Author Topic: How low is your rent?  (Read 11132 times)

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
How low is your rent?
« on: February 14, 2014, 02:07:33 PM »

How much do you pay for rent + utilitis? I don't think I would count mortgage payments in this because that's just different. I'm single/live alone and pay $872 for rent+internet and I don't have any utilities otherwise. This is for a studio about 9 miles from work. It also has a gym on site so that's some savings right there because I use that quite a bit.
I'm on a quest to lower this amount as much as possible so trying to see what the rest of you guys doing/paying.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
Re: How low is your rent?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 02:09:54 PM »
$750 for a 2BR +$94 for energy + $70.25 for internet.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »
$1650 (3 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom) split among four, soon five adults.  Oswego, IL.

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 02:50:04 PM »
$1,860 for a 1BR, 1BA (split between my fiancee, on the MMM boards as 'lentils5eva', and myself).  Astoria, NYC.  As per NYC law, heat and hot water are included.  Internet comes in at another $65, and then electric and gas probably average about $150 or so per month.  So figure about another $215, bringing the total to just shy of $2,100.

And if you weren't REALLY JEALOUS ALREADY, I think it clocks in at just under 600 square feet. 

Kidding aside, we actually love it, it's a great fit for our budget, and it's actually a bit underpriced for our awesome neighborhood.  We'll probably remain here till we GTFO of NYC.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 02:54:00 PM by ioseftavi »

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 02:52:05 PM »
$850 for a 2BR 900 sq. ft. house in Cincinnati.  Places with nicer amenities/updates easily run $1200+ around here - insanity!

hedonismFTW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • PHENOMENAL COSMIC BADASSITY - itty-bitty mustache
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »
My time to shine!

4BR 3BA duplex, $1000 that we split with another couple +$150-250 utilities +$60 internet =>~600-650/month for SO and I.

I know ours is VERY low because it's a small city in TX, and our landlady gave us a really good deal (normally $1250+ for the space). Unfortunately our utilities get kind of high because of non-mustachian roommates and Texas summers :/ We also live in a 'poorer' area, but honestly it's mostly families or frugal college kids, so we don't mind.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 03:09:02 PM »
I think location plays alot into this, as does the condition of the property.

Seattle - 4 bedroom house w/unfinished basement, walking distance from downtown - $1000 a month + 150 water + 150 electric + 50 gas + 60 internet = $1410. But the place is cheap for the location but very run down.

Square footage? No idea. I'd guess around 3000 or so, plus whatever the basement is (another 1500?)

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 03:15:26 PM »
I pay $480 for a really nice two-bedroom apartment in a great neighborhood in Minneapolis. My roommate pays $610. I get a discount because my parents own the condo.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 03:36:51 PM »
I pay $35/week, including utilities, and I have 2 housemates. But I live in government subsidised accommodation because I'm a teacher. Other people in this town would pay ~$400/week for this house.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 04:14:58 PM »
I live in a ~780 sqft (1br/1ba) apartment with my SO who has been lurking around the forums not posting.  The complex is in the greater Fredericksburg area near lots of commercial space and a new hospital.

Rent:  $1143
Electric:  ~85
Water/Trash:  ~40
Internet:  $30

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »
$500 a month, and electric is usually like $25.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »
Downtown Seattle, International District: wife and I live in a 600 sqft 1BR/1.5BA apartment for $900/month. Just got the utility bill: $37 for electric, water, sewer, trash (this covered Christmas and we were out of town for a week, so it would probably be ~$5-10 higher normally). Newly renovated space.

BUT...
It's an interior apartment with no windows, just a skylight. I think the window-endowed people pay another $100-150/month. We live just above a restaurant that stays open really late every night, so we have to drown out all the noise to sleep. Parking in the garage in the building is $175/month, and nearby lots will charge $200+ for monthly 24-hour parking. We park in a lot about a mile away in SODO for $77/month. There's no washer/dryer in unit, but there is a washer and dryer on our floor for $1.50 each cycle (and they installed credit/debit readers! No more hoarding quarters!) The only problem with the place is that the front callbox has been broken since we moved in, so it's almost impossible to get packages delivered.

Most rentals I've seen advertised on CL for 1BRs go for $1100-1200/month, and many have $50/month fixed water charges that would obviously be disadvantageous for us. We're thinking about moving out when our lease is up, but it seems like we're getting an awesome deal in terms of raw minimizing of our housing costs.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 06:37:42 PM »
Downtown Seattle, International District: wife and I live in a 600 sqft 1BR/1.5BA apartment for $900/month. Just got the utility bill: $37 for electric, water, sewer, trash (this covered Christmas and we were out of town for a week, so it would probably be ~$5-10 higher normally). Newly renovated space.

BUT...
It's an interior apartment with no windows, just a skylight. I think the window-endowed people pay another $100-150/month. We live just above a restaurant that stays open really late every night, so we have to drown out all the noise to sleep. Parking in the garage in the building is $175/month, and nearby lots will charge $200+ for monthly 24-hour parking. We park in a lot about a mile away in SODO for $77/month. There's no washer/dryer in unit, but there is a washer and dryer on our floor for $1.50 each cycle (and they installed credit/debit readers! No more hoarding quarters!) The only problem with the place is that the front callbox has been broken since we moved in, so it's almost impossible to get packages delivered.

Most rentals I've seen advertised on CL for 1BRs go for $1100-1200/month, and many have $50/month fixed water charges that would obviously be disadvantageous for us. We're thinking about moving out when our lease is up, but it seems like we're getting an awesome deal in terms of raw minimizing of our housing costs.

Seems high to me, especially with a broken callbox. I've lived in an apartment with that problem, and its very frustrating.

I'm also in Seattle, BTW, but not quite that close to downtown.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 07:27:08 PM »
Our other problem was that we were looking for housing in June/July, and it was ridiculous. We'd look at a place one day and it'd be taken the next. That happened to us twice, literally overnight. This was the cheapest place we looked at, so there's definitely a market for tenants at these prices.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 07:49:29 PM »
Rent: $0; employer-provided
Internet and cable: $0; employer-provided (don't give a fart about the cable, though)
Electricity: ~$15
Gas: ~$16.75
Water and trash: ~$11.30

Total: ~$43.05

This varies month to month, of course, but the above numbers are 2013 averages.

EDIT: forgot to post that this is in South Korea.

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 08:45:50 PM »
$1588 for two bedroom, one bath in east Los Angeles County. 900 square feet shared with sweetheart. Generally run down and crappy.

$55 for trash and water
$50 for electric
$45 for Internet

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 08:49:51 PM »
Our rental house is 3BR, 2BA, 1,500 square feet on a quiet street with a nice lot and shop, and rents for $850 per month, which is $93 less than we pay for the mortgage, unfortunately.  It's in Nampa, Idaho, which is pretty low COL, but has a decent rental market.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »
Our other problem was that we were looking for housing in June/July, and it was ridiculous. We'd look at a place one day and it'd be taken the next. That happened to us twice, literally overnight. This was the cheapest place we looked at, so there's definitely a market for tenants at these prices.

Crazy. Luckily I was always looking in the winter, so it was easier for me.

KLina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 10:12:25 PM »
We're doing pretty well in Forest Hills (Queens), NY paying $1,500 for a 2-bedroom near(ish) the subway in a good school district. That's quite low for the area. Heat and hot water are included, we pay $70 per month electric, around $15 for gas and $45 for internet. So, $1,630 altogether.

The bad: The unit is 750 square feet, and there are 5 of us (3 kids.) We have no washer/dryer or dishwasher, and no central air. The building is heated to a balmy 85(+) degrees all winter. We can't wait to get out of NYC!

ETA: We feel really safe and comfortable here, and we have nice neighbors. I really shouldn't complain!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:14:43 PM by KLina »

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 03:22:48 AM »
$660 for two bedroom house, all utilities paid for.

And yet we still keep the thermostat set to 62 degrees. Either my gf is secretly mustachian, or we are just hot bodies (I know I am).

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 03:43:06 AM »
This is directly related to were you live…

I live within walking distance of Basel old town and pay ca 1,600 $ for a one bedroom apartment (55 m2, about 600 sqf).  If we add electricity, internet and TV licence then plus another 150$. All this for a single guy, about average for my area and size of the apartment. By far the biggest item on my spending list.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 03:47:03 AM by Albert »

panthalassa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 05:33:46 AM »
$1200 rent
$150-200 for utilties (gas, power, water, recycling/trash)

It's a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom 1200 sq apartment 3 years old and includes insuite-laundry and all applicances with a 2nd floor balcony and underground heated parking.  It's very nice.

Expensive, but it's a 3 minute walk to work and is worth it.  A roommate takes $750 off my expenses.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 07:28:41 AM »
$900 3br 1.5 bath. Utilities could be 150-250 depending on the season. Internet, cable and landline  is about $35. All divided by 3.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 08:56:40 AM »
Probably not relevant for you!

City: Beijing
Currently renting a tiny, two-level studio w/balcony in a historic neighborhood near the Forbidden City.
Rent: US $550/month
Electrics: Average $35/month (including heat)
Water: $5/month
Internet: Included
Cable: You kidding me?
VPN: $5/month
Prepaid mobile (not smart)phones: $15x2

August 2014: Once I start my new position at my current organization, we'll move to a 1 or 2-bedroom flat paid for by my employer, about twice the size, on the east size of town in some soulless high-rise.
Rent: US$2,500/month (I'll pay nothing for rent or utilities)

Edited to add info.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:02:36 AM by expatartist »

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 09:39:20 AM »
I pay $35/week, including utilities, and I have 2 housemates. But I live in government subsidised accommodation because I'm a teacher. Other people in this town would pay ~$400/week for this house.

Wow.  So many years I've spent teaching, and not a single dollar in government subsidies for housing.  Or anything, for that matter. 

We pay $1525 for a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath house on a corner lot with a big, fenced yard with a nice deck in a quiet, lovely neighborhood where the kids all play together and run back and forth between the houses.  Walking distance to exactly nothing.  :/  But it is nice for the kids. 

We're responsible for all the utilities, so it adds up.  Water/sewer is about $80 a month, electricity also about $80, gas is $70-$90 in the winter but less than $20 in the summer, garbage is $25, just switched companies to lower phone/internet so now that's $55 a month.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:52:26 AM by Freckles »

ashley

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2014, 12:17:05 PM »
Downtown Sacramento: 1 bedroom house, 700 square feet

Rent: $875 (would be $825 but I pay $50 extra for a private detached garage)
Utilities: $50-80

I'm probably overpaying, but I really like where I live. It's a charming little house.

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2014, 12:51:40 PM »

It's good to know it's not like that year-round! We're going to try to fix the timing this year. We tried asking our management if we can move into a different unit mid-lease and renew, but they won't let us do it. So we can either try to renew our current lease for only ~6 months when it's up, or we'll have to do the crazy apartment dance again.

One other important factor: we just arrived in Seattle and were looking for a place that was immediately available. We were sleeping in our van parked on the street at friends' places, and my wife had already started working. We were pretty desperate.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 07:23:33 PM »

It's good to know it's not like that year-round! We're going to try to fix the timing this year. We tried asking our management if we can move into a different unit mid-lease and renew, but they won't let us do it. So we can either try to renew our current lease for only ~6 months when it's up, or we'll have to do the crazy apartment dance again.

One other important factor: we just arrived in Seattle and were looking for a place that was immediately available. We were sleeping in our van parked on the street at friends' places, and my wife had already started working. We were pretty desperate.

Yeah, look in February (now) for some crazy good deals. I'm only having problem finding something cause of the 4 animals.

But I understand needing something right away makes it harder.

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2014, 11:17:01 AM »
I'm glad that I'm not super high up there among mustachians.
But I still feel that I could spend less. Realistically I could get down to 400/mo but I would have to share a room with someone. If I knew other mustachians in my neighborhood that would be purrrrfect.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2014, 12:26:57 PM »
We pay $732 for a 1 bedroom apartment in Vancouver, BC. Includes utilities. Around 600 square feet.

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2014, 02:44:56 PM »
I'm glad that I'm not super high up there among mustachians.
But I still feel that I could spend less. Realistically I could get down to 400/mo but I would have to share a room with someone. If I knew other mustachians in my neighborhood that would be purrrrfect.

To me, that would be worth it save over $400 a month.