Author Topic: How long should I stay at my first job?  (Read 3998 times)

cnash1303

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How long should I stay at my first job?
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:53:24 AM »
I don't want to reveal everything about myself, but I will reveal enough that is relevant to the question...

- Both Wife and I just graduated college
- I get paid 35k a year
- My wife isn't licensed to teach in this state, but is in our home state. She is a teachers aid now and gets paid less than 10k a year
- Neither of us are particularly attached to our jobs
- A job has opened in our home town that she could take...and get paid 35k a year, but I would have to quiet my job.
- There may be a place in this same town who has had their eye on me for awhile, but I only heard it through the grapevine

The real kicker...We've been at these jobs for 1 year in May. I don't want my next employer to think I have commitment issues, and I also don't really want to leave on bad terms. Is it to early to start looking for a new job?

norabird

• Walrus Stache
Re: How long should I stay at my first job?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:56:37 AM »
One year is perfectly fine. You have no obligation to stay longer. Always put yourself first--companies do.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 09:00:04 AM »
In my opinion, it's never too early if you have a good reason. Moving is one of those reasons.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 09:21:49 AM »
If it is anxiety about future employers seeing a short duration employment, all you need is the story you just told.  It's when people go all shifty eyed when asked about it during the interview that it's a red flag.

"So why did you leave this position after only one year?"

The right answer:  "Well, my wife was having trouble transferring her licenses to that state, which we weren't expecting, so when she found a job back home we figured it would be easier for me to get a job there then continue with her underemployed near that job."

The wrong answer:  "Definitely not because they found me out back injecting heroin into my eyeballs!"

At a job interview I actually really like to hear:  "It just wasn't a good fit so I moved on."  Really don't like people who will stick around someplace they are unhappy.

dreams_and_discoveries

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 09:22:03 AM »
I'd go for it - relocation to a home state seems like a perfectly good reason to move - and you should also look at it as a stepping stone up.

cnash1303

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 09:49:52 AM »
Thanks guys, a lot of good answers and encouragement. I'm talking to my wife right now, and I think all we needed was a little push to be honest with one another.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 10:03:58 AM »
I stayed with my first Big Girl Job less than one year; I hated it, had moved states for it, etc. I think moving back to your preferred geography is a great reason to give if anyone asks. It's totally true, "We wanted to be nearer family/back in our home state" or whatever--that actually, I think, sounds good to employers, because it means you have ties in the area and a reason to stay there.

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 10:21:52 AM »
You're fine. I've done a lot of hiring, and what hiring managers look for is a candidate who had a good reason to leave. Moving home is a GREAT reason and shows you're committed to your hometown, which will play in your favor. Your wife had a great opportunity, and it brought you back to your hometown. That's what we like to call "a strong narrative."

Red flags in interviews are people who blame others for leaving a job (my boss, my coworkers), and unexplained gaps. It's OK to say you took time off to care for an ailing parent or spouse, it's not OK to say you got sick of your job and went on a six month drinking binge, which is what we assume if you aren't forthcoming. I will probe for reasons if work durations tend to be under a year or two, but especially early in a career, you want people who move into bigger and better things.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »
In my opinion, it's never too early if you have a good reason. Moving is one of those reasons.
+1

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 11:06:15 AM »
A bit over 18 months. A year would have been fine though. As long as you have a reason that isn't dumb or blaming other people, any place you'd want to work won't think anything of it.

You wife's license issue is perfect, it's a solid and logical reason.

jaytomlinson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Less is more
    • Jay Tomlinson Publishing
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 09:29:30 PM »
My advice is do what feels right. Don't worry about staying some set amount of time just to please your employers. They could also cut ties with you whenever they feel like it - it's a two-way street. Weigh the pros and cons of each decision and do what makes you happy. The money will follow.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 12:28:34 AM »
Depends on the person doing the observing.

I had an interesting conversation with my husband last night about looking for a new job. He said to me that my habit of constantly chopping and changing jobs could be construed as a bit flakey. He said it nicely of course, but that was the gist.

I started with this company in 2006. From 2010 to 2012 I was on a secondment with a different department, and for 8 months in 2012 I left to work for another company for a period but then went back. Apparently 10 years with a couple of forays into different departments isn't stable.

So to people like him I change jobs too much. Having said that, I don't think he's normal. Lovely, but not normal!