Author Topic: How far do you live from your office?  (Read 37480 times)

miked

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How far do you live from your office?
« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2015, 07:01:31 AM »
8 miles. Biking 95% of the time.

oldmannickels

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: January 14, 2015, 07:30:46 AM »
2 miles... I usually walk

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: January 14, 2015, 07:36:26 AM »
8 miles.  15 minutes door to door most days.  I usually drive it.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2015, 06:45:37 AM »
16 miles with an option in the near future to work from home.  For my sanity, I'm not sure I'll want to do that, but traffic is making me strongly consider it.

kiblebuka

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2015, 11:49:29 AM »
25 miles, which is done via train. The train station being 3.5 miles from home. When I got this job it was 50 miles and across state lines. I'll be moving in the spring, reducing it to 17.5 miles and the train stations are 1 and 2 miles away so easier to manually go to them.

dunhamjr

• Stubble
  • mustachian in training est. July 14
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2015, 12:32:16 PM »
Unfortunately farther then I would like. :(
But a little better after the company HQ moved about 3 years ago.

My drive is apparently 5.1 miles.
Then I bus another 10.9 miles.
So the commute is 16 miles, direct it would be 15.3 miles.

Wife is 13.3 miles, all car, in essentially the opposite direction.

We are looking to remedy this a little bit on both sides by moving in the area so that we are in a different school district for the kids upcoming education, but really the only way to fully correct this is for one or both of us to get new jobs.  I am 11yrs and a manager at my company, so its hard to want to leave... and she is an 8th grade teacher, 16+yrs in, so finding the right fit in a new district isn't an easy task either.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2015, 12:43:07 PM »
Six blocks. Small blocks - google maps is telling me it's .46 miles each way. I walk. It would be a little difficult to run as I usually wear skirts or dresses and have a purse.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
I live 2 miles from work. It's a 9-15 minute bike ride depending on lights.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #108 on: January 15, 2015, 12:56:41 PM »
4 miles exactly. It's only a 16-18 minute bike ride - no traffic lights to wait for. I don't own a car, but my wife does. I bike 95% of the time, but if it's really raining, she drops me off.

MrsPotato

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2015, 02:08:50 PM »
2.5 km and a 15 min bus ride/5 min drive/30 min walk away. Feeling very blessed about this :-)

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2015, 02:14:47 PM »
19.8 km (12 miles), 55 minutes by bike, 45 minutes bus/train
18 km by car, time not applicable, don't drive to work - it would sometimes be faster but always more expensive

About the same for my husband. Vancouver's just bad that way. Good jobs tend to be clustered in the tiny little downtown isthmus that is in no way central.

jopiquant

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2015, 03:17:51 PM »
Damn, a lot of long commutes out there.  I hope that I'm able to control my job situation enough that I never have to live more than a few miles from work.  / :

I think it's more your life situation - do you want to live in a spend-y city? The closer to downtown you live, the more it'll cost, the more it'll cost the further you might live. Unless you and your wife are fortunate to have the kind of jobs that are not downtown or have flexible selection criteria for your home base (we wanted a city of 2M people, but that's just us), you might get stuck a little further out. But since you're ahead because you know how soul-sucking a commute can be, you can be proactive about it.

JD_

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2015, 04:24:06 PM »
25 miles, 1 hour 15 min bus ride each way.  At least my employer covers most of the cost of taking the bus :)

-JD

SeattleStache

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: January 15, 2015, 04:39:51 PM »
Right now it's a 2.5 mile bike ride but as of next month it'll be a 1 mile walk - pretty stoked!

Wile E. Coyote

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: January 15, 2015, 06:28:01 PM »
10 miles, which would be a 20 minute drive with no traffic.  But I take the train to work.  Total commute time is about 40 minutes one way.

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #115 on: January 15, 2015, 06:32:45 PM »
Damn, a lot of long commutes out there.  I hope that I'm able to control my job situation enough that I never have to live more than a few miles from work.  / :

I think it's more your life situation - do you want to live in a spend-y city? The closer to downtown you live, the more it'll cost, the more it'll cost the further you might live. Unless you and your wife are fortunate to have the kind of jobs that are not downtown or have flexible selection criteria for your home base (we wanted a city of 2M people, but that's just us), you might get stuck a little further out. But since you're ahead because you know how soul-sucking a commute can be, you can be proactive about it.

Or you can suck it up and live in a smaller place, recognizing that the QOL of living close to work more than makes up for a smaller living space (and actually living small isn't that bad). I live in 250 square feet ($1K/month) 2 miles from work and I love it. No way am I paying $2K/month for a 500-square foot apartment.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: January 15, 2015, 07:02:30 PM »

Or you can suck it up and live in a smaller place, recognizing that the QOL of living close to work more than makes up for a smaller living space (and actually living small isn't that bad). I live in 250 square feet ($1K/month) 2 miles from work and I love it. No way am I paying $2K/month for a 500-square foot apartment.

Are you single?  I could live in 200 sq ft by myself, but not with my husband!  And certainly not with our dogs...

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2015, 07:27:06 PM »

Are you single?  I could live in 200 sq ft by myself, but not with my husband!  And certainly not with our dogs...

Yes, I'm single, but numerous frugal couples live in my apartment complex. I'm planning to start sharing a similar-size studio with my brother around mid of this year.

How much "space" you need is all in your mind - check out the tiny houses thread. It also helps that I'm "anti-claustrophobic" - I like small spaces. Much of the world lives in this size of a space - so it's definitely doable. Also lets you appreciate what you truly value in life.

caliq

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2015, 07:38:44 PM »

Yes, I'm single, but numerous frugal couples live in my apartment complex. I'm planning to start sharing a similar-size studio with my brother around mid of this year.

How much "space" you need is all in your mind - check out the tiny houses thread. It also helps that I'm "anti-claustrophobic" - I like small spaces. Much of the world lives in this size of a space - so it's definitely doable. Also lets you appreciate what you truly value in life.

To each their own -- I love tiny houses and I posted the exact same thing in that thread.  Two of my dogs' crates are 54" long and the third is 48"; we have Great Danes.  They're one of the things I truly value in life and they have a need for actual physical space, not space in my mind :P 

Pre-marriage and pre-dogs, I shared small dorm rooms (125 sq ft?) with other girls and did fine. 

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2015, 08:44:58 AM »
17 miles, ~25 min drive, but at least it's a reverse commute. Will hopefully be moving closer in May.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2015, 08:49:20 AM »
0.8 miles. It's about a 15 minute walk, depending on the weather.

Amanda

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2015, 09:12:55 AM »
16 miles and 22 minutes. I work at my sons' school so we are at least all headed to the same place. I don't want to move closer because suburbia surrounds the area and where I live is urban and easy biking distance to the foothills, the river, and all my favorite bookstores and pubs.

minimountainmustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2015, 08:37:38 AM »
just got a new job, and now my longest commute yet :/ (but doubled my income, so worth it). Approximately 13 miles by car via interstate (20 min drive) or 15-16 miles by bike via greenway (about an 60-70 minutes). It will definitely be a long bike commute, but I'm a competitive cyclist, so will be getting my training/workouts in just by commuting 2-2.5 hrs a day! Sweet!

TN_Steve

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2015, 11:05:39 AM »
20.5 miles each way (1/3 surface, 2/3 highway); 28 minutes.  cheap compact car @ 42mpg (could shave couple minutes off commute for more gas consumed...)

30.5 miles each way, 35 minutes most days, less than a gallon of gas a day in my prius.  I wouldn't trade where I live for a spot closer to town-- the hills around my home are beautiful and the only traffic jams I regularly hit are the ones caused by the elk herd crossing the road.

This +1.  We have good amount of acreage in the middle of a rapidly developing suburb; herds of deer, resident raptors, noisy coyotes at night, & awoke this morning to the sound of ten preening Tom Turkeys under our bedroom window trying to show that the other nine weren't up to snuff.  A small place in the heart of the city has its attractions and will come in due course, but for now . . .   (And, we are much closer to DW's office)

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2015, 03:49:55 PM »
677 miles. About a 10 mile drive to the airport, then a plane ride to where I'm based. Usually do the commute four times a month.

ChiVolter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2015, 06:10:04 PM »
When we relocated back from Los Angeles distance from work was important.

Me: 10 miles and 20 minutes drive
Husband: 5 miles and 10 minutes drive

Great thing is we both now can work from home up to 3 days a week so I work from home Monday and Wednesday. He works from home Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday so that we don't interfere with each other at work.

JuSp02

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2015, 06:46:07 PM »
Under a mile, or about 20 minutes walking. It's awesome, =).

Datastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »
I work out of several work locations at a larger facility. The center of that facility is almost exactly a mile away from me as the crow flies.

Hurley82

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »
6 miles, about 12 minutes.