Author Topic: How do you keep your hardwoods clean?  (Read 4056 times)

Del Griffith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How do you keep your hardwoods clean?
« on: March 14, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
Apologies if this is a repeat question but I came up empty handed after a quick search. We are moving into our new home soon and have hardwood floors throughout. They are old oak floors that we are having sanded and refinished, so I'd rather not mess them up immediately upon cleaning. On the third floor, we had new oak floors installed.

What works for you? Any product recommendations (or warnings)?

Friar

• Stubble
Re: How do you keep your hardwoods clean?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »
I generally wash it in the shower when soft.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 02:48:03 PM »
If the oak is not properly sealed, then until you get it refinished, you should not put ANY water on it.

I used to use a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and vegetable oil in a spray bottle. You have to shake it constantly, of course, and it smells terrible (like gross salad dressing), but it does the trick and the oil will offer some protection until refinishing time.

I have no experience with properly sealed oak so will let others weigh in on the new ones.

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:53:03 PM »
Vacuum/sweep regularly/daily to keep dust bunnies and crunchy stuff to a minimum. Spot clean with water and microfiber for spills or spots. I will occasionally use Murphy oil soap with a microfiber mop and follow with cotton towel to dry when I'm doing the entire floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »

I laughed

Del Griffith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »
We use a mixture of 50% Windex 50% water.  This was recommended by a flooring professional and has worked well for many years.

Is there a special mop you use with this mixture? Like some sort of microfiber Bona mop? Do you spray this from a spray bottle directly onto the floor or have a good old fashioned bucket you dunk a mop into?

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 03:56:44 PM »
For my (sealed) hardwood floors, I've used an oil-and-vinegar mix but it ended up really sticky.

Like Papa Bear said, keeping the dust/gunk down is pretty important. A few years ago for Christmas, we got a robot that's basically a motorized swiffer; no vacuum, just a dust/mop rag. We run that a few times a week on the "sweep" function, and about once a week on "mop". Mop is basically a damp rag with a few drops of dish soap.

In my experience, the most important part of keeping your floors looking nice is preventing scratches. So, no shoes in the house, and ESPECIALLY no high heels. Put those little felt pads on the bottom of EVERYTHING and make sure you keep them clear of dirt. (I have caused scratches because a small piece of dirt got wedged under a chair that I then scooted back.) If you have wheeled furniture (office chair?), switch out the wheels for wood-friendly ones.

Del Griffith

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 05:13:58 PM »
Sounds like keeping them swept is important -- will do. Thanks for all the input :)

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 06:58:15 AM »
We sweep daily with a microfiber pad- bona or whatever brand. Then I just spot clean as needed. Occasionally will damp mop the whole floor with diluted vinegar or a few drops of dish soap in water.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 07:00:51 AM »
Mine were in the kitchen. That's why the oil and vinegar--always had something to clean up. I didn't have to do that with the rest of the house.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »
We use a product called Bona.  You can buy a starter kit that contains a microfiber broom pad, a wet broom pad, and the solution.  Both pads are washable.  It's pricey but does a really nice job. 

We just had hardwood installed.  I was told do NOT use water on the floors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garion

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 11:27:57 AM »
I sweep and occasionally use a Shark steamer thing supposedly sanitizes the floors. I have been meaning to get a vacuum but haven't yet. We had our floors refinished before we moved in and got a polyethylene coating, as thick as they would go because we have pets. If your floors aren't well sealed or they are sealed with something else like wax, I don't think you are supposed to steam them.

chemistk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 10:39:09 AM »
We avoid washing until it's absolutely necessary, probably about once a month. Between washes, it's just sweeping and spot cleaning.

if I need to to a light wash, it's usually just vinegar+water. Occasionally I'll go for the Muphy's.

Easye418

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 11:03:10 AM »
I've heard that Bona should be the only thing used on the floor and it basically is a diluted Windex.  The key is that Bona drys very quickly so there won't be any lingering water on the wood.

I'll used Murphy's before on engineered hardwood and it did nice, but I feel it eventually removed the shine. 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 11:24:33 AM »
Honestly, we just vacuum. If something gets spilled/puked on we use some home made concoction the wife cooks up, but that is quite infrequent.  (I believe it is water, alcohol and a little essential oil for fragrance.)

We don't have kids, so that may be a factor.  But we have a crapton of animals (6 cats/2 dogs) that leave sand/hair everywhere.  We also don't have wood in our kitchen, which likely brings a mist of oils into the problem.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 11:33:53 AM »
Bamboo floors
Dry mop every day
Damp mop, straight water, 2-3 times/week

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 12:25:17 PM »
I use vinegar diluted one oz to 1/2 gallon and spray on with a spray bottle then use swifter mop.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »

I laughed

Yeah, I keep seeing this thread in my 'unread' list. Finally had to drop in to snicker.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2017, 07:14:04 PM »
I sweep and occasionally use a Shark steamer thing supposedly sanitizes the floors. I have been meaning to get a vacuum but haven't yet. We had our floors refinished before we moved in and got a polyethylene coating, as thick as they would go because we have pets. If your floors aren't well sealed or they are sealed with something else like wax, I don't think you are supposed to steam them.

I just vaccum or sweep up the gritty stuff. THen I steam clean them with a shark like thing every 2 weeks or so. I do the kitchen way more often because I spill way more often.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!