Author Topic: how far is your drive to the grocery store?  (Read 26233 times)

lavagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
how far is your drive to the grocery store?
« on: July 03, 2015, 05:40:11 PM »
I was wondering how far do you guys drive to the grocery store? We drive 20minutes to wegmans once a week.  It feels ridiculous to drive that far but closer options are pricey.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: how far is your drive to the grocery store?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 06:25:02 PM »
5 minutes to Publix, 5 minutes to another Publix, or 5 minutes to Kroger.  I live in a big city, so it's nice to have so much accessibility.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 06:27:43 PM »
Drive?

I don't drive to the grocery store.

I'm a half mile from Kroger. A couple miles from Publix and Target (one that actually sells food, though few vegetables). All comfortably bikeable.

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 06:34:07 PM »
8 kilometers from home, but walking distance from work. I buy most of my groceries on my lunch break.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 06:53:58 PM »
2 miles to one big chain grocery store and 3 miles to a smaller chain store.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 06:56:35 PM »
We live 0.6m to 2 grocery stores and 0.4mi to another. We're about to move to where we are 0.6mi to 2 and 0.8 to another. We always walk, and plan to once we move.

Proximity to grocery stores is a key criteria for me. No dishwasher? I don't care. 3 miles to groceries? Nope, it's out.

(No kids to tote around though, and parking is awful here, so those both are factors I'm sure).

jambongris

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 06:58:16 PM »
Our closest is 250m away. There are two others less than a kilometer away and a fourth cheaper one less than two kilometers away. One of the perks of living in a walkable part of our city.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 07:13:53 PM »
I think it's about 1.2km away. Slightly less if I walk and take a shortcut.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 07:20:29 PM »
We have 5 big chains within 3 miles - Harris Teeter, Kroger, Publix, Food Lion, and Lowe's.  Then there's Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Target, Trader Joe's, and Aldi all within about 5 miles.  Lots of competition here!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 07:24:27 PM »
During the school year, I can alter my route home to hit up a variety of different stores without going out of my way at all - usually on a bike. In summer, everything's a specific trip since I'm off work, and I can hit up kroger with a 4 miles round trip bike ride, but today I did 34 miles round trip (pedaling) to go to a couple favorite stores on the other side of town. It was a lot of food (two full bike bags and a backpack, I was tired!) but the actual cost when I was done was $1.60. So far to go to spend so little money!

pka222

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 07:29:51 PM »
3 minute walk.  Once a week I drive 10 minutes to town for shopping.  I also have a very mustachian commute of 10 minute walk or 5 min ride.

mamagoose

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »
1.6 easy miles to Publix, 1.9 miles to Walmart, 3.7 miles to Trader Joe's, 6.4 miles to Costco, 6.7 sad miles to ALDI. 90% of the shopping is at Publix. We plan on exclusively biking for groceries once our kid is in school and we can go during the day with the bike trailer (sans kid taking up half the carrying capacity).

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 07:43:09 PM »
8 miles and significant elevation change to the closest. Saves a ton just based on all the times we decide it's too much work to go and do without whatever it was (usually the week's groceries).

vhalros

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »
1 mile to Whole Foods, 1.2 miles to Stop N'Shop, 1.8 to Aldi, 2 miles to Trader Joe's, 2.5 to  Market Basket, 3 miles to Costco. Whole Foods is the closest, but is ridiculous, so I rarely go there. I usually end up bicycling to Market Basket, since of the stores with good prices, it is has the most pleasant bicycle route (in the unlikely even that any local Greater Boston businesses happen to be reading this, please consider this a hint as to why you should advocate for improved cycling infrastructure). I also bicycle to Costco sometimes, but usually I am picking up non-perishable things in bulk, so I don't have to go too often.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:14:26 PM by vhalros »

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
I believe it is 6+ miles to the stores in the other county to our east, and 12+ miles to the small city to our west (larger number of stores/ more competition), 25+ miles to the larger metro area south of us (much more competition, better prices).

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2015, 08:13:22 PM »
12 miles :( Next closest is 15, next is 18. All not within the same direction at all, and we're talking about small regional chains and a Walmart. I'm ready to move!

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2015, 08:26:47 PM »
Aldi - ~ 1 mile (15 min walk)
Mariano's - 2.5 miles (20 min bus ride)
Trader Joe's - an extra stop on DH's train commute

We also have two local (expensive-ish) markets less than half a mile from our apartment for those days when you forgot an avocado or cream for the thing you're cooking RIGHT NOW, and we are three blocks from a weekly farmer's market in the neighborhood.

City living is awesome.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2015, 08:32:07 PM »
Three miles to a chain store that we seldom go to except for when they have good double coupon deals. Aldi is 8 miles away and we shop there every 10 days or so. Menards and Home Depot are pretty close to Aldi and the trips get combined making the mileage a lesser issue.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2015, 10:02:44 PM »
11 minute walk.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 10:02:51 PM »
5 min bike ride or 15 min walk
I have 2 large grocery stores just down street. Co Op is going in next year can't wait.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:05:17 PM by snogirl »

taekvideo

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2015, 10:18:06 AM »
2 miles to bike to Aldi
Or ~0.8 miles to the (bit more expensive) Hy-Vee if I'm feeling lazy.
Or 6 blocks to walk to Walgreens to get beer or snacks.

Kamzilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 10:49:20 AM »
First post! Stopped lurking to share, because one of my favorite things about my neighborhood is it's abundance of grocery stores.

1,5 min. walk to the closest one.
4 min. walk to the one I use most often.
6 min. walk to the cheapest one (but their vegetables are not very good).

If I walk 7-10 min. there are several others to choose from as well.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 12:07:13 PM »
Drive??? No need for that even if I had a car. There are 5 supermarkets (one large) within 15 min walking distance plus numerous small shops. Occasionally I shop across the border in Germany (much cheaper) and then it's a 10 min walk +30 min by tram.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2015, 12:16:47 PM »
Nearest one is probably 8 miles... and it's not the cheapest/best selection/etc.

It's probably 10 miles to where we'd shop.  We're supposed to get an Aldi's... and that will be 15 miles or so.

Living in the country has it's disadvantages.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2015, 12:38:21 PM »
13 miles round trip, which I started making by bike/trailer recently. 

I head to Aldi first for the things they carry that are very cheap. 
Next I head to Meijer...slightly more expensive, but they have everything. 
On the loop home I hit up a mexican store for their awesome and cheap produce. 

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2015, 01:34:13 PM »
2.5 miles to a small Food City.  I haven't been back since I found a roach in my grocery bag about a month ago.  The Dollar General next door seems clean and lovely in comparision. I stop on my way home from work.

22 flat miles to a mid sized Food City.

18 mountain miles to a mid sized Food City.

I usually manage to get groceries when I have to be in a larger town for something else.

I'm moving to a decent sized city in about 6 weeks.  Looking forward to more options.  God, I'll miss the mountains though. 

B-May

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2015, 06:48:42 PM »
About a 700m walk. We usually just do small shops every few days and carry the stuff home. There's a fresh food market that's really cheap about a 5-10min drive away that we don't go to as often as we should.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2015, 06:55:13 PM »
Live in a bit of a food desert in my city. I drive 15-25 minutes to get to Aldi, ShopRite, Walmart, H-mart, Target, or Costco -depending on which direction. Wegman's is about 35 minutes from home or 2 from my fiance's office (they're also the most expensive place w'll go to for specialty items).

Sunday Farmer's market is about a .4 mile walk though from my place for farm fresh eggs, cheese and produce.

morning owl

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2015, 07:36:47 PM »
It's a 8 minute walk to the grocery store for me. I generally go once or twice a week, and once to the farmers market.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »
I have two grocery stores (Ralphs/Kroger, Vons/Safeway) within walking distance, plus a Rite Aid and CVS. If I am doing a massive amount of shopping it's a 2 minute drive, if that. Costco is a bit further, maybe 10 minutes away.

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2015, 09:12:50 PM »
About 1 mile to three different stores.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »
7 min walk and on the way to other places we need to go anyway, so between the two of us we usually go 3-5x a week.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 09:55:09 PM »
Supermarket is across the road from me.

Plainly quicker to walk than drive or bike.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2015, 10:02:10 PM »
7 miles to Costco

tardis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2015, 10:22:39 PM »
0.8km to the cheap grocery store, about 0.9 to the more expensive one.  The only time I dislike walking is the uphill hike back carrying a week's worth of groceries (5-10kg) plus a watermelon on the two or three times in a year when they're cheap.

soillife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2015, 11:36:27 PM »
The one nearest grocery to our house is a 3 minute walk, it is one of the main reasons we decided to rent this place. There is a co-op that we are part of that is a 15 minute walk. The produce store is 17 minutes walking. The Saturday farmer's market is a 19 minute walk. The Wednesday Farmer's Market is a 17 minute walk. There is an Aldi, Kroger, Walmart in town too those are all 3-4 miles away from where we live so we don't go often. Once a month we drive to the nearest Sam's Club, 30 minutes away, to pick up some things.

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2015, 11:49:56 PM »
My preferred place to shop is an 8 minute drive or 15-20 train ride. I prefer this area as there are both the major supermarkets, an independent supermarket, Japanese grocer and great fruit and veg market all in the same area. I can easily split my shopping up between places to get the best quality and prices. The markets are closing down at the end of the month though and without them I don't think the trip will be worth it anymore.

Closer to home there are two supermarkets (expensive as they are CBD stores) on my walk home from the train during the week and a great Chinese supermarket across the road from my apartment.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2015, 02:00:26 AM »
Half a kilometre walk to a supermarket or smaller ethnic groceries. I try not to buy groceries from large supermarkets. I'd rather my money helped keep a diverse range of shops open plus the big two supermarket chains here are both quite expensive even if you buy the no name brand stuff.

That said, we do drive about 5 minutes to get to a specific greengrocers as there isn't one within walking distance. It's a lot cheaper than the markets or the big two supermarket brands, and has a good variety of stuff. It's worth the drive, although if there was one within walking distance that would be much better.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2015, 03:07:02 AM »
No drive, just a 5 min. bike ride to Aldi's, or the fancier store that's right across from it. Once in a while I go to the ethnic store that's on my bike commute to work. And if I find a good coupon and they have some worthwhile deals, I order online and get it delivered on my doorstep (for no additional cost).

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2015, 04:52:17 AM »
25km drive (UGH), or a quick stop on my way home from work (1 work from home 3 days per week, and commute the other two). We live in the country.

Solution: a super well-stocked pantry and freezer. We need to go grocery shopping maybe every 2 weeks...

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2015, 05:07:53 AM »
5 minutes to Weis, which is OK. 15 to Wegman's, which has really excellent prices on staples and produce here- if you are finding Wegman's expensive, you're buying the wrong stuff, in my experience.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2015, 07:21:19 PM »
5 minutes to Weis, which is OK. 15 to Wegman's, which has really excellent prices on staples and produce here- if you are finding Wegman's expensive, you're buying the wrong stuff, in my experience.

Wegmans is kind of expensive if you're buying gourmet, hard to find items and if you're comparing to Aldi's or ShopRite in the Baltimore area.  They have the best price on ground beef though in my area. I love Wegmans though. <3 they are catering my wedding in 2017 :)

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2015, 08:29:50 PM »
Ralphs (Kroger) is across the street.

etselec

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 10:26:13 PM »
The closest is...312 ft, according to Google Maps. Right across the street. But it's a pricey natural-foods store so I hardly ever go.

I'm a 5-minute walk from 2 small local groceries and an excellent natural-foods overstock/discount store — this is where I do most of my shopping. The groceries have good produce/meat/dairy, and the overstock store sells packaged/dry goods for super super cheap.

There's a big chain grocery about a mile away, a big food co-op just over 2 miles away, and a Trader Joe's and Aldi about 6 miles away. But I tend to do what's easy and stay in walking distance — there's only a significant price difference on a few of my staple items, and I'm happy to support local businesses in town.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 11:20:35 PM »
250 metres to two supermarkets.

Edited to add: we walk.

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2015, 10:48:22 AM »
We have 5 big chains within 3 miles - Harris Teeter, Kroger, Publix, Food Lion, and Lowe's.  Then there's Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Target, Trader Joe's, and Aldi all within about 5 miles.  Lots of competition here!

Davis Dr/Cary Pkwy/High House Rd neighbor??

Mikhial

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2015, 10:57:44 AM »
8 minute walk to Publix which is nice when I forget to pick something up.  Most ofthe timethough idrive 3miles to a store that only does meats and produce. The selection is much better and it's a fraction of the cost of Publix.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2015, 11:00:05 AM »
Probably a 2 minute drive, or maybe a 5 minute walk over to Albertsons :) But we exclusively shop at the Korean and Middle Eastern markets, where produce is by far the cheapest, and these are maybe 5-10 minutes of driving from where we are. We have biked/walked to the closest Korean market too, which is maybe 20-30 minutes away so not too bad and good exercise.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 11:10:43 AM by jplee3 »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2015, 11:04:06 AM »
4 miles, maybe a 10 minute drive.
BUT my husband works right next door, so he goes on lunch break every day to get what we need for the night :)

If we need something big like dog food that he can't fit on the bike, then I swing by on the way home from work, and it is on my drive.

We never just go to the grocery store.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »
750m to Co-op
800m to No Frills
1.6km to Sobeys
4.5km to Farmers Market
5.3km to Costco
5.5km to the other Farmers Market where I pick up my CSA veggies once a week during the summer