Author Topic: How long after the stomach flu would you visit someone?  (Read 14766 times)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
How long after the stomach flu would you visit someone?
« on: December 21, 2016, 04:16:50 AM »
I really don't want anyone in my family to get the stomach flu, as we leave on the 26th for a trip to Mexico.

My neice last threw up Tuesday at noon. We are supposed to go stay with them today (Wed) at 5 pm.

I'm sure my neice is OK, but I'm worried about the barfing chain reaction in which someone else falls I'll right as we arrive, passing it all around in a vomit relay.

It's a household of 4, plus our 4.

Family dynamics are involved and H and I do not agree on what is reasonable.

westtoeast

• Bristles
Re: How long after the stomach flu would you visit someone?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 04:36:37 AM »
I gave the stomach flu to a few people last year  even though I waited 48 hours to see them. Not a medical opinion of course. If you do get hit with it, try taking activated charcoal pills. You could even take them preventively. Again, not a medical opinion but try googling it!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 04:48:53 AM »
I heard that the flu could spread from a few days before it broke out to approx 2 days after the breakout. So I advice you to not visit them now. This is too soon.

I am not a medical person either.

Dezrah

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 07:25:53 AM »
Influenza is a very real, very serious illness.  You and your family should be getting vaccinated for it yearly.  I would discourage using the term "stomach flu" unless you're sure she had Influenza.

If she was just sick and throwing up, it's more likely she had food poisoning which is less likely to spread if everyone is very careful about hygiene.  If there were also aches and fever, that's more likely to be a viral infection which can linger longer. 

I think it's reasonable to come to the house but strictly avoid direct contact with the niece.  For now, steer clear of her bedroom and bathroom, wash hands frequently, and don't touch your face.

Short anecdote:
My mom became incredibly sick in the middle of a 60 person week-long event in close quarters.  She was sick from both ends all night long and couldn't eat for a solid two days.  There were doctors in the group and their only suggestions were that everyone wash their hands very frequently, don't share anything, and use paper towels (not cloth towels) when drying hands.  Not one other person got sick.  We figure she picked up a bug from the cut fruit put in the drink she had while waiting to pick people up at the airport.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »
Depends on the particular pathogen responsible for the infection. I had stomach virus last week with symptoms that were consistent with norovirus etiology. This highly contagious virus can be shed into the environment (via feces or vomitus) for several days after symptoms resolve. Also can stay viable on surfaces and infect people for days to weeks. Norovirus has been spreading like wildfire in the SW lately.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 06:16:42 PM »
My vote is that it's better to err on the side of caution.  Don't be the monkey in Outbreak.

begood

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2016, 08:52:35 AM »
Anecdotally our elementary school has had an outbreak of a 12-18 hour stomach bug, but it's taking DAYS to pass from one kid to the next. School got out for the holidays on Fri Feb 16 but two of the kids just got the bug on Tuesday. Same exact symptoms and trajectory. So I'd be super cautious, especially since you're going out of the country.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 09:09:10 AM »
Norovirus has been incredibly rampant this year. Noro is what most people mean when they refer to "stomach flu". It isn't a type of influenza at all.

An excellent article for those curious: http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/01/02/the-norovirus-a-study-in-puked-perfection/

Anyway, an important point of note is that Noro lives quite well on surfaces, so in addition to concerns about you being contagious still, you need to worry about your environment still being contagious. Thorough cleaning with a dilute bleach solution is highly recommended.

And I actually *am* a medical person (nurse), but obviously this is not meant to diagnose, treat, etc, and is meant to be informational and not substitute a clinic visit!

Also, just in case, don't be the one to prepare any food: http://www.webmd.com/children/norovirus-symptoms-and-treatment#1
And know the signs of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance: http://www.medicinenet.com/norovirus_infection/article.htm http://www.medicinenet.com/dehydration/page3.htm

socalteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 12:53:30 PM »
I have been teaching for 15 years and I can tell you that if you are around someone within a few days of getting the "stomach flu" someone in your family will pick it up and continue the chain reaction. The only positive is that it only lasts about 24 hours.

Our school has a 24 hr policy from last episode and I can literally watch it rip through my classroom like wildfire. Our family has a policy of not going to someones house or coming to ours for 10 days if they have had it.

Stash Engineer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 01:04:50 PM »
I'm not a medical person (nor do I play one on TV), but I always say "better safe than sorry".  If I wasn't traveling internationally in a couple days, I would be more likely to chance it, but the fact that you are...I ABSOLUTELY would not go.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »
I really don't want anyone in my family to get the stomach flu, as we leave on the 26th for a trip to Mexico.

My neice last threw up Tuesday at noon. We are supposed to go stay with them today (Wed) at 5 pm.

I'm sure my neice is OK, but I'm worried about the barfing chain reaction in which someone else falls I'll right as we arrive, passing it all around in a vomit relay.

It's a household of 4, plus our 4.

Family dynamics are involved and H and I do not agree on what is reasonable.
At least a week.  Probably more like 2.

So, my little guy got the stomach flu four times last winter.  Once we all got it, once his big bro got it, last two it was just him.

Typically, for us, we end up coming down with it 2 days after contact.  So, kid #1 barfs on Saturday.  Daddy starts barfing on Monday.  Mommy gets it on Weds.

However, as we REALLY try to keep people isolated, we've gotten better ... sort of.  It drags it on, to be honest.  Last Thanksgiving:
1. First contact was Thursday night. - Day 1
2. Kid #1 starts barfing on Saturday morning.  Then again Saturday night - Day 3
3. We are due to leave on vacation on Sunday.  We hold off a day.  We start driving Monday afternoon. - Day 5
4. Monday night, Kid #1 has a relapse and barfs in the hotel. - Day 5
5. Tuesday morning, Kid #2 starts barfing.  - Day 6
6.  Husband finds a Lowe's and buys 4 paint buckets.  We drive 6 hours back home.
7.  Kid #2 barfs in a gas station. - Still Day 6
8.  Mom and dad driving while nauseous, but we didn't eat anything.
9.  Mom and dad get sick on Thursday (Thanksgiving). - Day 8
10. Kid #2 throws up again on Thanksgiving - Day 8.
11. Everybody better by Sunday - Day 11
12. Worst. Vacation. Ever.

My friend's family all got it around the same time and they cleaned the house twice but 2 weeks later her mother came over and got it.  That stuff can live on surfaces for 2 weeks.  Gotta bleach everything - and even then, I think it's 50/50 (based on my experience) whether you'll prevent the spread or delay.

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2016, 02:31:04 PM »
Dont chance it. They should understand. Might depend on how old the kid is and if anyone else in that household go it.

Really little ones tend to get sick and adults do not(say like up to age 3-4) necessarily get it too.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 12:21:53 AM »
This Christmas visit to family members also was an infection visit. One sick 2 year old who wanted to give pieces of chocolate to everyone with his hands that were not clean. I declined, because I was very sceptic about getting sick. Result: DH and FIL quite sick for one day. My stomach restless, but otherwise fine.
My advice: stay away from contagious people if you can or at least avoid close contact.