Author Topic: How Long Does It Take For A Bank To Fix An Error In My Favor?  (Read 1798 times)

pjm123a

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How Long Does It Take For A Bank To Fix An Error In My Favor?
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:36:48 AM »
My wife tried to cash a check a little ways back. She went to a different branch than the one she usually goes to. Instead of depositing most of the check and getting $150 in cash this branch handled it as a deposit for the full check amount and a withdrawal of $150. This produced 2 transaction slips. Via on-line access I see the deposit going in but no withdrawal. After about 3 weeks still no withdrawal. I try to do the right thing. I call the bank's 800 number and wait on hold for about 15 minutes. I then explain the error and I even gave them all the identification information off the paper slips that I still have. They say the see the error and will correct it. It will take about 3 days. That was about 2 weeks ago. They have still not deducted the $150 from my account. I am not about to waste any more of my time trying to get them to fix this.

So the question is: Have I just come into a $150 windfall or will they figure this out eventually? I mean really in this day and age, how long does it take them to figure this out? If they haven't done it by now, does this mean they never will?

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
Re: How Long Does It Take For A Bank To Fix An Error In My Favor?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 07:46:16 AM »
**Desperately fighting the urge to make a Monopoly joke....

I would just act like the money wasn't in my account. Kind of like a check that you have written to a friend and they haven't cashed it yet. The bank will get to it eventually. You can count on that.

socaso

• Pencil Stache
Re: How Long Does It Take For A Bank To Fix An Error In My Favor?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 02:29:07 PM »
I had a similar situation and they eventually corrected the error and took the money back. It's annoying to have to tell them again but I would do it. Go into the branch if you can. Tell them they are messing up your books!