Author Topic: how do you keep on keeping on when you are just ready to be done  (Read 8125 times)

living small

• Stubble
Hi all, I am a long time lurker in these awesome forums and have appreciated the advice and information that all of you contribute.
I wanted to start a thread....now hear me out before calling me a complainy pants...to address what to do when you see the end in site, but you are just so, so, so done with your day job.

First off, I would like to say, that I am extremely lucky. I have worked hard to get to the place I am in my career and have an unbelievable amount of gratitude for the financial reward that it brings to me. I am very humbled by and thankful for those who have paved the way for me to accomplish what I have.

I am in a medical related profession. I paid off my student loans through frugal living and student loan repayment programs for people in my profession. I am well on my way to FI. My hubby is younger and, after the military, is just starting his career. We really only need for me to work 3-5 years more to meet our goals and beyond as my husband wants to work even if we are FI. 

Somewhere about 5 years onto my career, when you are past the green stage, I started to feel like I just didn't belong to this group...meaning, I wasn't a lot like many of the other folks who also are in this career. I also noticed that I would be exhausted after work to a degree that seemed wrong for a healthy person in my late 20's early 30's. over the years I have read books and done all of the healthy things and even have seen a therapist. Then one day, a friend ( who is in the people management world) mentioned something about me being an introvert. I was perplexed because I had never really thought about it. Then I vaguely remembered having to take a Meiers briggs personality test in college and realized that she was right. 

Why does this matter you ask? I realized that I am exhausted because to do my job, I have to play an extrovert for eight + hours per day.  This is simply wearing me down. Its really a great fit for me in every other aspect but this one.

So, what I am looking for, would be how to keep going for a few more years....how do you just hang in there? has anyone else had a similar experience?

These are some things that I have done already:
1. cut back my work to three days per week ( making the same amount as I would in 4-5, luckily)
2. try to have a little "hermit time" programmed into each day that i work
3. focus on the long term goals.
4. Using my expertise to potentially develop a product/llc (early stages)

like I said, I just need a little encouragement. I need to know there are a few people who are/were in the same boat. love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!

Chuck Ditallin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: how do you keep on keeping on when you are just ready to be done
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 01:24:32 PM »
Hi!

I am older, but in a similar boat; medically-related introvert who finds it exhausting to be an extrovert every working day.

Are you well? Are you definitively, medically well?

I think you've attempted all the immediately obvious things. I cut my hours down, which helped a little. I mentally redefined myself as a distance runner (my hobby), rather than a medical professional (job), which helped a little.

If you are close to FIRE, would a career change and coasting to early retirement help?

Good luck!

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 01:43:17 PM »
thanks for the support! it is nice to know that others like me exist!
I am quite well and thank you for your concern. I have done extensive medical testing in the past year and am happy to say that I am super great. In the middle of that process, I rediscovered this idea of personality. The clinical pharmacist that I worked with for my blood tests etc. told me that knowing that often saves people from therapy and/or further testing, lol. So I think that the exhaustion is from extroverting.

yes, a career shift is something that I am considering strongly.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 01:51:14 PM »
imo finding a career that matches your extrovert/introvert tendency is huge.

I'm a pretty definite INTJ. I find that I find much more enjoy my job when it matches my personality type. Might I make more pushing my extroverted side? Sure...

Are there ways to transition into a less extroverted way, perhaps teaching?

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 01:55:10 PM »
Even when I was in an introvert-friendly profession (software), sitting in a cubicle, seldom bothered by anyone, I found the exposure of "being at work" for 8 hours a day really exhausting.

I do deskwork twenty hours per week, now, which is about right for me. The other half of my work life is doing massage, which -- interestingly -- does not ding my "exposure quota" at all. In fact, the intense one-on-one interaction is more of an exposure antidote. I don't understand exactly how this works, but it definitely does.

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 02:21:13 PM »

imo finding a career that matches your extrovert/introvert tendency is huge.

I'm a pretty definite INTJ. I find that I find much more enjoy my job when it matches my personality type. Might I make more pushing my extroverted side? Sure...

Are there ways to transition into a less extroverted way, perhaps teaching?
Its true that matching a job to personality would have been a great thought prior to spending a crap ton of money on a few degrees, lol. hindsight is 20/20
I enjoy teaching, and think it would be a great transition/ post FI endeavor. I do have a speaking opportunity coming up and I am hoping that leads to other things.
Even when I was in an introvert-friendly profession (software), sitting in a cubicle, seldom bothered by anyone, I found the exposure of "being at work" for 8 hours a day really exhausting.

I do deskwork twenty hours per week, now, which is about right for me. The other half of my work life is doing massage, which -- interestingly -- does not ding my "exposure quota" at all. In fact, the intense one-on-one interaction is more of an exposure antidote. I don't understand exactly how this works, but it definitely does.
I think there is an element of being run down by simply being in a work environment too, I hadn't thought of that. 

koshtra

• Pencil Stache
    • Mole
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 02:35:06 PM »
I think there is an element of being run down by simply being in a work environment too, I hadn't thought of that.

Yes, I do in-home work, so it's totally interior, domestic spaces. Not the faintest idea why that would really matter -- but it matters a lot. (I think the touching unwires some of the social anxiety responses too? No control group in this experiment, though.)

MEJG

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 04:50:31 PM »
First off, I would like to say, that I am extremely lucky.
I am in a medical related profession. I paid off my student loans through frugal living and student loan repayment programs for people in my profession.

These are some things that I have done already:
1. cut back my work to three days per week ( making the same amount as I would in 4-5, luckily)
2. try to have a little "hermit time" programmed into each day that i work
3. focus on the long term goals.
4. Using my expertise to potentially develop a product/llc (early stages)

like I said, I just need a little encouragement. I need to know there are a few people who are/were in the same boat. love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!

It sounds like you're in a good place- just worn out.  Can you take an extended vacation/break to recharge and then come back to your same position?
Could you do some sort of relief 1099 work?  I know this is possible for some medical professions but not others.
 Then you can make your own schedule and take longer breaks away when you want/need.

Also consider cutting back 2 days a week form 3.  Then really you have a full work week "off" and only a weekend "on."  If you are making such good headway towards FIRE cutting back by one more day will probably not delay you by too much.

Is there another area of your profession that is not so people oriented? that you could shift to?

Good luck!

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »
For years I thought introversion was what made going to work so hard. But what I really don't like is people who are mean and people who are controlling/ make up nonsensical rules (which is most workplaces it seems).

What makes me tired:
1. Getting up and leaving my house before I am ready
2. Being jostled on the train to work
3. Dealing with nonsensical rules and tasks at work. I had to download 500 reports last week because the system isn't made to pull them all at once. (Oy)
4. The emotional labor of having to interact with people who are boring

Things that give me energy:
1. Giving drum lessons to my 6 year old neighbor
2. Choir practice
3. Concert band rehearsal
4. Performing on stage
5. My monthly book club group
6. A few days in nature, preferably with a group

So the issue isn't people themselves but the type of people.
I hang in there because I hate work so much, I want to do my best to make sure I never have to again. I also think about what I want in life. I have enough that I could sell everything and move to Thailand, but I would be unhappy there.

nexus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 03:14:29 PM »
Sounds like you need a vacation. Can you take a 2-3+ weeks off? A sabbatical to reset? Has it been a long time since you last got away?

Perhaps on your days off you can start doing the things that you're waiting to do when you're FInally free? Treat yo'self.

This may sound silly, but I pretend I'm FI even though I probably have 5 more years of career ahead of me.

"I don't have to go to work, I am choosing to go."
On weekends I wake up and think, "this is what Mondays will feel like someday."

Thinking about my number, goals, and timeline is mind numbing. AT this point, I know I have FU money and believe that I have leverage/power/freedom/flexibility in situations that cause non-MMM'ers stress. That thought is empowering and makes my days less stressful (I too, am an introvert). Call it delusional, but it has real and positive effects on the way I make decisions and interact with folks. And every day's distraction is another step towards honing Future Me's mindset.

Edit: Fixed typo, reworded stuff.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:18:03 PM by nexus »

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 03:39:18 PM »
One thing that helped me was going 100% remote...now I work from home.  Not sure if that's an option for you though.  Still a lot of stress, but less as I don't have to literally be in front of people giving presentations!  This used to cause me MAJOR anxiety to the point of feeling sick.  Nor do I get interrupted by people coming by my desk or have to have painful meetings that require a good deal of "chit chat" or "mingling" at the beginng and/or end which I've never been good at.  I don't have to try to focus when the person in the cube next to me is having an argument with their spouse over the phone or be frazzeled if my boss is upset and comes stomping over.

However, the grass is not always greener.  I actually have 0% interaction with people now and at times it actually sucks (a bit).

So, I don't have the answer.  But if you mention your Myers Briggs type (FYI, I'm INFP), might be helpful.

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 08:25:50 PM »
Sounds like you need a vacation. Can you take a 2-3+ weeks off? A sabbatical to reset? Has it been a long time since you last got away?

Perhaps on your days off you can start doing the things that you're waiting to do when you're FInally free? Treat yo'self.

This may sound silly, but I pretend I'm FI even though I probably have 5 more years of career ahead of me.

"I don't have to go to work, I am choosing to go."
On weekends I wake up and think, "this is what Mondays will feel like someday."

Thinking about my number, goals, and timeline is mind numbing. AT this point, I know I have FU money and believe that I have leverage/power/freedom/flexibility in situations that cause non-MMM'ers stress. That thought is empowering and makes my days less stressful (I too, am an introvert). Call it delusional, but it has real and positive effects on the way I make decisions and interact with folks. And every day's distraction is another step towards honing Future Me's mindset.

Yeah, I go through periods of time where I can pull this off- "I am choosing to go to work, I have FU money, I am practically FI!" For whatever reason (burnout?) it seems hard sometimes.

I totally agree that this can bolster your resolve.

I have done a long vacation in the past, and I think that I should do it again, it really does help. Actually,the thing I enjoy THE MOST in my career, is missions to help people who don't get care/disaster relief. Honestly, I think that is what I would do if I didn't have to earn money in my career.  I think that part of it it is actually a longing for adventure and general aversion to "the grind". Now that I have a kiddo in school, I feel a little less able to access that side of things. #momlife

I also think, as Crash Hamster mentioned (thank you) that the mental re-shuffle can help when it comes to self-definition. While I have DABBBLED in art, and have produced multiple interesting works, I have never consider myself an artist until very recently. I am realizing that self-definition can be a powerful thing.
One thing that helped me was going 100% remote...now I work from home.  Not sure if that's an option for you though.  Still a lot of stress, but less as I don't have to literally be in front of people giving presentations!  This used to cause me MAJOR anxiety to the point of feeling sick.  Nor do I get interrupted by people coming by my desk or have to have painful meetings that require a good deal of "chit chat" or "mingling" at the beginng and/or end which I've never been good at.  I don't have to try to focus when the person in the cube next to me is having an argument with their spouse over the phone or be frazzeled if my boss is upset and comes stomping over.

However, the grass is not always greener.  I actually have 0% interaction with people now and at times it actually sucks (a bit).

So, I don't have the answer.  But if you mention your Myers Briggs type (FYI, I'm INFP), might be helpful.

I am an INFJ- a wierdo who doesn't seem to fit into the strictly left-brained culture of the medical world ( I am too artsy), but when I hang out with the art people, I am way too nerdy.  While I value data, I am heavily weighted towards the intuitive end of the spectrum and sort of just assimilate information ( I don't often know how) sometimes without data, which makes it hard to talk to the left-brainers in my world.

Actually, I always joke around that I should have considered a job that I could do remotely. There may be some slim possibilities for that in my field, but its not a common thing.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 10:44:14 PM »
I feel like I could have written your post!

I'm also in a similar profession, about five years into my career. I also only need to work another couple years to be FI, whilst DH enjoys his work and has no plans to RE. I'm also a bit burned out by my day job and recently moved down to three days per week (from six days per week). Also an introvert, and have known that I'm an introverted since I was 13 or 14 years old. Fortunately, I only sometimes need to play an extrovert.

For the first few years, the financial aspects and the newness of the position and duties made my job interesting and exciting. However, I'm now getting to the point of needing new challenges. I hang in there by:

1. Cutting down to three days per week.
2. Transitioning to a teaching position part-time - this allows me to develop a new set of skills.
3. Hermit time is very important! There are days when the only thing I accomplish is knitting a pillow or baking cookies.
4. Updating my networth tracker every two weeks.
5. Learning more about investments to figure out ways to get to FI more quickly.
6. Not letting my job define me. I do this by developing other hobbies.
7. Checking in with a couple friends who are also in my profession -- we have our own little email support group.
8. Mentoring others. In most medical professions, you win some and you lose some. I'm not saying someone dies on you or anything -- it's just that sometimes people don't make as much progress as you would have liked them to make. Mentoring others gives me opportunities to hear more "winning" stories.

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 08:10:47 PM »
Hey, thanks for that! this is more of what I need to hear, I think having the support group is a good thing. I had a group of professional ladies that all got together for drinks etc every few months, but we relocated after my husband finished his commitment to the military. I am in the re-establishing phase of relationships. 

Oh, and for the record, I have actually been in the field for 13 years! I just noticed the burn out at about 5 years in, you know, after the exciting newness of adulting wore off, lol.

I love that you are embracing the days where you "only knit" etc. I think that many of us in the medical arena are skewed to the always "on" type A perfectionism and I know that this contributes to dissatisfaction. I know that I need to embrace the down time without feeling guilty.

On a side note, I started to write about my journey in blog form. I would love a constructive critique of content from another person who is coming from a similar background.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 03:22:33 AM »
@living small It’s gratifying to hear that others also start to feel the burn after five years or so. I thought I was the only one. I’d love to read your blog. ☺️

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 12:42:16 PM »
Hey there, Freedomin5 , I agree that it is important to know that there are others out there too!

I think that many of us in medicine don't talk about this stuff due to the potential that people will perceive us poorly. But burn out is a real thing, and there is actually a doc out there lecturing on the idea that doctor burnout is actually doctor abuse in many cases. Her name is Pamela Wible and she has some interesting things to say about it. I have spoken to her on the phone and feel that she is a pretty strong advocate for changing the culture of how we do things in medicine.

My blog, though not very polished and definitely needing TLC (bear with me) is www.goatrodeofinance.com
I am really just flying by the seat of my pants learning to blog, but as long as you can look past the cosmetics, I hope there is something interesting in there, lol

I plan to create an article on burnout. I would love to hear what others thoughts are on this topic.

Malkynn- very interesting point of view. It sounds like you enjoy a lot of aspects of what you are doing but that changing up the day-to-day was important to your personal satisfaction.  I am also pursuing ( with excitement and  joy) my various hobbies/potential side hustles. I realized that it only makes sense to keep working on something as long as it continues to bring you joy and satisfaction-wether its the main job or the side hustle.Perhaps the moments of joy and satisfaction are dwindling in normal practice life and making room for new things for me. Good luck on your endeavors!

Theadyn

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2018, 06:03:48 AM »
Another person here that can relate.  I was also in the medical field, and although I loved the work I did, it was emotionally exhausting.  An introvert having to play extrovert.  It wasn't the patients that drained me, it was the co-workers.  It helped some when I went to 5 days a week, to purely weekend double-shifts.  Then, I only had to be 'on' for 2 days out of the week, and I did that for years.

Now, though, am having to change careers (wrist injury, cannot do previous physical work), and am going for something still in the medical field but totally different.  Aiming to work completely remote, which will be heaven. 

Hang in there. 

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 04:34:39 PM »
Holy cow you guys!

Everyone is awesomely encouraging. I appreciate the willingness to share. Sometimes I feel that things in the current (medical model in the US) system will never change, but talking to others is a way to at least change things for ourselves.

I want to re-iterate, I am not feeling hopeless or depressed-I just know that I have a few years ahead and need to re-conceptualize a few things to make it in one piece.

I am glad to hear that others have found their way through. Thank you everyone for your insights and community.

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 05:18:46 AM »
Man does it feel good to read many are in a similar position. I'm a physical therapist myself and consider myself introverted. I'm 33 years old now and I've been working as a PT for 8 years now. I'm having a bit of a life crisis everyday now because I just feel I can't do this anymore. I don't want another PT job, I just want out of it. I'm putting on a mask every single day, trying to find solutions online, new education or related jobs I could do that do not involve such emotionally draining interaction with people. I really really wish I didn't feel this way. I'm well respected at my job and people seem to like me and my efforts. That's the hard thing! I want to help them, I care about them! I can't just put on a grumpy face and not give a shit. I give a shit and it's very very tiring. I need a new purpose and to feel satisfied about my every day life.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread and make it about my own problems. Just saying I can relate.

Chuck Ditallin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2018, 06:44:39 AM »
I give a shit and it's very very tiring.

Nailed it. I'd buy a t shirt with that on!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2018, 07:17:19 AM »
Oh boy, this hits home so hard.

I'm not in a medical professional at all, but in a huge work rut as I enter my 9th year at Megacorp. Things have been unstable and stressful at work for the past year and a half for me. I'm in sales so the future is always unknown, and compensation can dry up for long stretches without notice. I'm at the point where I have a nice chunk of FU $ but not FI $. There are layoffs and reductions in workforce based on performance very regularly. I daydream about getting laid off quite frequently.

Over the past few weeks I've been getting headhunted by numerous competitors and have mixed feelings about going into the same position at a different company. Part of me wants to keep going till I am FI, the other wants to say fuck it and quit, and only then figure out what to do afterwards.

living small

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 05:00:28 PM »
Part of me wants to keep going till I am FI, the other wants to say fuck it and quit, and only then figure out what to do afterwards.

I just want out of it. I'm putting on a mask every single day,

yes and yes. this. Its like the joy of whatever attracted us to the field is so often overshadowed by the drudgeries involved. The mask thing...I totally relate. I am essentially a highly medically trained improv actor somedays. I come home drained from that part.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread and make it about my own problems. Just saying I can relate.

Gosh no! thank you for sharing. I think it is totally important to have community. I take comfort in knowing that other people experience this.

Comar

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2019, 03:36:12 AM »
Just curious about your current situation living small. How have things worked out for you?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2019, 05:08:26 AM »
I have been working in IT for 20 years. I am not a complete introvert, because I like some social interaction, on myu conditions. But I need a lot of me-time as well.

One of the things that stressed me out in my previous jobs was my terrible train commute (long and unreliable) and having my working desk at the various customers, places all over the city. Therefore I made it a priority to remove that train commute and get a job at a fixed location. I managed to do that, working in the next village and being a normal employee instead of a consultant. I did take a pay cut. If I take the time for it, I can walk to work, 7 1/2 kms 1 way. That walk is partly through the forest and provides me with a nice amount of me-time.

Not having to catch a train anymore (that goes every half hour) also makes me more relaxed in the morning. I can now leave whenever I want. If I'm really early, I can walk. Otherwise I can drive. Needed to catch a train always gives stress. When I drive, I pass 2 grocery stores, so I can also shop on my way home.

I used to have an acceptable working place before we moved to a new building. Now I am sitting in a half-open landscape where I hear noise from others the hole time. I grow nuts here. We have gotten some good sound-blocking headphones which I am often wearing. The days that many co-workers are in other locations are the best working days.

It helps that my current job is half an hour shorter per day. But if I don't watch out for myself, I will get assigned to too many projects at work and can easily work a lot of overtime, like I did last year. Then I was really stressed out. Now I have warned by boss that I cannot do that anymore. And I've started working 80%. That last thing is just so great. We plan to FIRE somewhere within next year and we are almost there with our savings and saving 70-75% of our nett home pay. Therefore we thought we could afford to work 1 day a week less, both DH and I. So far it has improved our way of life a lot.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2019, 08:45:45 AM »
My blog, though not very polished and definitely needing TLC (bear with me) is www.goatrodeofinance.com
I am really just flying by the seat of my pants learning to blog, but as long as you can look past the cosmetics, I hope there is something interesting in there, lol
Link no worky.

Following along, because I remember how it felt. My story's more like 2B1S's because I was in sales. Just chiming in from six years post-FIRE to say the struggle is worth it in the end.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2019, 07:26:46 PM »
@Dicey, eerily this thread popped back up ~1 year after I responded to it.

My comment was from almost exactly 12 months ago......new employer.......even worse environment. Saying fuck it in ~4 months =P

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2019, 11:47:15 PM »
@Dicey, eerily this thread popped back up ~1 year after I responded to it.

My comment was from almost exactly 12 months ago......new employer.......even worse environment. Saying fuck it in ~4 months =P
Yeah, I remember and I also fully understand the feeling. Toward the end of my career, I hated my job so much, I made a paper chain with 90 loops. I promised myself I'd be gone by the time 90 working days had elapsed, no matter what. I festooned it around my (home) office and really looked forward to removing links. By the time they were gone, so was I.
I'm cheering you on all the way!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2019, 12:13:32 AM »
Yeah, I remember and I also fully understand the feeling. Toward the end of my career, I hated my job so much, I made a paper chain with 90 loops. I promised myself I'd be gone by the time 90 working days had elapsed, no matter what. I festooned it around my (home) office and really looked forward to removing links. By the time they were gone, so was I.

I don't know exactly which date we will FIRE, because we need to sell our home in the process. But I am currently very motivated in improving the house for sale. Tonight I will paint room number 2 and there is one more room to go. We already had the big bucket of paint, so it is just a matter of getting it done. That will be my way of preparing for FIRE, instead of waiting passively for the sales date.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2019, 12:15:39 AM »

I don't know exactly which date we will FIRE, because we need to sell our home in the process. But I am currently very motivated in improving the house for sale. Tonight I will paint room number 2 and there is one more room to go. We already had the big bucket of paint, so it is just a matter of getting it done. That will be my way of preparing for FIRE, instead of waiting passively for the sales date.
Sounds like an excellent plan of action!