Author Topic: How do we minimize costs on razors (for women)?  (Read 10397 times)

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
How do we minimize costs on razors (for women)?
« on: July 11, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »
My daughter just PM'ed me: 

"Hey wowa* - i'm thinking of signing up for dollarshaveclub.com. It's a service that sends you razors each month for a low cost (i.e. 4 razors for $6/month instead of the ridiculous cost of my venus razors). It would save me around $10/month at least, but i'm not sure if it's a good idea to sign up for a monthly charge instead of buying them myself... what would wowa do?"

My knee-jerk initial advice: Avoid monthly sign-up services.  They may say they'll lock in savings, in end they lock you into giving them your $.

Then I found this article which points out that this service sells dorco razors.  I suggested she buy those in bulk. 
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/does-dollar-shave-really-save-1334930885394

But I'm hardly a razor expert.  Any razor aficionados out there?  Will you lay down some solid advice here?

*(My name is Laura, but when my other daughter was 3 she couldn't say Laura, she said 'wowa'.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:46:34 PM by Malaysia41 »

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
Re: Minimizing costs on razors?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 12:38:38 PM »
My roommate uses DSC, and I bought the Dorco 6-blade razors directly. I sent him the LifeHacker.com article explaining it all and laid out the numbers for him. He apparently can't read because he sent me a link to the DSC web site. Um.. anyway.. they work for me. I *hate* throwing out razors, so I've made each one last a couple months. (I also often only shave 1-2 times per week.) So my opinion is that buying them directly from Dorco is a solid choice. (Though as a male shaver, I'm intrigued by the old school style of shaving...)

senecando

• Bristles
Re: How do we minimize costs on razors?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 12:41:47 PM »
For shaving facehairs, I've found a safety razor to be pretty cheap, at least as far as the blades go. My girlfriend uses them as well.

I use these blades; 100 for ca. $11.

Edit: This is one place to look for safety razor advice for women.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:49:20 PM by senecando »

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 12:43:10 PM »
I'm more of a face-shaving type, but I make those disposable razors last for 3-4 months. Just because it says it's disposable doesn't mean you *must* throw it away after every use. There is also a disposable blade sharpener, which I've heard is good but haven't tried myself.

If you really want to see someone nerd about shaving costs, check out The Simple Dollar. But again, that's a male face-shaving take, so I'm not sure how much it applies.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 12:46:05 PM »
My roommate uses DSC, and I bought the Dorco 6-blade razors directly. I sent him the LifeHacker.com article explaining it all and laid out the numbers for him. He apparently can't read because he sent me a link to the DSC web site. Um.. anyway.. they work for me. I *hate* throwing out razors, so I've made each one last a couple months. (I also often only shave 1-2 times per week.) So my opinion is that buying them directly from Dorco is a solid choice. (Though as a male shaver, I'm intrigued by the old school style of shaving...)

Is this the article you write of?

http://lifehacker.com/5903771/forget-dollar-shave-clubbuy-the-same-high-quality-razors-for-a-third-of-the-price

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
Re: How do we minimize costs on razors (for women)?
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 12:47:37 PM »
I just edited title with '(for women)'.  Even though IMO a razor is a razor - I'd like to hear what the female take is here too - since my daughter is a lady.

neo von retorch

• Magnum Stache
    • Fi@retorch - personal finance tracking
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:55:35 PM »
Is this the article you write of?

http://lifehacker.com/5903771/forget-dollar-shave-clubbuy-the-same-high-quality-razors-for-a-third-of-the-price

It is. I can't speak to how these Dorco razors feel on legs, but given the choice between DSC and direct... direct wins! I paid $48 for the equivalent of $72 of DSC.

(And the prices are higher than when the LifeHacker.com article first ran. Links below for "men.")

http://www.dorcousa.com/sxa1040-6-pack-6-blade-system-for-men-cartridges/
24 cartridges for $32

http://www.dorcousa.com/sxa1000-sxa1040-6-blade-system-for-men-cartridge-combo-pack/
Handle + 4 cartridges for $16

angelagrace

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 01:18:35 PM »
I save by using the same razor entirely too long, and way longer than they suggest (it seems to work fine for a few months....) although I don't have very coarse hair.

Also, I've found razors are one thing that there are almost ALWAYS coupons for. So when I rarely buy them, I get the fairly cheap disposable packs with a coupon and it lasts me at least a year, and probably costs $5 or less?

Who REALLY needs 3-4 razor blades, for women anyway? They tend to just give me more razor burn. 2 blades work fine for me.

So, that's how I save. :D

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »
About once a year I end up finding a good coupon/discount combo at Target or Publix and get either a 4-pack of the Venus disposables or a 4 pack of the Venus blade refills without spending a small fortune.  Either one of those would last more than a year at the slow rate I go through them. 

Cleaning the razors well (removing any stuck hairs) and letting them dry in a vertical position between uses goes a long way to making them last a long time.  Also, I avoid the ones with the built in "shave cream" since that only seems to dull the blade faster and when it wears out you end up stabbing yourself with plastic. 

FWIW, this is coming from someone who shaves 1-2x/week so YMMV.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 02:24:42 PM »
For shaving facehairs, I've found a safety razor to be pretty cheap, at least as far as the blades go. My girlfriend uses them as well.

Can confirm safety razors also work well for legs. Dorco also happens to make my favorite safety razor blades (Platinum Stainless in the blue packaging, not avail. through their website but can be found elsewhere on the internet) which are $0.09 each and last me 3-4 weeks.

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 02:40:34 PM »
+1 for coupons
I probably have a stash that will last me for a couple of years, paid pennies for it
And although I got some of them for almost free, I still make them last and am careful how many I use
You could get into the coupon game, just doing drugstores for a couple of months and then get out and be
set with razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste and deodorant for months at a time

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 02:43:16 PM »
I'm a big fan of trading recurring expenses for a one timer.

Since you will always want to shave said hair, and it will never stop growing, have you run the numbers for laser hair removal?
It might be cheap in Malaysia.

mak1277

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 02:45:13 PM »
No love here for electric razors?  $25-40 for multiple years worth of use.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 02:51:29 PM »
In the end she opted for …

http://www.dorcousa.com/july-frugal-gal-pack/

… and a year's worth of shaving supplies are on their way. Thanks guys!

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 02:52:53 PM »
No love here for electric razors?  $25-40 for multiple years worth of use.

I've never tried electric razor (my shaving needs are legs & underarm).  Hmm.  Yeah - where IS the love?

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 03:04:48 PM »
Thanks to your help, my daughter:

Was spending $15-$25 per month on razors ($180 -$300 per yr)
Is now spending ($3 per month) $36 per year.

That is badass.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 03:11:17 PM »
I probably spend about $10 per year on razors.  I either get them from the dollar store or I get the cheapest I can find.  I generally make them last a month or two.  Even still, that sounds like a pretty good savings for your daughter.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 03:20:50 PM »
My female friends tell me that guy razors are way better and last way longer. Mileage varying, blah blah.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 03:36:17 PM »
Safety Razor.

http://www.classicshaving.com/razors/safety-razors.html

The Merkur classic is the most recommended for beginners (although it's not rocket science and I had 0 learning curve) and that is what I have.  After buying the razor over two years ago, I've spent a grand total of $10 on blades and I still have 5 or so left.  You adjust the tightness to what works.  The only negative is that you can't do a quick fly-by of the knees, but it takes and extra ten seconds to focus there.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 04:27:47 PM »
I buy the cheapest pack of disposable razors and use each razor until it gets too dull. I'm gobsmacked by the idea of a razor-of-the-month club. But then, I usually forget to shave my legs until I notice burrs getting stuck in the hairs. :)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 04:33:30 PM »
My husband ordered the women's version for me and men's version for him from Dorco several months ago.  I think the razors are great.  I struggle with ingrown hairs and razor burn, so I'm hesitant about new razors.  I would recommend either version for someone looking for middle ground (not brave enough to use a safety razor). 

I also use a cheap two blade razor (blue, cheap) for quick touch-ups.  I use my Dorco razor for legs, especially knees and ankles.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 05:35:02 PM »
i.e. 4 razors for $6/month
Woah, that's one razor per week!! I use the same disposable razor until it's blunt (like, 2 months?). I only shave my arm pits, below my knees, and my bikini line if I'm feeling keen. I shave every 2 days.

Woah... Am I gross for not replacing my razor sooner?? :-/

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »
I don't shave my face anymore, but when I still shaved, the single best thing you can do for razors is to clean them with rubbing alcohol to remove all the water. I regularly got 3-4 months out of a Gilette Fusion cartridge with that method.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
Best way to save:  Don't shave!

Actually my body hair is very fine and blond so I really don't shave very often.  I can use a razor for many months.  :)

Of course, the downside to this is I have to draw in my eyebrows because they are too light and fine.

mikecorayer

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 07:59:32 PM »
I use a safety razor, the only frustrating thing is finding that many stores no longer sell normal double-edge razor blades and only have cartridges. I also try to make the blades last as long as possible. Making sure to always dry the blade after use is always a good idea and you can also "sharpen" a blade by repeatedly running it along an old pair of jeans (in the opposite direction - don't try to shave the jeans). This technique also works well with cartridge-type blades and will help you get at least a few more shaves from each.

pipercat

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 08:05:06 PM »
I use the same disposable razor until it's blunt (like, 2 months?). I only shave my arm pits, below my knees, and my bikini line if I'm feeling keen. I shave every 2 days.

I hope not!  That's pretty much what I do too!

snellbert

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »
My husband turned me on to safety razors about a year ago. I have a Merkur double edged razor. The razor is ~$30 and blades run about $10 for 100 of them (Astra brand, not Merkur, they're all pretty much the same), but honestly, I've been using the same blade for the past 6 months. It's a close shave and not as scary as it looks. I'll never use cartridge razors again.

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2014, 08:21:05 AM »

I use the same disposable razor until it's blunt (like, 2 months?). I only shave my arm pits, below my knees, and my bikini line if I'm feeling keen. I shave every 2 days.

I hope not!  That's pretty much what I do too!

Depends on the person, do what works for you! :) For me, if I don't change the razor soon enough, my skin gets dry and itchy. I did not discover this for YEARS and thought I had some weird skin sensitivity or condition. Blarg. Now I use them 3-6 times before switching, and no problems :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2014, 08:21:29 AM »

In the end she opted for …

http://www.dorcousa.com/july-frugal-gal-pack/

… and a year's worth of shaving supplies are on their way. Thanks guys!

Thanks for posting this!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VillageIdiot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »

Can confirm safety razors also work well for legs. Dorco also happens to make my favorite safety razor blades (Platinum Stainless in the blue packaging, not avail. through their website but can be found elsewhere on the internet) which are $0.09 each and last me 3-4 weeks.

Any advice I can give my wife on using safety razors? I use cheap as dirt Derby's blades ($8 for 100) to shave my face, and I'm trying to get her off the Mach3 habit, but she reports hating my razor when she tried.

gradstudent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2014, 10:02:27 AM »
I'm a guy, but think razors are pretty much the same. I shave every day and have a thick beard. I used to go through a Mach 3 every week since if I used the razor longer, I got ingrown hairs. One simple trick-I dry my razor blade after each use by rubbing it down, or stropping it, on my towel/shorts/jeans. Since I started doing that, a blade lasts for 6-8 weeks at a minimum and I no longer get ingrown hairs. I think the same principle would apply for a woman.

Chloe358

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 12:58:02 PM »
+1 for coupons
I probably have a stash that will last me for a couple of years, paid pennies for it
And although I got some of them for almost free, I still make them last and am careful how many I use
You could get into the coupon game, just doing drugstores for a couple of months and then get out and be
set with razors, toothbrushes, toothpaste and deodorant for months at a time

+1

N

• Handlebar Stache
  • You must change your life. -Rainer Maria Rilke
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 01:19:55 PM »
+1 on the not shaving at all.
:)
I spend 0$ on shaving.
my husband does have a beard trimmer that is electric (and at least 8 yrs old now) and two sets of electric clippers for hair/neck/ any other trimming that needs done. the electric clippers were about 35$ ea and are about 4 years old now. replaced one that was really old-maybe 15 years?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 10:57:29 AM »
These prices are insane.  I shave when I get a hair cut (by my wife), then I shave about 3-4 weeks later.  Then I wait to shave til my next hair cut.  The wife will mandate facial shaving for anything we have to look "nice" for.   I use the same mach 3 blade for 3-4 shavings (about 2 months) before it gets dulled and demoted to a scrotum razor (which is surprisingly far less sensitive and prone to cuts than my face is).  Even giving in to "big razor" and purchasing a pack of mach 3 cartridge refills is only costing me like $12/yr.  I won't have to rebuy for a couple years.   The shaving cream I use is negligible.  I have bought maybe 3 bottles of shaving cream my entire life, and 1 of those was used to prank someone. 

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »
+1 to safety razor e.g Merkur, with double-edged blades from Amazon. Very cost-effective.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »
Safety razor for shaving (non-legs) and epilator for legs. As a woman who would have to shave every 2 days and has very thick black leg hair, the epilator is a lifesaver. Every couple of weeks and even when the hair grows back, thinner and lighter than when I shaved. The first time use is the worst and after that it doesn't even really hurt (first time does though, usually takes two different days to get it all when its been awhile, but the results last weeks).

MrsPotts

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 09:30:30 PM »
Last time I shaved my legs Carter was president.  Shave my pits monthly from may thru sept.  Think I have had the same razor forever.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 11:05:18 PM »
I buy basic men's razors at costco. Pack lasts me about a year and I shave legs and underarms about every other day

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2014, 05:15:54 AM »
Why shave?

Just let it grow into a wild mass of thick hair!

Plus, that way you'll never have to pay for her wedding.

Zette

• Stubble
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2014, 08:02:47 AM »
I just happened to be out of razor blades yesterday, and swung through the shaving section of Rite-Aid.  They have "generic" cartridges that fit the Venus razor, which worked out to about $1.50/cartridge. 

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2014, 10:19:05 AM »
Safety razor for shaving (non-legs) and epilator for legs. As a woman who would have to shave every 2 days and has very thick black leg hair, the epilator is a lifesaver. Every couple of weeks and even when the hair grows back, thinner and lighter than when I shaved. The first time use is the worst and after that it doesn't even really hurt (first time does though, usually takes two different days to get it all when its been awhile, but the results last weeks).

Can we talk about this and other (permanent/semipermanent) hair removal options?  Are there any that are Mustachian?  I have a real hard time cleaning up the bikini line due to all the cycling (uh let's not get into details here), and I recently had a similar issue under my arm, and I'm really fed up with shaving.  Is there any way to justify the price of a permanent hair removal?  I feel like technology must have developed since I last read about this sort of thing 10 years ago? 

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »
A lot of times laser hair removal isn't really permanent.  You have to go back for upkeep.  Or so I've heard.  Costco sells a laser hair removal product, but it doesn't say "permanent" anywhere on it.

I'm not sure why, but the only place I "need" to shave is my underarms.  My bikini line is very self contained and my leg hairs, though dark (i'm Asian) are quite fine and short, so it's barely noticeable.

It's been mentioned only once in 40 replies, but I've been thinking about getting an epilator for my underarms.  But I still have 4 disposables I got for free (w/ a coupon) to go through, and the disposable I currently have in the shower is nearly 2 years old.  Probably time to chuck it, but it still seems to work.  Maybe in 8 more years I'll get an epilator, if no more free razor coupons come my way.  (Unlikely.)  But for others that need to shave more parts more frequently, I'd consider an epilator.