Author Topic: HELP - Dad Buying a New Truck - TIPS on How to Do This Best  (Read 2504 times)

jeff2017

• Stubble
HELP - Dad Buying a New Truck - TIPS on How to Do This Best
« on: September 18, 2018, 09:02:17 AM »
My Father is set in his ways and has ALWAYS bought new cars, the only positive is he always does keep them 10+ years. He is retired and FI.

He decided he wants to buy a 2018 F150, with all the towing options, the MSRP is $52K, after various promotions, it's showing up as $42K. He has always went to the same dealer which is the biggest in town (large metro area).

He has made his mind up that he will be buying the truck, so there is no changing that, it's just a matter of when, which it sounds like will be in the next day or so. Since I've never bought a new car, I'm curious what the best strategy is to ensure he is getting the best deal.

I have all the specs in front of me and plan to call some of the other dealers, provide them with the specs, and ask them to provide a pricing model.

Based on some quick Googling it appears October is a good month to buy as they are moving next years models onto their lot.

Any tips?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 09:25:09 AM by jeff2017 »

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
Re: HELP - Dad Buying a New Truck - TIPS on How to Do This Best
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 10:14:11 AM »
I wouldn't get yourself involved in it.  It's his money, he's FI, and this is just something that makes him happy.
If he likes that car dealership, let him buy it there.   All decisions do not have to be based on what is the best deal out there.

Lulee

• Bristles
  • "We'll jump off that bridge when we come to it."
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 10:21:40 AM »
Getting competing quotes is a good idea.  So would be checking TrueCar, Edmunds, Kelley Blue Book, etc. to see what prices in your area are really like.  For us in the south western corner of NH, going north or over the border to Vermont can sometimes give us better pricing so check further afield to ensure the local big guy really is your best bet (they may get volume discounts but has way larger overhead than smaller dealerships).

Some dealerships give the best price, prior to face to face negotiating, to their online customers.  While there is a bit of a push to clear off 2018 models before the new ones come in, he might actually be in a better bargaining position simply by choosing the end of September to buy --- it's the end of the month and end of a quarter where dealerships and salespeople are somewhat more incentivized to close deals to help hit targets for bonuses.  If he's bought with them before, he should get a discount as a returning dealership customer and possibly the same from Ford if he's staying with their products.

If he's trading in his old vehicle, make sure you know it's worth so he gets a good deal on that end of it.  And even though he might not need it, run the numbers to see about financing if he qualifies for 0% financing which might get him some other discount as well (just be sure to note if there's penalties for paying it off early and any other gotchas).  Least likely, but if he hems and haws while talking with the sales guy because of the recent safety recall, maybe a nervous salesperson will take a little more off to calm Dad's supposed nerves.

Best of luck.

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 12:51:44 PM »
Not your circus, not your monkey.

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2018, 01:08:44 PM »
I wouldn't get yourself involved in it.  It's his money, he's FI, and this is just something that makes him happy.
If he likes that car dealership, let him buy it there.   All decisions do not have to be based on what is the best deal out there.

+1

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 02:49:23 PM »
Did he ask for your help?

If no, stop reading, and mind your own business.

If yes, then just go to all the dealerships in his metro area, send them all an email from a throwaway email (they'll send you a ton forever), asking for their best offer on an F150, whatever trim level, whatever color. Then, once all the offers have rolled in, send them all a followup trying to beat the best offer. Go with whoever wins at the end of the day.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 03:52:17 PM »
Check out Costco's site too. It's always worth pricing something just to see what kind of deals are out there.

https://www.costcoauto.com/new_cars/buildvehicle.aspx?trimid=393902

jeff2017

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 03:54:44 PM »
I would echo the comments on this not being my circus.

He brought the topic up to me when it was at idea phase and again over the weekend and he has decided to move forward. I think he likes to run these things past me just to hear my thoughts.

I spoke to another dealer and looked at TrueCar (shouldn't have provided my phone number, I've got like 5 Voicemails this afternoon).

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 04:48:49 PM »
One thing I've heard if he's going to the dealer is to go at the end of the month with the hope of finding a dealer looking for a quick sale to make his or her quota.

frugalfoothills

• Bristles
    • Bulls, Bears and Beers
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 11:12:52 AM »
Agree with the others -- his money, he can do what he wants. Unless he explicitly asked for your help w/shopping and price comparisons, I'd remove myself and congratulate him on purchasing his dream car. He is RE and FI, so I don't see the harm.

My dad retired 2 years ago and bought a brand new $100K Lexus. Yeah... you read that right. He worked hard his whole life, saved, paid off their home, and he can reap the rewards however he chooses... even if that's not what I'd personally spend $100K on :) I swooned all over it and congratulated him, even if privately I do think he's nuts.

jeff2017

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »
Update: Truck was bought last night. Will be going to check it out in person tonight.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 09:33:46 PM »
He is retired and FI.

Then, presumably, he knows what he's doing with his money and has worked out that he can afford it.

Hopefully he's getting the EcoBoost motor.  I've driven a 2018 with the big gasser and the auto-stop, and it was quite bad, IMO.  I love the EcoBoost F150s as rentals - they drive like a good sized turbodiesel down low, then sort of go psychotic at 3500 RPM and pull like a turbocharged sports car engine.  I've never driven anything else quite like it.

I've yet to be convinced to trade up from my '97 F350, though.  That's my "I need a truck" vehicle, I put quite few miles on it, but the answer to "Can it..." is pretty much, "Yup."  Pots about my property quite nicely in 4-Lo, hauls a ton or two of rocks at a time up and out, hauls a good sized stack of plywood or drywall, tows just about anything... can't complain.  Not a daily driver, though, but the newer ones are surprisingly good on gas for a truck.