Author Topic: How do you deal with new job anxieties?  (Read 2895 times)

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
How do you deal with new job anxieties?
« on: August 28, 2016, 06:42:27 PM »
I'm fairly sure my anxieties are unfounded. I've been in my job for 2 months.  As in typing this, I see how silly it is. But it also makes me feel better to get it out. I'm your typical high achiever, feel the need to do it the best, like feedback, like to see progress. My new vp seems supportive and we meet twice per week. She's all business whereas I can be more casual.

I moved from a director role at the regional company to a director role at a multinational company. Huge scope by comparison now. I'm having a hard time with how much inner workings I don't understand. The company's structure and internal processes are incredibly convoluted. Two problems: A) it's hard for me to understand things when I can't visualize them and B) I now how an extra layer of mgmt between me and the ground, so I don't get really familiar with the inner workings. It's also a part of the business that is new to me, so it's not just unfamiliarity with the company I'm struggling with. I keep a list of questions based on emails and meetings and sometimes I don't even understand the explanations!

How do you adjust to moving up a level?  I was a confident leader of people and programs before. Now I'm stressed. And how do you gauge your own progress when you're in a structure that makes it difficult to measure?  It's a new role so we are all figuring it out.

The other half of my job, I feel very confident about. Even when facing turnover, a lot of staff and mgr coaching, and building s program from the ground up, I feel confident it can be done. It's actually less tangible and measurable, but Ive done it before.

Choices

• Pencil Stache
    • ChooseBetterLife
Re: How do you deal with new job anxieties?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 08:55:31 PM »
ETBen,
Hang in there. You're not alone. So many people fake it 'til they make it, which is what you have to do, and you're a step ahead in that you actually care. Good for you--this means you'll learn quickly and do great.

Is there someone you've met at work who would be a good mentor? Or someone you could take for coffee and pick his/her brain until you do understand the basic structure and processes?

As you're learning, a smile and kindness will take you far. Vent here all you like, but keep it smiles and thank yous at work.

Best of luck!

choppingwood

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:14:05 PM »
It just takes time to get your mind wrapped around it, especially if it is a part of the business that's new to you and it is a new part of the organization. Figuring it out is part of the job.

I would find a way to release stress, like regular exercise. I'd also make a point of being positive at work. Twice-weekly meetings with your VP is huge. It is not often people at your level get that kind of attention.

Enjoy it, instead of stressing. I love beginnings....

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 09:27:24 PM »
Ask the people one level down, and possibly your peers, as well, to show you their departments.   Ask them to meet you for coffee if that is not possible.... Tell them that you want to learn more about the company and what they do.  While there, show interest and ask users as you pass what the biggest challenge in their day / work week is.

Most people are happy to show you, if you are not critical of them.

Do not make this your boss's responsibility, all you need from her (him?) is approval to proceed.

WildJager

• Bristles
    • Can't complain.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 12:01:21 AM »
Good advice so far.  I take the philosophy that I don't care if I sound stupid.  At any moment, in front of anyone, I ask questions about anything I don't understand.  I seek advice aggressively.  I work in a life or death field, so being ignorant has massive consequences therefore most people don't play the "I have a secret" game.  I don't know how it works in the corporate world.  Regardless, I've found that most people like to be helpful if you're humble.  Ask questions and grow.  If you're not stressed, you're not growing!  Good luck.

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 07:31:22 AM »
Thanks all!  I set weekly meetings with my managers and part of that is to ask them to fill me in on various topics. There's always that difficulty, needing them to tell me how it all works. I remember being in their position and wondering why they hire leaders that don't know anything haha! 

I'm feeling conscious that the mgrs and team all probably expected I would be hired to come in and fix a lot of these obstacles for them. In reality I'm creating more work for them in things they don't see as important. Leadership and transition mgmt is my strong suit, but I'm feeling pretty self conscious.

There are also two other directors in my division. Both with a lot more experience in the business but a grade lower. The visible way, where I get an office and they don't. Neither could do my job, though. I manage a little more fluff and they have the real $, but we probably get any thanks. They're also really competitive.  So I put this pressure on myself to perform now and earn my keep.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 08:24:40 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with "old" job anxieties.  lol

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 09:06:49 AM »
I'm a peoen at a big company. It took a YEAR for me to get comfortable in the role, figure out the basics, the org chart (sorta), and there's are people who've been here for decades who are still learning.

It takes time.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!