Author Topic: How do you clean a down comforter?  (Read 2672 times)

puglogic

• Stubble
How do you clean a down comforter?
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:07:25 AM »
Over the years we've managed to collect 3-4 down comforters of decent quality, which really come in handy when we turn down the heat in the winter.

But they are all in desperate need of a freshing-up, cleaning up, refluffing, somehow.   Haven't really a clue.  On the web, there seems to be a debate about whether home washing actually works, and how much damage it does.

Has anyone done this?  Results?

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
Re: How do you clean a down comforter?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 08:39:08 AM »
I wash them in the washing machine and dry them in the dryer.  For feather bed toppers I use the Laundromat as my washer/dryer are too small.  I never dry clean them.  I was feather pillows this way too (not that often as they have protectors on them already).  http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Down-Comforter-at-Home
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:59:00 AM by totoro »

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 08:41:36 AM »
Yup.  Sure do.

First, buy these or something similar:  http://dynamic.focalprice.com/HJ881X/Washing_Laundry_Clothes_Wash_Dryer_Ball_Dryerball_2Pack.html?utm_source=CS&utm_medium=GM_US&utm_campaign=CS_GM_US_HJ881X&source=CS_PLA_US&gclid=COzFhfC_wr8CFQYoaQodkr4A0A

You can use a tennis ball, but I think the above are probably better. 

Preferably wash the comforter (by itself) in a front loading machine (not required) following the instructions if there are any.  If there are none, I would use cold or warm water (depends on how warm your warm is...).  Don't use a lot of soap.  Do not use bleach.  Probably skip the fabric softener.

Put the comforter in a large commercial dryer with the balls (you might want to visit the laundramat for this...don't know what kind of results you'll get with a standard home dryer...I live in a condo mid-rise so I have availability) by itself.  Maybe run it hot for a few minutes, then put it on medium for a while and monitor.  As it gets dryer, lower the heat...careful, don't cook it.  Mine usually takes about 45 mins.

I then let it air a couple of days by hanging it over a room divider to make sure all moisture is out, especially before putting it away for the summer.

I follow pretty much the same procedure for down jackets.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 09:05:43 AM »
Set out in bight UV sun helps some discolouration and freshens...

After many yrs, I finally took mine to the BIG machine at the laundramat.  I went to four different ones to find the largest, and used it for du vets and sleeping bags. Pillows too.

Nice to have large dryers to tumble them in.  Feathers never seem to dry all the way for me here.  I need full summer and 5 days of flipping them if I try outside. I think I used tennis balls or an old white running shoe.

Watch for your detergents.  Feathers are decomposable, organic, so use the online recommendations.  For synthetic, I used a combo of cascade, oxy clean powder, and detergent.  The covers were yellow and it really worked to whiten them, if environmentally unhappy overkill.

Yes it cost $10+ at the laundromat, plus detergents, but so worth it and I washed everything in a single morning.morning, with three mabhines running.