Author Topic: How do you deal with the off days?  (Read 6874 times)

weetziebat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How do you deal with the off days?
« on: April 27, 2016, 10:41:58 AM »
Hi everyone, I'm new here :) I'm wondering how you all deal with your off days - days when you're extra tired and stressed from work, when you're sick, or sad, or whatever. Especially I'm asking about sickness. You see, badassity is great and really comes naturally to me when I'm feeling well. I've been riding my bike all over town, cooking delicious and cheap meals and bringing lunch to work, and generally "doing the thing" lately, and it's made me feel really great.

Except today, I woke up feeling downright shitty. Cough, headache, sneezes, the whole shebang - and I can't take a sick day so here I am at work. Couldn't ride the bike because of feeling so shitty, took the train. Ok, fine, a little money spent. But now I realize that what I am naturally inclined to do is spend money on myself to make myself feel better. Buy my favorite lunch, get a fancy cup of coffee, etc. How do you take care of yourself when you're not up for really being a badass, but you still don't want to spend money unnecessarily? Help a beginner Mustachian please!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
Re: How do you deal with the off days?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 10:49:37 AM »
Ask yourself if it will actually make you feel better. It's perfectly okay to give yourself some grace to get through the bona fide rough days. It's not okay to buy new shoes or a new car, but small comforts to get you back to normal are not unreasonable, IMO.

Once you feel better batch cook and freeze meals and treats for future use.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 11:02:58 AM »
Feeling sick truly sucks, and you have my condolences.  Wishing you a speedy recovery.  It doubly sucks when you have to work anyway.
For today, you might consider getting something and not stressing about it.
However, the chances of having a day like this again are pretty good, so start planning now for the next time.

I keep a small stash of things in my desk for those days when things suck, and I want something, anything, to lift my mood:

EmergenC packets (great hot or cold)
Tea bags
Bouillon cubes
A couple packs of truly wonderful instant coffee
A can of Dr Pepper
Dried fruit/nuts

No chocolate, because I don't want to keep things that are too tempting when I am feeling okay.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 11:11:03 AM »
I'm sorry to sound like a bit of a bitch here, but do you realize there are people on this forum (and likely all around you) who deal with major illness and disability on a daily basis? And you're feeling sorry for yourself because of what is probably a cold? Get a grip. I mean, I do hope you feel better soon, but come on, put on your big girl panties (or your guy's equivalent if you're of the male persuasion) and get on with it.

weetziebat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 11:12:58 AM »
Ask yourself if it will actually make you feel better.

This is a great question to ask myself, thank you.

However, the chances of having a day like this again are pretty good, so start planning now for the next time.

More great advice here - I'll start a stash today. The bouillon cubes are an especially good idea, I can't imagine anything better than something hot and tasty right now. Thanks!

weetziebat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 11:17:21 AM »
I'm sorry to sound like a bit of a bitch here, but do you realize there are people on this forum (and likely all around you) who deal with major illness and disability on a daily basis?

Sorry to offend. It is always good to remember that while I feel down, there are others who are having a much rougher time.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 11:24:19 AM »
I'm sorry to sound like a bit of a bitch here, but do you realize there are people on this forum (and likely all around you) who deal with major illness and disability on a daily basis?

Sorry to offend. It is always good to remember that while I feel down, there are others who are having a much rougher time.

And I'm sorry to have been a bitch. Honest. Rough week.  My problem, not yours. :(

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 11:34:36 AM »
Good beer :)

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 11:35:01 AM »
I don't worry about the small things.  Life is constant suffering and I will never give up things like my favorite coffee and my favorite burrito if I want them.  I also french press and cook but I do it because I make good coffee and cook good food - not just to save money. 

Don't be house poor and don't buy ridiculous cars - have a decent job and save at least 1/3 of your cash.  Worrying about anything else on top of that is overkill and will lead to feeling shitty about things you don't need to feel shitty about.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 11:44:53 AM »
Maybe its just me, but ever since I started getting serious about getting enough sleep, I stopped getting sick. Are you getting enough sleep? I already have my allocated treat days so I'm not tempted by a treat on a non treat day.

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 12:00:34 PM »
Spending money is usually just a pleasureable distraction, and your body is craving something to get its mind off the misery.  So distract yourself.  Now's the time for the crazy suck-you-in entertainment like videogames or Netflix, or even a thrilling book.  Sleep as much as possible, and take meds for your symptoms if you like.

As someone who struggles with a long-term illness, preparation is huge!  Agree with PPs-have a stash ready, freezer meals etc.  Take care of yourself in general-sleep enough, exercise, eat well, etc.  I used to get a lot of colds, especially living in the dorms in college, but am down to 1-2 colds/year (even with a small child who gets everything!) due to taking 5000mg vitamin C* most days.

Take care of yourself, and I hope you feel better soon! 

*Note: This is considered a megadose, much higher than the recommended daily value.  My husband and I have taken this for 4+ years with no issues after extensive research, but we're not doctors, and YMMV. 

Bettis

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 12:06:04 PM »
I agree with the work drawer stash.  The act of spending money won't make you feel better but making things a little easier for yourself likely will help.  Starbucks your thing?  Well, keep good instant coffee (yes it exists) and maybe add some other ingredients you don't typically put in coffee.  Treat it like a tasty dessert.  Tea, Emergen-C, etc are great because they can taste pretty good and help alleviate some symptoms.  You just have to find inexpensive ways to pamper yourself since the pampering is what you want, not the money escaping your wallet.

Oh yeah, the train.  That's acceptable if you're sick, just be wary of a slippery slope or else soon it'll be too cloudy to ride your bike or god forbid, a day that ends in Y! :).

sassymom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 12:20:38 PM »
I understand what you are saying...my problem on days like this is buying fast food/takeout because I don't feel up to cooking, not a huge deal if it is a day here or there, but if you get sick a lot, this can add up!

weetziebat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 12:34:53 PM »
So much good advice, thanks everyone.

You just have to find inexpensive ways to pamper yourself since the pampering is what you want, not the money escaping your wallet.

This especially! And thank you to Kaydedid and Mozar for the points about vitamins and getting enough sleep. I'm going to treat myself to some couch time after work this evening, with a library book I just checked out :)

AZDude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »
I can't take a sick day

Why? Probably not something to answer right now, but when you feel better ask yourself this question. Do you not have sick time as a benefit? Did you use it all, and if so was it worth coming in sick? Or is this something where you feel like you cannot use an employer provided benefit for whatever reason(boss gets mad, work builds up, you are an overachiever)?

When you are feeling good again, work to remedy the situation so that next time, you *can* stay home and get better(and not infect everyone else).

Nickels Dimes Quarters

• Stubble
    • Nickels, Dimes & Quarters ~ It All Adds Up
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 05:19:00 AM »
Miss Piggy really nailed it. What gets me through the occasional "off" day is knowing a few truths:

1. I have created a great life.
2. I can handle whatever comes my way.
3. There are many people who live daily with greater challenges than I will ever know/understand.
4. When I get discouraged, I read through my plan book: I can see my goals, the progress I've made and can see how close I am to ER.

I am generally an optimistic person. It takes a lot to get me down, but it happens. I work in a large, government agency that is continually trashed in the media, often for good reason. Some days, it is difficult to keep above it all and do the work. I make a decision each day to keep my head in the game and out of the pit.

The sick day issue is a good question. It's pretty useless going to work when you really need to be in bed resting. Focus on that piece and that could improve your outlook. I hope you are feeling better very soon.

NDQ

weetziebat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 10:25:49 AM »
Thanks NDQ for the wisdom. I'm generally really optimistic too, and it helps to see your list. We do have to remember that usually being healthy and only having some "off" days, and not ever being hungry except by choice, and sleeping under a roof every night are great privileges in the grand scheme of things.

Regarding the sick days (to respond to NDQ and AZDude), I do have sick days at my job, I just had a very important project that required my presence and was time-sensitive. (I got it done, so yay!) In general I can stay home without too much trouble when I am sick thanks to a relatively generous sick day policy and a very understanding manager.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »
1) I'm with mozar: sleep is fantastic. My favorite trick is when I just start feeling a little wonky I take a multivitamin or Emergen-C packet and get as much sleep as I can. I don't even care if the vitamins have a placebo effect; they call it an effect for a reason!
2) IMO, the best preparation for a sucky day is a significant other or good friend that will take care of you and be badass for two for a while. The second best is a stash of cash that can be used to purchase takeout won-ton soup, TheraFlu, pizza, etc.
3) Give yourself permission to do the bare minimum. Obviously this project couldn't wait, which sucks but that's life sometimes; but maybe you can postpone or cancel a routine meeting that's unrelated?
4) You are not obligated to feel better about feeling crummy just because someone else has it worse. Someone always has it worse. We're still allowed to be sad, angry, disappointed, discouraged, and sick in our own lives. You're allowed to have bad days, whether it's because you're congested and achy, nauseated, or just sending up anything you touch in flames that day (metaphorically speaking).