Author Topic: How does a professional gambler state their profession on resume?  (Read 4521 times)

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
I'm part of a group of 4 people who are professional poker players and daily fantasy sports players. 

One of them is pursuing a career in computer science to add a stable income to the poker/DFS (poker is on the decline and DFS is very high variance).  He has been self-employed for over a decade playing poker.  What does he put on his resume for this.  Looking for advice from people who are in the field.  Here's a couple we are looking at:

Option #1: Self-Employed Online Skill Games
Option #2: Online Poker/Daily Fantasy Sports Professional

Is there a better thing he could put on there to represent these last ten years? 

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
Re: How does a professional gambler state their profession on resume?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 11:58:58 PM »
Professional Poker Player.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 12:02:10 AM by gooki »

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 06:48:21 PM »
I say come right out with it. Except for people who have a moral objection to gambling (who will find out what your ambiguous phrasing means eventually anyway), most people will find it impressive and/or interesting. Make sure you add details about skills you've developed that tie in to the job you're applying for.I'm sure you and your colleagues have developed lots of skills that are applicable to other careers. 

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 06:58:47 PM »
Thanks, it's good to get this affirmation.  He's going to list all of the computer programming he had to do to optimize both Daily Fantasy Sports and Poker. 

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 07:09:23 PM »
It's likely a lot of government agencies and other folks that are concerned about security and/or money handling are not going to hire this person.  Gambling is often viewed as an addiction or the result of a personality disorder, even in professionals.  Money woes often accompany gambling, making the employee vulnerable to financial pressure. 

Other employers may be more interested in the skill set than the poker background.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 09:12:05 PM »
Hmm. It seems to me that statistics and financial analysis firms would love this person.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MustardTiger

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »
When I made the transition from a professional poker play I didn't list it on my resume and when asked I was truthful in saying that I played poker to fund international travel after college but before I wanted to settle down (5 years as pro).  I was applying for jobs as a teacher though, which I figured the morality issue would weigh more than perhaps a job in finance/cs.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!