Author Topic: How do you make cold brew coffee?  (Read 2784 times)

retireatbirth

• Bristles
How do you make cold brew coffee?
« on: May 17, 2015, 07:39:59 PM »
Here's how I've been doing it:

Brew (in a mason jar):
2/3 cup coffee grinds
3 cups water
24 hours at room temperature

Filter into another Mason jar through metal Teavana filter

Serve:
3/4 cup cold brew concentrate
1/2 cup water
ice

Right now I'm working on a 12 oz bag of coffee grinds and I think I'll get 12 servings of cold brew out of it. I'm not sure that's a great yield - can I improve on this and still get a strong brew? The bag I bought cost $15 so it was pretty expensive. Next time I'm going to try Trader Joe's which is about $7 or $8 and has 1 oz more. That would get my cost per serving down to about 75 cents.

norabird

• Walrus Stache
Re: How do you make cold brew coffee?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:54:54 AM »
The coffee I use for this is a 10 oz block of cafe bustelo. Same basic method, but I use a big bowl and totally fill it with water, dump in the whole 10 oz (actually coffee first, then fill), and then strain using a mesh sieve covered with a paper towel. It can be messy but it lasts for around two weeks and it's both cheap and relatively easy.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
It keeps in the fridge for two weeks, so I make a bunch at once:

2 c coffee grounds
8 cups water

Filter through a small colander lined with coffee filter into a fridge pitcher. (I did a blog post once with picture and details if anyone's curious: http://frugalparagon.com/2014/08/24/cold-brewed-coffee-no-equipment-needed/)

In the winter, I like it hot: 1/2 c. concentrate, 1/4 c. milk, dash of water, small spoonful of sugar, drop of almond extract, microwave until hot.

In the summer, I like it iced mixed 50/50 with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a generous spoonful of milk chocolate Ovaltine. (Don't judge, please :-).)

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 05:13:36 PM »
In the summer, I like it iced mixed 50/50 with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and a generous spoonful of milk chocolate Ovaltine. (Don't judge, please :-).)
[/quote]

I am judging and I judge you as brilliant.  😉 I WILL be trying this!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!