Author Topic: How do you lose weight without using up all your willpower?  (Read 41694 times)

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
Re: How do you lose weight without using up all your willpower?
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2022, 08:15:53 AM »
There's been some mention of menopause in the last handful of posts.  Just want to toss in a PSA.  Loss of estrogen at menopause (estrogen deficiency) causes a host of symptoms and physiologic changes.  More importantly though, estrogen deficiency in women causes heart disease, osteoporosis, and Alzheimer's.  This is a medical fact and it's shocking that women are not aware of this.

Barbara Taylor, Menopause Taylor on YouTube, educates on menopause.  She also has a bunch of great strength, balance, and flexibility exercises on her channel, mostly in the osteoporosis videos.  These will help avoid falls that lead to debilitating fractures of the hip, wrist, and spine with osteoporosis.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2022, 08:57:50 AM »
PTF. There are some good tips here and I need some help and motivation.
I'm 5'3, 44 yo, female and the struggle is real. I try to stay active and eat "clean", but at the end of the day there is only so much you can do to fight middle age weight creep I think.

This. I'm 5'0", female, and will turn 44 next month. Thanks to hormone shifts, the saying that you can't outrun a bad diet is truer than ever at this stage of life.

I'm curious if this will happen to me. I've been hearing variations of this since I was a teenager... wait until you gain the freshman 15, well just wait until you are in your 30s and your youthful metabolism slows down. Well, just wait until you hit your 40s, it gets so hard to lose weight, etc. But while I did gain some weight a few times over the years, it was always correlated with crap eating habits and I never found it difficult to lose it once I actually tried (sometimes I found it even more difficult to gain weight, esp in my early 40s). 

Now I'm 51, and I'm not sure if this is affecting me or not... on the one hand, I have been sort of half assedly trying to drop 10 lbs, and after 4 months I'm only 5 lbs down, so I suspect my perimenopausal hormones might be contributing a bit; but on the other hand it's also true that I really haven't been working very hard reduce calories (maybe only by 100 per day if that). And I've added a bit of strength training, which might be balancing the loss with muscle gain.

It's hard to tell if I'm going to struggle like so many people do, given that I never have before. Most of my family is overweight to obese, so I don't know if I actually escaped some genetic tendency to be overweight, or if (as I suspect) I've just managed my diet slightly more effectively over many decades. I do know that it doesn't take much more than a few bites of certain foods every day to add up.

As someone who is a few years older than you, my sense is that one’s metabolism definitely does start to slow with menopause, and also, your body distributes weight a bit differently. It is a bit harder to lose weight, I have found. But, four years ago, I was telling myself resignedly that maybe it just wasn’t going to be possible to drop the weight I wanted to and I should just get used to a “fluffier” me.

Ultimately, looking back, I think in my case I was trying to grasp at excuses for not doing the work. I finally got to a point where I was very unhappy watching the weight creep on, and finally made the decision to lose it. And when I did, I didn’t really find it all that much more difficult because of my age. Perhaps my number to be in calorie deficit is a bit less than in my 30s, but not that much.

I guess my reason for posting is that I think in my case I was at risk of letting that “truism” be a self-fulfilling prophecy. And I’m glad I didn’t.

This does seem to be happening somewhat with me.  It used to be that the very last place I'd gain weight was my belly...I would show a 6 pack with barely any effort... a little bit of ab work and bam, there it was. Now, fat seems to distribute on my belly in equal proportion as I gain. So even though I have some nice stomach muscles, I can't see 'em.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2022, 09:02:54 AM »
I'm 5'3, 44 yo, female and the struggle is real. I try to stay active and eat "clean", but at the end of the day there is only so much you can do to fight middle age weight creep I think.

This. I'm 5'0", female, and will turn 44 next month. Thanks to hormone shifts, the saying that you can't outrun a bad diet is truer than ever at this stage of life.

I'm curious if this will happen to me. I've been hearing variations of this since I was a teenager... wait until you gain the freshman 15, well just wait until you are in your 30s and your youthful metabolism slows down. Well, just wait until you hit your 40s, it gets so hard to lose weight, etc. But while I did gain some weight a few times over the years, it was always correlated with crap eating habits and I never found it difficult to lose it once I actually tried (sometimes I found it even more difficult to gain weight, esp in my early 40s).

Now I'm 51, and I'm not sure if this is affecting me or not... on the one hand, I have been sort of half assedly trying to drop 10 lbs, and after 4 months I'm only 5 lbs down, so I suspect my perimenopausal hormones might be contributing a bit; but on the other hand it's also true that I really haven't been working very hard reduce calories (maybe only by 100 per day if that). And I've added a bit of strength training, which might be balancing the loss with muscle gain.

It's hard to tell if I'm going to struggle like so many people do, given that I never have before. Most of my family is overweight to obese, so I don't know if I actually escaped some genetic tendency to be overweight, or if (as I suspect) I've just managed my diet slightly more effectively over many decades. I do know that it doesn't take much more than a few bites of certain foods every day to add up.

I don't think the bolded part or any part of your post contradicts "you can't outrun a bad diet."

I've never found it hard to maintain my weight when eating moderate portions of high-quality foods, limiting alcohol and sugar, and keeping my stress level down. Even now, the weight seems to be coming off slowly but steadily with a good-quality diet and mindfulness. But as you noted, it's harder to drop the weight through half-assed attempts as you get older. I have to pay attention to it and now, whereas when I was 24 I easily maintained my weight at 105 lbs without trying. That was 15 lbs lower than my current weight, and I'm not sure that I could safely get back there, nor do I really want to. I was almost too thin then, and now I suspect that I would look gaunt, especially with the loss of subcutaneous fat in my face.

Yeah, I didn't mean to contradict anything you said. We sound very similar. I'm also just trying to cut a bit from being at 120. And having struggled with being underweight in my mid 40s, I can almost guarantee you don't want to go back to 105.  I was hovering around 100-105 lbs for about 5 years before I finally managed to regain (if a little too much).  I looked 100% awesome in my 20s at that weight and I looked actively sick at that weight in my 40s. When you are fairly short, every pound in one direction or another makes a difference, for sure.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2022, 09:08:45 AM »

One thing that maybe was not emphasized enough times across this thread is the impact of strength training. Being active might not be doing as much as you’d think. Picking up heavy things (safely ) and putting them down repeatedly can be that missing factor some people.there are tons of ways of doing it.

Full disclosure: I don’t practice this technique. I run. And I have been doing it for a long time and know how far and how fast I need to go each day to keep up with my so so diet. When I can do 20 mile weeks regularly, that’s when I feel like I am getting things burned down like I want. That gets harder and harder to reach as the birthdays pile up.

Good luck! Hopefully you can find the thing that does it for you.

I was a runner (not super long distances though) for nearly 20 years and it did help keep the weight off. I've recently, reluctantly switched to walking because everything just started to hurt after runs. My doctor says I need to incorporate more weight lifting now. I am trying to do that but am unsure of how much to do? How many sessions per week and for how long? I've found some free weight videos online that I enjoy doing. But are they enough?

I don’t have much real advice, but your legs are hugely important. Big muscles there, make them bigger! Lunges, body weight squats are some easy things to do. I used to do a lot of legwork while walking the dog years ago.

Hopefully someone with better experiences will chime in for you.

And I understand the pains of running…

It's definitely possible to get over 50 and not be fluffy, but it takes more discipline then it would've in your 20s. I:
Low-key IF (no eating between 7:30 or so and around 10-11 most mornings)
Walk/run/hike (we have hills to go up) 4-5 miles/day , or go for bike rides of at least an hour, or some combo
Lift weights or HIIT workouts 3-4 days/week. I work with a trainer who comes up with my training program, and I lift quite heavy (for me) at least a couple of times/month. Recovery takes longer!
Pretty healthy eating habits. I cook just about everything that goes into my mouth (tortilla chips with hummus are an exception, and I put the chips in a bowl so I can do portion control). Meals are very veg-forward, and several dinners per week are vegetarian or vegan.
at last 8 hours of sleep/night

On the other hand, my kids are older (youngest is a HS Senior) and I work part-time. I have no idea how all this would work with younger kids and a full-time job.

I really recommend weight lifting. If you want to learn fun new techniques, though, you have to find someone to teach you how to do them. I kind of got lucky when I started asking around, but see if you can find someone with experience coaching older women -- young guys have an annoying tendency to respond to "how do I adapt this" questions with stupid advice (or, worse, sales tactics). You want someone who can see the places where you need to develop flexibility and technique and help you with that.

Great post.. I've just started modified intermittent fasting (only to simply reduce the number of hours that are available to eat and so I don't have to track so many calories, not so much b/c I'm super interested in fasting as a practice).  I would like to start weight lifting (I've no experience with it at all) but I would need to be very careful b/c I have a ligament and joint disorder, and get injured extremely easily. I've been prioritizing body weight work recently and that's going well, but I do have to ramp up incredibly slowly.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2022, 11:19:37 AM »

One thing that maybe was not emphasized enough times across this thread is the impact of strength training. Being active might not be doing as much as you’d think. Picking up heavy things (safely ) and putting them down repeatedly can be that missing factor some people.there are tons of ways of doing it.

Full disclosure: I don’t practice this technique. I run. And I have been doing it for a long time and know how far and how fast I need to go each day to keep up with my so so diet. When I can do 20 mile weeks regularly, that’s when I feel like I am getting things burned down like I want. That gets harder and harder to reach as the birthdays pile up.

Good luck! Hopefully you can find the thing that does it for you.

I was a runner (not super long distances though) for nearly 20 years and it did help keep the weight off. I've recently, reluctantly switched to walking because everything just started to hurt after runs. My doctor says I need to incorporate more weight lifting now. I am trying to do that but am unsure of how much to do? How many sessions per week and for how long? I've found some free weight videos online that I enjoy doing. But are they enough?

I don’t have much real advice, but your legs are hugely important. Big muscles there, make them bigger! Lunges, body weight squats are some easy things to do. I used to do a lot of legwork while walking the dog years ago.

Hopefully someone with better experiences will chime in for you.

And I understand the pains of running…

It's definitely possible to get over 50 and not be fluffy, but it takes more discipline then it would've in your 20s. I:
Low-key IF (no eating between 7:30 or so and around 10-11 most mornings)
Walk/run/hike (we have hills to go up) 4-5 miles/day , or go for bike rides of at least an hour, or some combo
Lift weights or HIIT workouts 3-4 days/week. I work with a trainer who comes up with my training program, and I lift quite heavy (for me) at least a couple of times/month. Recovery takes longer!
Pretty healthy eating habits. I cook just about everything that goes into my mouth (tortilla chips with hummus are an exception, and I put the chips in a bowl so I can do portion control). Meals are very veg-forward, and several dinners per week are vegetarian or vegan.
at last 8 hours of sleep/night

On the other hand, my kids are older (youngest is a HS Senior) and I work part-time. I have no idea how all this would work with younger kids and a full-time job.

I really recommend weight lifting. If you want to learn fun new techniques, though, you have to find someone to teach you how to do them. I kind of got lucky when I started asking around, but see if you can find someone with experience coaching older women -- young guys have an annoying tendency to respond to "how do I adapt this" questions with stupid advice (or, worse, sales tactics). You want someone who can see the places where you need to develop flexibility and technique and help you with that.

+1 to all this.  I occasionally like to do my own thing, but I like routine.  For awhile, that was a Kettlebell gym.  That gym closed, so I did weights at the Y.  These days, DH and I workout at home with Beachbody, and my BFF is LIIFT4 - because it combines 1) Traditional weightlifting, 2) HIIT 3x a week and 3) core.  On top of that, I run some and try to get 8k steps a day.

I do get lots of sleep, though lately in order to squeeze in our workouts, I'm having to set the alarm.  So a few days a week, it's 7.5 hours instead of 9, which is a bummer.  That's the peril of working FT with 2 kids at 2 schools...I drop off the younger one at elementary by 8:30 am.

If I worked part time, likely I'd up my walking/ hiking to more like 10k steps/day (some days I BARELY get 8k) and maybe eat less packaged food.  I don't eat a ton of packaged food, really (because I can't eat gluten), but GF pizza is a Friday night thing (+ leftovers on Sat and Sun).

I've also noticed more weight distribution on the belly.  Just trying to "half ass" weight loss, I can lose 3.5 lbs in 4 months.  This last month of trying to  hit my macros & 1800 cal/day, I've lost 3.9 lbs in 4 weeks.  I'd be thrilled if this trend continues at 2 lb/month and not 1 lb/ month.  I'd love to see 142 again.  I think.  I don't mind a little fluff actually.  Without it, I've got some pretty saggy belly skin - the perils of having a baby at 42.

kay02

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2022, 12:11:35 PM »
Alot of other people have said similar things but the main thing that has worked for me is building habits and taking decisionmaking out of the process.  Decision fatigue is real and slows things down.  I have the same thing for breakfast every day now, so "What's for breakfast?" is never even a concern.  I do the same thing for anything that is routine, it has to be the same every time, or something specific that I don't have to choose.  Same workout clothes every morning (I have like five sets of the exact same stuff), same routines, lots of meals I make really often.

Food-wise honestly I just keep it super simple these days.  Protein, vegetables, berries.  Keeps things easy no matter what variation I end up actually eating.  It just comes together based on what I have available in the fridge.  Living alone now helps a lot too.  No "exceptions" or "special occasions" from roommates shoving junk food in my face.  Same thing with being self-employed and not going to work where other people offered me junk all the time too.

Being able to set my own schedule spoils me for exercise too.  I can work out whenever I want but I make a point of keeping to a schedule and not allowing myself any exceptions at all.  If it's raining, I get wet.

I was chubby early on in high school and managed to shake it but it was a battle to maintain until the habits all got dialed in.  It also helps now that I 100% need to stay fit for work now, so it's literally my job to be healthy and fit in a way.  I know that if I let it get away from me it will eventually kill my bottom line.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #156 on: March 15, 2023, 11:11:13 AM »
I wanted to update this and thank everyone for their excellent advice. I've lost about 5 actual pounds since implementing my new 'painless protocol', which incorporates the following elements:

1. Getting enough protein. This has been by and large the biggest positive change. I used to skip breakfast because I was inevitably ravenous a few hours after eating it - turns out I wasn't getting enough protein. Nowadays I eat 400-600 calories for breakfast at 9:30, aiming for at least 25 grams of protein. Sometimes I can get this from food, but about half the time  I add in one scoop of whey protein for +15 grams.

2. I am then reliably not hungry at all until around 2pm, when I aim to eat 10-15 grams of protein via snack.

3. Dinner I eat whatever I make for the family, it 's sort of a free meal. Since it's made from scratch and usually not super calorie-heavy I feel comfortable eating however much I want. The astute will notice that I've basically skipped lunch. This works really well for me - I usually try to sneak in my exercise for the day instead of eating during my lunch break.

4. Evenings after the kid went to bed have reliably been a difficult point in the day for me -  I have been known to sit down and eat an entire sleeve of oreos. I have been making myself a mug of a warm beverage (sweetened with a little no-sugar syrup if necessary) and doing some breathing exercises as a substitute. It doesn't always work, but it frequently does.

5. I started lifting. Just 2-3 times a week for 20 minutes or so, plus cardio 15-20 minutes of cardio 2-3 times a week. I don't sweat it (no pun intended). If I just don't have it in me, I do 10 bodyweight squats and a 30s plank and count it as having lifted - the important part is just keeping the habit going. That mild calorie burn is my insurance for staying in a deficit, plus my body just works better with that regular exercise.

The loss has been slow but very sustainable, I think I am at a mild 200-ish calorie deficit per day. This fluctuates with the realities of day-to-day life but I do not feel deprived at all and am just trusting the process.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2023, 11:13:58 AM by Dee_ »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: March 15, 2023, 11:51:50 AM »
I wanted to update this and thank everyone for their excellent advice. I've lost about 5 actual pounds since implementing my new 'painless protocol', which incorporates the following elements:

1. Getting enough protein. This has been by and large the biggest positive change. I used to skip breakfast because I was inevitably ravenous a few hours after eating it - turns out I wasn't getting enough protein. Nowadays I eat 400-600 calories for breakfast at 9:30, aiming for at least 25 grams of protein. Sometimes I can get this from food, but about half the time  I add in one scoop of whey protein for +15 grams.

2. I am then reliably not hungry at all until around 2pm, when I aim to eat 10-15 grams of protein via snack.

3. Dinner I eat whatever I make for the family, it 's sort of a free meal. Since it's made from scratch and usually not super calorie-heavy I feel comfortable eating however much I want. The astute will notice that I've basically skipped lunch. This works really well for me - I usually try to sneak in my exercise for the day instead of eating during my lunch break.

4. Evenings after the kid went to bed have reliably been a difficult point in the day for me -  I have been known to sit down and eat an entire sleeve of oreos. I have been making myself a mug of a warm beverage (sweetened with a little no-sugar syrup if necessary) and doing some breathing exercises as a substitute. It doesn't always work, but it frequently does.

5. I started lifting. Just 2-3 times a week for 20 minutes or so, plus cardio 15-20 minutes of cardio 2-3 times a week. I don't sweat it (no pun intended). If I just don't have it in me, I do 10 bodyweight squats and a 30s plank and count it as having lifted - the important part is just keeping the habit going. That mild calorie burn is my insurance for staying in a deficit, plus my body just works better with that regular exercise.

The loss has been slow but very sustainable, I think I am at a mild 200-ish calorie deficit per day. This fluctuates with the realities of day-to-day life but I do not feel deprived at all and am just trusting the process.

Nice going! (I lost 10 lbs doing very similar...the last 5 lbs might be more effort than I want to make though LOL).

billygoatjohnson

• Stubble
« Reply #158 on: March 16, 2023, 09:02:42 AM »
3 simple options that don't take will power.

Stop eating processed food. Eat 2 meals a day.

Keto, keep carbs low like 50 or less. Eat 2 meals a day.

If you want the nuke, do carnivore. Eat 2 meals a day.

All will work, just depends how fast you want to lose weight.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: March 16, 2023, 09:50:11 AM »
twice a year I have to prove I can run 1.5 miles in 14 minutes. If I didn't have that requirement, I wouldn't do any goddamn cardio, because I hates it.

That's a reasonably swift pace . . . sounds like they want everyone to stay in shape.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #160 on: March 16, 2023, 11:14:54 AM »

It's funny that you think these methods don't require willpower for most people. I can't argue that they can work well for weight loss, however.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #161 on: March 16, 2023, 11:22:35 AM »

It's funny that you think these methods don't require willpower for most people. I can't argue that they can work well for weight loss, however.

I did literally laugh out loud at the no will power required to only eat two meals a day. I would be pacing in front of my fridge, brushing my teeth, chewing gum, making tea, doing jumpjacks, etc to distract myself if I was only eating two meals a day!

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: March 16, 2023, 11:37:31 AM »

Congratulations and nice work!

Decision fatigue is one of the big problems I have with calorie counting as well.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: March 16, 2023, 01:09:18 PM »
This is the solution.

https://www.ketodirty.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/ozempic-meme-1024x683.jpeg

Tirzepatide is the new standard, it isn't cheap but its reasonably safe and studies are showing massive results. 20+% body fat reduction.

I actually started this a week back. I can report back in a few months, but 1 week in... down 6 lbs already.

Basically just nukes your appetite, plus helps your body process sugars better.

https://www.lifespan.io/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Diabetic-Weight-Loss.png

billygoatjohnson

• Stubble
« Reply #165 on: March 16, 2023, 01:37:42 PM »

I did literally laugh out loud at the no will power required to only eat two meals a day. I would be pacing in front of my fridge, brushing my teeth, chewing gum, making tea, doing jumpjacks, etc to distract myself if I was only eating two meals a day!

Haha you have a point I didn't think of that, everyone is at a different stage! I guess I'm just so used to it, it has become normal. Maybe it took will power at first but eventually it became normal. I eat at 12:00, and 6:00. Hell sometimes I only eat once a day in the evening. After I broke the junk food addiction (processed food) I rarely crave food or feel hungry! I think your microbiome gets used to that crap and it CRAVES MORE. When your microbiome becomes healthy those critters are gone!

I used to have high blood pressure, no energy, get sick often, falling out hair, and bad skin. It's all good now! Just make sure you are getting like 100 grams of protein a day. I think that really helped my hair. whey protein powder is great for that. yeah it's technically processed but seems innocent enough!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 01:41:38 PM by billygoatjohnson »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #166 on: March 16, 2023, 02:20:19 PM »
This is the solution.

Tirzepatide is the new standard, it isn't cheap but its reasonably safe and studies are showing massive results. 20+% body fat reduction.

I actually started this a week back. I can report back in a few months, but 1 week in... down 6 lbs already.

Real talk, I'm on month 2 of semaglutide.  Managed to find a program where I pay $200/mo so I don't think it's prohibitively expensive, since I'm saving money now not buying alcohol or as much food.  It does work but one of the main mechanisms is by slowing down your digestion which basically has meant minor constipation if I eat too much.  I've lost weight but I wouldn't say that my quality of life is better.  I'm also nervous about the rebound appetite and weight gain if I ever go off the medication, but it's relatively easy to take.  I plan to taper off at some point and I feel terrible when I hear about shortages for diabetics, but I was also unable to maintain my weight with exercise and diet even though I eat salads and run half marathons.  I could get temporary weight reduction then it would creep back up.  Doesn't do anyone any good if I become a diabetic myself then go on the medication - I really hope they take my money and increase supply.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 02:21:58 PM by EscapeVelocity2020 »

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #167 on: March 16, 2023, 04:28:53 PM »
This is the solution.

Mounjaro right?  Is it covered by insurance? It is still off-label for treatment of obesity alone, no?
Wegovy is a very cool $1,631/mo cash price.   But you can buy on amazon for 15% discount with prime, and then 5% back with the prime credit card... lol

I am hopeful that this is a new regime of weight management - there seem to be lots of other benefits from taking some of these drugs.  And obviously the drug alone is not going to solve things.  Its a combination effort, but it gives quite the edge.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 04:33:48 PM by bryan995 »

EchoStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: March 16, 2023, 04:36:44 PM »
In case it benefits anyone, I'll suggest that the common approach of long slow cardio and restricting calories may not be the most effective for being healthy and losing weight.  The problem with long duration, low intensity cardio is that it slows metabolism and is catabolic meaning that it burns muscle.  Perhaps a more beneficial strategy to consider is one that *builds* muscle and *increases* metabolism.

This is optimally achieved through strength training.  The most optimal method of strength training is compound movements i.e. those that constitute 2 or more joints, with weights that make sets of 5 reps challenging.  Building muscle is what "tones".  Being able to visualize this "tone" comes from fat reduction.  Fat reduction is only achieved through a caloric deficit.

So "toned" means building muscle and reducing fat.  Don't worry...lifting weights won't make you bulky.  Sitting on the couch eating donuts is what makes you bulky.

Some tips for how to achieve a caloric deficit. 

1) Don't do things that slow your metabolism....like run slowly for a long time.  Now your starving yourself with 1200 calories and still can't lose weight because your body is desperately clinging to every calorie it can get, and trying to store it as fat for the next time that your body is starving to death while running slowly for a long time.  So that donut on the weekend is all stored as fat by your starving body.

2) Lift heavy weights to build muscle. (this might mean a 15 or 20 lb dumbell for over head press, for example, or pushup from the knees)

3) Do HIIT or high intensity interval training instead of long, slow cardio.  It is over 4x more effective than LISS cardio for burning fat and calories.  It is also extremely time efficient since it only takes 15 minutes(per session) to do 15 minutes of HITT 2-3x/week.

One of the BEST forms of HIIT that is super effective and cheap is to find a used Schwinne Airdyne on FB Marketplace or whatever for about $200.  Follow this protocol:

Warmup for a couple of minutes, then sprint for 20 seconds.  Rest for 1:40, which brings you to the 2:00 mark.  Sprint for 20, rest 1:40.  So sprint on the 2,4,6,8,etc minute mark.  Work your way up to 7 rounds for a 15 minute HITT workout.  This RAMPS your metabolism and keeps it there for an extended period.  You become LESS efficient with the calories you consume, meaning you can eat more without gaining weight.

Why a 20 second sprint?  The human body is actually incapable of truly sprinting for a full 20 seconds i.e. it's more than long enough.  In fact, don't sprint at first, just pedal at a moderately hard pace.  Push as your fitness level increases.

Trust me, time will warp; 20 seconds will turn into 2 minutes, and the 1:40 rest will turn into 20 seconds.  It's hard, but short and it works. 

I recommend HIIT on non training days.  Resistance training will provide its own metabolism boost, so HIIT on non training days helps keep the metabolism ramped up nicely.

As far as eating, ultimately you have to find what works long term for you.  An easy strategy that is nearly guaranteed to work without strict calorie counting or portion control, is to simply eat only single ingredient foods.  Think healthy of course, so no fried foods, be reasonable with high calorie additives like butter(not a single ingredient food).

You can literally eat as much as you can stand every meal with grilled chicken, veggies, and rice, cutout sweetened drinks, and snacks and stick to only single ingredient foods, and it is literally almost impossible to not lose weight.  Combine with strength training and HIIT, and your body will transform.

The added muscle mass will allow you to eat more calories.  Strength training and HIIT will ramp up your metabolism and allow you to eat more calories.  Eat single ingredient foods and you can eat until you're stuffed every meal.

When you fall off the wagon, which ALWAYS happens sometimes, your body won't be in starvation mode due to absurd calorie restriction and running slowly for a long time.  So when you splurge some weekend on pizza and snacks at a party, your new, more muscular, high metabolism body will burn thought the calories with ease.

A possible routine would be strength training on MWF which allows for recovery, and HIIT on Tue/TR.  Take the weekend off if you'd like. 

Anyways, just some food for thought.  Hope some people find this helpful.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 04:38:50 PM by UltraStache »

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2023, 08:45:22 AM »
This is the solution.

Mounjaro right?  Is it covered by insurance? It is still off-label for treatment of obesity alone, no?
Wegovy is a very cool $1,631/mo cash price.   But you can buy on amazon for 15% discount with prime, and then 5% back with the prime credit card... lol

I am hopeful that this is a new regime of weight management - there seem to be lots of other benefits from taking some of these drugs.  And obviously the drug alone is not going to solve things.  Its a combination effort, but it gives quite the edge.

Yeah, but I actually got a prescription from a doctor that simply focuses on GLP-1 drugs. The specific drug I take is "Compounded Tirzepatide" so it's more like Tirzepatide mixed with B6, that way they can avoid the legal issues. Same stuff though. Self-pay, no insurance. It's 250-450 a month depending on dosage (you progress from 2.5mg to 15mg in 2.5mg steps, most never hit the max, it's really REALLY effective)

Tirzepatide is the peptide found in Mounjaro (the active ingredient, if you will)

It's about 50% more effective than Semiglutide (Ozempic/Wegovy)

I'll report back every now and then... about 2 weeks in, down 8lbs (6ft male, 260->252) with the only side effect being some constipation.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 08:52:47 AM by TheAnonOne »

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2023, 11:11:45 AM »
This is the solution.

Yeah, but I actually got a prescription from a doctor that simply focuses on GLP-1 drugs. The specific drug I take is "Compounded Tirzepatide" so it's more like Tirzepatide mixed with B6, that way they can avoid the legal issues. Same stuff though. Self-pay, no insurance. It's 250-450 a month depending on dosage (you progress from 2.5mg to 15mg in 2.5mg steps, most never hit the max, it's really REALLY effective)

Tirzepatide is the peptide found in Mounjaro (the active ingredient, if you will)

I'll report back every now and then... about 2 weeks in, down 8lbs (6ft male, 260->252) with the only side effect being some constipation.

That's great.  Which compounding pharmacy are you using? 

Mounjarno is $1051/mo cash price.  PCP was happy to call in a prescription sans insurance/PA.  So $600 cheaper than wegovy at $1600/mo, with the potentially better outcomes.  No way to have either covered or even use the manufacturer coupon card due to needing a T2 diagnosis.   I am going to also explore joinsequence and see what they can do/suggest.

We have a bunch of savings in our HSA, that could be used for this, but am ok to pay the cash price if absolutely needed. 
Should hopefully be starting in the next week or two :)

EDIT - was able to pickup today. Manufacturer coupon worked and took $500 off.
$561/mo total. Not too bad. And now will accumulate receipts for later HSA withdrawals :)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 06:03:01 PM by bryan995 »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2023, 11:47:56 AM »

2) Lift heavy weights to build muscle. (this might mean a 15 or 20 lb dumbell for over head press, for example, or pushup from the knees)

3) Do HIIT or high intensity interval training instead of long, slow cardio.  It is over 4x more effective than LISS cardio for burning fat and calories.  It is also extremely time efficient since it only takes 15 minutes(per session) to do 15 minutes of HITT 2-3x/week.

I've never found any slowing of metabolism from regular moderate-intensity cardio, which has been my mainstay for decades, but I can't deny that strength training and HIIT are more time-efficient and effective for weight loss and for changing overall body shape. Clearly that's what I need to switch to if I want to tackle that last 5-7 lbs of fat, esp now that I'm in menopause.

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2023, 11:58:41 AM »
This is the solution.

Mounjarno is $1051/mo cash price.  PCP was happy to call in a prescription sans insurance/PA.  So $600 cheaper than wegovy at $1600/mo, with the potentially better outcomes.  No way to have either covered or even use the manufacturer coupon card due to needing a T2 diagnosis.   I am going to also explore joinsequence and see what they can do/suggest.

We have a bunch of savings in our HSA, that could be used for this, but am ok to pay the cash price if absolutely needed. 

The doctor I am using, I believe (90% sure) uses "ACA" out of Tennessee. So far so good. Again, too early to really call it. Need 3-6 months.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2023, 12:50:56 PM »

I've never found any slowing of metabolism from regular moderate-intensity cardio, which has been my mainstay for decades, but I can't deny that strength training and HIIT are more time-efficient and effective for weight loss and for changing overall body shape. Clearly that's what I need to switch to if I want to tackle that last 5-7 lbs of fat, esp now that I'm in menopause.
Same.

I am, however, going to take issue with this:

Eat single ingredient foods and you can eat until you're stuffed every meal.

Nope, sadly, this is not the case for this particular menopausal female.  Jury is still out on "satisfied" vs. "stuffed".

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #174 on: March 23, 2023, 01:16:09 PM »
I am, however, going to take issue with this:

Eat single ingredient foods and you can eat until you're stuffed every meal.

Nope, sadly, this is not the case for this particular menopausal female.  Jury is still out on "satisfied" vs. "stuffed".

That's where the magic of these GLP-1 medications comes in.  I seriously feel stuffed much more quickly and I don't ever really feel starved.  I have to remind myself to eat half the time.  But that's also why I said that my 'quality of life' isn't necessarily better.  Although I'm not struggling to lose weight or maintain a more trim waistline anymore, I used to really enjoy food :(

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2023, 05:38:57 AM »
Have you tried intermittent fasting?  When I want to lose weight I do the 8/16 fast where I do not eat from 8:00PM to noon the next day (16 hrs) and I eat a nice sized lunch and dinner with two snacks.  I lose 1-2 lbs per week when I do this religiously.  It takes a bit to get used to, and thankfully I can drink black coffee between when I wake up and lunch time...

I do this same schedule occasionally too. I also lose weight fairly rapidly. It's very easy to stick to, I find I don't actually feel hungry in the morning until about 11:00 AM.

Strangely, when I do eat breakfast, I'll get hungry way earlier before lunch, like 9:00 AM (breakfast at 6:00 AM). It's like when I fast my body adapts to not getting food, and makes not snacking easier.

I also notice my blood sugar seems to stay more level when I do 8/16 fasting.

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2023, 06:05:41 PM »
Re: intermittent fasting. I tried a lite version, eating breakfast around 10:30. But like you said, once I started eating I’d be extra hungry. Id eat fruit an hour later. Lunch would be heavy at 1, and dinner at 7.

My brother fast-fasts and it seems highly counterproductive. He skips all the healthy calories he would have eaten during his fast, then feels like he’s allowed to eat whatever he wants and in whatever quantity he wants.

I’d like to condition myself to eat 3 small/ moderate healthy meals rather than 2 large meals. If I stop IF I would then eat 3 large meals because I’m not used to feeling full on smaller meals. And then of course IF is socially restrictive.

ETA: today was a success. I ate: breakfast: 2 eggs, handful nuts, tea with milk-400 cal, lunch: veggie heavy chicken pad Thai -400 cal, snack: tea with milk 100 cal, snack: fruit salad 200 cal, dinner: 2 bean tuna taco -200 cal.  1300 calories total.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2023, 06:27:35 PM by Runrooster »

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: March 29, 2023, 01:26:06 PM »
^. with respect to the social component, I don't usually meet people for breakfast, so not eating until 10 or 11 (depending on how I feel) is usually not a big lift. Then I mostly focus on being certain to eat 10 servings/day of fruits and veg, mostly the latter.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #178 on: March 29, 2023, 02:00:36 PM »
^. with respect to the social component, I don't usually meet people for breakfast, so not eating until 10 or 11 (depending on how I feel) is usually not a big lift. Then I mostly focus on being certain to eat 10 servings/day of fruits and veg, mostly the latter.

Also, IF can be done flexibly.

I was doing OMAD and didn't have any specific time for my window. I found this optimally flexible because I could just wait for whatever social event to start eating. I switched from a specific window to flexible OMAD while traveling specifically because I had so many social events to account for.

If I had two social events in one day, no big deal, just do two meals that day.

I find not having to eat multiple times a day way easier and more flexible than being beholden to a regular schedule of hunger.

DH eats 3 times a day and gets ferociously hungry like clockwork. That's way more inconvenient for socializing because he eats a few hours earlier than most people, and he can't just wait a few (or several) hours like I can.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 02:02:19 PM by Metalcat »

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #179 on: March 29, 2023, 02:16:31 PM »
I was just planning on continuing to learn from this thread, but since fasting has now come up, I feel like I should at least throw it out there:

Like another person mentioned in this thread (maybe Metalcat?) I have a relatively low calorie threshold to not gain weight - 1360-1400 cals a day. Their comment recently about making sure their low calories are packed with nutrition really sat with me. I have a bad habit of leaving nutrients out in favor of bulk.

So anyway, about a month ago I was looking for a way to track whether I was putting real nutrients in my body, but also I don't want to input a thousand numbers and entries.

I found this food app that has you set a goal (and it can be ANY goal) and take a picture of what you eat, and then you say whether your meal is on path towards your goal, or off path - that is it!

Anyways - what does this have to do with fasting? I have found that if I'm hitting my goal of "actual nutrition in my meals" 80% of the time, then I find I'm not that hungry and I'm accidentally fasting just from paying attention to nutrition and hunger.

I've previously tried IF and ended up with awful headaches and nausea - but the last two weeks, I've naturally fallen into a 15/9 pattern most days with no issues at all. 

I'm not expecting anything long term, other than trying to treat my body in a way that makes it happy as often as I can, but it has been super interesting to me as someone who attempted IF a few times in the past.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 03:00:53 PM by StarBright »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #180 on: March 29, 2023, 03:24:05 PM »
I was just planning on continuing to learn from this thread, but since fasting has now come up, I feel like I should at least throw it out there:

Like another person mentioned in this thread (maybe Metalcat?) I have a relatively low calorie threshold to not gain weight - 1360-1400 cals a day. Their comment recently about making sure their low calories are packed with nutrition really sat with me. I have a bad habit of leaving nutrients out in favor of bulk.

So anyway, about a month ago I was looking for a way to track whether I was putting real nutrients in my body, but also I don't want to input a thousand numbers and entries.

I found this food app that has you set a goal (and it can be ANY goal) and take a picture of what you eat, and then you say whether your meal is on path towards your goal, or off path - that is it!

Anyways - what does this have to do with fasting? I have found that if I'm hitting my goal of "actual nutrition in my meals" 80% of the time, then I find I'm not that hungry and I'm accidentally fasting just from paying attention to nutrition and hunger.

I've previously tried IF and ended up with awful headaches and nausea - but the last two weeks, I've naturally fallen into a 15/9 pattern most days with no issues at all. 

I'm not expecting anything long term, other than trying to treat my body in a way that makes it happy as often as I can, but it has been super interesting to me as someone who attempted IF a few times in the past.

This is a really good point.

I can't do OMAD if I eat nutrient poor trash for that one meal. I will just keep eating every few hours until I feel well fed with nutrients, not calories.

If I cram a giant meal with nutrients and enough calories, I'm perfectly fine until the next day.

Food quality plays a HUGE role for me in IF.

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2023, 07:35:59 PM »

I think for me, if I’m used to my first meal being at 12, I want it at 12 not 1 or 2, the way lunch gets socially. If I ate a reasonable breakfast maybe I’ll have some fruit to tide me over until lunch but generally it’s not a big deal.

The more meals and snacks I eat, the easier it is to delay one. There are still limitations there, like when a dinner party puts out snacks at 7 and dinner at 9:30. Invariably I end up eating the unhealthy snacks instead of delaying until dinner.

ETA: All those years I was lite IF, my parents were getting up early to make my breakfast, an omelet I’d pack up and which never tasted as good reheated. Now I’m making my own omelet but again it takes almost as little time to eat it right away, fresh, than pack and reheat and clean a Tupperware. Eliminating that meal means getting rid of one of the easiest, cheap, healthy meals of the day.

That’s what I’ve seen with my brothers fasting for 2-3 days. Not only does he miss the healthy veg and protein he would have eaten those meals, he eats less healthy in the meals he does eat because he’s loading up on calories. If someone eats OMAD, that’s what 1300 calories in one meal?  Probably it’s not a big spinach salad with no dressing.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 07:28:38 AM by Runrooster »

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2023, 09:25:30 AM »
I'm a 5'5" middle-aged woman. With a BMI of 24, I just found out my blood sugars are in the pre-diabetic range. For the past year, I've been exercising about 5 hours a week (biking, ice skating), in addition to living in a city that requires me to walk and go up and down stairs nearly every day.

The exercising made me ravenously hungry, especially at the beginning, and though I've gained muscle, I can tell I've also gained a substantial amount of fat. To be healthy, for me, I need to either get my BMI back down to 22 (lose 10lbs), or substantially change my body composition of muscle vs fat.

I've never successfully lost weight in my life, and I've never counted calories. My plan for now is to eat 3 full meals of high-protein, high-quality calories and eliminate snacking in-between. I'm going to write down what I eat to keep myself accountable. If this doesn't work, I'm going to have to monitor more closely (count calories???).

I also started going to the climbing gym a couple of months ago, when my kid started taking classes. I feel like the impact on my strength and fitness of climbing is significantly more than biking and ice skating, vs the time and effort put into it. I'm only going 1x a week, when my kid is in class, and I can now lift the stand mixer, I can open jars, and backpacks feel lighter.

The exercise euphoria that some people describe: what's that? I've never felt anything like that in my life, either with cardio or strength training. Exercise mostly just makes me tired. I love the activity of ice skating itself, the feeling of gliding across the ice, so that's kept me motivated. I also enjoy being fit.

Also, how do some people get 8-9 hours of sleep every night??? Up until recently, I'd been averaging maybe 6.5. I got custom cellular blackout shades a few weeks ago that make my bedroom really, really dark. That has helped me sleep 7-8 hours some nights. But I still often wake up after 6.5, and I feel fine.

I would like to be the person who sleeps 8-9 hours a night, still has high energy after exercising for 2 hours, and has no trouble keeping up with my high-energy kid. Is that something I can change? I've been exercising 2 hours twice a week for the last year, and that hasn't made a significant difference in my sleep.

The sprints UltraStache described above sound intriguing. Problem is, even after going on a short 14-minute run earlier this week, I'm still feeling it in my hips. I have valgus knees, so I think it's a combination of mal-alignment and getting older. I do other exercises that don't put the same stress on my hips and knees, but I'm thinking it's probably also important to work on my alignment for my long-term mobility (and to avoid joint replacements at some point).

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2023, 11:55:57 AM »
This is the solution.

The doctor I am using, I believe (90% sure) uses "ACA" out of Tennessee. So far so good. Again, too early to really call it. Need 3-6 months.

Update: Lost another 2.2lbs for W3, bringing me to just under 12lbs down. 0 side effects.

260->248 6ft tall male.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2023, 12:16:06 PM »
@Mariposa - it's hard! With kid(s), age, and a slowing metabolism it's very hard. Simple, but not easy.

You'll get ten different pieces of advice from ten different people because everyone's body and metabolism is different, but this is what has worked for me (mid-30s, 5'4, one kid, BMI 26, was losing at a very slow but steady pace until I got pregnant a few weeks ago):

-Lots of lean & plant protein, more than you think you need. I find that if I eat a good breakfast with at least 30 grams of protein, it carries me through the early afternoon.
-Lift and/or run most days. I try to keep my baseline at lift 2x week (20 minutes of various dumbbell exercises) and cardio 2x/week (anything that gets the heart rate into 70-80% HRM territory).

The keystone for me has been recognizing that this is as much a psychological journey as a physical journey. Recognition, for instance, that exercise should not be punishment for eating. Instead,  It's a privilege to have a healthy body that moves. Recognition that forming the habit is more important than beating myself up for not having the willpower. And, of course, realizing that perfect is the enemy of good. I will probably never get the body of my 18-year-old self back. But I've increased my life expectancy, given myself enough fitness to play with my kid without getting out of breath, and reduced the risk of blowing out my knee or back reaching down to pick something up. For me, that's pretty damn good and reason enough to keep going.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 06:32:23 PM by Dee_ »

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2023, 12:32:09 PM »
This is the solution.

Update: Lost another 2.2lbs for W3, bringing me to just under 12lbs down. 0 side effects.

260->248 6ft tall male.
nice work!

My strategy is to do it right when I wake up and am not fully awake yet. This trick has me starting before I can realize what I'm doing, by the time I realize it I don't wan't to stop because, objects in motion and such.

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2023, 01:02:54 PM »
@Mariposa - it's hard! With kid(s), age, and a slowing metabolism it's very hard. Simple, but not easy.

You'll get ten different pieces of advice from ten different people because everyone's body and metabolism is different, but this is what has worked for me (mid-30s, 5'4, one kid, BMI 26, was losing at a very slow but steady pace until I got pregnant a few weeks ago):

-Lots of lean & plant protein, more than you think you need. I find that if I eat a good breakfast with at least 30 grams of protein, it carries me through the early afternoon.
-Lift and/or run most days. I try to keep my baseline at lift 2x week (20 minutes of various dumbbell exercises) and cardio 2x/week (anything that gets the heart rate into 70-80% HRM territory).

The keystone for me has been recognizing that this is as much a psychological journey as a physical journey. Recognition, for instance, that exercise should not be punishment for eating. It's a privilege. Recognition that forming the habit is more important than beating myself up for not having the willpower. And, of course, realizing that perfect is the enemy of good. I will probably never get the body of my 18-year-old self back. But I've increased my life expectancy, given myself enough fitness to play with my kid without getting out of breath, and reduced the risk of blowing out my knee or back reaching down to pick something up. For me, that's pretty damn good and reason enough to keep going.

This is gold.

Also, if running hurts, you can do "sprints" a bunch of other ways -- you can definitely do 30 second full-effort intervals on an exercise bike. Or even running in place. Check out the New York Times "HIIT" programs, or even any of the variety of 8-minute or 6-minute workouts (for your amusement, there's also feedback: https://fitisafeministissue.com/2020/02/23/the-nyt-6-minute-workout-commenters-critiques-and-robust-responses/). The idea is to do something as hard as you can for 30-40 seconds, rest for 10-20 seconds, and then repeat 4-8 times.  (Look up "Tabata Workout", but watch out for people who have you do the whole thing multiple times. 1 set of 8 rounds is plenty, really!) I take a class (once/week -- also, no need to do sprints or their kin too frequently) that frequently makes use of "Bulgarian Bags", which is fun.

And I, too, made the decision about what to do based on looking at relatively fit women in my mother's generation, ie 30 years older than I. What would I like to be able to do when I get to that age? How can I avoid some of the problems they're having?  I like to think of my workouts as being a gift to future me, just like my savings and spending habits are a gift to future me. She'll be able to pick up grandkids!

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2023, 10:30:48 AM »

@StarBright This has always been my problem. I've tried and discarded myfitnesspal like 10x because I just can't deal with the minutae of calorie counting. I know there's an investment up front but I can never get over that hump and it feels burdensome and onerous.
(I'm the same way with tracking my spending; I could never do YNAB or writing down every single transaction down to the penny, and instead I rely on mint to generate reports for me which I can review. My brain works better thinking slightly bigger picture instead of getting bogged down and overwhelmed with the day-to-day details)

I tend to mindlessly snack. if there are baked goods in the house I demolish them. I'm not paying attention to what goes in my mouth and making considered choices; I'm choosing what is convenient. And because convenience is such a big driver for me, going through the extremely INconvenient MFP process just never happens no matter how I try lol

But much like my spending, I do need to create that similar pause moment with food, to step back and see my patterns that are both working and not working, and are or are not going in a direction I want. I KNOW more nutritionally satisfying foods would make me feel better and more full, but in the moment, food is just food and I'm alleviating an urgent need and quieting the pangs. But food isn't just food; its a tradeoff and I think I need to be more conveniently and quickly reminded of what I'm trading.

Anyway, this app you mention has me very intrigued! Knowing my difficulties in the past, it seems like a much better fit for how my brain works. I tried a couple of google searches but came up empty, so I'm hoping to learn the name of this app so I can check it out.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2023, 11:02:33 AM »
@Lady SA  - happy to share :)

It is https://youate.com/  or just "Ate" on the app store I think.

It isn't free, but I think it was 40 bucks a year. I've used it every day for over a month so I'm pretty happy with it.

I think I was googling "best mindful eating" apps when I found it, but people also seem to use it to track IF and also for ED recovery.  It is very non-judgmental!

« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 12:02:27 PM by StarBright »

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2023, 11:45:53 AM »
Congratulations, @Dee_ ! Both on finding a food & fitness routine that works for you, and the new babe;)

I actually don't know if losing weight is hard or not; I've never prioritized it. I'm mid-40s, BMI 24, have been doing 5-7 hours of at least moderate-intensity exercise each week, in addition to walking 30-60 mins every day, for the last year, and my sugars are in the pre-diabetic range. So things have to change.

The problem is, any fat I gain goes straight to my belly and gives me insulin resistance. Wish it would go to my butt, where it could be useful padding for skating falls!

To be healthy, for me, I'm probably going to have to be on the lean side, for the rest of my life.

@jeninco Great ideas for different types of sprints. I can't fit any exercise equipment in my apartment, but I'm going to start experimenting with sprints on my bike and ice skating. I'm actually pretty fit from all this exercise, so a good commuter pace on my bike feels like walking. I put my bike on a lower gear today & tried to sprint down a stretch with timed lights; was definitely a work-out, and I could feel it in my quads.

I've mostly been focusing on learning new skating skills (crossovers, edges, turns, beginning spins), but I'll try some sprints there, too.

I feel fullll after eating a meal with 30g protein.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2023, 12:56:02 PM »
This is the solution.

260->248 6ft tall male.
nice work!

My strategy is to do it right when I wake up and am not fully awake yet. This trick has me starting before I can realize what I'm doing, by the time I realize it I don't want to stop because, objects in motion and such.

Both my wife and I are on MJ (trizepitide) now.  We are using it to jump start yet another big push at prioritizing health/fitness, along with all of the other changes one would recommend (diet, fasting, exercise). Most health numbers are right on the border, so it is time to do something. So far so good.

I view it as a tool - and it is an incredible one at that.  I've had no side effects, endless energy and have already lost 7 lbs.  My wife is not as lucky - losing weight, but is suffering from nausea. 

The appetite suppression / satiety is a game-changer for the field.  This is going to be big.  I will be moving some funds to invest in companies in this space.

Navigating insurance has been a nightmare.  We are both paying the cash price.  $1051/mo per person.  Using the coupon could bring it down to $551/mo, but the coupon goes away in June, and requires one to self-attest to T2D dx.  No chance to find this magical "old" coupon that folks are using to get it for $25/mo.

Stock is another problem - hard to find places with this in stock and available.  You can only use this coupon every 23 days, so one cannot plan ahead.

While we can afford the $2100/mo expense if needed, it's beyond cost prohibitive for most.  This is one concern I've always had for later in life during FIRE.  How can one plan ahead for spending $2-4k/mo on some medication that is not covered, that is deemed useful/necessary. 
You need to basically overshoot your budget by 2-3x to have such flexibility. 

Guess I will just continue to OMY :-)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 04:13:21 PM by bryan995 »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #191 on: March 31, 2023, 01:47:06 PM »
My additional 2 cents on Semaglutide, now on month 3.  Hard to tell how much weight loss since I didn't 100% note my starting point, but at least 10 lbs.  The game changer for me is that my weight is not drifting back up, although I am slowing down my exercise to allow my body to heal more.  I used to be borderline obsessed with my diet and exercise in order to maintain 210lbs or less, no matter what.  My biggest fear as I round the 50 mark was the extra stress on my joints and ending up in a spiral of injury and inability to maintain my weight at some point.

I tried to use my HSA and was denied, although I am using a 'medically necessary' justification for the prescription...  very grey area.  I received a text the other day that supplies are hard to find any my next shipment would be delayed, but it is now on the way.  Also was informed that my monthly cost has gone from $200/mo to $300/mo...  Very much willing to pay this, I feel fortunate to be able to continue to maintain my health with this new tool.

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #192 on: March 31, 2023, 03:29:13 PM »

@StarBright This has always been my problem. I've tried and discarded myfitnesspal like 10x because I just can't deal with the minutae of calorie counting. I know there's an investment up front but I can never get over that hump and it feels burdensome and onerous.
(I'm the same way with tracking my spending; I could never do YNAB or writing down every single transaction down to the penny, and instead I rely on mint to generate reports for me which I can review. My brain works better thinking slightly bigger picture instead of getting bogged down and overwhelmed with the day-to-day details)

I tend to mindlessly snack. if there are baked goods in the house I demolish them. I'm not paying attention to what goes in my mouth and making considered choices; I'm choosing what is convenient. And because convenience is such a big driver for me, going through the extremely INconvenient MFP process just never happens no matter how I try lol

But much like my spending, I do need to create that similar pause moment with food, to step back and see my patterns that are both working and not working, and are or are not going in a direction I want. I KNOW more nutritionally satisfying foods would make me feel better and more full, but in the moment, food is just food and I'm alleviating an urgent need and quieting the pangs. But food isn't just food; its a tradeoff and I think I need to be more conveniently and quickly reminded of what I'm trading.

Anyway, this app you mention has me very intrigued! Knowing my difficulties in the past, it seems like a much better fit for how my brain works. I tried a couple of google searches but came up empty, so I'm hoping to learn the name of this app so I can check it out.

Hi Lady SA,

You sound like my brother who eats whatever is put in front of him (cooks occasionally) and refuses to track calories in or out. I’m a math geek so I put my food journal in an excel spreadsheet which he had a good laugh at. But, unlike MFP, it takes about 5 minutes in the evening to update. There are two huge advantages, the first is that I type up what I plan to eat the next day. The second is getting to dinner time, I’ll change up my planned day to what actually happened, thus allowing me to modify dinner to eat less, balance differently, or even eat more.

The key to all of this is that I am not looking up exact calories on each food item. If it has a good label, I use that. But I ballpark basic foods. Banana is 100 calories, I don’t weigh it or guess if it’s medium or large. Milk is 150. Bread is 100 for a thin slice. Rice is 200 calories per cup, white or brown.  I mean, maybe I’m underestimating by 10-30 calories each item, or maybe some are overestimated. I don’t sweat those details. I’m comparing to myself, my 1300,1600,2200 days, may not be exact but it gets me in the ballpark of how much I ate relatively speaking. On a huge feast day, I try to remember what I ate, again ballpark the calories or size and Move. On. I didn’t make it, I don’t know what’s in it, or how many servings the recipe made- maybe I ate 3100 calories, maybe 3500, let’s hope it wasn’t 4500.

And that’s enough. It’s enough to know croissant have twice the calories of bread even if you don’t know that one is 114.3 calories and one is 232.  Maybe brown rice is 185 calories after you net out the fiber, and white rice is 207-I’m making up numbers because I can’t be bothered to find the accurate ones- but unless you’re RainMan that accuracy is not usable as data.

I don’t know you, what I notice with my brother is that he buckets food into good or bad and then eats freely from good. So he’s decided fruits are bad and won’t touch them but nuts are good and he’ll eat a cup as a snack. I think if you realize a cup of nuts is 500 calories where an apple is 100, that might play out differently.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 03:43:27 PM by Runrooster »

Runrooster

• Bristles
« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2023, 04:12:49 AM »
Hi Lady SA,

Quick follow up because I was really thinking about your comment about demolishing baked goods. My brother does something similar, and it’s not just one food. I worry he has binge eating disorder because he can demolish whatever is in front of him.

One incident he dropped by when I was making spanakopita and I put a batch in front of him, expecting him to take 2-3, maybe 5. He ate the whole batch of 15 like it was dinner, ignoring 3 other people at the table. More recently again he dropped by an hour before dinner; I served him apps of mini spring rolls, but portioned them out: 6 for me, 6 for him, 3 for my Dad. I ate mine, he ate his, Dad was waiting a minute. My brother took them off my Dads plate without even asking. There are similar stories of him and cherry pie or scalloped potatoes or the bowl of pistachios.

I’m not perfect, I’ve been known to polish off an entire bag of chips, so I don’t buy them. But I’m not taking food off my Dads plate or demolishing food meant for 4 people. I’m sure he and you have the concept of a balanced meal, half the plate should be vegetables, quarter protein, quarter carbs. No calorie counting required. Start with half a baked good, add protein and veg to balance. You can have another half at the next meal.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2023, 07:01:22 AM »

. . .Snip

I actually don't know if losing weight is hard or not; I've never prioritized it. I'm mid-40s, BMI 24, have been doing 5-7 hours of at least moderate-intensity exercise each week, in addition to walking 30-60 mins every day, for the last year, and my sugars are in the pre-diabetic range. So things have to change.

The problem is, any fat I gain goes straight to my belly and gives me insulin resistance. Wish it would go to my butt, where it could be useful padding for skating falls!

My health stats are pretty similar to yours (but with a BMI that keeps inching over 25 the last few years, while I fight it back down), and knowing some of the similarities of our lives, we probably shouldn't discount the stress/blood sugar connection.

I hate nothing more than my doc telling me I should try to be less stressed, so I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that sometimes you can do everything right and it still won't work the way it is supposed to due to outside stressors.

I know you said you can't keep exercise equipment in your home, and you are probably using all of your space efficiently - but any chance you can fit a rebounder trampoline somewhere? I've been using mine pretty regularly for a couple of years now and I'm able to stash it behind a corner chair when I need to put it away.

Lady SA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2023, 03:42:54 PM »
Hi Lady SA,

Quick follow up because I was really thinking about your comment about demolishing baked goods. My brother does something similar, and it’s not just one food. I worry he has binge eating disorder because he can demolish whatever is in front of him.

One incident he dropped by when I was making spanakopita and I put a batch in front of him, expecting him to take 2-3, maybe 5. He ate the whole batch of 15 like it was dinner, ignoring 3 other people at the table. More recently again he dropped by an hour before dinner; I served him apps of mini spring rolls, but portioned them out: 6 for me, 6 for him, 3 for my Dad. I ate mine, he ate his, Dad was waiting a minute. My brother took them off my Dads plate without even asking. There are similar stories of him and cherry pie or scalloped potatoes or the bowl of pistachios.

I’m not perfect, I’ve been known to polish off an entire bag of chips, so I don’t buy them. But I’m not taking food off my Dads plate or demolishing food meant for 4 people. I’m sure he and you have the concept of a balanced meal, half the plate should be vegetables, quarter protein, quarter carbs. No calorie counting required. Start with half a baked good, add protein and veg to balance. You can have another half at the next meal.

I was using the term "demolish" facetiously. I think you're reading too much into my comment. Just means that if I make a loaf of banana bread, I can easily convince myself to eat 2-3 slices instead of 1, after I'm objectively satiated and not necessarily eating out of hunger any more. The "demolishing" means that the loaf disappears incredibly quickly, especially compared to a loaf of simple whole wheat that sits neglected right next to it. I just like the taste of flour-y, sweet baked goods and over-eat them when they are available because they are convenient and satisfying. I'm definitely not swiping food off other people's plates like your brother; that's not demolishing food, that's just rude.

Thanks for your ideas above; I think you missed my point though. I was trying to make the connection between my disinterest with writing down $ transactions as the same difficulty with writing down my "food spending". I wasn't asking for advice on how to make the act of writing down my "food spending" easier; what I was trying to get across is that while I find tracking spending and food intake obviously valuable because they derive into patterns, I also personally find the exercise of maintaining a continuous "spending log" (even if just estimations) unsustainable and tedious in literally all areas of my life, so a zero-fatigue solution to food tracking is exciting to me.

Essentially, I don't like tracking for tracking's sake. I like tracking for the insights that it gives me, and the higher-level patterns and insights about my happiness and life satisfaction. If there's an option that frees me from the tedium of inputing line items and lets me skip directly to "are these choices benefiting me?", then I'm a happy gal. That's what Mint does for me in my financial life, and potentially what this new tool can do for me in my food life.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2023, 04:03:16 PM by Lady SA »

Frznrth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2023, 02:43:36 PM »
I also like intermittent fasting (fasting 16 hours) most every day.  I find this makes it fairly easy to maintain my weight and if I watch what I eat fairly easy to lose a plains or so a week. 
Which for being a shorter middle aged man keeps me and my doc happy enough.

Mariposa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2023, 06:59:59 PM »
My health stats are pretty similar to yours (but with a BMI that keeps inching over 25 the last few years, while I fight it back down), and knowing some of the similarities of our lives, we probably shouldn't discount the stress/blood sugar connection.

I hate nothing more than my doc telling me I should try to be less stressed, so I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that sometimes you can do everything right and it still won't work the way it is supposed to due to outside stressors.

I know you said you can't keep exercise equipment in your home, and you are probably using all of your space efficiently - but any chance you can fit a rebounder trampoline somewhere? I've been using mine pretty regularly for a couple of years now and I'm able to stash it behind a corner chair when I need to put it away.

Thanks for this, @StarBright . I can change the type of exercise I'm doing, I can lose 10lbs, etc, but the external stressors aren't changed all that easily.

And I don't even feel all that stressed most of the time (though there are moments of acute stress!). Maybe it just comes out in not sleeping all that well; there's also a connection between sleep and blood sugar. (And I'm not taking naps, not drinking caffeine later in the day, exercising, recently got blackout shades, doing all the therapy, etc.)

I only spend 15mins with my doc every 1-2 years. She flagged my latest result & wrote me a quick message to lose weight;)

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: April 03, 2023, 08:33:59 AM »
This is the solution.

260->248 6ft tall male.
nice work!

My strategy is to do it right when I wake up and am not fully awake yet. This trick has me starting before I can realize what I'm doing, by the time I realize it I don't want to stop because, objects in motion and such.

Both my wife and I are on MJ (trizepitide) now.  We are using it to jump start yet another big push at prioritizing health/fitness, along with all of the other changes one would recommend (diet, fasting, exercise). Most health numbers are right on the border, so it is time to do something. So far so good.

I view it as a tool - and it is an incredible one at that.  I've had no side effects, endless energy and have already lost 7 lbs.  My wife is not as lucky - losing weight, but is suffering from nausea. 

The appetite suppression / satiety is a game-changer for the field.  This is going to be big.  I will be moving some funds to invest in companies in this space.

Navigating insurance has been a nightmare.  We are both paying the cash price.  $1051/mo per person.  Using the coupon could bring it down to $551/mo, but the coupon goes away in June, and requires one to self-attest to T2D dx.  No chance to find this magical "old" coupon that folks are using to get it for $25/mo.

Stock is another problem - hard to find places with this in stock and available.  You can only use this coupon every 23 days, so one cannot plan ahead.

While we can afford the $2100/mo expense if needed, it's beyond cost prohibitive for most.  This is one concern I've always had for later in life during FIRE.  How can one plan ahead for spending $2-4k/mo on some medication that is not covered, that is deemed useful/necessary. 
You need to basically overshoot your budget by 2-3x to have such flexibility. 

Guess I will just continue to OMY :-)

You can get compounded tirzepatide for 300-400/mo. I am also looking into just buying it from the source as a raw powder. I know at least one supplier will sell 10x 10mg vials for $450. That's quite a lot of this drug, especially if your under the 10mg dosage. Looking at $22.50 a week for the 5mg level ($90ish per month).

Access will expand over time, and quite a few companies have a version in the works. Prices won't stay this elevated for long, even at the "name brand" level.

Weight Update while I am typing: Only half way through W4, so it's really W3.5 right now. Hit 246. Down another 2.4lbs so far. Final weigh in isn't for another 4-5 days for W4 or Month1.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #199 on: April 03, 2023, 09:47:07 AM »
You can get compounded tirzepatide for 300-400/mo. I am also looking into just buying it from the source as a raw powder. I know at least one supplier will sell 10x 10mg vials for $450. That's quite a lot of this drug, especially if your under the 10mg dosage. Looking at $22.50 a week for the 5mg level ($90ish per month).

Access will expand over time, and quite a few companies have a version in the works. Prices won't stay this elevated for long, even at the "name brand" level.

Weight Update while I am typing: Only half way through W4, so it's really W3.5 right now. Hit 246. Down another 2.4lbs so far. Final weigh in isn't for another 4-5 days for W4 or Month1.

Yeah I've been reading about that a bit.  The world of peptides (mainly sourced from China) has me a bit cautious.  What I think I will do instead (and others are doing) is to buy the Eli 15mg pens at the cash price (w/ or w/o coupon) and then reconstitute/dilute down to the dose I need, using BAC water. 

Using the new coupon, and taking a 5mg dose, that makes a 15mg pen Rx $1051-$500=$551.  Then you can get 3 months of drug, for 183/mo.  And no worry about purity/origin.  If you are on 2.5mg does, its 6 months per 15mg fill. 

I assume come June, they will either offer a new coupon, or the obesity indication will be approved and a new brand drug will be launched, along with a new coupon.  For those first few months, they coupon will have to be attractive since no insurance company will have it on their formulary yet. 

Day 10 for me on 2.5mg dose, -8.9lbs.  No "food noise".  Have been eating very healthy.  Exercising daily.  No temptation to "binge".   RBG / BP are all improving.
Planning to stay on 2.5mg - 5mg for as long as I can.  Buying a used lifefitness elliptical today :)