Author Topic: How do you stop feeling blah?  (Read 10659 times)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
How do you stop feeling blah?
« on: January 24, 2018, 12:02:28 PM »
I have been in a bit of a funk lately. Not excited about my job, and my hobby has been overtaken by volunteering for said hobby, which takes a lot of the fun out. I haven't been seeing as many friends lately. I haven't been sleeping enough and I've been watching too much tv. I need to snap out of it, but I'm so unmotivated and I don't even know where to start. Usually making a to do list helps, but I tried and I can't get myself to do the stuff that is really causing the mental blocks, even though I really need to do it.
Does anyone else ever get like this? How do you fix it? I've been so unproductive and I feel like a zombie going to work->(hobby->)home->tv->bed->repeat.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
Re: How do you stop feeling blah?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »
I'm assuming you live in the Northern part of the Northern Hemisphere, based on your love of Poutine. Is it possible you could be dealing with Seasonal Affective Disorder?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 12:13:49 PM »
Cats.  That may be more of a short term fix for me but it'll snap me out of feeling shitty.

How about a small step?  Invite a friend or two over for a TV show or movie?

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
To echo what LifeHappens said, are you getting enough Vitamin D? It's a chronic problem for us northerners in winter and the supplements are inexpensive.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »
I'm assuming you live in the Northern part of the Northern Hemisphere, based on your love of Poutine. Is it possible you could be dealing with Seasonal Affective Disorder?
That is a possibility, the sun goes down before I get out of work. I guess going to a doctor might be a good idea?
Cats.  That may be more of a short term fix for me but it'll snap me out of feeling shitty.

How about a small step?  Invite a friend or two over for a TV show or movie?
I do pet my cat daily, and that does help, but it's not enough. I should make an effort to see my friends, I am seeing my boyfriend tonight so that will help a bit. Making plans feels like just another chore though, even though I should be excited about it.

To echo what LifeHappens said, are you getting enough Vitamin D? It's a chronic problem for us northerners in winter and the supplements are inexpensive.
Does Vitamin D fix SAD? I think I have some at home, I should start taking it again. Can't hurt.

BigHaus89

• Stubble
  • Ride the Spiral to the End
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 12:28:00 PM »
Definitely start taking vitamin D. This has been a night and day difference for DW and I. For a lot of winter here, it's dark going to work and coming home from work. Supplementing with Vitamin D has made that a non-issue.

Edit: Removed poor advice
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 05:01:51 PM by BigHaus89 »

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 12:35:31 PM »
Supplementing with Vitamin D is essential for anyone in the far north, but it won't necessarily "fix" SAD. If I were you, I would see a doctor.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »
Definitely start taking vitamin D. 5000-10000 IU per day. This has been a night and day difference for DW and I. For a lot of winter here, it's dark going to work and coming home from work. Supplementing with Vitamin D has made that a non-issue.
Please get a blood test/see a doctor before starting such high levels of vitamin D.  It's fat soluble, so you can actually get Vitamin D toxicity from too much.  Most women use about 2400 IU per day, so taking 1,000 unit per day is almost always a solid recommendation.  Taking 10,000 IU per day can quickly overtake safe levels in the blood

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 12:47:11 PM »
This has been me for the last few years.  There's Vitamin D, but also B12 and a few others.  There's thyroid issues.  Hormonal imbalances.  Sleep issues.  Immune system issues.  Allergies, both environmental and food.  The list goes on.

I just learned I have sleep apnea, about to get a CPAP.  I'm really hoping this "fixes" me. 

I'd go to the doctor.  This can take a while if you get something rare, which is becoming more common.  I was diagnosed with low testosterone at 27.  It took months to diagnose, because it was so rare in someone my age.  My doctor literally told me that was one of the things she thought of at our first meeting, but didn't test because of my age.  Now I've met a few people my age with it.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 12:52:37 PM »
Definitely start taking vitamin D. 5000-10000 IU per day. This has been a night and day difference for DW and I. For a lot of winter here, it's dark going to work and coming home from work. Supplementing with Vitamin D has made that a non-issue.
Please get a blood test/see a doctor before starting such high levels of vitamin D.  It's fat soluble, so you can actually get Vitamin D toxicity from too much.  Most women use about 2400 IU per day, so taking 1,000 unit per day is almost always a solid recommendation.  Taking 10,000 IU per day can quickly overtake safe levels in the blood

Yes, it's a simple blood test and there is a formula for how much supplementation you need to get up to normal levels.  I personally need 5000 IU a day to keep my levels normal, but my understanding is that's pretty unusual.

I agree you should see a doctor - it sounds like you are dealing with a mood/motivation issue beyond what "try harder" will solve.

That said, I also really like the book "Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life" for dealing with mild depression.  It is based on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, which shares a lot in common with Stoicism so beloved by our Mr. MM.  The basic idea is to act from your values rather than your feelings to take action to improve your life, which in turn improves how you feel.  Seemingly simple but very powerful stuff.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 12:55:55 PM »
This has been me for the last few years.  There's Vitamin D, but also B12 and a few others.  There's thyroid issues.  Hormonal imbalances.  Sleep issues.  Immune system issues.  Allergies, both environmental and food.  The list goes on.

I just learned I have sleep apnea, about to get a CPAP.  I'm really hoping this "fixes" me. 

I'd go to the doctor.  This can take a while if you get something rare, which is becoming more common.  I was diagnosed with low testosterone at 27.  It took months to diagnose, because it was so rare in someone my age.  My doctor literally told me that was one of the things she thought of at our first meeting, but didn't test because of my age.  Now I've met a few people my age with it.

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea at 23, and the CPAP changed my life.  Like you and the testosterone, it was something they didn't test for because apnea is so unsual in young, normal weight women.  I was feeling somewhat better withing two weeks, got all the kinks worked out after about a month (I needed a heated humidifier added to the mix), and felt 1000% better after two months of using it.  Good luck!

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 01:06:14 PM »
Well luckily I just got assigned a family doctor, so as soon as my paperwork is processed I can make an appointment. This type of feeling has happened before, usually it goes away after a little while but it feels particularly long this time, maybe just because I'm in the depths of it. Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I hope that the doctor can help me figure out what's going on and how to make it better! And my library has that book so I'll check it out.

Cowardly Toaster

• Bristles
    • My MMM Forum Journal
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 01:25:41 PM »
My family has the Scandinavian melancholy thing going on, and my dad and sister swear by SAM-E.

Also, vitamin D and exercise works wonders for me.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 01:54:48 PM »
I have been in a bit of a funk lately. Not excited about my job, and my hobby has been overtaken by volunteering for said hobby, which takes a lot of the fun out. I haven't been seeing as many friends lately. I haven't been sleeping enough and I've been watching too much tv. I need to snap out of it, but I'm so unmotivated and I don't even know where to start. Usually making a to do list helps, but I tried and I can't get myself to do the stuff that is really causing the mental blocks, even though I really need to do it.
Does anyone else ever get like this? How do you fix it? I've been so unproductive and I feel like a zombie going to work->(hobby->)home->tv->bed->repeat.

What about going drastic and getting rid of the tv altogether? Can't watch it if it's not there. That might solve a big chunk of th problem just by default, since you would find other things to do.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 01:56:41 PM »
Does Vitamin D fix SAD? I think I have some at home, I should start taking it again. Can't hurt.

The symptoms for Vitamin D deficiency and SAD are similar but supplements will only help if a deficiency is the problem. As SimpleCycle noted it's a simple blood test. Mine was low (showed up at my annual physical) so my doctor recommended supplements, I could tell the difference in a day or two.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 02:02:59 PM »
What about going drastic and getting rid of the tv altogether? Can't watch it if it's not there. That might solve a big chunk of th problem just by default, since you would find other things to do.
Not a bad idea. Well I don't own a TV, but I do have a netflix subscription and I download or stream shows that aren't on there. I can't get rid of my computer, but I could cancel the netflix. Won't completely stop me from being able to get shows elsewhere, but the extra hassle could be a deterrent.

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 02:03:48 PM »
Today for my lunch break I bundled up and went outside to sit in the sunlight like a lizard.

Reddleman

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 02:05:38 PM »
SAD also is a result of problems in the circadian rhythm.  In the "olden days" people used to wake up in the morning with the sun, get a good strong dose of blue-ish light, and then stay outside all day.  As the sun went down the light would become more yellow-ish, weaker, and signal the time to go to sleep.

These days we often get up before dawn, spend most of our days indoors, and are bathed in bluish light constantly from computers and mobile devices.  Our biology finds this pretty stressful, and it can lead to all sorts of issues and definitely aggravates things like SAD.

One thing that's working well for me is to try to artificially re-create what I can't get from nature this time of year.  I start each day with about 15min. of high intensity blue light (from a full/blue spectrum light designed for SAD), try to get outside and get some exercise at some point during the day, and stop using computers/phones/etc. a few hours before bed. 

I lizard too.  My work is by a stream, so I take a break every sunny day to just sit for a while.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 02:32:58 PM »
On top of what's already been mentioned, are you getting any exercise?

Take a walk at lunch, do some yoga on the weekend, anything to get your body moving should help as well.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 02:36:26 PM »
On top of what's already been mentioned, are you getting any exercise?

Take a walk at lunch, do some yoga on the weekend, anything to get your body moving should help as well.
I play sports and dance and swim, so between all those I'm active at least 4-5 days of the week. I keep meaning to go back to the gym, but that's another thing I don't have the motivation to do right now. I used to go for walks at lunch, but I don't enjoy it as much when it's cold and there's slush and ice everywhere.

NextTime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 03:31:10 PM »
PTF.

It's like you are inside my mind. I've been in this same type of funk for awhile.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 03:38:04 PM »
I got a therapy lamp a few months ago and was amazed at the boost in my mood. It was around $100 but I think so far money well spent. 

Other things I find helpful are morning exercise (even a short walk is good), and drinking lots of warm non-coffee drinks in the morning. Lemon water, herbal tea, green tea, etc.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 03:43:12 PM »
I think you need to be outside more in the daylight. It makes a big difference in a northern climate--it isn't just getting exercise, it is getting outside and getting some sunlight on your face.

When I spent a student year in Sweden, one of the other American girls and I both found the same thing--it was just a stone necessity to get some sunlight--to take advantage of what little there was in the depths of winter. If we didn't, we felt sluggish and "blah", and our complexions started turning yellowish.

Civex

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 06:32:50 PM »

Vitamin D, B vitamins, and exercise. I would recommend between 800-2000 units/day vitamin D in the northern hemisphere. I believe the US recommendation is currently at 800 units per day (if at a normal level, more if you are low) and the Canadian is 1000 units twice daily (Canadian RPh or MDs feel free to chime in.) B vitamins are water soluble, so dose is less of an issue. I live in a Northern state that sees many gray days in the winter, and anecdotally I feel much better supplementing with vitamin D. Try to get 30 minutes of exercise 5 days per week, too.

Virgil Starkwell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2018, 08:02:18 PM »
Usually making a to do list helps, but I tried and I can't get myself to do the stuff that is really causing the mental blocks, even though I really need to do it.

I find what works with tasks I don't want to do is committing to only 5 minutes. After that, I can decide to stop or continue.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 12:29:38 AM »
Give yourself an adventure. Take off a Friday and Monday and book a flight after work on Thursday and go somewhere new. Preferably overseas but anywhere interesting and Airbnb or couchsurf.org and check things out. Don’t have an agenda, just go.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2018, 01:49:22 AM »
Usually making a to do list helps, but I tried and I can't get myself to do the stuff that is really causing the mental blocks, even though I really need to do it.

I find what works with tasks I don't want to do is committing to only 5 minutes. After that, I can decide to stop or continue.

Indeed, a task list or a task manager is a great tool. But I also notice that some tasks I am dreading, just because they drain the energy from me. It is the mental barrier.

I think the general thing to do, after letting your doctor checking your blood levels, would be to make a plan to let go of some of the tasks that you don't feel like doing anymore. If your hobby has become more like a duty, you should try to get less involved with it. You can always go back to it later if you change your mind. But the whole point about having a hobby is to get some form of leisure and relaxation from it. If that is gone, then don't continue in the same way.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2018, 04:58:30 AM »
Taking a walk around the block is incredibly refreshing. You e got time-just skip some TV.

arob54600

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2018, 08:45:11 AM »
You are not alone. And your feelings are valid and important.

This winter has got me in some kinda funk as well. Anxious, depressed and moody. I've stayed in my room for the last month.
I keep on joking that I am hibernating, but I think it might just be depression.
I just made an appointment with a doctor to get a check up and talk about anti-depressants.
In the mean time, I will pick up some vitamin -D  til my appointment in March.

So hang in there! Message me if you ever want to talk. :)

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2018, 09:16:31 AM »
I'm already feeling a bit more positive after seeing my partner last night. It's also sunny when I wake up now, so that will definitely help going forward. Some of what gets me down is uncertainty about what's next (like in my job, relationship, living situation). My lease is up for renewal so I have to decide on that, which brought up the idea of living with my partner, and everything is up in the air so I'm a bit stressed but I'll feel better once decisions are made.
Still going to make an appointment with my doctor, I needed to do that anyway. I will make a point of going for a walk at lunch no matter how cold it is, shutting off the TV and reading instead (I'm in the middle of a really good book), and getting to bed before midnight.
And then, if I have the energy, I will sort out the volunteering thing, which isn't that big of deal in itself but needs to be done by this weekend and I should stop procrastinating.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2018, 11:23:53 AM »
Good idea to do a walk in the middle of the day. This way you will catch the sunlight on a sunny day, which gived vitamin D. I try to use the weekends to do stuff outside during the day.

nexus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2018, 12:34:54 PM »
I recently went to the doctor about something like this too. Can't make it through a workday without needing a nap and then no motivation to do <hobby> or gym. They did a bunch of blood work (almost passed out) and everything came back with flying colors. Doc walked me through it...basically said because I'm not getting a good night's rest I'm tired throughout the day. Not sleeping = tired during day = need nap = go to bed late = not enough sleep = tired during day = no motivation = need nap = bed late = tired during day. Vicious cycle.

She recommended taking melatonin and trying to go to bed earlier. Do this for a couple weeks consistently and your energy levels will probably increase. I'm a little weary of becoming reliant on melatonin, so I don't take it every night. If I take it too late (after 11pm) I'll wake up super groggy. (Note: I don't think you can become reliant on it.)

In addition, is your diet sh*t? I've been tinkering with The Whole30 diet off/on and it's amazing how crappy I feel after I eat clean for a couple of days, then eat something I shouldn't.  I feel like crap the next day. Particularly alcohol and sugar, sometimes bread, as does excessive dairy, and too much pasta. I'll be super bloated and feel like crap. Everyone's body is different, but PM me if you'd like a condensed summary of how to experiment with how to tell if food is ruining your life. Or buy the book. I think it's fascinating and worth it. A good place to start is to simply cut out alcohol, processed foods, and sugary stuff if you can't go cold turkey right away.

Stress will also do this to you. Cortisol can be a *bleep*. This article highlights some of the side effects. Due to the uncertainty you mentioned, this might also be a factor.
http://lissarankin.com/10-signs-you-have-way-too-much-cortisol

Anyway, I hope this helps and I wish you the best. Uncertainty is only temporary and the quicker you let go/accept some things are out of your control the quicker you'll feel better.

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2018, 12:59:43 PM »
Stress will also do this to you. Cortisol can be a *bleep*. This article highlights some of the side effects. Due to the uncertainty you mentioned, this might also be a factor.
http://lissarankin.com/10-signs-you-have-way-too-much-cortisol

Anyway, I hope this helps and I wish you the best. Uncertainty is only temporary and the quicker you let go/accept some things are out of your control the quicker you'll feel better.
Wow, I can check off pretty much every item on that list. I knew I was stressed, but I didn't know it could have those physical effects.
Some of the uncertainty should be resolved soon. I am not going to take on any new projects, I'm just going to focus on what I need to do. I did go for a walk and it was nice. It's very sunny today but freezing. Do I still get a vitamin D boost if my entire body is covered except for my face?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 01:33:10 PM »
Vitamin D will be produced from your exposed skin. Still, I also think that the bright sunlight lightens up your mood, like it does for me.

For the sleeping, it helps having good sleeping routines. Getting to bed on the same time every day of the week. Getting up at the same time. No iPads or other bright screen just before bed. No coffee or tea just before bed.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 03:08:10 PM »
I get really bad SAD. Taking a walk or bike ride during lunch helps. Even if it's 30 minutes or so.

Lance Hiruma

• Stubble
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 04:03:45 PM »
Travel. That always helps me.

SimpleCycle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 08:07:42 PM »
Sunshine is great, but above 37 degrees latitude, the skin makes little to no Vitamin D from sunlight exposure during the winter.  The sun is not at the right angle to trigger Vitamin D production.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/time-for-more-vitamin-d

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 12:48:27 AM »
Sunshine is great, but above 37 degrees latitude, the skin makes little to no Vitamin D from sunlight exposure during the winter.  The sun is not at the right angle to trigger Vitamin D production.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/time-for-more-vitamin-d

Maybe that is why they add vitamin D to the milk here in Norway at 59 degrees north.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2018, 02:25:13 AM »

I was diagnosed with sleep apnea at 23, and the CPAP changed my life.  Like you and the testosterone, it was something they didn't test for because apnea is so unsual in young, normal weight women.  I was feeling somewhat better withing two weeks, got all the kinks worked out after about a month (I needed a heated humidifier added to the mix), and felt 1000% better after two months of using it.  Good luck!
Slight hijacking here, but relevant to these two posts. Our utility company considers DH's C-pap a critical medical device and gives us a much larger allocation of cheaper tier pricing. This saves us a ton on our gas & electric bill. Literally, hundreds of dollars a year. Your doctor's office just has to complete a short form and send it in. You might check to see if it's available in your areas.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2020, 01:27:25 PM »
PTF.

It's like you are inside my mind. I've been in this same type of funk for awhile.
same

Dang, I read that cortisol thing too.  I'm not sure how to fix it.  I can check off most of those boxes.  I've spent the better part of 2 years trying to fight stress, with sleep, healthy eating, exercise, and now, a dog.  But it's crept up on me.  I think I can see why several of my friends are quitting their jobs, or taking time off, etc.

Maybe i'll take a walk at lunch.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 01:32:59 PM by mm1970 »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2020, 05:12:56 PM »
I feel similar too. I just recently got to the point where I was a depressed weeping mess a couple months after switching to a progestin only birth control pill. (Switched to help with menstrual migraines, which are caused by a sudden drop in estrogen.)

I would get upset over something small and then think about how much worse all these other people have it and then get more depressed about all the bad things happening to other people and why am I depressed when they have it worse... on and on until I couldn't concentrate on my work. I did not meet DSM criteria for depression (I had 3 things and you need 5) but it sure felt awful.

It took me a while to figure out what was causing the issue. Progesterone potentiates MAO which is involved in the breakdown of serotonin. The estrogen in combo pills helps to modulate this effect by stimulating secretion of serotonin. I looked at the package and it lists side effects like depression, irritability, mood swings, anxiety, etc.  I discontinued them and am no longer crying over everything but still feel kind of irritable and grumpy.  I think my serotonin receptors need time to upregulate. Just glad I figured it out before I got too depressed to get out of bed. Now I don't know what to do about the migraines though.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2020, 05:48:02 PM »
I feel similar too. I just recently got to the point where I was a depressed weeping mess a couple months after switching to a progestin only birth control pill. (Switched to help with menstrual migraines, which are caused by a sudden drop in estrogen.)

I would get upset over something small and then think about how much worse all these other people have it and then get more depressed about all the bad things happening to other people and why am I depressed when they have it worse... on and on until I couldn't concentrate on my work. I did not meet DSM criteria for depression (I had 3 things and you need 5) but it sure felt awful.

It took me a while to figure out what was causing the issue. Progesterone potentiates MAO which is involved in the breakdown of serotonin. The estrogen in combo pills helps to modulate this effect by stimulating secretion of serotonin. I looked at the package and it lists side effects like depression, irritability, mood swings, anxiety, etc.  I discontinued them and am no longer crying over everything but still feel kind of irritable and grumpy.  I think my serotonin receptors need time to upregulate. Just glad I figured it out before I got too depressed to get out of bed. Now I don't know what to do about the migraines though.
Have you tried continuous birth control?  I was getting migraines every month and my Dr had me skip the off week of my bc.  That has worked well for a few years. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2020, 05:56:48 PM »
If you think it might be SAD, you can rent a light box from most Mood Disorder Associations or just use full spectrum light bulbs in your existing lamps.

Instead of fighting it, try embracing lower energy.  Sleep more if you can, keep a less busy schedule, spend some time with a blanket, hot chocolate and a book, etc.  Most animals gear down in winter; humans seem to forget we’re also animals and expect to keep the same pace year round, which I think is unrealistic.

There’s a book called “Winter Blues” by Norman Rosenthal that gives lots of suggestions for combating SAD if you really want to fight it.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2020, 09:28:06 PM »
This summer and fall I was struggling with fatigue and made a handful of changes that are helping a lot.
 I was drinking lots of caffeine (diet soda).  I cut it and now I don't have caffeine crashes during the day.

I cut alcohol.  Cutting both alcohol and diet soda have reduced cravings for snacks and sugar.

I started going to bed at a regular time.  I used to stay up as long as I felt like it.

More exercise.  It doesn't have to be super crazy, just regular sweating for about 30 minutes a day.

I also live in a northern, dark climate.  I've also found that lighting a fire, lighting candles and trying to make my living environment cozy helps.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2020, 04:30:24 AM »

Have you tried continuous birth control?  I was getting migraines every month and my Dr had me skip the off week of my bc.  That has worked well for a few years.
I tried that a long time ago and ended up with continuous spotting. For me the migraines just started after the second kid.

OP I don't want to thread jack, just put my experience in there because there might be some organic cause of your symptoms. Look at the side effects of any meds you are taking, including any implant/IUD.

nexus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2020, 10:08:12 AM »
I first replied to this almost exactly 2 years ago. I’m glad to see it somehow resurfaced. Since posting about my devious experience I have played around with my diet and boy howdy has it made a difference (and when I deviate it kicks my ass).

I’d wager that 90% of the time if you’re experiencing some of these issues (at least for men) that it is nutrition based. A couple of great documentaries to watch to give you some ideas are “Fats” on Amazon Prime & “Game Changers” on Netflix. Both take drastically different approaches to one another, but the gist is the same - eat clean, non processed stuff. The more Whole Foods, the better. (Not sure why I capitalized woke foods, but blame the fact that I’m responding via mobile device).

Personally, flour based stuff and carbs wreck my energy levels and cause a midday crash if I eat them for breakfast or lunch. Dinner is fine because I need to wind down/sleep anyway.

If you’re already eating insanely clean (lots of fruits & veggies — and I mean no white bread, no fried stuff, nothing that goes into a microwave [excluding leftovers], no sugary drinks, alcohol, no snack crackers, etc) then maybe it is something else. But for the most part, whatever you put into your body is going to have some kind of  chemical response — good or bad.

Or stress. Stress does some gnarly stuff.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2020, 10:29:54 AM »

Since this thread has been revived, I'll give an update.

Things got so bad for me that in July of 2018, I could no longer work.  In January of 2019, I went to Mayo Clinic, because none of the local doctors had any idea.  They've diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and the way to treat it is the generally healthy things we've mostly talked about on here.  The one piece I was missing was mental relaxation, which is done through meditation or breathing exercises.  I've been doing that everyday since then. 

In May 2019, I was able to get back to work part time.  I'm no longer on testosterone, my levels have gone back up to the low end of normal.  And while my libido isn't where I want it, I'm mostly symptom free for the normal testosterone issues.  My energy is still low, but is dramatically higher than it was in January of 2019, and it should keep going up over time.

With breathing exercises, the energy increase was very slow, it took months to notice much.  What I did notice was my blood pressure would drop dramatically during it.  When everything is quiet, I can hear my heart beating, and after about 8 minutes of the exercise, I could no longer hear it beating. 

So if you're still experiencing these problems, you might want to try meditation or relaxation breathing techniques.   

Best of luck to you!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2020, 03:47:01 AM »

Since this thread has been revived, I'll give an update.

Things got so bad for me that in July of 2018, I could no longer work.  In January of 2019, I went to Mayo Clinic, because none of the local doctors had any idea.  They've diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and the way to treat it is the generally healthy things we've mostly talked about on here.  The one piece I was missing was mental relaxation, which is done through meditation or breathing exercises.  I've been doing that everyday since then. 

In May 2019, I was able to get back to work part time.  I'm no longer on testosterone, my levels have gone back up to the low end of normal.  And while my libido isn't where I want it, I'm mostly symptom free for the normal testosterone issues.  My energy is still low, but is dramatically higher than it was in January of 2019, and it should keep going up over time.

With breathing exercises, the energy increase was very slow, it took months to notice much.  What I did notice was my blood pressure would drop dramatically during it.  When everything is quiet, I can hear my heart beating, and after about 8 minutes of the exercise, I could no longer hear it beating. 

So if you're still experiencing these problems, you might want to try meditation or relaxation breathing techniques.   

Best of luck to you!

I am happy for you that you are feeling so much better after using meditation techniques. And good for you that you are only working part time for now as that is so much more bearable than fulltime.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2020, 08:38:30 AM »
Generally, I find that when I go through a period of feeling blah, it's either because of/exacerbated by my eating poorly (lots of heavy, carb-laden foods) and lack of exercise.

I just started a new workout routine a couple of weeks ago, and I feel about a million times better. It's amazing how exercise just kind of tips the scales on everything else: mood, diet, sleep, etc. Maybe you could make a commitment to yourself to start going to some regular exercise classes, etc. MWF?