Author Topic: How far do you live from your office?  (Read 37464 times)

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
Re: How far do you live from your office?
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2015, 12:14:59 PM »
About 13 miles, and I drive. Takes about 25-30 minutes.  I'd ride my bike, but I have a compressed work schedule, and adding an extra 1-1.5hrs to my commute each day by choosing to bike just isn't worth it at this juncture. 

I'd kill a man to be a couple miles away.

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2015, 03:53:55 PM »
3 to 6 miles by bike, depending on whether I take the scenic route or the "I'm freezing my ass off" route.  The short route was definitely taken the other morning when it was -1 degrees.

rmendpara

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2015, 04:50:22 PM »
So I was fortunate to get a new job recently that reduced my commute from 30 miles and 45 minutes to 3 miles and 5-10 minutes. I'm over the moon about this (almost irrationally so according to friends and family). I'll be able to run or bike to work in the morning when things warm up (there's a gym with showers here, too), so I'm ecstatic.

How far do the rest of you Mustachians live from work? Do you drive or run/bike?

Around 1.2 miles by driving, but I take the train to work. 10-15 minute ride (frequent stops), but I love it.

I don't know how I'll be able to go back to driving and commuting some day.

Sad face...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2015, 05:00:39 PM »
35 miles of country back roads. If I hit traffic, it's a school bus or a tractor. Not bad at all, and it's so pretty that, five years in, I haven't gotten tired of looking yet.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2015, 05:02:25 PM »
Currently 6 miles from work. We bought this house because it was about a mile from my office and I could walk or bike to work, but then they moved me to another location that is 6 miles away and those six miles are over dangerous streets or the highway. So no more biking. I got a substantial raise, which about paid for the car I had to buy. :(

darkadams00

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2015, 05:13:01 PM »
 9-9.5 miles at about 40-45 minutes by bike, depending on route.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2015, 05:54:56 PM »
About 7-8km. Usually I'll take the tram, which is about 40-45min including walking to/from the stop.

I've ridden the bike in a couple of times. I'd ride more often if I could do it without needing a shower, the ride is about 35 min.

ontario74

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »
8km, 15 minutes by car, more than 1 hour by bus. I have to cut through a large industrial (and I don't mean industrial park) area, so biking is out of the question.

Teddy25

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2015, 02:20:38 AM »
18 mins walking indoors, 15 mins walking outdoors, 4 mins bike share, 5 mins cab or 5 mins car2go
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 02:59:45 AM by Teddy25 »

Kaivalagi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2015, 02:57:52 AM »
I live in south London and I'm about 9 miles from my job in central London. I get the train and my work pays for my yearly pass thank goodness! It takes me about 50 minutes door to door as I like to get to the station early in case there are cancellations and I have to make alternative plans...

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2015, 03:32:03 AM »
20 miles, in the morning I'll go with bike+train combo (loading the bike on the train) in the evening I'll bike back. It takes about 55 minutes each way but I don't mind because on the train I can read/surf and in the evening it does count as physical activity.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2015, 05:23:10 AM »
5km. Takes about 15mins of riding/daydreaming.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2015, 07:35:01 AM »
3.2 km.

If I walk, it takes 35 minutes.
If I cycle, it takes 10 minutes.

Prepube

• Stubble
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2015, 09:06:33 AM »
30.5 miles each way, 35 minutes most days, less than a gallon of gas a day in my prius.  I wouldn't trade where I live for a spot closer to town-- the hills around my home are beautiful and the only traffic jams I regularly hit are the ones caused by the elk herd crossing the road.

Stachesquatch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2015, 09:23:45 AM »
4222 total (mostly air) miles 1 way..  Commute 1 way every 3 weeks (3 week on/ 3 week off rotation).

That averages 402 commuting miles per day for the 21 days at work in any given 6 week time period of the year- have to factor the round trip and that I get 3 weeks off after 3 weeks of work.

I'm definitely leveraging this opportunity to set myself up financially to exit the RAT race.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:38 AM »
12 relaxing miles.  Car knows the way!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2015, 01:19:28 PM »
10 miles.   We work a block from each other, but drive separately.  Matrix and Civic.

We used to bike a couple of times a week (I bike to work, husband drives with bike on back, I drive home, he bikes home.)

But then we had a second kid.

So I'd love to carpool, but we offset our schedules for school/ child care dropoff and pick up.

So he works 8:45 to 5:45
I work 7:30 to 4:30

Our daycare is 5 miles in the wrong direction.  So he drops off big kid at school and little kid at daycare and goes to work.
In the afternoon, I do the reverse (little kid, big kid, home).

I've been thinking of trying to get back on the biking wagon, maybe once a week.  It's 45 minutes for him, an hour for me (I guess I'm just slower).

In about 1.5 years, second kid will go to preschool, hopefully close to work, so less commuting.  Sadly, our kids are 6 years apart, so they will only be in the same school for one year.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2015, 01:19:48 PM »
49 miles in LA Traffic.   Fun Stuff!
ouch

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2015, 01:22:20 PM »
11 miles, ~20 minutes.
Dude, you need a new picture, or else I'm going to be totally confused between you and the other guy (Bob W) with that picture.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2015, 01:51:33 PM »
0 miles, WFH

But spend an hour in the basement on the bike most days... so I guess I live 13 miles from work with an indoor commute, or something?

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2015, 01:54:34 PM »
~28 miles.  I commute in Chicago via train and then a work shuttle, which results in a 3 hour daily commute.

mnsaver

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2015, 07:22:33 PM »
starting tomorrow .3 miles. So gosh darn excited. Previously it was 2.2 miles. Because I start work early and the office was in a not so great neighborhood I took the bus with was 45 minutes to a half hour each way (depending on timing) now it will be a 10 minute walk :) (Which means I get to drop my bus pass.)

Static Void

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2015, 07:39:26 PM »
20 years ago: 35 miles to Cupertino, drove. Every day. 45 minutes if all went well. That was before silicon valley companies were competing with luxury busses. :(

14 years ago: 2 miles, scored job with great bike commute to downtown Santa Cruz

7 years ago: Office closing, was ready to quit... except they moved closer to my house, 0.5 miles.

4 years ago: Did a deal with the Devil, 45 miles to Palo Alto. Sometimes drove (1-2 hours), sometimes bicycle + bus + train (2-3 hours), sometimes work from home.

2015: Voluntarily unemployed! (Maybe FIRE'd. Maybe not. But either way, yay!)

DecD

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2015, 08:00:01 PM »
5 miles.  3 stoplights, no freeways.  Very bikeable but I haven't tried it yet. 

Unique User

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2015, 07:41:35 AM »
850 miles. But I telecommute mostly.

Corporate office is 838 miles.  My office is just downstairs.  Husband has to drive when he is out in his territory, but his office is upstairs.  I always find myself elbowing him for space on the kitchen island. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2015, 08:17:13 AM »
6 miles.
I drive.   If it was flatter, I'd bike, but there are a lot of little hills and two large ones that would mean I would never make it to work in a reasonable amount of time.  I don't want to leave my house at 5:30 a.m. for a 7:00 shift.

Once it gets warmer I'm going to start trying to do the bike ride on weekends and see if I can get it down to 45 minutes, then I might consider biking on nice days.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 08:19:06 AM by iowajes »

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2015, 08:20:01 AM »
6 miles.
I drive.   If it was flatter, I'd bike, but there are a lot of little hills and two large ones that would mean I would never make it to work in a reasonable amount of time.  I don't want to leave my house at 5 a.m. for a 7:00 shift.

Sounds kind of complainy-pants to me. You will get used to hills. Hills are awesome at making you use more muscles. In good bike shape, you can do 6 mile of hills in 20-25 minutes.

Fodder

• Stubble
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2015, 08:37:45 AM »
25 km (15 miles).

In the morning, I carpool with my husband in a 2005 Matrix.

In the evenings, I take the bus to the end of the line, and then I either walk home (in the summer - 2.5 km) or husband picks me up.  I actually enjoy the walk, but it is a dark country road with no shoulder and no lights, so in the winter, I'm not comfortable with the risk of slipping and falling in front of an oncoming car.  Husband leaves work earlier to pick kids up before daycares close.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2015, 08:44:59 AM »
Telecommute, "assigned" office is 53 miles away. But my telecommuting is so official that they pay my home internet bill.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2015, 08:53:32 AM »
6 miles.
I drive.   If it was flatter, I'd bike, but there are a lot of little hills and two large ones that would mean I would never make it to work in a reasonable amount of time.  I don't want to leave my house at 5 a.m. for a 7:00 shift.

Sounds kind of complainy-pants to me. You will get used to hills. Hills are awesome at making you use more muscles. In good bike shape, you can do 6 mile of hills in 20-25 minutes.

I'm not complaining about anything, because I'm not trying to reduce my spending or my car reliance. I'm perfectly happy with my commute, which is greatly improved from the job I had last year (which was about a 15 minute drive + 30 minute walk).

Not everyone is in good bike shape, so your estimate doesn't really apply to me. My husband (who does bike to work in the summer) could easily do that in that time, me, not so much.  And going down hills is terrifying to me, so it is something I'm going to have to work up to, to even consider going that route.  It took me about an hour the last time I went, and that was working hard.  If I was biking to work, I'd have to take a relaxed approach so I don't arrive a sweaty mess, so it would take even longer.  Besides which, I don't like biking more than 13 mph in any condition, I feel too out of control on the bike.  I have a pretty extensive injury history which fuels fear for me.   

Maybe someday I'll bike, but I have no problem with the 10 minutes of driving (15 in traffic, which I avoid by going in the early morning).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:29:12 AM by iowajes »

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2015, 08:57:19 AM »

Not everyone is in good bike shape, so your estimate doesn't really apply to me. My husband (who does bike to work in the summer) could easily do that in that time, me, not so much.  And going down hills is terrifying to me, so it is something I'm going to have to work up to, to even consider going that route.  It took me about an hour the last time I went, and that was working hard.  If I was biking to work, I'd have to take a relaxed approach so I don't arrive a sweaty mess, so it would take even longer.  Besides which, I don't like biking more than 13 mph in any condition, I feel too out of control on the bike.  I have a pretty extensive injury history which fuels fear for me.   

Maybe someday I'll bike, but I have no problem with the 10 minutes of driving (15 in traffic, which I avoid by going in the early morning).

So that is all the MORE reason to do it. You SHOULD be in good bike shape. What is the point of retiring at 35 if you are overweight and have to go on 24 medicines to stay alive?

You will get used to going faster then 13mph. You may need a real road bike and not a granny style hybrid, but that is easy to accomplish. My casual pedaling easy pace is 18mph, and my race pace (on flats) is closer to 21-23mph...

Sure biking is a CHANCE to be injured. But not exercising is a guaranteed slow and painful death. Our brains teach us to avoid the chance of something bad, while accepting the certainty of something bad 5-10 years down the road. Fight your brain and come alive!

pom

• Bristles
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2015, 09:04:59 AM »
3 miles, takes me 20-25 minutes by walk+public transportation.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2015, 09:11:06 AM »

So that is all the MORE reason to do it. You SHOULD be in good bike shape. What is the point of retiring at 35 if you are overweight and have to go on 24 medicines to stay alive?

You will get used to going faster then 13mph. You may need a real road bike and not a granny style hybrid, but that is easy to accomplish. My casual pedaling easy pace is 18mph, and my race pace (on flats) is closer to 21-23mph...

Sure biking is a CHANCE to be injured. But not exercising is a guaranteed slow and painful death. Our brains teach us to avoid the chance of something bad, while accepting the certainty of something bad 5-10 years down the road. Fight your brain and come alive!

I'm not overweight, and I don't take any meds. I do exercise regularly when I can, which depends on how injuries are doing in a particular time varies. I spent most of last year incapable of exercise due to the effects of a broken neck (not the same injury I posted about in a different thread), so right now I'm not in great shape. But even when I am, biking is just not something I enjoy.

I have no interest in going over 13 mph. I had a nice road bike (purchased by my husband who enjoys biking and bike racing) and sold it FOR a hybrid because it is useless for someone who isn't racing and I wanted something more comfortable.

Just because YOU think 18 mph is a reasonable comfortable pace, doesn't mean I do.  It is much too fast for me to feel comfortable.  I have no problem biking to a restaurant or a grocery store, but right now, work isn't  going to happen. Like I said- I plan to work on it, but it isn't something I value highly.  I changed jobs to get to under 45 minutes in total travel time (that was driving + walking) to and from work; I'm not sure I really want to go back to that- even if I biked quickly, I'd still be getting close to it.

What the hell does any of this have to do with the length of a commute?   As I said in the original post before people decided to critique me, mine's 6 miles, I don't bike, but think I might like to on nice days, however, that mode of transportation is currently out of reach for me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:40:07 AM by iowajes »

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2015, 09:41:32 AM »

I'm not overweight, and I don't take any meds.

[Moderator Edit:] Personal attack removed.

Quote from: iowajes
What the hell does any of this have to do with the length of a commute? 

I am just pointing out the complainy pants attitude. I could care less what you do with the knowledge. [Moderator Edit:] Personal attack removed.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 10:20:58 AM by bo_knows »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2015, 09:51:06 AM »
I don't think I'm going to die 20 years early just because I don't bike to work.  Heck, since MOST americans don't bike to work, the average age probably takes that into account anyway.  So, are you saying I should expect to live to 98 if I bike? I think the average age of 78 is just fine. Due to my neck issues, I'm guessing my quality of life isn't going to be great at that point anyway, and there is nothing biking can do about that. Heck, every year I lived past 17 was a bonus, since easily could have died then.

Not biking to work isn't going to guarantee I need some sort of chronic meds. This is just a ridiculous argument.

I can (and do when possible) use the time saved by not biking to work out in a form I enjoy. Why waste time biking if I don't enjoy it at all? If my commute is shorter, I can then go to the pool after work to swim, lift weights, row (in the summer), cross country ski (in the winter), or do a cardio workout tape that is fun.

I'm HAPPY I recovered an hour a day by shortening my commute from my previous job.  Most of the time I use that time to workout, sometimes I use it for other things, but now I get to use it as I see fit, rather than have to use it getting to and from work.

Maybe on nice days I'd enjoy biking to work, but it isn't a priority to me.   That it is out of reach right now doesn't mean I complained about anything.  Did you not see the part that said when the weather gets nicer I was thinking about practicing the route on weekends? How is that complainy/defeatist? I'm opening an avenue where maybe I could bike, on days I feel like it adds value to my day.  My car commute is 10 minutes. That is nothing that needs to be "fixed".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:54:50 AM by iowajes »

Patrick A

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »
2.9 miles.  15 minute easy bike, 9 minutes if I wanna go fast.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2015, 10:02:11 AM »
About four miles each way. I bike almost exclusively - it's by far the fastest way for me to get there (though I can drive or take the subway).

atlbrew

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2015, 10:54:44 AM »
9 miles from my office, but I have not been to the office in over 6 months.  As a consultant I am typically working at the client-site, meaning my commute varies considerably during the year.  Everything else we do is within 1-2 miles of our house.

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2015, 11:46:15 AM »
Forty-fricking-four miles each way - Four LA freeways, but mostly 'against' the commute.  I have less than 6 months until I vest in the retirement system, so need to hang on awhile.

Drive a VW TDI, which gets 40-45 mpg, but I feel like a complete clown.

ClaycordJCA

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2015, 10:20:40 PM »
Too damn far. 35 miles one way. But standard commute is 7 mile drive  to the BART station and a 45 minute train ride to SF.

Patrick A

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »
Damn, a lot of long commutes out there.  I hope that I'm able to control my job situation enough that I never have to live more than a few miles from work.  / :

Rosbif

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2015, 04:18:34 AM »
About ten yards, from bed to desk. So happy I don't have a commute any more. It used to be two hours in each direction (on the train, could work/sleep each way, but still).

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2015, 06:03:31 AM »
I'm 5.8 miles with great bike paths all the way there. Just about a mile or so on side streets getting to and from the paths. It's great! In the 4+ months I've been at this job, I've ridden the bus <5 times and gotten a ride maybe 10-15 times due to sub-zero temps.

Give me a break. I'm in great biking shape (biked well over 2,000 miles last year), and my 5.8 miles with one minor hill takes maybe as little as 25 minutes on a clear day with the wind at my back. Nobody wants to be hauling ass for 6 miles up hill to show up to work completely drenched in sweat. MMM himself advocates for a reasonable biking pace. My fastest bike is an 80s steel road bike, but it's not all that Mustachian to buy a fancy new bike just so you can go a little faster and work a little less, right?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 06:05:34 AM by windawake »

prudence

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2015, 07:11:49 AM »
24 miles, time varies but usually 50 mins.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2015, 07:50:06 PM »
1.5 miles. Depending on traffic lights, it's 8-12 minutes by bike door to door.

grodgersoz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2015, 01:50:44 AM »
17kms to the CBD as the crow flies.
20kms on the train (express takes 30 mins, normal takes 38 mins)

I get unlimited free public transport use, so i catch the train in each day.

I love it, i use the time to either read a book (currently trying to complete the 100 greatest novels of all time) or catch up on some TV shows.

Like Archer. (yay, it started again!) or walking dead. or GoT. Or SoA. damn. theres so many to watch!

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2015, 05:41:34 AM »
16 miles, reverse commute.  This is only because we're moving the office location in April, then six miles on a reverse commute.

There aren't decent residential areas closer, its in the middle of industrial parks

Plebia

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #97 on: January 14, 2015, 05:53:40 AM »
Until all the "work from home" folks get to the thread, I'm going to claim shortest commute that's actually not working from home:

Less than one mile (.7) if I walk, a bit longer if it's -20 F and I drive (divided highway with stoplight for pedestrians but I have to go a couple blocks out of my way if I drive to get to a car stoplight).

Sorry, we're tied! :-) I live .7 miles from work, and I don't own a car. Walk all day every day, even in the cold and snowy winter. I'll be leaving for work shortly, and it's 11 degrees F outside. Coworkers think I'm crazy, but it's wonderful.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2015, 06:00:13 AM »
2.25 miles.  I mostly walk, takes me about 45 minutes each way (I am overweight and have short legs!).  I got a pedometer at Christmas so it's interesting seeing if I can speed up/take more steps daily.

raffmaster

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2015, 06:07:36 AM »
0 miles, work from home as of a couple days ago. Before that, 8 miles.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!