Author Topic: How do you deal with the 9-5?  (Read 5244 times)

reachfield

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
How do you deal with the 9-5?
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:02:39 AM »
I'm sure I'm not in a unique situation here.

I actually like my job, and enjoy what I do. But, I hate that 8 hours a day, 5 days a week need to be spent in my office (hence reading about early retirement).

It does help realizing I can be free in a couple years, but that's still a couple years of waking up early, going to work, coming home, eating dinner, and having about three free hours before bed, and it starts all over again.

Do you just suck it up and power through?

Brian Fellows

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: How do you deal with the 9-5?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:53:57 AM »
Short answer yes.

To me the most important thing in the world though is leaving your job AT your job.  Don't even think about work after hours.  I literally need to write myself a notepad file on my desktop every Friday afternoon, because I have no memory of what in the world I was doing when I come back in on Monday. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member

CestMoi

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:45:19 AM »
I've been sucking it up for years now. :) It's a challenge. I keep my eyes on the ultimate goal of eventually being the master (mistress?) of my own time.

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 09:55:24 AM »
I would do things to motivate myself.  Try to be better at my job, etc.  Also I had a countdown calendar & crossed off the months for a few years.  That really motivated me.  Also I would check to see how much bigger my pension was every year that I stayed. Find what keeps you going & then do it. 

ivyhedge

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 10:12:47 AM »
I would do things to motivate myself.  Try to be better at my job, etc.  Also I had a countdown calendar & crossed off the months for a few years.  That really motivated me.  Also I would check to see how much bigger my pension was every year that I stayed. Find what keeps you going & then do it.

^ Yes.
Also: mix it up by adjusting the commute on occasion (weekly or monthly?), change your lunch habits (make some challenging ones or add a few - ghasp! - extended lunches out with friends, colleagues during periods of nice weather late in the week), and engage some flexibility with projects at work (anything you'd like to add to your quiver that won't make you regret offering to help with <<x>>?

The obvious solution is to reduce the time you spend "at" work. Some positions (like many in DC) allow you to work a 9/80 schedule, wherein you spend a spot more time/day and then take off each other Friday (or Thursday, etc). Many firms in Boston, Philly, and Pitts offer at least one telecommute day/week. (Apologies for my city references; they're where my network is strongest.)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
You have to be careful not to wish away your life.

Good advice above. I WFH more. This allows me to use commuting time to exercise or enjoy a cup of tea while reading a book or even update my budget (which I enjoy) or line dry clothing. I enjoy all of those activities.

At work, you could develop relationships by grabbing tea/coffee with people. I know it costs money, yet I find it's worth it from time to time to see a coworker in another context. Who knows? They may become a friend down the line, and it may help your career until you FIRE. I also schedule walk/talk meetings in which we walk to get coffee while discussing what we need to talk about.

Of course, you have to do what works into your org's culture. The above might not be okay in some workplaces. It's not a problem at all where I work.

Meggslynn

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
I try not to think about it too much. I have an adorable two year old boy at home, so it would certainly depress me.

I do enjoy my job and the people I work with so I try to make the 8 to 430 as enjoyable as possible. Morning chats while sipping our delicious office coffee, lunchtime and afternoon walks with coworkers, etc. My jobs also pays for courses so I take advantage of that a lot to further my skills and abilities. I do receive about 6 weeks off per year (negotiated) so that helps a lot.

I actually enjoy routine a lot too. I had three weeks off recently and was finding myself looking forward to getting back into routine.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 01:35:40 PM »
I do a 9:30 to 7 instead :) Waking up early sucks.

little_owl

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 04:37:33 PM »
I do a 9:30 to 7 instead :) Waking up early sucks.

Gimp, we are exact opposites!  I try to be done by 4pm, 5 at the latest so I can have freedom nearly every evening.

But, in short, for the OP....yes, I tough it out.  I could explore a 4-day per week schedule, but my pay would be cut by 20%, which would push out FIRE...no way!  I also WFH which helps, and try to keep myself motivated by tracking things like budget cuts and FIRE status.

I have also started focusing on some other goals - home improvement projects and some upcoming travel - so that FIRE isn't my only big goal.  For the past 18 months it has been a bit all-consuming, and I need to do a better job of ensuring I am not just focusing on the long term to miss the short term.

But, yes, I do find it bananas that regular work hours are just "expected" to be 9-5, M-F....it is a total drain by the time I get to Friday!  I am convinced that if I had Wednesdays free each week, I would easily make up for it in gained productivity during the days I am in the office.  No way in hell can I raise to management though, or they would start to suspect I am not the "gunner" that I seem to be.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!