Author Topic: How do you find a truly tiny apartment?  (Read 2952 times)

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
How do you find a truly tiny apartment?
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:49:29 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4FoAr8i26g

I'm legitimately jealous of this guy who lives in a 78 square foot apartment.  I want to move downtown in my city, I have 11 months to find a place, but I don't even know how to start finding quirky micro pads like this.  I would expect that these exist in the Downtown Orlando area but all I can find advertised are the sprawling condo or apartment communities. 

If you live in a micro pad, how did you find it?  Where does one begin his/her search?

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
Re: How do you find a truly tiny apartment?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »
I think that places like that are extremely rare.  I have seen that video before, and the thread that it was being discussed in had references to all of the municipal laws that prevent such places from being built (new).  For instance, in NYC, I believe that any new apartment (or renovation) but be 375 or 400 sqft minimum.  It is a shame, though. I think "dorm" style living like that could be pretty popular in a lot of urban areas.

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »
Well, honestly it depends on the city. Tiny apartments like that are relatively common where I live in Seattle, and new ones are popping up all over the place. I don't know what the housing situation is there, but here they are so common because rents & house prices are shooting skyhigh.

My place isn't quite that small, it is around 300 sqft, but I found it just by checking out craigslist and trolling apt hunting sites.

pom

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 11:21:02 AM »
In France there are plenty but the law is that you can't rent it out unless it is at a minimum 97 sqf.

If you buy it for yourself though, it can be even smaller, here is one:

http://www.seloger.com/annonces/achat/appartement/paris-1er-75/les-halles/88915883.htm

These used to be maid-rooms so many don't even have a toilet, they share a common toilet with 2 or 3 other apartments.

carozy

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »
I found my first room with good ol' Craigslist.  I just searched by price and looked at only the cheapest rooms.  Sometimes if you're in a room-share situation, you can get a small room when someone else moves out.  The roommates who are currently living there get first dibs.