Author Topic: How far would you commute?  (Read 4330 times)

azu612

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How far would you commute?
« on: December 17, 2017, 08:52:46 AM »
How far would you commute for good schools?  We know it's not necessarily the distance, but more the time on the road.  The excellent schools are about 50-60 minutes each way and the good schools are about 10-15 minutes each way.

surfhb

Re: How far would you commute?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 09:00:47 AM »
You think your children will suffer if they go to the good school rather than the excellent school?   Doubtful. 

So many variables go into a child's development....the type of school they go to is low on the list.  IMO anyway.    If were talking about the ghetto schools than thats a different story.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 09:02:21 AM by surfhb »

azu612

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 09:23:11 AM »
The good schools are definitely not ghetto.  The excellent schools are some of the best in the country.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »
Best in country schools sounds like something to actively avoid.

azu612

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 01:25:46 PM »
It's funny you write that because one of the things I am concerned about are the crazy pressure cooker expectations.  That's one of the turn offs on my list.

Carrie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
2 miles. That's my commute for school. We're at the best in the state, but far from best in the country. The pressure at a top school and the social expectations would probably be too much for my kid's mental wellbeing. I don't need him to have a nervous breakdown over something like school.

Sarah Saverdink

• Stubble
    • The Saverdinks
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 04:30:09 PM »
You think your children will suffer if they go to the good school rather than the excellent school?   Doubtful. 

So many variables go into a child's development....the type of school they go to is low on the list.  IMO anyway.    If were talking about the ghetto schools than thats a different story.

Ghetto often refers to the poorest and most segregated areas of a city - the term, particularly as used in this reference, can have racist implications. This type of comment perpetuates the idea that "only white schools are good" and schools with a diverse student body are not. Please reevaluate your usage of this term.

surfhb

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 12:39:43 PM »

Ghetto often refers to the poorest and most segregated areas of a city - the term, particularly as used in this reference, can have racist implications. This type of comment perpetuates the idea that "only white schools are good" and schools with a diverse student body are not. Please reevaluate your usage of this term.

Oh brother.    OK....The PC police are out in force.    Yep....The term ghetto COULD have implications attached to it.   You are correct ;)

The fact remains that some school districts are far worse off than others.    I would never send my child to a Los Angeles District school and would gladly drive a 50 mile commute make sure that would not be the case.         
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 12:45:14 PM by surfhb »

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 12:59:02 PM »

Oh brother.    OK....The PC police are out in force.    Yep....The term ghetto COULD have implications attached to it.   You are correct ;)

The fact remains that some school districts are far worse off than others.    I would never send my child to a Los Angeles District school and would gladly drive a 50 mile commute make sure that would not be the case.         

I have no dog in this fight, but I winced when I read your comment too.  You should be aware how it comes off, especially if that's not what you intend.

doneby35

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 01:11:34 PM »
The poorest and most segregated areas include white people. Not all whites are rich, therefore the term is not racist. Not sure why every conversation on here lately has someone complaining about racism/sexism/whateverism.

In regards to your question, I would say, the good school that's also closer is a good enough option.

Illinick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 01:32:16 PM »
Tough decision, but I'm with most here that the closer "good school" is probably the best option.  The fact is if your children are innately hard workers, good students, etc. who enjoy academia then a "top school in the country" isn't going to ultimately make them a better student.  It's their internal drive and desire that will make them the best student to the best of their ability whether a good school or top in the country.  They do not need the added pressure of "this is the top school in the country and we act like it" type pressure/mentality.  If they are as I describe above they'll be their own best motivator and continue to have a positive cultural/social life being closer to home, friends, family. 

jaybomb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 08:00:58 AM »
Not sure why every conversation on here lately has someone complaining about racism/sexism/whateverism.

I dunno man, maybe because racism/sexism is bad and it should be called out when spotted?

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 10:24:26 AM »
I've done an hour commute, and I've done a 15-minute commute.

Hour commutes suck.  I would not do it solely for a "best" school if "good" schools were available. 

My criteria for a "good" school was:
a) has a librarian, art teacher, and music teacher at every school  [I moved to a 45-minute commute once when the local schools where we lived threatened to cut librarians]
b) has an actual all-day GT program [I have a kid who needs lots of intellectual stimulation or he's a behavior problem]
c) has enough desks and books for each kid
d) has an AP or IB program in high school/advanced math starting in junior high
e) doesn't have a ton of police reports for the school/known gang issues
f) has a variety of extracurriculars for middle- and high-school kids
g) has a sizable population of kids who don't look like mine (race, language, religion, socioeconomic status)

My kids will thrive wherever, because we're involved, well-educated parents.  I want the school environment to be safe, not awful, and provide them ways to enjoy learning.

justplucky

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 10:51:59 AM »
<LIST>

Thank you, formerlydivorcedmom. We're looking at buying a house and I'm struggling with how to determine whether schools are "good" or not, besides looking at GreatSchools ratings (which I've heard aren't actually a great indicator). This is a helpful, values-based list.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 11:02:23 AM »
How far would you commute for good schools?  We know it's not necessarily the distance, but more the time on the road.  The excellent schools are about 50-60 minutes each way and the good schools are about 10-15 minutes each way.

Commuting an additional hour and a half each day to avoid what you describe as "good" schools sounds like a sure-fire recipe for conflict and misery.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »

The poorest and most segregated areas of a city typically do have bad schools.  Just about every study I've read on the matter indicates that this is as near to a truism as exists in education.  It has nothing to do with black/white, but simply the realities of wealth disparity.

On a more personal note, I have often used the term 'ghetto' to imply crappy or poor without thinking about it.  It's a habit that I picked up when living in what was generally referred to as a 'student ghetto' while going to university.  I actually looked up the origins of the term because of your comment.  There have been white ghettos (as existed in Ireland during the troubles, or in Venice where the term originated to refer to the Jewish quarters of the city), but use of the term in the United States in modern times is often related to an inner city concentration of a black minority.  It has always been used to indicate some kind of minority.  I didn't read the initial comment as an indictment of black people (and certainly don't believe that was the poster's intent), but understand where the concern comes from, and will attempt to rein in my own personal use of the word henceforth.

Acastus

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
If you can afford to live in a town with excellent schools, it is well worth it. My school system is rated #2 in upstate NY (basically everything north of westchester county). The school has everything. There are honors courses in every subject, every sport, 2 bands, 2 orchestras, 2 jazz bands, 10 ish choral groups, the spring musical has a 50k budget for costumes and set design, with giant puppets, dozens of clubs from astronomy to mock trial. It is like going to a prep school. I am so envious of my son. I wish I could have gone to a school like his.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 08:14:33 PM »
An extra 1.5 hours a day with you will do much more for your kids than "excellent" vs "good" will. And if they're young now, you have no idea what changes could happen in the districts over ten years.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 08:17:58 PM »
Ive settled in on a 20 minute maximum.  I currently have 10 minutes, which is incredible.  20 minutes starts grinding on me after a while, unless its completely open road.  The ability to go home for lunch occasionally is nice.   I used to have a heavily trafficked commute that was anywhere between 20 and 45 minutes then said never again.

Izzozi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 03:47:27 PM »
I've done an hour commute, and I've done a 15-minute commute.

Hour commutes suck.  I would not do it solely for a "best" school if "good" schools were available. 

a) has a librarian, art teacher, and music teacher at every school  [I moved to a 45-minute commute once when the local schools where we lived threatened to cut librarians]
b) has an actual all-day GT program [I have a kid who needs lots of intellectual stimulation or he's a behavior problem]
c) has enough desks and books for each kid
d) has an AP or IB program in high school/advanced math starting in junior high
e) doesn't have a ton of police reports for the school/known gang issues
f) has a variety of extracurriculars for middle- and high-school kids
g) has a sizable population of kids who don't look like mine (race, language, religion, socioeconomic status)

My kids will thrive wherever, because we're involved, well-educated parents.  I want the school environment to be safe, not awful, and provide them ways to enjoy learning.

This is a good list. The schools I went to growing up met every single one of these criteria, and their GreatSchools ratings are:
Elementary: 7/10 "Above Average"
Middle: 4/10 "Below Average"
High: 4/10 "Below Average"

And I did have good parents which I think were a more important success factor than anything else.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 04:31:34 PM »
I have always rented or bought in the school zone I was happy with my kids attending. 1 hrs drive each way can lead to 4 hrs in the car a day. That is ridiculous.that likely limits 1 or both parents work schedules. It also means your kids can't socialize with their school friends unless you drive another 4 hrs on the weekends.