Author Topic: How do you ask someone if they're going to hire you?  (Read 3350 times)

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
How do you ask someone if they're going to hire you?
« on: September 20, 2014, 07:14:57 PM »
I have a tricky email to write and thought someone here might have had similar situations.

For two years I've worked an event in January under different employers (same event, different people running it).  I just got offered a gig with another organization I work with a lot with overlapping dates.  It might be more money overall but I'd have to request time off my regular job and the hourly rate is a lot lower.  So I'd rather have the first gig, but last year they didn't contact me until December.

So I want to write and ask if they're planning on hiring me.  It's probably too early for them to commit to anything and that's not what I want to ask for, but if they definitely don't want me, I'd love to know that. I want to ask in a way that isn't blatantly saying, 'I'm turning down other work for this,' because that carries a subtext of obligation.

Any thoughts on wording?  Or should I just not write at all?

Sarita

• Stubble
Re: How do you ask someone if they're going to hire you?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 08:33:39 PM »
HI-- it's fine to ask (I work in HR-- if you word it politely, and they are reasonable people, they shouldn't mind).

Dear (name),
 I hope this email finds you well.  I am writing to ask if it would be possible to share any early hiring plans for (X) event.  I really enjoyed working at the event the past two years, and would very much like to do so again.  I've just been asked, however, to work for another organization on a project that has overlapping dates.  I would very much understand if you have not yet confirmed your plans yet, but thought I would check in as the (X) event would be my first choice.

Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to provide.
Warm regards,
(You)

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 08:38:10 PM »
If I'm understanding everything correctly, I wouldn't write the email at all. Accept the second gig and when the first gig contacts you, ask them if they can accommodate your schedule.
I didn't understand your wording though. The first gig is a regular job, but you don't know if they will hire you until December, and they might not want you?
And if the first gig says no they won't accommodate you, does that mean they'll never hire you again?

I'm also very confrontation averse so I think Sarita'a way is fine too (since you are not me). My concern is that they may not be reasonable people, but you know that, not me.

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 08:48:21 PM »
I can't imagine any negative consequences from Sarita's email.  Well stated imo.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:33:20 AM »
That's a great email, Sarita, thank you!!  I'm kind of stressed out about it for some reason so my drafts sounded stressed too.  This is definitely more the right tone.

Mozar, yeah, was trying to keep it simple and might have been confusing.  The second job takes place over like 7 days, while the first job is 2 16-hour days, both of which overlap.  And they're both for live events and I'm just crew, so there's no schedule accommodation possible.

The second job, the 7-day one, is with a group I have a long relationship with and I'm already booked with them for four other jobs this year.  So there's no danger in turning them down. The first group, well, they're a touring group so they all work together a lot. They only kept me when the event changed hands from the year before because one of the artist's managers really liked me and insisted.  They did offer to put me on the call list for touring work, but I have a full-time job.  So, they like me, but since they normally work as a group and I was an exception last year, I suspect skipping a year would be the end of it. Plus, I wouldn't mind keeping up the touring work connection if something ever happened to my full-time job.