meet the min spend requirements without a bunch of unnecessary spending). Otherwise, your credit score is an underutilized asset.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 02:34:55 PM »
Wow to the answers in the double digits!  I have one, DH has two.  Credit card sign up bonuses are not very enticing in Canada so I just don't bother.

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 02:38:05 PM »

You can get the Citi Double Cash or the Fidelity Visa which earn 2% on everything. No AF.

And no, don't pare it back. Your credit score is an asset that can be used to get good cc's with good signup bonuses and rewards, and low interest rate loans. If you don't need the latter in the near future, just keep getting those cc's (so long as you can easily meet the min spend requirements without a bunch of unnecessary spending). Otherwise, your credit score is an underutilized asset.

Unforunately, I'm in Canada where the 2% Tangerine card I got is the cream of the crop for cash back =(

Thanks for the advice though!

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 02:40:15 PM »

Definitely not too many. Between my husband and I we have 8-9 or so, and I don't think that's anywhere near excessive. Each of our scores hover around the 790-800 mark.

Too many to me is where 1) your credit score is impacted in such a way that it has legitimate negative effects on your life - like you would get turned down for a mortgage, or something. This is very unlikely to happen (read: won't) with 4 cards you pay in full. or 2) you've exceeded your own personal threshold for being able to organize and coordinate the cards, so that you miss payments, don't maximize rewards, or the like. It doesn't sound like you have that problem with 4 cards.

What are you getting at when you ask about "too many"? Too many for some arbitrary social requirement? Too many for your credit score? Either way, I think you're fine.

I don't know - something maybe with being raised with my parents saying: "Don't go crazy with cards!" but purely based on the perspective that one mind inadvertently end up in debt (a problem I don't have).

Also: my friends all remark how outrageously thick my wallet is with loyalty cards and rewards cards. But I guess I'm not crazy if it's a a best practice for maximizing rewards.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 02:55:22 PM »

I don't know - something maybe with being raised with my parents saying: "Don't go crazy with cards!" but purely based on the perspective that one mind inadvertently end up in debt (a problem I don't have).

Also: my friends all remark how outrageously thick my wallet is with loyalty cards and rewards cards. But I guess I'm not crazy if it's a a best practice for maximizing rewards.

Yes, I think this is good advice for people who are at risk of carrying a balance. If you're not one of those people, the advice doesn't apply to you!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 02:59:07 PM »
Two - my regular one that gets me a lot of free groceries, and my no-foreign-transaction-fees travel card. Keeping it simple.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 03:02:33 PM »
I started churning this past year also, so between the wife and I we have a lot.

Credit score still in the 800s. Just make sure you pay that balance off every month.

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 06:25:26 PM »
Zero

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 07:33:56 PM »

Unforunately, I'm in Canada where the 2% Tangerine card I got is the cream of the crop for cash back =(

Thanks for the advice though!

I'm going with the 2% Tangerine card as my primary card.  I've got my old no-fee rewards visa as a backup card and a Costco CC for Costco and restaurants (3% on restaurants, but doesn't used much lol).  For those with a higher income than me, there are much better cards out there like 3%-4% with minimal fees

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 07:58:27 PM »
Wow to the answers in the double digits!  I have one, DH has two.  Credit card sign up bonuses are not very enticing in Canada so I just don't bother.

Pah we've all got nothing on this guy.

nanana13

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 08:03:00 PM »
Two in the US, one overseas.

Edit: plus my corporate card.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:55:51 PM by nanana13 »

meyling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 09:14:05 PM »
O_O you guys are crazy.

I just have one. I might get another one if I ever decide to get into travelling more.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »
About a dozen or so. Open, spend money, get bonus, wash rinse repeat. I've gotten $800 in bonus cash so far in 2016.

...I really need to call and ask for some sort of retention bonus or close some cards

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 03:44:18 AM »
Haven't had one for 30 years.  No loss.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 03:46:31 AM »
I've got one. It's a simple, no annual fee card, fairly low limit, no rewards, no perks and a super-high interest rate. It's enough for my needs, and I pay it off in full each month.

I was considering applying for a second, but I'd rather not get too many enquiries on my file. :)

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 08:21:10 AM »
Also in Canada where rewards aren't extraordinary. I have 4 - 1 personal US card (I'm also a US citizen with a US bank account, so I have the Bank of America Travel Rewards card), 2 personal, and 1 joint card with my partner. 1 personal is a no-fee, low-limit card that I have had the longest. I keep it for online purchases since the limit is lower and it would bother me less to get it stolen. My other personal has a 20$ yearly fee and I receive cash back (going to scale this one down to the no-fee alternative since I realized I make almost all my purchases with joint card). My joint card has a 50$ yearly fee, but shared with the partner, and we receive great cashback with it.

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 08:24:37 AM »
One.  I've used it once in the last three years for a purchase online that I was concerned might be dicey.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 08:27:23 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't opening lots of accounts kill your credit score by decreasing the average age of your account?  Maybe this is a 20-something-who-really-started-working-fulltime-after-grad school-at-24 problem, but that is the biggest negative mark on my credit history.  I pay stuff off on time and have great utilization rates, but my accounts are way too young and (paradoxically) I don't have enough of them.  I could open more to solve the second problem but that intensifies the first one.

To answer your question: 2.  A simple cash rewards card and a Banana Republic card I used to use for work clothing, but would now close if it it weren't my oldest account.

tomatops

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 08:50:31 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't opening lots of accounts kill your credit score by decreasing the average age of your account?  Maybe this is a 20-something-who-really-started-working-fulltime-after-grad school-at-24 problem, but that is the biggest negative mark on my credit history.  I pay stuff off on time and have great utilization rates, but my accounts are way too young and (paradoxically) I don't have enough of them.  I could open more to solve the second problem but that intensifies the first one.

To answer your question: 2.  A simple cash rewards card and a Banana Republic card I used to use for work clothing, but would now close if it it weren't my oldest account.

It seems it's a combination of age of your oldest account + average age of all accounts: https://www.credit.com/credit-reports/tips-for-improving-your-credit-how-long-have-you-had-credit-history/

As a fellow mid-twenties fellow just starting out, I think the age of accounts probably matters more to us than those who have their mortgage paid and greater assets as they'll have to borrow less.

Conclusion: I'm sticking with the 4 cards and will probably keep my older TD Visa and MBNA as they are my oldest accounts.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 09:37:05 AM »

My credit history is only 2.5 years long and with my about 20 cards I still have a credit score that hovers around 730.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 10:00:09 AM »
My average is is 2 years, 4 months.  I have a ~760 770 score.  Sub 740 is not for me, if I can avoid it.

Revelry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »
24.  Hit it hard last year and made a bunch of cashback, credit score ~790.  Slowing down a lot lately since I got the best cash offers and am not real interested in airline/hotel miles.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2016, 10:15:48 AM »
2 main ones
Amex 3%/6% gas/grocery
Citi Double Cash for everything else

churn 1 or 2 others if I need a cheap flight, etc :)

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2016, 10:24:04 AM »
I'm just getting into this fun game :) after reading on this blog and added a 2nd card- capital
the other one i have had for years and years- Chase Freedom. I like this website for researching them, just found it through the blog the other day.  https://www.nerdwallet.com/credit-cards/

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2016, 11:16:32 AM »
How are some of you spending so much to get rewards for 20+ cards? Most have like $3000-$4000 spending requirements. I spend more than most mustachians and put everything on a CC that I can, and still don't do more than 3-4 a year.

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
Most of mine are spend 500 within 90 days... a couple spend $1000 in 90 days if I have a work expense coming up.

kamille

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Neonatal ICU RN
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2016, 11:23:54 AM »
I keep it simple with 1 credit card that gives cash rewards.

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »
How are some of you spending so much to get rewards for 20+ cards? Most have like $3000-$4000 spending requirements. I spend more than most mustachians and put everything on a CC that I can, and still don't do more than 3-4 a year.

That was my biggest concern when starting also, and my expenses are around $10k a year, with maybe half of that being charges I can put on a credit card. One way around this is to look for smaller bonuses, ranging from $500-$1000 requirements, and just space your applications apart so that your natural spending is enough. But for larger amounts, you can manufacture spending, and many bloggers write about how to do this, some of which involve physical trips to buy visa gift cards at X and liquidate them at Y and so on. The ways I've been doing it are mostly ones I can do from home. For instance, paying rent with an online service (I use radpad) might cost a net 1% in fees but $10 is worth it for a $150 reward. Paying state taxes had a 2% fee but again, the reward is much bigger. I have also been doing bank account bonuses, and some accounts let you fund with a credit card as your opening deposit. This is especially easy because you can then pay the credit card bill with that same account.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 12:30:36 PM »
I have one, wife has one.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
3 personal. Discover is my daily, visa sits in the wallet just in case, and the 3rd sits in the drawer. I don't want to close it because it's been open the longest. As of this month, I'm now paying the balance in full every month. (hope I can keep that going!)

1 corporate which I've used once and don't really want.

SuperSecretName

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 01:05:36 PM »
Latest count is 17 open and active.  Most are dormant.

Good credit can be monetized with sign-up bonuses.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2016, 01:19:16 PM »
We probably opened over 20 within the last two years signing bonuses, closed about half of those already.  We have about 4 cards that have been opened the longest, no fees, which we will never close.  If I was going to refi the mortgage or apply for a loan, we would stop churning for about 12 months.  But my credit score has only gotten better since getting into the points game.

Spending mins are easier to meet when you have kids - we have one in a daycare that takes credit cards - and plan applications around large expenses (home improvements, etc).  We also have a HDHP and use CC for all medical bills.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2016, 01:26:11 PM »
Same here. I don't have the time to watch the fine print when churning. The risk of me getting burned is too high. DW has one she uses to build her credit score (we are both fairly young/new to the credit game still at 24/21 years old)

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »
I have 5

Citi Double Cash - 2% on everything
I use on everything

Amex Blue - 3% at groceries
I use at grocery stores

Capital One Quicksilver - 1.5% on everything no foreign transaction
I don't use often but is oldest account and will use if ever need free foreign transactions

Chase Southwest Card Plus
Chase Southwest Card Premier
used 2 chase cards with some home remodeling expenses to get companion pass with southwest but will cancel before 2nd year

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2016, 02:29:01 PM »
My average is is 2 years, 4 months.  I have a ~760 770 score.  Sub 740 is not for me, if I can avoid it.

I couldn't care less what my score is so long as I keep getting approved for new cc's (since I don't plan on getting a mortgage anytime soon). I've never been denied for a cc before, so clearly my ~730 credit score is still good enough to get me more cc's.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2016, 02:32:08 PM »
Same here. I don't have the time to watch the fine print when churning. The risk of me getting burned is too high. DW has one she uses to build her credit score (we are both fairly young/new to the credit game still at 24/21 years old)

I recently did one for $625 after I spend X amount. It's as easy as - 10 minutes to apply - receive cards, use for a couple months til I hit X - redeem rewards - close account. Maybe an hour or two worth of work.

I get paid well, but not $625/hr well. But to make it even better, I typically do all the applying, paying, redeeming, when I'm at work getting paid anyways haha.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2016, 03:23:35 PM »
We have 3:

- Chase Freedom, with 5% on quarterly categories
- Citi Double Cash, with 2% on everything
- Amazon store card, with 5% on everything from Amazon

TheInsuranceMan

• Bristles
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2016, 03:24:40 PM »
I have 2, my wife has 5.
Credit scores 775-790

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2016, 11:56:16 PM »
One card between me and my wife.

bearkat

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2016, 05:11:49 AM »
Add a poll!

I have 4 and wife has 3. We recently cancelled a total of 4 cards after they refused to waive the annual fee.

If you value AA miles at $0.01/mile, we got >8% cash back on our purchases in 2015 and I'm sure others did way better. If you're going to optimize expenses, you might as well optimize earnings and free money is hard to beat.

ransom132

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2016, 05:15:33 AM »
I have 2, 1 I use on a regular basis (Cash back) and the other as a backup especially when I travel, if I lose my regular credit card, my second will come in handy. I hardly ever use the second credit card though.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!