Author Topic: How do you find healthy inexpensive hobbies?  (Read 13254 times)

tj

• Handlebar Stache
How do you find healthy inexpensive hobbies?
« on: June 14, 2015, 08:49:33 PM »
I think the major stumbling block in me going from what i feel like is a "normal" saving rate (say 20%, 30%??) to ramping up to saving more than I spend is that I have no idea what I would do with all of the extra time.

Right now, I roughly work M-F 7:30 - 3:30. My free time is basically spent putzing around on the internet, watching sports, dating, going to the gym, and going out to eat.

I also like to play social sports, such as adult kickball. I'd say I spend about $600/year on this activity for 2 nights a week for the whole year, which is kind of a lot of $, but also my ONLY social outlet, so $6/night is not really that bad compared to what others may spend on recreation.  I enjoy the competitiveness and the physical activity of these types of sports, as well as the social aspect of going to the bar after, but I have no interest in getting drunk regularly and dropping triple digits at the bar every week like some of these people do. (I've actually never spent that much at a bar). I meet lots of cool people in kickball, but these types of friendships don't really go past the surface - I see them at kickball related activities, but that's about it.

I guess I look at how I spend my time off and think "if this is how I'm going to spend my free time, then I don't really see the point in trying to speed up the retirement timetable."

I recently turned 30 and I am very much an introvert. I have done extended travel a couple of times in in my mid-to-late 20s, but both times, I was ready to come home and get back into a routine. 6 months of unemployment drove me absolutely bonkers with nothing to do.

I also am weird in that I refuse to justify most fun money if I am alone. If friends want to go to a movie or out to the bar, no problem, 'll go and I'll spend some money. If it's just me, I figure I can occupy myself at home for free with TV or the internet or whatever. Over the years, friends have gotten married, grown apart, and more time has been spent alone.

Obviously the idea of financial independence sounds great, the freedom of doing whatever I want whenever I want is great, but I enjoy having structure and a routine and I feel like the stuff that drives me crazy about my job would probably still drive me crazy if I spent my time volunteering somewhere without pay instead.

Has anyone gone through this phase in life and have any tips to share to cope and overcome?

Kiwi Mustache

• Stubble
Re: How do you find healthy inexpensive hobbies?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:28:28 PM »
Just because you can retire early doesn't mean you have to.

I will definitely continue to work. Just allows me to work lower paying jobs that I might enjoy more.

vagon

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 12:21:34 AM »
I guess I look at how I spend my time off and think "if this is how I'm going to spend my free time, then I don't really see the point in trying to speed up the retirement timetable."

Right here you have let work be your primary meaning for living. That's not necessarily a bad thing, except for...

I feel like the stuff that drives me crazy about my job would probably still drive me crazy if I spent my time volunteering somewhere without pay instead.

Your work drives you crazy and so would volunteering.

So what does motivate you? You need to find an answer to that question if you want to find a meaningful alternative to the work default.

Has anyone gone through this phase in life and have any tips to share to cope and overcome?

I was going to finish without addressing this, but in the spirit of offering a solution, one thing that comes to mind is sports coaching. By combining your love of sports and routine with something you can excel in. It also encourages others to succeed and be healthy at the same time.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 12:41:35 AM »
Try thinking of FI not as the freedom to do whatever whenever you like, but allowing you to pursue your true calling.  What is your purpose in life? For me, I only have a partial answer to that question, but it sure as hell doesn't include being chained to a desk and "maximizing shareholder value".  And yet, at the moment, much of my life must accommodate or completely yield to that activity.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 01:01:24 AM »
The " what will I do with all that time" problem get to a lot of us just before retirement. I thought about what would be missing from my life when work disappeared. For me some of the answer was "challenge", some of the answer was "company" and "friendship". I thought about how to address that. Part of it was to join groups that did things I enjoy doing - different things - for me it included a native plant group, a walking group, a knitting group... I tried to join groups that were as different as possible, so that I was mixing with different people. My city puts out a list of all the different groups in the area and I looked through that (there are a lot of walking groups that meet weekly in different parts of the city, and are walking at different skill levels). The native plant group does weekend walks and Wednesday walks where everyone identifies the plants in the area and a report of the plants found is sent to the atlas of Australian flora, so it serves a multitude of purposes. The knitting group and the walking group are completely free, and the plant group costs about $50 a year.

"Challenge" could be met with a side gig or starting up a new business... it could also be working with scouts, lions or some other voluntary organization that builds stuff in your area.

Think about what you will be missing, and about how you can replace it. There are lot of resources around that will enable you to get what you want from where you are.

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 06:25:06 AM »
+1 on Coaching.

Coaching gives you a rewarding way to spend time, lets you get paid to pursue your hobby, and then you just put the surplus to becoming FI.

My sport is tennis, typically a very expensive sport to have as a hobby.  However, here's how the finances work out for me:

income:10K on average
-Boys team = 4800
-girls team = 4800
-private lessons = $45 cash/hour (I'm choosing not to do them this summer, but I can get 10/hours a week quickly if I want it in the summer, and likely more)
-balls - free, I have access to the school resources

expenses: $1000 on average
- shoes, clothes: about 200/year
- indoor court time: about 200/year
- random supplies I end up buying for kids because they would benefit: varies.  For example, I have kids who can't afford to train year round at a club, so I bought a ball machine, put it in a shed, put a combination lock on it, and gave the combo to trustworthy kids who can't match the other kid's finances. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 07:08:17 AM »
A lot of studies have shown that doing for others is a strong source of happiness. That doesn't have to mean traditional-type volunteering--you're probably right that if you're unhappy as an employee in a large company, the same things would irritate you about being a volunteer in a highly structured organization. It could be running your own business, but because you don't have to worry about money, you can provide good jobs with minimal BS for your employees. Or someday it could be being the kind of neighbor who shovels out the walk for the elderly people on the block and brings a meal to the family with someone in hospice care, because you don't have to work and have time.

So maybe, since nothing is occurring to you right now that would make YOU happy, think about what you could do to make someone else happy.

Nannooskeeska

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 07:18:47 AM »
Recently I've gotten really into disc golf. It gets me outside and walking around and I've already met some really cool people doing it.

Cost so far: $17 for a medium-range disc. One of my roommates has nearly 100 discs that he got in a water trap at a course in his hometown, so I use those most of the time. Eventually I will get some more discs, but for now I only use the one I bought, a long-range driver that I got from a random guy on the course (it's a long, but neat, story :)), and a putter from my roommate.

Unfortunately, I had knee surgery on June 5th so I haven't been able to go for a couple weeks, but you can bet that I'll be out there as soon as I can walk further than like 100 feet without discomfort :)

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 07:23:19 AM »
I played league volleyball for years. I also played in weekend tournaments. It is typically very inexpensive, especially if the league is run by a YMCA. The tournaments can run a little more, but you get an entire day of play. I would also recommend hiking. That can be very inexpensive as well.

Good luck. I wouldn't sweat the kickball too much. It's a good social game. You can save in other areas that won't affect your lifestyle, like finding ways to use less electricity, doing away with services, bringing your lunch to work if you don't already, and other things.

It's a big world out there. I'm sure if you give it some thought and figure out what motivates you, like others have suggested, you'll figure out what to do with your time.

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 07:36:44 AM »
Wow. I really relate to the OP.

I just moved to a new town, and I really didn't do much with my free time before I moved so I'm looking at trying things this time.

Knitting is on my list! My grandmother has offered to get me started with lessons and beginner supplies as part of my Christmas gift (last year but we're going to have Christmas in July.)

I'm at a loss for what else. I played rugby and would love to continue but I bruise really easily and it's tough in a professional setting to explain black eyes.

ragesinggoddess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 07:43:19 AM »
Any of Trent Hamm's posts on this subject might help you.

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Athesimpledollar.com+hobbies&oq=site%3Athesimpledollar.com+hobbies&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.6875j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

My cheap hobbies:
- hiking/biking. You can spend a lot but you don't have to.
- knitting. It's not free, but you create something of value and it's great for your mental health. You also get a ton of knitting time out of every dollar that you spend unless you use huge yarn.
- guitar. I bought a guitar and I spent $6 on an app to help me learn to play. That's it and it's really satisfying.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 08:25:14 AM »
These are mine, some require 'some' cost... I'm 36, 2 kids... so my hobbies have really gone down time wise due to parenting, which is great as well.

1. Tennis.  Love this sport, even if you're a beginner... the cost aren't high (equipment, group lessons).  Best to find a friend who is at your level and try to improve together.  Check out meetup.com for tennis in your area.

2. Volleyball.  Indoor or Beach, both are great team games and you meet a variety of people (I meat my GF playing volleyball).  Beach volleyball cost next to nothing to play, indoor does require some gym cost and such... still very cheap.  As you get better enter tournaments with groups of friends, it's a blast.

3. Basketball.  Indoor or outdoor... leagues can be expensive so try local pickup at your community center.  Beside clothing and shoes... that's pretty much it. 

4. Camping.  Minimal cost of the areas are a short commute.  Less is more imho... don't go packing everything and the kitchen sink.  First time out... yes pack alot... as you get more resourceful, take less and less up.  Youtube has tons of advice on how to do certain things.

5. Fishing.  Sorta inline with Camping, but it can get REALLY expensive.  But it doesn't have to be.  You can pick up a combo spinning real set for under $100... buy a conservation license, and bike to your local dock.  It's a very relaxing hobby... not sure the health benefits :)

My other hobbies are renovation and (not so much nowadays) video games/movies.  Those can be expensive though.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 08:50:43 AM »
I joined a hiking club that offers all kinds of classes & day trips.  That was $40.
Also belong to a mountain biking club for trail riding.
I love the outdoors so its kayaking, biking, hiking for me.
I also geocache fwiw.  The app is free.
Pick up the a local community paper, ours has a calendar and tons of opportunities :)

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 08:58:26 AM »
- guitar. I bought a guitar and I spent $6 on an app to help me learn to play. That's it and it's really satisfying.

Which app? Would you recommend it?

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 10:13:13 AM »
I found cheap hobbies by trying anything that looked interesting that I could try on the cheap.  There is a definite evolutionary process. 

For example music:  I knew I wanted more music in my life but didn't know anything about it.  I started playing with a keyboard from Goodwill and assorted used books and free internet lessons.  Then my BIL gave me a very good but ancient electric piano that his daughter had used and I took a few lessons from a local music student.  Eventually, I concluded that it wasn't really for me.  So I spent a year and about $200 noodling around before I came to that conclusion.  Learned a lot and enjoyed myself but ultimately it wasn't exactly what I wanted. 

However, I was still interested in music so I bought a yard sale stereo system which I am gradually fixing up one bit at a time as I can do it cheaply and furnishing it with yard sale and thrift store tapes and CDs.  I find that I enjoy this a lot more.  Apparently refoaming speakers rings my chimes more than learning scales. I suspect I will be asking for a good soldering iron on my next birthday.   

So you can see that I started with a very vague idea of what I wanted and it took a couple of iterations before I got it right.  The trick is to do the iterations as cheaply as possible while you wait for the exact hobby that seizes you by the throat and won't let go.

Came back because I remembered something that might be useful.  If you are interested in anything that involves learning stuff try the Memrise.com site.  I am currently dipping a toe into Ancient Greek there and finding it moves at just my sluglike pace.  The Hub, who is much further along in the Russian Language Department than I am in Greek says it supports him as well.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 10:38:32 AM by 2ndTimer »

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
  • Eisen und Blut und Pfannkuchen
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 10:44:18 AM »
+1 on Coaching.

Coaching gives you a rewarding way to spend time, lets you get paid to pursue your hobby, and then you just put the surplus to becoming FI.

My sport is tennis, typically a very expensive sport to have as a hobby.  However, here's how the finances work out for me:

income:10K on average
-Boys team = 4800
-girls team = 4800
-private lessons = $45 cash/hour (I'm choosing not to do them this summer, but I can get 10/hours a week quickly if I want it in the summer, and likely more)
-balls - free, I have access to the school resources

expenses: $1000 on average
- shoes, clothes: about 200/year
- indoor court time: about 200/year
- random supplies I end up buying for kids because they would benefit: varies.  For example, I have kids who can't afford to train year round at a club, so I bought a ball machine, put it in a shed, put a combination lock on it, and gave the combo to trustworthy kids who can't match the other kid's finances.

How long have you been playing? I'm a 3.5/4.0 player, have coached kids in tennis at 2 jobs previously, and would love to coach as a way to make more money in the evenings. What are the general rungs for climbing the coaching ladder? Would love to be able to give private lessons, but I doubt I'm good enough to be 100% viable there.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 10:56:46 AM »
Kickball is great, I see no reason for you to stop, $50/month isn't a big deal.
One big motivation for a lot of people to retire, is that when you find that special person, you can spend more time with them, not have the stress from work cause issues with your relationship, and then raise a child without having to have a 2nd less important job getting in the way. So even if you haven't found that special person just yet, getting FI now will allow you to spend more time with them later, and give you more time to go and find that person.
Other hobbies you could consider
1. Coed Softball
2. Biking, both as a form of commuting, and on trails, Downhill or cross country trails.
3. Camping

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 12:16:43 PM »
OP, I can relate.  I recently decided to purchase a used instrument that I've always wanted to play - it didn't break the bank, and it will give me something to do that is more productive than my TV watching or reading about boxing.  One thing about musical instruments, you can always sell them if you decide its not for you.

Just my input, in case you are at all musically inclined.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 01:10:17 PM »
OP, I can relate.  I recently decided to purchase a used instrument that I've always wanted to play - it didn't break the bank, and it will give me something to do that is more productive than my TV watching or reading about boxing.  One thing about musical instruments, you can always sell them if you decide its not for you.

Just my input, in case you are at all musically inclined.

I actually grew up doing music. When i moved out of my parents, I had them donate my drum set and bass guitar. I still have a couple of guitars and a keyboard, but rarely play.

One big motivation for a lot of people to retire, is that when you find that special person, you can spend more time with them, not have the stress from work cause issues with your relationship, and then raise a child without having to have a 2nd less important job getting in the way. So even if you haven't found that special person just yet, getting FI now will allow you to spend more time with them later, and give you more time to go and find that person

I'm a very independent person and the idea of a codependent marriage with no outside buffers, such as a job, or a time-intensive hobby sounds quite scary.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:22:04 PM by tj »

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 08:35:10 AM »

I can't remember a time when I didn't have more stuff I was interested in doing than I had free time for.

Even when I am no longer working I will have to pick and choose because I simply have more awesome stuff I'd like to do than there will be time.

For healthy inexpensive hobbies you want:

1. stuff without motors
2. happens outdoors on public land
3. low equipment cost
4. social opportunities

Hiking is the most obvious option for most people that can walk reasonably well.

Biking is the next most obvious and it can be used for transportation as well as a hobby so you can amortize the higher equipment cost over more of your life.

Running is another although not everyone's body plays nice with that activity.

Fishing can be low cost and combined with hiking/biking.

Same with:

- Camping
- Photography
- Geo Caching
- Bird/wildlife/flower watching/collecting

Axecleaver

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 08:52:41 AM »
Look for hobbies that generate income rather than cost you money. A friend of mine retired at 35 and started a landscaping company because he loved to mow lawns. Now he gets to do that whenever he wants, and outsources when he generates too much work. Another friend raised cattle for beef, it's fun for him, he generates enough meat for his extended family and makes a few dollars on the extra heads. My daughter trades clothes using a few different websites, it works out to be revenue-neutral although she gets to rotate a lot of new clothes through her closet.

I've started getting back into vinyl records and classic video games. I go to garage sales and offer to buy whole  collections for pennies on the dollar. A lot of it ends up being worthless crap, and I throw out about half of what I buy in this fashion. But when you spend $10 on a box of 20-30 records and find one worth $25, you're doing just fine. I always make money doing it, not much, but something, and I get to expand my collections for my own enjoyment.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 10:07:43 AM »
Recently I've gotten really into disc golf. It gets me outside and walking around and I've already met some really cool people doing it.

Cost so far: $17 for a medium-range disc. One of my roommates has nearly 100 discs that he got in a water trap at a course in his hometown, so I use those most of the time. Eventually I will get some more discs, but for now I only use the one I bought, a long-range driver that I got from a random guy on the course (it's a long, but neat, story :)), and a putter from my roommate.

+1  to disc golf

Is this the same as frisbee golf, or something different? I'll have to check it out.

Nannooskeeska

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 10:13:16 AM »

+1  to disc golf

Is this the same as frisbee golf, or something different? I'll have to check it out.
As far as I know it's one and the same! Yes you should definitely check it out, it's tons of fun!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 11:01:44 AM »
Ultimate Frisbee is popular around here. It's basically free (as long as someone has cones and a disc), social, fun, and physically challenging.

Also board games/tabletop games can be a fun and cheap hobby, if you're looking for more social activities. In my city it's pretty easy to find meetups for this.

Cooking has become a hobby for me. I use the internet to look up new recipes and try to tackle cuisines that I am less familiar with (like Indian food... nom). It also directly benefits my FI goals, as cooking is way cheaper than eating out and typically much healthier.

If you're looking for ways to spend your free time that enrich the meaning of your life, then I don't really have any suggestions for you. I'm in a similar situation as a 20-something who hasn't found my "calling" or "purpose" yet. But I figure that I'll just save up as much as I can now, so that when I do find my passion, I have the financial means to pursue it.

Good luck!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 11:11:01 AM »

+1  to disc golf

As far as I know it's one and the same! Yes you should definitely check it out, it's tons of fun!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
You can usually pick up a disc for about $5 at Play-It-Again Sports.  It's also pretty easy to find discs on the course if you're willing to get dirty/wet.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 11:23:09 AM »
If you're looking for ways to spend your free time that enrich the meaning of your life, then I don't really have any suggestions for you. I'm in a similar situation as a 20-something who hasn't found my "calling" or "purpose" yet. But I figure that I'll just save up as much as I can now, so that when I do find my passion, I have the financial means to pursue it.

I agree. That's pretty much what I've been doing - I suppose I could save even more, but I don't feel all that compelled to do so.

zoltani

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 01:11:05 PM »
Most of my hobbies have high upfront costs, but very low costs after the initial investment. These include:

- Hiking
- Biking
- Camping
- Rock Climbing (highest upfront cost)
- Backpacking
- Bikepacking/Touring

Note that much of the equipment can be used for multiple activities.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 01:35:07 PM »
So, I decided I'm going to try the "Couch to 5K" and have registered for the Wipe Out Run later this fall. We'll see how that goes.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 01:43:03 PM »
Second on fishing.

Upstart costs can be high but only as high as you want. Also, it is possible to get addicted to gear (just ask me).

Fly-fishing probably provides a little bit more action in terms of activity level vs spinning/baitcasting/etc but it tends to be more expensive as well.

zoltani

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 01:55:40 PM »
Forgot about disc golf, it has been years since I've played. Just scoped out a course at a local ski resort on the side of a mountain that looks pretty sick. Gonna have to go used disc hunting soon...

chops

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2015, 02:06:51 PM »
There are a lot of good ideas here!

Hopefully I'll be able to come back here and use them someday (Bookmarking this post for that someday...currently digging out of a good sized mountain of school debt)

- Chops

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2015, 02:08:29 PM »
You guys may also want to check out Footgolf. You can use a soccer ball or kickball. Some golf courses around here have added the larger holes to their courses. It's fun.

Mrs.LC

• Stubble
    • Loose Change Living
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2015, 08:02:31 PM »
Look at the YMCA if you have one close by.  There are leagues for pickle ball, volleyball, paddle ball, etc. Many times the league prices are included in your monthly fee.  Great way to meet people.  Also try the group exercise classes.  Lots of insurance companies are reimbursing gym memberships as part of their wellness programs so this could be an extremely low cost option.   

nirvines88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2015, 08:07:28 PM »
Lots of people have suggested disc golf.  Here's a website use to find courses: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse_map.php?mode=map&szip=40502

Just change the zip in the URL to your zip code and you should (hopefully) be able to find some courses near you.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2015, 08:13:43 PM »
IMO The key to an inexpensive hobby is to be on the other side of the fence: make money with your hobby. If you like a type of sport, start a blog where you talk about it. Or become a teacher of that sport if you have the appropriate level. Or find a problem that people doing that sport are trying to solve, and build a side business around the solution (e.g. selling equipment,...).

Then all of a sudden, the more expensive the hobby is, the more money you actually make...

I hope this doesn't sound unrealistic, I think lots of mustachians have a side gig based on their hobby. I know I do.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2015, 08:31:52 PM »
IMO The key to an inexpensive hobby is to be on the other side of the fence: make money with your hobby. If you like a type of sport, start a blog where you talk about it. Or become a teacher of that sport if you have the appropriate level. Or find a problem that people doing that sport are trying to solve, and build a side business around the solution (e.g. selling equipment,...).

Then all of a sudden, the more expensive the hobby is, the more money you actually make...

I hope this doesn't sound unrealistic, I think lots of mustachians have a side gig based on their hobby. I know I do.

It might just be me, but I feel like that turns the hobby into a part time job. At the very least, it turns it into an obligation rather than something fun. I feel like I make "enough" from working, and the best way to increase income would be to focus on being more productive at work. Maybe I am just not as driven by $$$.

Hummer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2015, 09:45:12 PM »
I think the major stumbling block in me going from what i feel like is a "normal" saving rate (say 20%, 30%??) to ramping up to saving more than I spend is that I have no idea what I would do with all of the extra time.

Right now, I roughly work M-F 7:30 - 3:30. My free time is basically spent putzing around on the internet, watching sports, dating, going to the gym, and going out to eat.

I also like to play social sports, such as adult kickball. I'd say I spend about $600/year on this activity for 2 nights a week for the whole year, which is kind of a lot of $, but also my ONLY social outlet, so $6/night is not really that bad compared to what others may spend on recreation.  I enjoy the competitiveness and the physical activity of these types of sports, as well as the social aspect of going to the bar after, but I have no interest in getting drunk regularly and dropping triple digits at the bar every week like some of these people do. (I've actually never spent that much at a bar). I meet lots of cool people in kickball, but these types of friendships don't really go past the surface - I see them at kickball related activities, but that's about it.

I recently turned 30 and I am very much an introvert. I have done extended travel a couple of times in in my mid-to-late 20s, but both times, I was ready to come home and get back into a routine. 6 months of unemployment drove me absolutely bonkers with nothing to do.

I also am weird in that I refuse to justify most fun money if I am alone. If friends want to go to a movie or out to the bar, no problem, 'll go and I'll spend some money. If it's just me, I figure I can occupy myself at home for free with TV or the internet or whatever. Over the years, friends have gotten married, grown apart, and more time has been spent alone.

Obviously the idea of financial independence sounds great, the freedom of doing whatever I want whenever I want is great, but I enjoy having structure and a routine and I feel like the stuff that drives me crazy about my job would probably still drive me crazy if I spent my time volunteering somewhere without pay instead.

Sometimes I currently feel this way. And I'm married. I just find too many hobbies cost too much money so I find myself doing more yard work and home upkeep although I usually spend a little there too.

I explored the idea of kayaking. It looked great and my brother had one. But it's $1000 to get a decent kayak, I also need one for my wife and I would have to get a roof rack for my little car... Even hiking would cost an investment of $50 in gas every weekend to get to the trail head locations. Along with decent boots for both of us. It just seems to never end. I'm kind of in limbo not sure which hobby path we should go down.

And I'm the sort of person who is not passionate about a lot of things. I do one thing, shrug, do another, not bad, but not awesome so I don't like spending money on hobbies when there is no guarantee I will like it.

Treesworth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2015, 10:36:26 PM »
Couch to 5k is a great idea. It is gentle enough to get a feel for running and avoid injury.

I play rugby too, someone mentioned it above, I started a new job this year and came in in the first month with a broken nose and 2 black eyes. Everyone at the office just laughed at me, and it was actually a great talking point with clients. The connections I have through the sport have also been great professionally. +1 for sport.

More time to run and lift when I'm FI will be fantastic.